Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Secretly neither the US or Canada is over the War of 1812.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Austria: First Victims of Hitler

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When were elephants last used as proper war elephants rather than beasts of burden? (Did they get shredded by 19th/20th century firepower :( ?)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Popular analysis of the Bush administration, like a shitload of historical organisations, seems to forget a key fact: no matter how silly the idea may seem, many people were true believers.

E: this seems to hit especially hard when it comes to most moderns talking religious conflict. Everything absolutely must be cackling Scrooges manipulating the masses because it is impossible that anyone ever genuinely cared about Catholicism vs Orthodoxy vs Protestantism vs Islam vs...

And of course the peasants of Merdeville murdered my ancestors because of usury and not because they had any religious conviction.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 24, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

feedmegin posted:

To be fair, if there had been Tsushima 2.0 and Japan had won it, we'd all be posting in here (in German) asking why didn't America use its subs to sink Japanese naval ships rather than futile efforts to interdict Japan's transports.

Well some of us wouldn't be here, actually.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

Everyone who was conceived after the war wouldn’t be here because the slightest change would scramble half of their genes and result in a different person. It eould snowball from there.

Well yeah but you know what I meant, a not-insubstantial portion of "us" assuming we somehow existed would have been murdered by fascists for the crime of existing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SeanBeansShako posted:

All this engine talk is just making me more excited for that sim where you restore WW2 vehicles from the ground up.

Surviving crew members crowded outside in a ditch while their Firefly burns, somebody mutters 'This would never have happened if we wore our tin hats.'

http://www.mortarinvestments.eu/products/tanks-2/t-34-35

goon project?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

JcDent posted:

Did ze Germans give tankers helmets?

It's nazis. Who among nazis considers practicality before they consider making the master race look sexy?

Wehrmacht panzer crews get to wear proper fascist blackshirts instead of the less famous but very nazi brownshirts.

E: and in honour of my grandfather who'd probably be disgusted at the idea of a gay jewish grandson and the fact that Alsace is in Grand-Est now, a special shout-out to the non-functional uniform of the air force panzer division

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 25, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SeanBeansShako posted:

I know what the head gear is for.

Most tank crew get the gently caress out fast when things go south so I feel while it does protect you from spalling or debris at certain angles a beret or soft cap isn't going to get caught on a lever or gear stick and cost you those few precious seconds from understanding why your tank is nicknamed a Ronson lighter.

I don't think a soft helmet is going to be any different from a hat in that aspect.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Why the gently caress are you anglais like this

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

LingcodKilla posted:

Barely be stopped means hit in head with hammer.

https://youtu.be/lvBHq5PW0Ag

Why does shooting a helmet with a handgun take eight loving minutes?

no one cares bang bang done I don't want to watch you goatee loser.

e: spoiler alert the stalhelm does not prevent your glorious aryan skull from being brainsplattered if someone shoots you in the head with a pistol

e2: why is a company making helmets with swastika logos in 2019

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 25, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nenonen posted:

Brits did have tanker helmets from the get go, but for some reason tankers preferred not to use them?

Lend Lease tanks came with American issue helmets, and in 1944 a new steel helmet based on the British airborne troopers helmet came. But you don't see them in photographs a lot. According to various internet sources steel helmets were mostly used when dismounted or when in open-topped vehicles. US crews would also put the steel shell of an infantry helmet on their tanker rigging when serving in tank destroyers and other open-toppers.

The same dudes who thought bright red berets were more tactical than green helmets: a good source

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Why do tankers get special hats/helmets at all rather than just wearing infantry helmets?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How did militaries before things like photographs and dog tags go about catching deserters? Like if I'm a frenchman from Picardy in 1793 and successfully ditch my uniform for some dutch peasant clothes at the siege of Maastricht, am I just hoping I don't run into anyone who'd recognize me? Are non-local francophone men just assumed to be deserters until proven otherwise? Do I get to try my hand at a dutch shibboleth? How many rando francophone men get taken for deserters and how many deserters get home?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My grandpa was a generic dude in 1939 and a bleeding-heart nazi in 1946, apparently. Some soldiers aren't always the same.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

is that an unpopular opinion? gently caress the conservatives imo.

e: daydrinking and also working on some revolution poo poo for school didn't mean to start a Did Robespierre Do Anything Wrong derail plz ignore this post

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 30, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
He also towered a head over everyone, you have to know that to do him justice.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ninjahedgehog posted:

Quoting this not only for the — 'ow you zay — incroyable French accent but also a followup.

If Allied forces making their way through France came in contact with a rural village like this and a local wanted to point out a Nazi position or give them a fresh croissant or whatever, would it be more likely that the local would know English or one of the soldiers would know French? Would an American or British platoon have an interpreter with them? I assume the Canadians would have a certain percentage of Quebecois in their troop so it wouldn't be an issue.

