Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«52 »
number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Cat Army
2nd Battalion

I hope they cancel art fair in A2, gently caress that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

number 1 snake fan posted:

I hope they cancel art fair in A2, gently caress that poo poo

Already done. https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbo...oronavirus.html

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Cat Army
2nd Battalion

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

ann arbor loving sucks

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ham Wrangler

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

ann arbor loving sucks

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Waiting for his chance

Art fair is a drat nuisance, though, so there's at least one good thing about this plague.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Has anyone said Fart Fair yet?

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

ann arbor loving sucks

Ann Arbor is a very middle of the road town but everyone falls over themselves to talk about how amazing it is that I find myself constantly being disappointed in it where normally I just wouldn't give a poo poo.

Art Fair being cancelled is a huge plus in the cities favor this year tho

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

TraderStav posted:

"Fart Fair"

Fat Albert in a can
Aug 20, 2006

These stupid forest elves have NO appreciation for how hard I work on my hair.

Sirotan posted:

Michigan Summer Beer Fest cancelled. Expected, but still sad.

Theatre Bizarre is cancelled also. Covid has effectively cancelled Halloween

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

A bunch of summer festivals in Traverse City (Cherry Festival, Film Festival) are also cancelled this year. No word about the apple festival in Charlevoix yet, but I'm not holding out too much hope.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 2, 2010

And yet for some strange reason the Renaissance Faire is still acting like they're going forward. I'm taking a break from working it this year anyway but I can't see them actually having it still. The owners are kinda nuts though so we'll see. Just sad for the performers and vendors losing so much because apparently insurance and the owners won't be helping out for this situation. It's crap.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I wish I had a son to kick me in the nuts.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Right, I'm coming from Boston though, so driving through Canada saves me 3+ hours vs going around the lake through Toledo, even with waits at the borders.
The only reason I mentioned Detroit is I had previously flown into Detroit and driven to Petoskey, and my MI geography is poor. Well, was poor, getting better.

There is a chance they might open the border next month. We'll see.

If the border re-opens next month it's because the United States flexed muscle and forced it.

We're starting to get our infections under control up here and we'd like to keep it that way.

Nice
Apr 26, 2004

Maybe not so Nice.

TraderStav posted:

Don't you mean "Fart Air"?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

And yet for some strange reason the Renaissance Faire is still acting like they're going forward.
Really taking the authenticity of the 16th century re-creation to the next level. Bring out the plague masks!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ann arbor is fine and also highly overrated

stay safe mid michganders dont get flooded to death

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Nice posted:

Don't you mean "Fart Air"?

Well, I do now.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

It's your HPV, Veronica. I'm just carrying it.

Ann Arbor is really cool and I like street festivals there, but I guess I'm a bad person.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ham Wrangler

There are so many places in this state that actually loving suck so just lol if you think Ann Arbor does.

For example

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-ra...s-pandemic.html

or like that town where the KKK used to have their headquarters for a while

it is a bit overrated though I will agree, but Art Fair is fun to go to once every handful of years

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

I worked at the U for 13 years. The actual city is okay but itís full of wealthy white people that think they are way more progressive than they actually are and itís annoyingly and dumb.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I wish I had a son to kick me in the nuts.

Happy Hedonist posted:

full of wealthy white people that think they are way more progressive than they actually are and itís annoyingly and dumb.

i'm stealing this to describe Canada from now on it's perfect

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Hedonist posted:

I worked at the U for 13 years. The actual city is okay but itís full of wealthy white people that think they are way more progressive than they actually are and itís annoyingly and dumb.

Rick Snyder bought the condo on Main Street above a jewelry store, so we need to calibrate our perceptions of how progressive the place could be.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

It's your HPV, Veronica. I'm just carrying it.

Happy Hedonist posted:

Most wealthy parts of Oakland County are way worse about this than Ann Arbor.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Waiting for his chance

You have to voice a lot of support for equality so that you can be smug about your white privilege.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

I imagine the Art Fair is cool if you live really close, super lovely if you live kinda close but not walkable, and not really an issue if you live further away.

AA isn't necessarily the bee's knees but there aren't too many places I'd choose to live over AA in Michigan.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ham Wrangler

totalnewbie posted:

I imagine the Art Fair is cool if you live really close, super lovely if you live kinda close but not walkable, and not really an issue if you live further away.

AA isn't necessarily the bee's knees but there aren't too many places I'd choose to live over AA in Michigan.

What part is super lovely, the increased traffic around town for residents? Or having to pay to park if you want to go but aren't close enough for it to be walkable? Having experienced both I don't think parking is that big of a deal if you show up early enough, also they have shuttles to get you there if you park further away. For residents, it's no worse than a football home game.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Okay, maybe "super lovely" is a bit of an exaggeration but I imagine it's at least a bit annoying if people aren't super keen about going to it.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

delicious

Just wanted to stop in and say that the deli pizzas in the fridge at Meijer are pretty good. $8.50 gets you a decent supreme pie that only takes about 15 minutes to cook. It's been about an hour and the heartburn hasn't kicked in so I think I'd recommend it over Domino's atp

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Waiting for his chance

totalnewbie posted:

It's been a couple decades since I lived in walking distance of town, but that was my peak of art fair hatred. Walking takes a lot longer, restaurants all have lines, nothing was simple. When I lived farther away, I had a much better apartment, and it was easier to plan around the crowds.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Cat Army
2nd Battalion

Ann Arbor is full of rapists and bougie fucks who use the mask of progressivism to huff their own farts about how cool they are and convince themselves that it's okay to spit on homeless people. Unless you've been homeless in this town you have no idea how rank the underbelly is.

E: also art fair and hash bash are loving terrible if you have to work downtown or do anything down there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

just lol if you think that doesn't apply to other places

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

I was subpoenaed to do a trial via zoom which is the most oakland county thing i can think of

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Lipstick Apathy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I was subpoenaed to do a trial via zoom which is the most oakland county thing i can think of

I'm sorry your honor, but since boating is now allowed: I'm out on Lake Saint Clair and only recognize maritime law.

The_Continental
Jan 13, 2019

My god, Winston, is that infernal sun still giving my buttocks that entirely too cool smirk?!

Ann Arbor has all the benefits of a town with the most advanced degrees per capita of any city in the US, and all the detriments as well.

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

Cease, cows, life is short.

Pillbug

Iím sorry but to us lame Mid-Michiganders, Ann Arbor is like an exciting big city! It has a jazz club!!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Bookish posted:

Iím sorry but to us lame Mid-Michiganders, Ann Arbor is like an exciting big city! It has a jazz club!!

Any person who says Ann Arbor "sucks" is like, two steps away from talking about Chicago and how it's got such big city charm. I'd take Mid-Michigan over those people any day

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Cat Army
2nd Battalion

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

just lol if you think that doesn't apply to other places

I didn't say it was special ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012
Tell your mum I said hi lol

Regardless of whatever city weíre talking about weíre still surrounded by plains prairies and corn and while the Great Lakes help it suck less, the entire region still sucks

Iíll take it over somewhere like the Iowa or somewhere colder like MN but at the end of the day weíre still effectively a flyover state.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

being a flyover state rules.

i see so many people struggling to afford rent in a 450 sq foot apartment on the coasts, while i live like a king in my 2 story home w/ a mortgage that costs significantly less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012
Tell your mum I said hi lol

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

being a flyover state rules.

i see so many people struggling to afford rent in a 450 sq foot apartment on the coasts, while i live like a king in my 2 story home w/ a mortgage that costs significantly less.

I guess thatís a decent point

«52 »