Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system will you play the Good COD Game on?
PS4
XBone
PC
generic comedy option
View Results

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Nottherealaborn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrcWhwjOpT4

I'm really bad at video games and managed to lose a round of Warzone despite knocking the last player.

holy poo poo watching you play makes me anxious.
but hey it happens to the best of us.

GyverMac posted:

I usually quickly figure out the ins and outs of FPS games, but MW has me stumped, and I dont know why. Anybody else having this problem?

if you're used to playing actual good shooters all CoD's feel like poo poo, that's been true since before the OG Modern Warfare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Rockstar Massacre posted:

if you're used to playing actual good shooters all CoD's feel like poo poo, that's been true since before the OG Modern Warfare

Funny thing is that i was totally hot poo poo in OG MW. But I was also 14 years younger. And OG MW wasnt as twitchy and super sweaty like 2019MW.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

GyverMac posted:

Funny thing is that i was totally hot poo poo in OG MW. But I was also 14 years younger. And OG MW wasnt as twitchy and super sweaty like 2019MW.

MW's ttk is really unforgiving, with the kill streaks just adding to the pain. I really enjoy it, but I'm either coming in first or last.

Being in my late thirties, I have zero chance of beating most players in a twitch race. Reflexes are the first to go when you get older.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol he is bar none the most laid back person in our goon COD group.

Also what are all of these "actual good shooters" you are referring to. I have played a hell of a lot of shooters and the only reason I come back to COD is because the shooting is drat fun. Much more than most games.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

Captain Log posted:

MW's ttk is really unforgiving, with the kill streaks just adding to the pain. I really enjoy it, but I'm either coming in first or last.

Being in my late thirties, I have zero chance of beating most players in a twitch race. Reflexes are the first to go when you get older.

Olds crew represent.

I might be the only one that runs my stick speeds at full tilt. It's hard to track helicopters and man's with the 20x scope if the speeds are slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKQOcpG4vZQ

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

GyverMac posted:

This is kinda funny, because I recently had an impulse to fire up Battlefield 3 again. I havent played it since 2015, but man, I took to it like a fish to water. For me, movement and shooting in BF3 feels way more fluid and intuitive than MW.

Where in MW i struggle to not end up in last place, and consistently seem to have a negative KD ratio, in BF3 i easily get top three, almost without trying and avg kd ratio of 2.

I guess there is something about MW that just dont jive with me for some reason. I usually quickly figure out the ins and outs of FPS games, but MW has me stumped, and I dont know why. Anybody else having this problem?

BF definitely feels more realistic in that you cant just quick scope at 500 yards or whatever and the movement has a bit of acceleration/clunkyness to it to make it feel like you are an actual person running on the ground with gravity/inertia or whatever.

MW is definitely more of a competitive type shooter that has borrowed a lot from games like BF. MW feels responsive/snappy, BF feels more like you have to be deliberate in your shots/movement.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

I’m in my 30’s and usually come in first overall just because I focus less on blapping people and more on playing the objective. My KDR is .97 but I have a 450+ score per minute.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Captain Log posted:

I'm almost 40, it took me a long time to stop trying to out-twitch teens and to work on movement/placement more but once I did my performance got A LOT better. You don't need quick reflexes when your sights are already where the dudes head will be, or you're coming in windows that people aren't expecting.

Sniping is flat out of the question though. I have that T-Rex vision where I can't see poo poo unless it's moving.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

JacksLibido posted:

I'm almost 40, it took me a long time to stop trying to out-twitch teens and to work on movement/placement more but once I did my performance got A LOT better. You don't need quick reflexes when your sights are already where the dudes head will be, or you're coming in windows that people aren't expecting.

Sniping is flat out of the question though. I have that T-Rex vision where I can't see poo poo unless it's moving.

A-loving-men. I have a big 72 inch TV in the living room, but do my gaming on the 43 incher in my room. I don't like having to physically move my neck to track around the screen. But God drat, if some opponents just aren't outright invisible until they shoot me.

My problem is I was really, really good at Halo Two back in the day, where I was just 24/7 yoloing into every situation. I can't quite expunge the part of me that just goes "gently caress it" and charges into battle with little hope of anything. I do play the objective, which helps me get to the top. But certain maps just eat me alive.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Captain Log posted:

A-loving-men. I have a big 72 inch TV in the living room, but do my gaming on the 43 incher in my room. I don't like having to physically move my neck to track around the screen. But God drat, if some opponents just aren't outright invisible until they shoot me.

