Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Now that we found out that loving Matt Groening of all people, simpsons creator, was a sex pest that partied with Epstein and got massages from teenage sex slaves, is there anyone out there that only consumes media by non-assholes?

If you like the Beatles you are garbage because Lennon was a wife beater. If you like David Bowie you are bad because he was banging teens ten at a time. Like Kevin Spacey movies? gently caress you. etc etc

So the question remains. Is it possible to try and be moral and only support non terrible creators?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

it doesn't actually matter what cartoons or music you like, its not important in the grand scheme of things

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
worrying about whether what you enjoy doing is ethical is a recipe for being miserable op. i am not saying you should totally disregard what effects your life has on other people and just go out there and murder and steal and kick puppies to death on a whim, but i am saying you should stop worrying about whether you are supporting child molestation by laughing at a joke on the simpsons. you have to draw a line somewhere and it is easy to end up being persuaded that you are drawing it in the wrong place (being too lax) due to the exposure we all get to people who make a particular issue their pet crusade. it's ok to be a "normie" in some areas of your life and not think so hard about everything

well, good luck with it

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I watched glengarry Glen Ross for the first time last night. Movie was fantastic but man does it feel icky seeing spacey in anything now

nut
Jul 30, 2019

i think its possible to appreciate the art irrespective of the artist. i also can understand people who don't want to separate the two, but if it means missing out on something u think would inspire you or make u laugh or be happy then i like the former. it's also easy to say this as someone who doesn't know much about celebrities and doesn't wanna kno more...

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv5lYwO5IlU

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

everything you like was probably made by someone terrible. thats just how it is.

Faded Mars
Jul 1, 2004

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.
:sonicnoethicalconsumptionmeme: here is your answer op

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
we're getting to a point in western civilization where people start realizing it's more ethical to only read big tiddies hentai than to enjoy anything made by 99.9% of artists.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Weird Al is a saint and safe to enjoy for the whole family

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jawdins posted:

I personally don't believe this, but someone could make an argument that many of his songs are problematic. He fat shames and food shames in some of his songs.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Is nothing sacred anymore

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

zapplez posted:

I watched glengarry Glen Ross for the first time last night. Movie was fantastic but man does it feel icky seeing spacey in anything now

Yeah. I really love Baby Driver and American Beauty, but it's hard watching both movies with Spacey in it these days.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the new chapelle specials are fantastic but supposedly he is a big jerk and we aren't supposed to laugh at him

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Jawdins posted:

just roll the windows down

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Jose Oquendo posted:

I personally don't believe this, but someone could make an argument that many of his songs are problematic. He fat shames and food shames in some of his songs.

There's a difference between being vaguely problematic and being a pedophile. I'm not going to put someone who makes fun of fat people and someone who's a pedophile in the same ballpark. I'm also going to try my best to keep fat kids out of there too

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

klapman posted:

There's a difference between being vaguely problematic and being a pedophile. I'm not going to put someone who makes fun of fat people and someone who's a pedophile in the same ballpark. I'm also going to try my best to keep fat kids out of there too

the problem comes when you want to actually listen to good music and not 80s song parodies. there ain't a lot of non sex-pest rock stars.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hey.

Hey.

OP

Check this poo poo out that I recently discovered, but....but

but you gotta keep it real secret, ok?

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism
pretty sick, right?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Someone is getting hosed somewhere.
It's just how long it takes you to realize it when you buy it.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

zapplez posted:

So the question remains. Is it possible to try and be moral and only support non terrible creators?

You can try, and you can find good individuals who create, but anything large scale is bound to have bad people involved somewhere.

Also it's up to you to decide whether you're sanctioning their bad behavior by enjoying what they made. To compare The Simpsons (which I'll still watch and enjoy because its a group effort and afaik it was a safe environment) to something else: Dan Harmon's Community. Knowing about his gross behavior toward a female writer who rejected her boss' advances and was punished by him for it, to enjoy his show is to say that what took place in the writers room is acceptable to me. See also: John Landis doing a bunch of shady poo poo that resulted in one man and two children dying on set, Quentin Tarantino abusing Uma Thurman and causing her to crash a car on set.

HOWEVER, I used Harmon as an example specifically because after the story of his misconduct on set came out he gave, in my opinion, a heartfelt apology directly to the woman he mistreated. He acknowledged his wrong behavior, recognized how it affected her, and vowed to learn from his mistakes and guilt to do better. This honesty and willingness to admit wrongdoing and commit to change goes a long way in my mind to reconcile enjoying their work while knowing they did bad things. See also: Michael Vick reversing course post-conviction to advocate for animal welfare and doing lots of good work to end dog fighting.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
No, I dont think it's possible. It's really telling that you use an example like Simpsons creator like he personally handcrafted each episode like some Michelangelo. We live in a capitalist world, it's not objectively ethical no matter what.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
All pieces of media are bad.

But some less so than others for various reasons.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Hey OP you should go into that what was lowest point of the Simpsons thread and spoil all the fun by declaring the lowest point was when Matt Groening was a sex offender.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Ethics lmao

Any pretense of morality and ethics went right out of the window the first time some protohuman decided to climb down the tree and create a society.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Creamed Cormp posted:

we're getting to a point in western civilization where people start realizing it's more ethical to only read big tiddies hentai than to enjoy anything made by 99.9% of artists.

It's really weird how true this is

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

It's ethical to consume all you want, you just can't pay for any of it

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I like to consume media with a bleu cheese dip

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just roll it up (the media), add some astroglide and jam it up your rear end

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

zapplez posted:

Now that we found out that loving Matt Groening of all people, simpsons creator, was a sex pest that partied with Epstein and got massages from teenage sex slaves, is there anyone out there that only consumes media by non-assholes?

If you like the Beatles you are garbage because Lennon was a wife beater. If you like David Bowie you are bad because he was banging teens ten at a time. Like Kevin Spacey movies? gently caress you. etc etc

The lesson the world is trying to teach is this: everything and everyone is trash and not worthy of any praise. We're all idiot animals who deserve nothing.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yes it is possible, just pray the rosary after you consume media that was made by a problematic person.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

Ethics lmao

Any pretense of morality and ethics went right out of the window the first time some protohuman decided to climb down the tree and create a society.

You can absolutely conduct your own life and hold others to an ethical standard. We all do it every day

nut
Jul 30, 2019

i heard that roger klotz was on the flight log

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Caspar Babypants is a big departure from POTUS in terms of musical style, but he seems like a safe choice for guilt free entertainment.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
non-terrible creators are often the worst

at least we know what we're getting into with groening, and look we got the simpsons and futurama out of it so eggs on ur face we won this trade le-mow

but in all seriousness does the list never stop lol like who'd think it was this bad in hollywood

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ted Allen seems like a very good and wholesome dude

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
tom hanks will always be the undisputed king of being pretty plain and even-tempered outside of a successful and memorable acting/directing career

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Bowie is a tough one. It's not like Woody Allen where it's easy to write him off since his movies suck.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I thought Spacey was exonerated wasn't he? Did I just completely imagine it? I swear I heard something on the radio that basically went "yeah the accuser's story was bunk, the court didn't believe it, and they found texts that basically make it clear it was a setup."

Was I lucid dreaming?

I mean it's not like anyone gives a poo poo I guess. Once you're accused and people decide it's true, ain't nobody who ever recovered just because a court found the accusations frivolous. Thems the breaks of the modern world.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kazak posted:

Bowie is a tough one. It's not like Woody Allen where it's easy to write him off since his movies suck.

The penisist was a decent movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
afaik groening just got a foot massage? was there any other evidence released or is the OP a fool? we are waiting w/ bated breath for the answer