Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system will you play the Good COD Game on?
PS4
XBone
PC
generic comedy option
View Results

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Warzone is impenetrably confusing to me, i feel like an ignoramus

Most rounds start with me accidentally jumping out of the airplane while trying to set a waypoint on the map and only get worse from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

CJacobs posted:

I played through the campaign, as I had not done that yet in the million hours I've played of the game and figured I may as well. It was good! I liked it! Cool that they stepped away from the usual pro-US-war-machine theme to tell a slightly different story, I think they've realized that we're entering the age where the oorah stuff is pretty poor optics for their target audience

Well yeah but also they just re-created a uniquely american war crime and said the russians did it so

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fart Car '97 posted:

Well yeah but also they just re-created a uniquely american war crime and said the russians did it so

Yeah I joked with the chat about that on the stream, it was pretty funny but it seemed to be the only instance of doing such a thing. I don't know why they did it either, they could have just not mentioned the highway of death at all. Maybe they wanted to establish something LIKE the real life highway of death to give players a frame of reference but set it apart from the real one, and they made the terrible decision to call it the same thing because foresight is for writers who don't write call of duty games.

edit: That specific scene stuck out as a very Tom Clancy moment, where they perhaps wanted to establish "our world is like the real world and here's an example you can compare to a thing you know of" and then missed the mark by about a hundred yards.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 5, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

If they had any balls in the campaign mode, the occupiers of Iraqanistan would have been American instead of Russian.

Inspector Hound posted:

Warzone is impenetrably confusing to me, i feel like an ignoramus

Most rounds start with me accidentally jumping out of the airplane while trying to set a waypoint on the map and only get worse from there

Solos?

Zoom in on the map as soon as you load into the round, BEFORE you jump. Find a spot that is not right on the flight path and not too far out of the initial circle, and zoom in to find a contract marker. Scavenger is good for starting out. Run around and get gear and weapons. Collect cash and get yourself a loadout drop, gas mask, self revive, and UAV. Keep doing contracts and moving carefully toward the final circle. For subsequent contracts recon can be good since it gives you forewarning of where the next circle will be so you can get ahead of the game by pushing in and staking a spot early.

That might not be like the a number one way to play the game but it will let you survive long enough to get a feel for things and work on the best play style for you.

E: IMO Solos in particular rewards engaging from as long a distance as you can, since if you gently caress up and get domed there's a chance to crawl behind cover and self-res.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 5, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

First time I'm playing in a week and my framerate is back in the single digits if I use any texture quality option above low, for some reason

Cool

e: scan and repair not picking anything up so that's annoying

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Owlbear Camus posted:

If they had any balls in the campaign mode, the occupiers of Iraqanistan would have been American instead of Russian.

Even American defectors to the Russian ultranationalists would have been a fun twist, but I don't think they have the guts unfortunately. That stuff is reserved for one cliche main bad guy per game a la General Shepherd.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 5, 2020

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Got a warzone win right as the clock ticked over to my birthday! And I got the last 2 kills! :bisonyes:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's really cool that Alex is missing a leg in the multiplayer. Cool way to bring him back into the story without nullifying the self-sacrifice. Again the story was very barebones but I liked what was there, clearly they cared about at least making a consistent world. Also I noticed his name is in quotes anywhere it pops up in the story mode UI- is Alex not his real name or something?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

CJacobs posted:

It's really cool that Alex is missing a leg in the multiplayer. Cool way to bring him back into the story without nullifying the self-sacrifice. Again the story was very barebones but I liked what was there, clearly they cared about at least making a consistent world. Also I noticed his name is in quotes anywhere it pops up in the story mode UI- is Alex not his real name or something?

I wondered about that too.. Also it is kind of interesting having the prosthetic, I wonder if they'll do anything to show the backstory on what happened or if it will just be left up to your imagination.

Singleplayer the Gaz stuff was my favourite, especially everything with NVG. That's intense. Some like the townhouse felt a bit too scripted, but I guess it would be hard to keep on the rails otherwise.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh woah, the game just dropped a tiny little update and booted me out.

