Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«52 »
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

I only know of Michigan through the show "Happy Days" and the game "Hell Report: Michigan".

That game's set in Chicago, Illinois, OP. The great state of Michigan doesn't feature in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

Statistically you'd think that I'd sometimes fluke into typing a decent post. Nah. Only the most tedious, shitty posts, all day every day baby!

Don't bother engaging me, I don't ever get the hints to fuck off.

And Happy Days was set in Milwaukee

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

It's your HPV, Veronica. I'm just carrying it.

feedmegin posted:

I miss Bell's Hopslam from when I lived there

I miss Bell's Hopslam too. Most of the Bell's non-seasonal releases are still distributed in Columbus, which is nice but Hopslam is nowhere to be found around here.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I miss Bell's Hopslam too. Most of the Bell's non-seasonal releases are still distributed in Columbus, which is nice but Hopslam is nowhere to be found around here.

You think you have problems finding it, I live in now

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Why is there a part of Michigan that's not attatched to the rest of Michigan that makes no sense. They got a nice mitt shaped state why isn't the other part just more Wisconsin?

Because Michigan and Ohio had a fight over Toledo and da U.P. was the constellation prize.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_War

Michigan definitely got the better end of the deal

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

feedmegin posted:

You think you have problems finding it, I live in now

But you can drink a ton of Wychwood's Hobgoblin on the cheap and that's my favorite beer.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 3, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Spent my Summers as a kid on the Lake Huron shore and loved every minute of it. Went back for the first time in over 40 years and was pleasantly surprised that the area hasn't changed. Here's a pic of Cooke Dam lake on the AuSable river from when we were there in July:

And yeah, the beer is awesome.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

ive lived here my entire life and as far as midwestern shitholes go, its better than most.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

the beer is good and the weed is ok.

Minimal Ass-Piss
Jul 30, 2008

Traverse city is probably my favorite place in the state. It claims to be the cherry capital of the world. It's located on the northern end of the lower peninsula, right on the coast of lake Michigan. It's full of great places to eat and drink. There's even a nice ice cream company that seems to offer exclusive flavors at each restaurant you go to.

As others have pointed out, we're a state that doesn't like to be sober. There are great breweries, wineries, meaderies, and even some distilleries. Many of these places don't have wide distribution, so you can only go there to get it. Two of my favorites are Acoustic meads and Rare Bird. The wineries are all really beautiful and there are many options for wine tours.

It's also a great place to spend some time outdoors. I love riding my bike around Old Mission Peninsula. It's also not too far from the sleeping bear dunes. The annual cherry festival and film festival are also pretty fun, if you're looking for other things to do.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Michigan summers are the best. mid to upper 70s during the day, perfect for beach and hikes. 60s during the night, perfect for campfires. repeat every day. don't visit Michigan during the winter.

Glenn Quebec
Oct 30, 2005

That's because our downstream reality reflects an upstream case but I'm going to violate it.

I'm still lolling that someone's highlight of Michigan was a Quicken Loans tour loving lmao

Chomp8645
Sep 1, 2006

Vvardenfell awaits.

feedmegin posted:

That game's set in Chicago, Illinois, OP. The great state of Michigan doesn't feature in it.

You're right I forgot about that.

Perhaps Michigan is like a discount Illinois then?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

Statistically you'd think that I'd sometimes fluke into typing a decent post. Nah. Only the most tedious, shitty posts, all day every day baby!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Spent my Summers as a kid on the Lake Huron shore and loved every minute of it. Went back for the first time in over 40 years and was pleasantly surprised that the area hasn't changed. Here's a pic of Cooke Dam lake on the AuSable river from when we were there in July:

And yeah, the beer is awesome.

Until my grandma passed away a few years ago, we used to canoe down the AuSable river ever year. It was a great time to drink an entire fifth of lemon flavored vodka mixed with lemonade. Then we'd get back to the cabin and eat ribs until we wanted to die.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

Also, Michigan has the second best Ren Faire in the country, just behind New York.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

cnut posted:

I've been all over Michigan. Everywhere from Port Huron to Flint to Detroit. Everyone I met was very nice to me so no complaints here.

"All over Michigan", highlighted purple as described.

(I'm in that purple triangle)

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I recently learned vernors is a Michigan only thing. It’s pretty much the best mass produced ginger ale in existence.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

Telebite posted:

New Holland > Founders

Also, KBS is overrated, and it's now virtually impossible to get. (Frankly I don't see why they don't just follow the wine business model - which is simple supply and demand - and simply charge hundreds of dollars a bottle for it.)

Anyways, drink New Hollland Dragon's Milk.

funny enough the specialty founders beers are pretty easy to get in Canada, I buy like 12 KBS a year when they come out here.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Also, Michigan has the second best Ren Faire in the country, just behind New York.

