Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Wow. I think I've managed not to post in two threads now. This "being a grownup" thing really eats into your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GUNS posted:

good lord what have you been doing
Went back to college, got a degree, got a job, did some certs, got married. You know, the usual really.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GUNS posted:

Fair enough. I'm engaged, my postdoc begins in October, and i'm legally a guy now. The usual
Solid adulting all round :hf:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ensign Expendable posted:

Also compressed air starters. But yes, the worst case scenario is that you get out and crank. The same thing was true for cars until relatively recently.
I'm not sure I've ever noticed a car with a hand crank that wasn't that one dude Mr. Burns-ing his way around town here.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There were cases of allied AOP planes being "shot down" early in the Normandy campaign as the air turbulence caused by a bunch of 16" shells from naval support gunfire is enough to properly gently caress up an Aster or Piper Cub's handling. It's a desperate thing to try, but you may as well if that's all you've got.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have the Zvezda kit, but that's basically no use to you if you really want the printing experience. It's a nice kit though, as all of their 15mm kits have been.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

chitoryu12 posted:

For that matter, no helmets protected from good bullets until Kevlar.
Fixed for HEY GUNS.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

zoux posted:

Oh I bet you could do a great ethnography on regional US BBQ variations and socioeconomic conditions that created them. Especially since pretty much every major ethnic or cultural group in the US has some tradition of outdoor grilling.
Yeah... pretty much.. but not us :smith:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

zoux posted:

Go get a cheeky nandos about it
That's also not us, but I may as well really.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

zoux posted:

I was going to say that violent revolutions rarely stop when the regime is overthrown and they end up eating each other, but is that true on balance? I wouldn't necessarily count wars for independence as revolutions, we didn't exactly hang George III in 1783
We pretty much went straight into a civil war when we got rid of George V, even though he was fine on the next island over.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GUNS posted:

Everyone deserves rights under the law, even your enemies.

Also when armed soldiers are used as crowd control, people panic, people hear things, and then shooting starts. They were probably terrified.
No current politics!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's a joke about Soldier F. The trial starts next month.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CoffeeBooze posted:

I had no clue what this was until I looked it up. Wow. I’m surprised it hasn’t at least received a little coverage in the US.
It probably did at the time, but this is a pretty low-key dispute that has kind of vanished in the Brexit omnishambles.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Trin Tragula posted:

You sure about that? If we went out into a high street round where I live, I'd be willing to bet that fewer than half the restaurants you'd see would have the staff break up fights inside, and far fewer than half the buses would see the driver take more notice than pulling over and maybe calling for police. The cultural status of violence is not as universal as you seem to think it is.
TBH I've watched things change in Ireland in my lifetime to where people are refusing to get involved now becaues they fear the consequences of breaking up a fight only for one of the participants to decide you assaulted them and to try press charges. It's... weird. Very much seems to be an imported cultural fear for some reason, since it's not a thing you actually hear about happening at all.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Conor McGregor is mostly known for picking fights with people engaged in an active gang war here right now. Dude literally heads into gang bars and starts swinging. It's a miracle he's not dead TBH.

The Lone Badger posted:

Boxers target the head almost exclusively. Since MMA fighters hands are less padded they're less inclined to go for headshots.
(Punching someone in the head without boxing gloves hurts)
It also drastically increases the strength of the hit, causing TBI pretty easily.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What's the somewhat Sherman-esque thing behind it? A Ram?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think spending much of the immediate three decades following the war still embroiled in South-East Asian jungle hellwar didn't do much for the appetite of US audiences for media set in the Pacific theatre either TBH.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

FAUXTON posted:

You could do a Dunkirk style delivery where you've got three component stories that cover different overlapping periods of time - that way you're covering a carrier group's admiral for 18 hrs as they chase down and engage an enemy fleet, a ship captain for 6 hrs at the height of the battle as his crew fights off airstrikes while spotting strikes of their own, and idk Dick Best over a 2 hour window where he puts his bombs down the elevator of Akagi.

