Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«52 »
naem
May 29, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

being a flyover state rules.

i see so many people struggling to afford rent in a 450 sq foot apartment on the coasts, while i live like a king in my 2 story home w/ a mortgage that costs significantly less.

Iím hoping to bring enough money back to the middle of the country to buy a house to raise hatchlings in before I die, like a majestic salmon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

being a flyover state rules.

i see so many people struggling to afford rent in a 450 sq foot apartment on the coasts, while i live like a king in my 2 story home w/ a mortgage that costs significantly less.

Bingo, it owns. I live like a king on a mediocre wage and have camping, lakes and nature all within same day driving distance

Glenn Quebec
Oct 30, 2005

That's because our downstream reality reflects an upstream case but I'm going to violate it.

What if you live well on the coast and are around culture etc.?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bagmonkey posted:

Bingo, it owns. I live like a king on a mediocre wage and have camping, lakes and nature all within same day driving distance

As a native New Englander, this is what tempts me when I visit. The North East is gorgeous, but I live in a poo poo-hole town WAY outside of Boston, and my mortgage is huge for the little house I live in.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Glenn Quebec posted:

What if you live well on the coast and are around culture etc.?

I wish I had rich parents.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Cat Army
2nd Battalion

5er posted:

I wish I had rich parents.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

W E L C O M E T O M Y C U S T O M T I T L E ! ! !

Plaster Town Cop

lots of demonstrations in MI today - please go be heard, if you're not immunocompromised etc

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

HONKING IS VIOLENCE

were people hating on whatever "art fair" is having a specific beef with that event or just the idea of art fairs in general. Seems like most places have some kind of annual art event for local creators to hock their mediocre arts at high prices to cover costs of the expensive booths. Even with the worst art and artists, still a better use of some road in a city than goddamn cars being on it.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Waiting for his chance

Counterpoint: I like cars and hate people.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

How illegal are fireworks in Michigan?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Lipstick Apathy

Squashy Nipples posted:

How illegal are fireworks in Michigan?

Not as illegal as they used to be.
https://www.michigan.gov/som/0,4669...00873--,00.html

https://www.orlaw.com/uncategorized...s-law-for-2019/ posted:

What types of fireworks are legal in Michigan?

- Bottle rockets

- Missile-type rockets

- Roman candles

- Firecrackers

- Aerials

- Helicopter/aerial spinners

- Single tube device with support

- Reloadable shell devices

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Hell Gem

i cant remember but do bottle rockets even visibly do anything in the air? im pretty sure the only purpose of them is to (wearing full face masks) have bottle rocket fights against each other on opposite ends of a street

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

Statistically you'd think that I'd sometimes fluke into typing a decent post. Nah. Only the most tedious, shitty posts, all day every day baby!

Don't bother engaging me, I don't ever get the hints to fuck off.

They leave a trail of smoke and small sparks

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

The best way to fire a bottle rocket is in your friends living room with no warning

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The best bottle rockets are the Whistling Moon Rockets, with Report.

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008

Khanstant posted:

were people hating on whatever "art fair" is having a specific beef with that event or just the idea of art fairs in general. Seems like most places have some kind of annual art event for local creators to hock their mediocre arts at high prices to cover costs of the expensive booths. Even with the worst art and artists, still a better use of some road in a city than goddamn cars being on it.

I can only speak for myself really, but my problem is with the specific event in Ann Arbor. It attracts a lot of people from out of town, so it increases traffic. It's also a 4 day event, which seems way too god damned long for me.

It, along with football, also makes it really lovely to have friends or family come to visit for unrelated reasons when the events are going on. We have space for maybe three or four people to stay with us, but if we want more visitors they have to stay in hotels, which always jack up the prices. Hell, I used to work for the Residence Inn on Green and we would regularly charge over a thousand dollars a night for Art Fair and football games.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Maybe you're not saying this but why should an event/events that clearly bring a lot of money to the area not take place just because it's a little more difficult for your friends or family to visit on those few (long) weekends a year?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Waiting for his chance

You seem to be appealing to rationality. Sadly, since I have no power to affect art fair, I feel no desire to be rational about it. It pisses me off and so the artisans, shoppers, and their enablers can all gently caress off. If you want me to ignore my feelings and make sensible decisions, you'll have to pay me.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

i am the bruce of the willis

Football Saturdays and Art Fair also necessitate a complete overhaul of one's transportation schedule. Not just public transit, either. If you have forgotten or didn't mark down what weekend it is, then suddenly a drive that takes 20 minutes can turn into one that takes closer to 45 as you have to route around closed off roads. Art fair, fine, happens at about the sameish time every year and once it starts you just gotta make it through the weekend. But football saturdays don't have a rhyme or reason to which weekend they are. It makes fall annoying, since I don't root for the U and consequently don't dive deep into their schedule

Edit: also, the 150 miles of garage sales the first weekend of August on US 12 sucks

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ham Wrangler

Those elephant ears tho

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

Maybe you're not saying this but why should an event/events that clearly bring a lot of money to the area not take place just because it's a little more difficult for your friends or family to visit on those few (long) weekends a year?