Pre-match loading screens have been replaced with this. drat man they're really going hard on pushing the message, good on them.

priznat posted:

I wondered about that too.. Also it is kind of interesting having the prosthetic, I wonder if they'll do anything to show the backstory on what happened or if it will just be left up to your imagination.

Singleplayer the Gaz stuff was my favourite, especially everything with NVG. That's intense. Some like the townhouse felt a bit too scripted, but I guess it would be hard to keep on the rails otherwise.

Yeah, that open-ended night mission near the end searching for Hadir was awesome, it's cool that they weren't lying and you actually can shake the enemies and return to stealth. I'd love to see more open missions like that in future games. Also I just figure he lost the leg in the resulting explosion. Maybe we'll see him again in the next next COD- not the next one, which apparently will be a cold war thing people were saying?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 5, 2020

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Got an update with a black lives matter screen. I love it and also love that their fan base will probably hate it.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Thought I would be magically able to finally finish the last 20 ground streak kills I needed for JOKR gold by dicking around in the Drop Zone playlist but every loving game I get is assholes with RPG's/Strela/PILA vaporizing every personal radar/CUAV before I can even target it. FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
God drat fix your loving servers, IW!

Two matches in a row almost unplayable with the herky jerky.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Got an update with a black lives matter screen. I love it and also love that their fan base will probably hate it.

I don’t normally post here but I cackled when I saw it on my screen and thought about those losers expressions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why do IAV kills only count when it's your IAV from your own killstreak??? Ground War gives you IAV's for free every few minutes. Are you for real game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Yeah I joked with the chat about that on the stream, it was pretty funny but it seemed to be the only instance of doing such a thing. I don't know why they did it either, they could have just not mentioned the highway of death at all. Maybe they wanted to establish something LIKE the real life highway of death to give players a frame of reference but set it apart from the real one, and they made the terrible decision to call it the same thing because foresight is for writers who don't write call of duty games.

edit: That specific scene stuck out as a very Tom Clancy moment, where they perhaps wanted to establish "our world is like the real world and here's an example you can compare to a thing you know of" and then missed the mark by about a hundred yards.

Yeah there's kind of a larger theme of "Okay so this is like Iraq but all the bad things are done by the Russians and only the Russians". Like when a character is abducted to a secret blacksite prison and put through various forms of torture including waterboarding, which is definitely not a thing the US ever did, no sir, only Russians here. :chloe:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Perestroika posted:

Yeah there's kind of a larger theme of "Okay so this is like Iraq but all the bad things are done by the Russians and only the Russians". Like when a character is abducted to a secret blacksite prison and put through various forms of torture including waterboarding, which is definitely not a thing the US ever did, no sir, only Russians here. :chloe:

a mirror would be too obvious so here have a looking glass

also all this talk of the campaign makes me want to buy the game when i've been happy just playing warzone. somebody talk me out of it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

CJacobs posted:

Oh woah, the game just dropped a tiny little update and booted me out.

Pre-match loading screens have been replaced with this. drat man they're really going hard on pushing the message, good on them.

Holy poo poo the Call of Duty people went way harder than I expected.

Exactly the people who are going to get extremely mad about "politics" in their military shooter about brutal occupation and the line between partisan and terrorist are the guys who need to be slapped in the face with this everywhere they try to hide from it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Slapping that in loading screens still amounts to nothing for a corporation that has profited off its friendly relations with the US military for nearly two decades at this point and rakes in billions of dollars per year in revenue.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Hello Spaceman posted:

a mirror would be too obvious so here have a looking glass

also all this talk of the campaign makes me want to buy the game when i've been happy just playing warzone. somebody talk me out of it.

I don't think I could recommend paying $40 for just the campaign, it's pretty short and honestly incredibly easy even on veteran, but the core MP is a lot of fun if you are at all interested in smaller, more hectic gunfights and if you think you'd get some mileage out of that while enjoying the campaign as sort of a side-show, it's probably worth picking up.