From what I've heard, though, that 'overlapping stories at different speeds' thing was not very well received.
A lot of people really hated it for some reason. I thought it was great :shrug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

an early 30s war would have been interesting

all surplus FTs and tankettes and high power biplane fighters
The Chaco war had some tank use... on one side.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

feedmegin posted:

As has often been the case in history, using Army troops to do riot/crowd control is a seriously bad idea. See also: Peterloo massacre, Boston massacre, Bloody Sunday etc.
Which one?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They did get the armoured cars into Croke Park a year later.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Schadenboner posted:

More like "1 KT", ammirite?
:hmmyes:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GUNS posted:

What would you have charged that guy with?
"Communications Act offences" apparently. Potentially violating a superinjunction too, now. The UK's courts can just declare any arbitrary thing to be illegal to say and it is.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GUNS posted:

how is he alt right adjacent?
TBH my impression of the dude isn't so much that he's alt-right adjacent, he's alt-right adjacent adjacent. He always seems to defend the people who get attacked for defending the alt-right.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GUNS posted:

"i believe the progress we have made in the past 500 years is so beneficial that i consider it a spiritual obligation to encourage us to make more progress by writing this book" may be factually incorrect but it isn't alt right.
I'm sure that's relevant to where he says things like "identity politicians, political correctness police, and social justice warriors" while describing the modern left-wing, and why people like Jesse Singal leap to his defence in the NYT opinion pages, but okay.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Epicurius posted:

I'm going to give you the least satisfying answer ever, which is we don't know. We don't know why the Roman's adopted segmentata or why they abandoned it. We don't even know for sure which soldiers wore it. Some of the art, like on Trajan's Column, show legionaries wearing segmentata and auxiliaries wearing hamata, but we're pretty sure that was just a way to distinguish them on the column, because we know most legionaries wore hamata even when segmentata was in use.
From my half-remembered secondary school education and extra reading, it was hypothesised that this was due to the cost of segmentata vs the hamata via amount of metal, and a move from fighting pike formations in Hellenic east to large sword formations in Gaul, with the relevant armours being better for the preferred enemy weapons. It kind of ignores that javellins always existed and that the Romans didn't expand in one direction at a time only while making a questionable economic argument.

I also have basically no source for this, as my teacher helpfully provided us with photocopies of the sections of some old book he thought were relevant without any title page, authorship information, or citations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SlothfulCobra posted:

X-Wing Alliance actually. It's just real neat whenever I get a mission in the Sabra or Otana and I can get MK-09 to start shooting at a target while I'm either running away or maneuvering around to get a shot on it with the forward guns. Having to keep the turrets' range of fire in mind when manuevering kinda reminds me of swinging around for broadsides in Sid Meier's Pirates too, which I guess space combat tends to borrow from both air and sea combat.
It's super handy to just bind that to a single key to let MK go hog wild whenever you've not got anything in front of you to shoot at.

bewbies posted:

Where does this mix of stuff come from? Like, how did we end up choosing these three historical periods to recreate, of sorts? Has there ever been any worthwhile study on it? Why people gravitate to these three periods and places and so on? Also, why do they all speak with English accents?
"Yanks :shrug:".

Fangz posted:

I think if you accept the premise there, what would inevitably happen is that all the advanced space civilisations decamp to live on spaceships full-time.
This is a current plot point in Schlock Mercenary. The Milky Way has "rings" composed of successive galactic civilisations which have reached the point where planet death is the best way to deal with an enemy, and just noped out in dark-running Dyson spheres.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MrYenko posted:

The problem with the “new jet every five years” approach isn’t the aerospace industry being incapable of delivering on those kind of timetables; The problem is the USAF being the customer. The federal government is no longer capable of working on those sorts of timelines, because even a simple program decision cannot be made in a timely manner.

Hell, I’d be surprised if the USAF could agree on a specification for the first round of new jets in less than five years, even if you started counting from today. It’s been eight years since the last Raptor was built. They’re still arguing about what shape the loving specification program will take for the next fighter.
Presumably the idea is to kick off a spec every five years, so that you have a long lead-in time, but then a new fighter appears every five years after the first. Even if this takes 10-15 years before the first results are deployed it's still going to be faster and more incremental than the current method.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

FrangibleCover posted:

Thinking you have to ascend stairs to get to the first floor of a building?
TBH thinking you don't is more likely to be a US intel paroblem.