Yup, the Michigan Renaissance Festival is seriously great. It's massive with top quality vendors, solid food and drinks, and you walk into what feels like a fairy forest before getting to the entrance.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DrManiac posted:

I recently learned vernors is a Michigan only thing. It’s pretty much the best mass produced ginger ale in existence.

Vernors has this weird Pepto Bismo aftertaste.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

lmao at the cherry capital of the world being in Michigan. ok guys.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

Yup, the Michigan Renaissance Festival is seriously great. It's massive with top quality vendors, solid food and drinks, and you walk into what feels like a fairy forest before getting to the entrance.

I talked to one of the Zucchini Brothers about how New York ren faire uses Michigan as a recruiting ground for new acts. He's a super nice guy, I just wish his partner hadn't retired from the act.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

The Walrus posted:

lmao at the cherry capital of the world being in Michigan. ok guys.

Traverse City is legit one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I just assumed every area had one like it. Didn't realize it was top tier. I love going to it.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

Ravendas posted:

I just assumed every area had one like it. Didn't realize it was top tier. I love going to it.

The Ohio Renaissance Festival is okay but it's like less than half the size and I miss the Michigan ren faire so much. I'll have to go back one of these days.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Ravendas posted:

"All over Michigan",

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

I'm in Ohio, dying to check out UP. Ideally I would like to do some backwoods camping and hiking, but I understand you don't want to be dumb about it and possibly need some sort of permit. Anyone want to shed some light.

Neighbor might take me snowmobile trekking this winter!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

interwhat posted:

I'm in Ohio, dying to check out UP. Ideally I would like to do some backwoods camping and hiking, but I understand you don't want to be dumb about it and possibly need some sort of permit. Anyone want to shed some light.

Neighbor might take me snowmobile trekking this winter!

Go cliff diving and jump into a waterfall in the UP.

Not in the winter of course though.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Personally I recommend visiting Bronners CHRISTmas Wonderland!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

Traverse City is legit one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

what does that have to do with cherries

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Michigan takes better care of its natural resources than most states, and is worth visiting for that and the proliferation of good local breweries alone. It's really incredible to show people what the Great Lakes look like when your state isn't allowing people to dump toxic sludge in them.

DrManiac posted:

Ale-8-One, Kentucky and outlying regions.

feedmegin posted:

Personally I recommend visiting Bronners CHRISTmas Wonderland!

no srs.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

The Walrus posted:

(Traverse City imports most of their cherries, but how the hell else are you going to get the Blue Angels to visit?)

Minimal Ass-Piss
Jul 30, 2008

The Walrus posted:

Apparently they produce somewhere around 75% of the US supply of tart cherries. It's also home to the national cherry festival as I mentioned. The festival has been been going since 1924.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

sorry op, i haven't been to michigan. I'd really like to go b/c there's a hype smash scene, but besides that i don't have a real reason to go. if you end up checking it out, make sure to send a postcard!!

Minimal Ass-Piss
Jul 30, 2008

revwinnebago posted:

(Traverse City imports most of their cherries, but how the hell else are you going to get the Blue Angels to visit?)

I don't know if they do this every year, but I know they do it some years when there is too much cold weather in the spring for the local cherries to be ripe in time for the festival. It's kind of stupid because if you wait like a week later, most places will start selling the local cherries.

The blue angels are pretty awesome to watch from out on the lake. I remember seeing them fly over downtown one year when I was a kid and they caused a bunch of store front windows to blow out. There was glass every where and it looked really crazy.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

Minimal rear end-Piss posted:

Apparently they produce somewhere around 75% of the US supply of tart cherries. It's also home to the national cherry festival as I mentioned. The festival has been been going since 1924.

thats like being the worlds biggest producer of crabapples and calling yourself the Apple Capital of the World

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Michigan is a great state but the Repubclians(esp Rick Snyder) and weak Dem administrations really have set back the state. Also we have way too many billionares, the devos clan owns at least half of Grand Rapids. Tons of buildings named after them, don't like those.

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Minimal rear end-Piss posted:

https://www.bridgemi.com/economy/su...-cherry-growers
For now

quote:

On Aug. 9, Old Mission cherry growers Raymond “Rocko” Fouch, 61, and his son Nick, 36, posted a photo on Facebook showing nine tons of tart cherries they had to dump on the ground after processors cut off shipments from the Fouchs’ three orchards.
America

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

delicious

Laslow posted:

BUT they’re also responsible for Hungry Howie’s, an abomination that erases any of the goodwill brought forward by Little Caesar’s and then some.

what in the actual gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Fun Shoe

olives black posted:

what in the actual gently caress

https://nonprofitquarterly.org/pizz...litchs-passing/

«52 »