My problem is I was really, really good at Halo Two back in the day, where I was just 24/7 yoloing into every situation. I can't quite expunge the part of me that just goes "gently caress it" and charges into battle with little hope of anything. I do play the objective, which helps me get to the top. But certain maps just eat me alive.

Learning to hang back when you are damaged is like 90% of getting gud imo.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Laserface posted:

Learning to hang back when you are damaged is like 90% of getting gud imo.

Also seeing a teammate go down and not just conga lining through the same drat door.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Captain Log posted:

What's the best use of Prestige Keys? I'm not sure what needs to be used up before the new season starts in a few days and I've got three of them to burn.

Prestige Keys don't expire. At the moment, they're exclusively used to unlock legacy calling cards and emblems from previous COD games to display in Cold War, and you have to access the Prestige Key thing from the Cold War app.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Captain Log posted:

Turns out all i had to do was to unlearn everything about tactical movement and thoughtful planning from bf3, and just go jumping around corners and figure out weird positions to attack from. And use my teammates as bait. That seemed to do the trick, i actually can get positive KD now while usually topping the capture stats on my team. (Playing domination almost exclusively)

Also the AS VAL is sexy. I like guns that spew bullets!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

GyverMac posted:

Turns out all i had to do was to unlearn everything about tactical movement and thoughtful planning from bf3, and just go jumping around corners and figure out weird positions to attack from. And use my teammates as bait. That seemed to do the trick, i actually can get positive KD now while usually topping the capture stats on my team. (Playing domination almost exclusively)

Also the AS VAL is sexy. I like guns that spew bullets!

Battlefield is and has been my jam for a decade. Battlefield vs. CoD is an unreal change. I keep running into people hopping around corners, landing head shots on me with a scoped sniper before they hit the ground.

HOW DO THEY KNOW I'M EVEN THERE?!

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Stop loving running

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

If you were being completely silent, people will jump around corners to check for campers and are relying on their reaction and peeker's advantage due to netcode to try to win that engagement. Unless they are cheating, they didn't know you were there. If someone is wallhacking/esping and knows your location with cheats, you can "feel" that they were pre-aiming you through a wall as they come around the corner b/c they would react inhumanly fast. You have to have a feel for how fast a good player can peek around a corner though.

Note that if cod netcode works like half-life engine games, the peeker's advantage is based on the defender's latency to the server and has nothing to do with the peeker's latency.

Also remember if you don't have the ghost perk, assume people can very easily find your location with heartbeat sensor or uav.

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 23, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As much as Cold War is shart compared to MW imo, the corner jumping, drop shotting and bunny hopping is way less annoying in that game. I really wish they would at the very least patch that poo poo in Warzone. it just makes everything look stupid and play annoying. Even if I win the shootout it just grates my nerves every time I see some roze skin fly over a corner. I'd love for them all to wake up tomorrow to find a 90% accuracy reduction while jumping or a double sized hit box or something.

Also the tacticals are normal and not guaranteed death sentences in CW which is nice.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm still trying to get a feel for normal. I always watch killcams to see where I hosed up. More than once, sniper crosshairs were being fired way off the actual character model and landing. I'm guessing that's aim assist turned up to 1000%?

There was also a person bunny hopping just barely over a ledge and headshoting people with a sniper from across the map, over and over. Not like, clearing the ledge and running to a new location - I'm talking jumping over the ledge, shooting while midair, then landing in cover. My SBMM cannot land me in lobbies with players that can do that. :stare:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Captain Log posted:

I'm still trying to get a feel for normal. I always watch killcams to see where I hosed up. More than once, sniper crosshairs were being fired way off the actual character model and landing. I'm guessing that's aim assist turned up to 1000%?

There was also a person bunny hopping just barely over a ledge and headshoting people with a sniper from across the map, over and over. Not like, clearing the ledge and running to a new location - I'm talking jumping over the ledge, shooting while midair, then landing in cover. My SBMM cannot land me in lobbies with players that can do that. :stare:

Kill cams are a rough approximation of what actually happened based on the server recreating the movements and actions, it's not a hard recording of what the other player actually saw and did. That's why you will show up on enemy players' heartbeat sensors on the kill cam even when you're running ghost. It's really only useful for identifying insanely obvious aimbotting and where the person who killed you is hiding.

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin
NEVER let someone tell you you cant compete on the same level of a twitchy 14 year old. All the old goons here chucking up their laziness to "muh reflexes aint so good no more" are bullshitters of the highest category.

