Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I enjoy the podcasts where the host is obviously just going through the motions of something they're being paid to promote that they clearly hate.

There's a politics podcast I listen to, which I shall be discrete about naming, where they're advertising blinkest. It's one of those "Don't have time to read a book! We'll sell you our hand-crafted abridged version." sites. And the subtle air of withering contempt it's delivered with amused me.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

How much "What's going on in the outside world" do SSBN crew get on a patrol anyway?

I'm imagining some crewmen who went to sea in January and getting a hell of a shock when they come back.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Early modern question for Hey Guns and others knowledgable in the period.

Law suits are often mentioned in that period discussion and I was wondering how do law suits work in the era anyway?

Specifically. I was wondering who served them, the suitbringer or his proxy, an agent of the court or what.

Also what sort of reach did they have. So if someone came to your town, wronged you in a fashion that called for legal remedy (you say) and left to the next town over. Could you still sue them, have to sue them in that town, find a court with a jurisdiction that covers both etc, etc. What if they were foreigners or indigents?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

How much small arms do warships carry in their ships armouries?

Do smaller ships that are more likely to be boarding carry proportionally more than their bigger cousins.

Just how much would a Battleship likely to have stowed away.

I know modern warships sometimes carry stingers or their equivalent SAM. What about ATGM's like the Javelin, or mortars/grenade launchers?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

BalloonFish posted:

The British were much closer to the Americans in methods, but not in quantity - which really goes for tanks and everything else in WW2.

The Germans tended to build their tanks on a 'workshop' basis, rather than a 'production line' basis - more akin to how railway locomotives were built than, say, cars or trucks (not entirely surprising since most of the firms that took on tank contracts for the Germans were locomotive or similar heavy equipment builders). Each tank was built up on one spot by a team of workers who built the tank up from start to finish, carrying out all the jobs and tasks required between them. Multiple tanks were on the workshop floor at any one point, each with its own team of multi-skilled workers and generally being produced in batches, with each tank in each batch at roughly the same stage of construction at any one time.

The Americans, British and Soviets generally used the production line system, which produced tanks in a flow rather than batches. The hull castings (or whatever the basic structural component of the tank was) started off at one end of the factory and physically progressed along and around the site. At each station a worker (or group of workers) performed one specific task involved in the construction of the tank and the same people did the same task on every tank that passed them by. All the tanks on the line were at a different state of build and only the one at the end was complete at any one time.

Would the German workshop system be any more 'durable' for want of a better word, when it came to having the crap bombed out of them. Maybe less disruptable than the super-efficient production lines the allies could build in safety.

For example in Ensigns recent Jadgpanther article the main production facility gets bombed 10 times, and has 60% of it's buildings flattened in the largest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Grenrow posted:

I saw one on a sales site once that was basically a big chunky backsword looking blade on a standard 1845 pattern hilt. So my guess would be that the backsword one was probably an officer who had seen some real hand to hand combat and wanted a beefier blade.

:hmmyes: Richard Sharpe nods approvingly.