Québécois and english units in the canadian army were (are?) separated. That said, le Régiment de la Chaudière landed on D-Day and had the happy coincidence of sounding bizarrely similar to the norman locals.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

French does have spelling rules, and once you get a middling-sized vocabulary you can make a pretty good guess at how to pronounce a word you've read, or how to spell a word you've heard. Those spelling rules are just inordinately fond of letters that affect how other letters are pronounced rather than contributing directly themselves.

learners also suffer from the fact that modern spoken french does not really resemble written academic french other than being both technically correct french, so even if you're on top of your french class you're going to sound all "greetings fellow kids" as soon as you talk to a french person.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 31, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
tbh at this point casual discussion of the american revolution is like casual discussion of panthers or Stalin in that everyone trips over themselves to disagree with the wrong-but-popular narrative that they keep being wrong but in the opposite way

e: for example how leftists today will explain the Boston Massacre, in which terrified cops opened fire into a crowd of civilians for the crime of yelling and throwing poo poo at them, as somehow being a justified thing the cops did.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 31, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
people call lots of things revolutions and have for centuries but actually you'll find that if you only look at the revolutions that I think are revolutions and not the other ones, my english is objectively correct.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fury

"Meanwhile, Adolf Hitler, a.k.a. "Kung Führer", enters the timeline and remotely guns down the police chief and attacks the precinct through a mobile phone."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Fascist Italy: the sickest battleships, the best biplanes, and completely prepared for invasion from the north

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Now I'm kind of wondering what Russia would be like in an alternate universe where humans can't get drunk.

Much like the good ol' USA, it'd be part of a blasted hellscape roamed by mutant kiwis and argentines.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898006&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I don't go to GBS but this goon propaganda thread is a pro-click for anyone who enjoys both milhist and The Something Awful Forms

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's double stupid cuz it seems like admitting responsibility is the best thing you can do in this situation. Like imagine a world with a nazi yasukuni shrine. I can't imagine Poland, Israel, Russia, etc having quite so decent a relationship with that Germany.

(then again those all did have good relations with the DDR, eehhhhhhhhhhhh)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wait how many football fields is that?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
fwiw our family is literally french jews but my dad's dad was in the Wehrmacht, and my cousin was telling me how badass it was that my grandpa mowed down enemy hordes (in Italy mostly so uh, ok United States Army cousin) when he was in and out of Iraq deployments and I was about 10. He's still pretty loving fash adjacent these days too.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The current court would overturn it but tbh I think that even US-style freedom of expression could justify banning nazi iconography.

It's not "free speech" to say "I literally am going to come to your house tonight and kill you, Edgar Allen Ho, you jewish human being!" I could call the cops for that and because I'm white they'd probably be arrested.

A swastika armband says, quietly but clearly, "I want to kill you and your whole family, Edgar Allen Ho!"

And hate crimes are already a thing.

I'd say that openly displaying nazi iconography, klan iconography, rebel flags, etc is a direct threat to me and to everyone who is queer or jewish. It's a direct threat to every minority who has to see it. It's a threat, it's assault, and it's a hate crime. It's equally as not protected as "yelling fire in a crowded theatre."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

uh, his jaw looks a bit too attached. i want realism.

e: I missed it but fuckin lol at the poster up there apologizing for loving fascist monuments.

e2: gort

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 12, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phanatic posted:

That would very probably be considered a true threat. It's not just a vague statement, it's one that "on its face and in the circumstances in which it is made is so unequivocal, unconditional, immediate, and specific as to the person threatened, as to convey a gravity of purpose and imminent prospect of execution."

Note those requirements: unequivocal, unconditional, immediate, and specific.

That would not. It's not unequivocal. It's not unconditional. It's definitely not immediate and it's certainly not anywhere near as specific as your first exa

You could say that. No court operating under USA jurisprudence would.

The whole "yelling fire in a crowded theatre" trope was created by a Supreme Court judge who wanted to imprison people for the terrible crime of...opposing the draft. When you find yourself invoking it, it's a good sign you should reconsider your premises in regards to free speech.

I used a pop culture statement in thinking that nazis are actually always bad and an internet lawyer line by line refuted me.

:thermidor:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nessus posted:

We kind of have an unusual level of idolatry about our soldiers here in the US, historically speaking. Or so it seems, anyway. Did states like Prussia valorize the common soldier like we sort of do, or was it just the officers/leaders?

We’ve spread this to the commonwealth these days, leading to hilarious :911: facebook shares that have been sloppily edited from country to country. “Australia’s founding fathers died for us at Vimy Ridge. DEPORT ALL MUSLIMS.”

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nenonen posted:

I love how carefully the line between II and III gradients skirts around south eastern Finland.

I love how a 2000s french publisher is producing a map of the 90s in 1977.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The dual-purpose shovel is what we all need eh, hello bonjour

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HEY GUNS posted:

considering you don't have to drive up to the oil well and stab it to death in single combat...

Calling it "single" combat seems like a disservice to the whales. They can take a bunch of us.

also let's never forget that we have called the cops on whales: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4iQrDuf1r8

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Rip the faultless IJN, whose actions made no difference one way or the other as to whether the USN would rain shells over Oahu.

Can you believe these yankees though?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
lol @ being english ever

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

xthetenth posted:

It's the Navy's land camo, so it's been de facto only for SEALs. The Marines hold the rights to MARPAT jealously partially because it gave a distinctive look for recruiting.

The fact that they can do this seems so silly. It's not the biggest deal in the world but surely someone could say "gently caress you guys hand it over" if it was?

Actually is there any particular story about how the US Marines became a full fourth branch in almost all respects (sorry coast guard) instead of being more subservient to the Navy? It seems like by World War 2 they're already doing they're own thing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dude looks like a customized COD character from 2010.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
i love you all but less jargon please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Koramei posted:

Well definitely not everyone, they slept lying down in East Asia.

Although often while resting their head on a pillow that looked along these lines:

Which have always seemed like they must be extremely uncomfortable to me, although I suppose I've never tried it out myself.

That poo poo makes me feel that everyone wasn't so much drunk as sleep-deprived