Im a 34 year old man, Im a lifelong line cook. The nerve endings on my hands are so hosed from years of service, Im able to literally punch a concrete wall almost full force and not feel a single thing (tested multiple times not really on purpose, gg mental breakdowns due to stress)

Discovered Warzone, got overwhelemed at the amount of one screen info and constant audio cues, boomered out that video games aint what they used to be, got over my dumb pretentious rear end, and decided to actually git gud. Learn to slide cancel, learn the maps, learn to check corners at 0.1 seconds by just moving your drat mouse to completely eliminate this dumb loving "uhh.. uhh.. where to next?? oh no what is happening!!" movement style like in the video that guy posted (no offense btw my dude it just really riles me up when people play like this, your whole loving team gets annihilated and you out here crouching in the goddamn corner jfc, even a bot would have pushed that). Learn to make decisions in 0.1 seconds because it's just a fuckign fast paced video game and the only thing that matters is making choices, not THINKING about making choices. Your not signing another mortgage here. Nothing matters. Train your brain muscle to make those decisions for you on the fly and NEVER stop moving unless you 100% know what youre doing. And just like that, youre at the top 5% of players.

No unemployed pasty teen who plays Warzone 8-12 hours a day while skipping school is better than you. Remember that. Warzone is 95% outplaying your opponent, 5% shooting quicker at head-height. Youve been playing shooters for probably longer than hes been alive. I still remember dominating fools on Day of Defeat Source. Use your knowledge and game sense and channel that poo poo into your gamestyle and quit making weak rear end excuses about being old.

Gamer Boomers rise up

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
yeah it's not your reflexes that are slipping, unless you actually have some kind of neural degeneration or a string of inconvenient brain injuries - adults just generally don't have time for hours of hours of practice, do have more stress rotting their brain and need more sleep they probably aren't getting to maintain peak brain function.

quit your job, play for ten hours a day, learn to be zen with the universe and sleep and hydrate appropriately, you'll sharpen up again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

omg chael crash posted:

Stop loving running

The one good advice you’ve ever given

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

yeah it's not your reflexes that are slipping, unless you actually have some kind of neural degeneration or a string of inconvenient brain injuries - adults just generally don't have time for hours of hours of practice, do have more stress rotting their brain and need more sleep they probably aren't getting to maintain peak brain function.

quit your job, play for ten hours a day, learn to be zen with the universe and sleep and hydrate appropriately, you'll sharpen up again.
Part of it is absolutely your reflexes. There is a reason the average age for a pro FPS players getting cut/retiring is 26. The OLDEST professional Call of Duty player is 28 years old.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Tony Tone posted:

NEVER let someone tell you you cant compete on the same level of a twitchy 14 year old. All the old goons here chucking up their laziness to "muh reflexes aint so good no more" are bullshitters of the highest category.

Im a 34 year old man, Im a lifelong line cook. The nerve endings on my hands are so hosed from years of service, Im able to literally punch a concrete wall almost full force and not feel a single thing (tested multiple times not really on purpose, gg mental breakdowns due to stress)

Discovered Warzone, got overwhelemed at the amount of one screen info and constant audio cues, boomered out that video games aint what they used to be, got over my dumb pretentious rear end, and decided to actually git gud. Learn to slide cancel, learn the maps, learn to check corners at 0.1 seconds by just moving your drat mouse to completely eliminate this dumb loving "uhh.. uhh.. where to next?? oh no what is happening!!" movement style like in the video that guy posted (no offense btw my dude it just really riles me up when people play like this, your whole loving team gets annihilated and you out here crouching in the goddamn corner jfc, even a bot would have pushed that). Learn to make decisions in 0.1 seconds because it's just a fuckign fast paced video game and the only thing that matters is making choices, not THINKING about making choices. Your not signing another mortgage here. Nothing matters. Train your brain muscle to make those decisions for you on the fly and NEVER stop moving unless you 100% know what youre doing. And just like that, youre at the top 5% of players.

No unemployed pasty teen who plays Warzone 8-12 hours a day while skipping school is better than you. Remember that. Warzone is 95% outplaying your opponent, 5% shooting quicker at head-height. Youve been playing shooters for probably longer than hes been alive. I still remember dominating fools on Day of Defeat Source. Use your knowledge and game sense and channel that poo poo into your gamestyle and quit making weak rear end excuses about being old.