It sounds like there are a lot of challenges / unlocks that are way easier with the base game too, if that stuff is important to you.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Slapping that in loading screens still amounts to nothing for a corporation that has profited off its friendly relations with the US military for nearly two decades at this point and rakes in billions of dollars per year in revenue.

Yeah, I like it, but on a very superficial level, because the series as a whole is overt propaganda the American military and authority.

But, it pisses off the right people and in terms of advertisement as saturation it exposes a ton of people to BLM, so I'd still say the net effect of the loading screen is positive.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Who cares. It should be put in people's faces and it is now in people's faces, doesn't matter to me if Activision actually cares about it themselves or not. Hypocritical of them, perhaps, but if it inspires people to actually get involved then so what imo.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jun 5, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It also has the added bonus of pissing off chuds and making them uninstall the game which is good.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

codo27 posted:

I played that awful game and ya know I never realized that's who it was

It's not, that's Mara's model Alex Zedra cosplaying

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I don't think I could recommend paying $40 for just the campaign, it's pretty short and honestly incredibly easy even on veteran, but the core MP is a lot of fun if you are at all interested in smaller, more hectic gunfights and if you think you'd get some mileage out of that while enjoying the campaign as sort of a side-show, it's probably worth picking up.

It sounds like there are a lot of challenges / unlocks that are way easier with the base game too, if that stuff is important to you.

If I bought the base game it would effectively be paying $60 for the Grau. I'm at 2/25 on progression there so it ain't impossible to get it in Warzone only but it definitely won't be quick.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 5, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

It's not, that's Mara's model Alex Zedra cosplaying

She.. really likes guns. That's unfortunate

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Thanks, this helps. I'm down for SP fun but I'll wait until it's €15 - probably after Treyarch releases their 2020 game. Core multi has been fun in short bursts, during the free weekends, and I'm not into the grinding for guns scene.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The modern warfare subreddit, shockingly, is furious about the new update and stuffing politics into their video game.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Hello Spaceman posted:

Thanks, this helps. I'm down for SP fun but I'll wait until it's €15 - probably after Treyarch releases their 2020 game. Core multi has been fun in short bursts, during the free weekends, and I'm not into the grinding for guns scene.

As far as I remember the CoD games are hardly, if ever discounted this much. They are still selling Blops 2 at full price (60€) on Steam, even though it came out in 2012. Lowest I've seen it was 30€ on Steam sale. You may find better prices elsewhere, but it seems people are still happily buying it at high markup so they have no incentive to lower the price :shrug:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
if cod really cared (and wanted idiots to cry) they would consider maga tag to be profane

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

moist turtleneck posted:

if cod really cared (and wanted idiots to cry) they would consider maga tag to be profane

Anyone attempting to bypass the racist/profanity filter is locked to using Throne, Raines, Zane, or Syd.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Hello Spaceman posted:

Idk if you can even buy a 10 year old COD for $15 tbh

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Are the challenges able to be tracked on the screen so I can see my progress at all times? There's a little box next to each challenge that looks like you should be able to click on it and check mark it but no

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

neurotech posted:

How do I make my shadows not look like grainy poo poo?

I have tried setting filmic strength to 1.00 - these are my shadow settings:

turn off depth of field

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lemon-Lime posted:

You are right, but pissing off maga chuds and forcing this messaging into their faces is a net win for humanity, albeit a small one

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

they need a game mode that puts all the maga tags on the other team, or forgives TKs against them imho

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

once on that French chateau map in BF1 we kept pushing this kekistan maga chud on our team out of bounds whenever he got in a tank. it was fun.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

what im saying is, you can make a lame n weak WW2 COD, but im still gonna find a way to kill nazis

thanks

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Ah yeah I forgot the primary purpose of BLM was to upset your political video game enemies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Lemon-Lime posted:

That doesn't make it an inherently worthless gesture. It is possible for this action to be both good and not enough at the same time.