HEY GUNS posted:

that you think of mercenary service as a "professional trade" at all means that i (and people who agree with me) are already winning.

people didn't used to say that, from the 19th century into the mid 20th the usual description was that fighting for money instead of for the "nation state" was immoral
On the other hand, lots of professional trades are regarded as immoral by various groups for various reasons right now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I love how a 2000s french publisher is producing a map of the 90s in 1977.
Hachette were founded in 1826, although didn't start using that name until later.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

FrangibleCover posted:

We still have this. LatwPIAT and I know a Russian guy who we talk about Cold War stuff with and a constant bone of contention between us is whether or not a Brigade is real and whether a Regiment is an important operational building block of an army or a collection of stupid toasts with a goat attached.
Why did you put the same thing in twice at the end there?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Randarkman posted:

for Ireland and such it might seem that most of the slaves ended up on the domestic market so to speak.
What's being said here is that we used to keep each other as slaves right up until the Normans made us stop... mostly.

Platystemon posted:

what the gently caress

I’m not going to leverage on a tube that will, tomorrow, be the only thing keeping a sizeable explosive heading downrange and not, like, all around and also inside of me.
TBH it looks like the kind of thing where you slide the blade into the ground at a shallow angle and then raise the tube to fire so that it doesn't slide back and throw your ranging off rather than using it as an actual shovel. Bigger artillery guns have similar "shovels" on the end of their carriages too for similar reasons.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 20, 2019

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
This could be another "knee mortar" thing, where someone doesn't quite understand the logic behind a tool and fucks themselves up with it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Bren gun is a solid example actually, given that the usual procedure was for one dude to operate it while one or two others just wore a bandolier with four extra magazines in pouches on it for him. Other than just sticking near him to chuck him a magazine once in a while they were expected to use their rifles while he fired, unless doing some funky long range shite with the distance sights on it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Mr Enderby posted:

And how does you assessment of the plausibility shift if I tell you that the gardener, and therefore presumably the nco/officer, was from Glasgow.
I'm amazed he didn't just bang the shell off his head to prime it and throw it at them then.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bewbies posted:

They've been pretty standard issue for any unit with trucks (which is a lot of different kinds of units) since forever. Usually two trucks in a platoon had mounts, one would get an M2, one a Mk 19.

Also one time some dumbass forgot to put the pin in a Mk 19 and I was riding in the mount in order to look cool as a second lieutenant and the thing fell out when we went over a bump and it pinned my hand down to the mount and there literally wasn't anything I could do about it until we stopped and someone heard me swearing and people came and lifted it up and my hand was broken and I was pissed. This is my "Mk 19 is horribly bulky and heavy" anecdote.
Well, that settles it. Grenade launchers suck, 2" mortars for all!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I love that they didn't even remove the bolt so there's a slim chance that the Jawa's "Ion Blaster" could still fire.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Phanatic posted:

I think Hugo Boss is designing for Macy’s.

I saw that, or similar, in Arnott's in Dublin a couple of months back and yup, it makes you stop and wonder.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Randarkman posted:

I don't know about the Jawa guns being functional, but a bunch of the guns used in Star Wars were functional, at least the Sterling SMGs they used for the guns the Stormtroopers use, and were used to fire blanks during shooting (which I believe was pretty helpful in making the gun battles more real and not having the actors and extras just pretend to be firing guns, also helped the editors in deciding where to put in laser blasts), in the original Star Wars you can see ejected casings a couple of times when they weren't edited out for whatever reason.
The Jawa ones being bolt action rifles just seem particularly odd, because they still have the whole bolt there. The Sterling is a little bit more "black metal tube" than the SMLE is, so it's not as obvious how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

chitoryu12 posted:

When you actually see it on film it's not an issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDonCjhFdC0
I mean the Sterling SMG based guns are harder to intuit the workings of from the outside. The SMLE is a standard bolt action gun and those I'm at least slightly familair with.

ETA: it also implies that the Jawa's ion gun is a bolt action, because, ye know, the bolt is still there.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 22, 2019