Gamer Boomers rise up

Post ur stats

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah i mean, our crew of 30something dudes is pretty good, we're all rocking 1.4-2.0KDR, but lol we definitely get stomped a bunch in warzone by kids.

Part of it is that I can't play 8-12 hours a day like I could when I was playing Rainbow Six (the original), Rogue Spear and CS beta through 1.6 that is definitely true, but there's definitely been slowdown overall in my reaction time as I've aged out of my 20s.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's more eyes then hands and poo poo.

Back in my day there were no bushes to wook.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
*me in cs beta 6* heh, these people don't stand a chance. I'm pegged at 10 FPS

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
There was a pro clan of old dudes competing in CS years back, I'm sure a couple of them were in their 70s.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Captain Log posted:

If your target is sprinting laterally, you have to lead a lot to hit them with a sniper shot. Bullets are pretty slow in this game.

Jumping up to peek over cover and taking snipe shots is definitely do-able if you have a good idea where your target is and are mostly pre-aimed on them.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Thanks to working from home in the time of covid I've dumped maybe 8 or 9 full days worth of hours into Warzone with a crew but only have about 50 wins in warzone total. Which given how many games i've played is not a great ratio.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

yeah it's not your reflexes that are slipping, unless you actually have some kind of neural degeneration or a string of inconvenient brain injuries

About that...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There's definitely a wide margin of reflex ability and I and most goons are no where near the top, but I feel like how well we do in warzone is 75% strategy. If everyone is on, communicating, talking about the game etc. It's not unusual for us to win or walk out with a combined 30+ kills.

now, actually getting people in that mode is the uphill battle and most of the firefights we lose boil down to people loudly talking about a TV show or something over a firefight while the rest of the team is trying to do callouts. Or just randomly pot shotting at things for no reason other than boredom or whatever. Not that I'm pointing fingers because I am guilty of it as well.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

soggybagel posted:

Thanks to working from home in the time of covid I've dumped maybe 8 or 9 full days worth of hours into Warzone with a crew but only have about 50 wins in warzone total. Which given how many games i've played is not a great ratio.

ehhh your W/L ratio is going to be bad basically no matter who you are, you're competing against 37, 49, or 74 other teams in each game, and as you do better you're going to face better opponents more often.

The folks that I play with regularly that are similarly ranked as me, 1.4-1.9K/D which puts us in the upper level lobbies more often, and we win 1 out of every 7-10 games probably, though that's just a guess.

At this point my overall W/L is terrible from being very bad at the BR side when the game first came out and from playing PU games with goons (no offense to them, we have fun); I'm at 145 wins and 2000 matches according to cod stat tracker.

I'd say your KD and other stats are better indicators of how well you're doing, iirc KD of 1.2ish and above puts you (most often) into the higher ranked lobbies.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

veni veni veni posted:

I'd love for them all to wake up tomorrow to find a 90% accuracy reduction while jumping.

The original black ops game released with a huge acccuracy penalty on quickscoping. It was intentional by the devs, but later got increased somewhat. However the first few weeks after release was hilarious as quickscope kiddos conditioned from years of MW 2 and 3 were jumping around, trying to quickscope in vain while howling on the mic. The schadenfreude was real.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Coming from Battlefield, I'd really enjoy the quick sniping to be penalized. Being able to one shot people from across the map while running and jumping is poo poo.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Lol he is bar none the most laid back person in our goon COD group.

Also what are all of these "actual good shooters" you are referring to. I have played a hell of a lot of shooters and the only reason I come back to COD is because the shooting is drat fun. Much more than most games.

Let's be honest, UT2K4 was the only ever good shooter

MF_James
May 8, 2008

COD is an arcade shooter in the same vein as UT, if jumping, sliding, quick scoping etc isn't your thing; this game is not for you, it's been basically the same in this regard for the past 7 or 8 games and is a staple of the series at this point.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea battlefield is the realistic shooter.

Call of duty is the screaming racist teenage arcade shooter.

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Tony Tone posted:

Gamer Boomers rise up
You are right.

Decisiveness wins. Many a goon die every day in this game because they get paralyzed thinking of the next play (including myself.)

If you find yourself just getting overwhelmed, run to your nearest mate or get the hell out of whatever terrible building you decided to hardpoint in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RCarr posted:

Yea battlefield is the realistic shooter.

Call of duty is the screaming racist teenage arcade shooter.

I play a ton of CoD and almost never get screaming racists. I do get a ton of hot mics, some of which are hilarious Jerry Springer type poo poo.