Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Random uniform question: When did name tags/strips/things on military uniforms become a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Do you mean name tapes like "John Q. Dickface" on modern uniforms or do you mean like other forms of unit identification?

the former

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

JcDent posted:

Oh God, not again, not again :gonk:

They're not not not considering LCS take 2, if I may speak for bewbies (bewbies, let me know if I'm right?) from a more limited knowledge base. They mean modular as "future-proofed without necessarily needing to open holes in the hull", not at all as "modular" as LCS was supposed to be, which was absolutely a disaster. My source, however, is CRS stuff.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

HEY GUNS posted:

edit: If you all ever see something online calling itself "Third Position," that's fascist. "Third" if left wing and right wing are "first" and "second." Similarly for anything calling itself "metapolitics" or claiming to "get beyond politics" in general

Emmanuel Macron's party describes itself as "beyond politics". They're fascist?

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

HEY GUNS posted:

i've tracked some guys from enlisted to officer in the 30yw. fritz redlich estimated that in his opinion there was no to little bigotry against common-born officers, only that they were hampered by beginning their officer career later than they otherwise would have, so they did not have enough time to advance as far as the others. even so, aldringen was very rich when he got shot in the head.

So. Really mobile folks like mercenaries in the (nominal) HRE, did they usually have wills if they had a lot of money?

Did they have to have a separate will for each tiny jurisdiction?

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Tias posted:

No one knows anything about Jedburgh training and equipment?

I'm guessing the answer is "Probably not; because a lot of the Jedburgh teams formed the basis for later special operations forces, the details might not even be available."

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Tias posted:

I was just about to rebuff you (I mean, surely the company that made SEALs in Vietnam and Michael's Army: Romania in WW2 wouldn't make over-specific splats!), but it of course loving turns out that they made an entire book about the Fairbairn Combat System and how it was taught to Commandos :homebrew:

title?

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
One thing people forget is that the Joint Tank Plant in Lima, Ohio...has probably never actually done full "3 shifts, balls to the wall" production.

I actually think that the biggest bottleneck would be the lack of skilled tradespeople and machinists.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Weird milhist question provoked by HOI4:

Are there any centralized lists of where US officers of general officer/flag officer rank were assigned on a given date (say 1 Jan 1936)?

IE, "Major General bob is assigned as Commanding Officer, 1st Duck-Cavalry Division"

Mostly this is curiosity, but I was also thinking of doing a submod that, instead of leaving commander slots blank and me having to assign them with each restart after major patches, would have commanders assigned where they historically were at scenario start, so that I need only do the work once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

feedmegin posted:

Especially since that is more fully known as the United Kingdom of Great Britain AND (NORTHERN) IRELAND, said Union of which occurred in 1801. 1707 just created Great Britain. At least get the geopolitical entity right. :negative:

(And which UK troops were stationed in the Irish Republic in 1930, exactly?)

Treaty Ports were a thing til 1938.