I didn't say I expect them to close down because I'm inconvenienced, I was just answering a question about why I personally didn't like the event.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Cat Army
2nd Battalion

totalnewbie posted:

Bc it disproportionately affects poor people who have to rely on public transportation, also the people from out of town treat us even worse than the bougie fucks that actually live here. gently caress you.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

You seem to be appealing to rationality. Sadly, since I have no power to affect art fair, I feel no desire to be rational about it. It pisses me off and so the artisans, shoppers, and their enablers can all gently caress off. If you want me to ignore my feelings and make sensible decisions, you'll have to pay me.

I think that's fair.

number 1 snake fan posted:

Bc it disproportionately affects poor people who have to rely on public transportation, also the people from out of town treat us even worse than the bougie fucks that actually live here. gently caress you.

This sounds a lot like missing the forest for the trees.

But most of all, you sound really mad about living in AA. You should consider moving elsewhere.

UltraRed
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

totalnewbie posted:

But most of all, you sound really mad about living in AA. You should consider moving elsewhere.

Seriously.

Also, Ann Arbor exists because of the University and the Hospital. The University exists (to the outside world) because of football. Sundays belong to the football crowd. Hell, even the sound in the air belongs tot hem. You can hear them throughout the city.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

number 1 snake fan posted:

your city sucks dick quit getting so mad lol

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

The price gouging for parking in or around downtown during Art Fair and Football is the worst part. If you work downtown youíre screwed and the shuttles arenít always reliable or even available at the times youíd need them.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Lipstick Apathy

UltraRed posted:

Seriously.

Also, Ann Arbor exists because of the University and the Hospital. The University exists (to the outside world) because of football. Sundays belong to the football crowd. Hell, even the sound in the air belongs tot hem. You can hear them throughout the city.

Saturdays, my dude.

UltraRed
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nth Doctor posted:

Saturdays, my dude.

I meant to type that. I dunno why I typed Sunday :/ I guess "Football Sunday" is just a reflexive phrase in my brain.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sounds like a lot of people who hate big things about Ann Arbor who... live in Ann Arbor

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

Statistically you'd think that I'd sometimes fluke into typing a decent post. Nah. Only the most tedious, shitty posts, all day every day baby!

Ann Arbor is a nice place to visit

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Hell Gem

lansing mi protest is currently moving on all lanes of michigan ave from east lansing to the capital. crossed the highway at frandor at like exactly 5:30PM. should be at the capital around 6:15+. advance walkers are ahead of the pack to ensure people dont get stuck taking a left or right turn on michigan ave that will be blocked by the protesters

if driving dont try to take any path that crosses michigan ave for a while

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So how do lawmakers feel about these protestors bringing weapons into the Capitol building? Still cool, right, Repubs?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

Lansing has an official curfew now.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Hell Gem

i heard the south side target got looted weeks ago though. way ahead of the curve

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mercenarynuker posted:

Football Saturdays and Art Fair also necessitate a complete overhaul of one's transportation schedule. Not just public transit, either. If you have forgotten or didn't mark down what weekend it is, then suddenly a drive that takes 20 minutes can turn into one that takes closer to 45 as you have to route around closed off roads. Art fair, fine, happens at about the sameish time every year and once it starts you just gotta make it through the weekend. But football saturdays don't have a rhyme or reason to which weekend they are. It makes fall annoying, since I don't root for the U and consequently don't dive deep into their schedule

Edit: also, the 150 miles of garage sales the first weekend of August on US 12 sucks

how the gently caress do you live in ann arbor and not post the UM football schedule on your calendar as soon as it comes out? dive deep in to their schedule = look at calendar for 2 seconds or maybe check the internet each week

like even if you have no interest in football, why would you not do everything in your power to try to avoid what you describe? it's not like Home Football Saturday is an ineffable mystery that just kind of shows up

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I mean, I did, but inevitably those Saturdays would come around I would just forget some weekends. Life happens, my dude

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

i live in a college town with a huge football program and things get congested!

WHO COULD HAVE FORESEEN THIS?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

gary oldmans diary posted:

i heard the south side target got looted weeks ago though. way ahead of the curve

Not that I'm aware of. I was there not too long ago so if they did they reopened really fast.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Just in case life catches you unawares of where you live, it generally starts to snow in November in Michigan too. Make sure you own a sweater and some boots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Hell Gem

november has been forecasted to be pretty sad for weeks now

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 1, 2020

«52 »