Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system will you play the Good COD Game on?
PS4
XBone
PC
generic comedy option
View Results

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

I don't see Riot Shield or Knife in the loadouts menu, makes me worried. It would really suck if the shield was made into a stupid operator killstreak again like Blops 4.

There’s literally a post in this very thread that mentions both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I love that old school CoD moment where you get a chopper gunner and just immediately rack up 10+ kills seeing little red boxes spawn bunched up in a corner and utterly annihilating them.

Reminds me of dropping nukes in MW2.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

This game owns. Can’t wait for open beta.

I hope this opens up some goons and peeps to return to the series or just to give it a go and see if they like it. That’ll be tough since there’s like 400 of these things.

This one is shaping up to rock.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea if you liked CoD Modern Warfare, World at War, Black Ops 1, or MW2, you owe it to yourself to hop back in.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I love the maps they’ve shown. The death of the 3 lanes style is good. Camping is good.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Mill Village posted:

There’s literally a post in this very thread that mentions both.

I know, but not seeing it locked in the beta still worries me. Like I can see the Scar assault rifle even though its level unlock is past level 30.

Just weird that knife and shield aren't in loadouts period. No category, nothing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like NVG mode.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Its funny how something simple like interacting with doors and mounting really changes things.

Went 14-9 in dom, for me in a cod beta that's not bad.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Gordon Shumway posted:

This is certainly an :iw: game. It's got all their worst aspects in it.

What aspects do you mean?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Played a mess of games last night including a 20-3 match on Gun Runner where I got a chopper gunner and a 35 kill game on the desert map.

Some thoughts:
Audio Cues were massively improved from the 2v2. I could pin point where people were sneaking far easier than I could in the alpha. The mixing with the snap of rounds and working out where people were shooting from is still really good.

I still noticed some weapon models clipping through cover and walls which made it a lot easier to find campy boys. It wasn't quite as bad as it was in the alpha so I think they've improved that a little already.

Sniper rifles felt ok when you were posted up but you really have to sacrifice mobility for it. I think they'll be good in the ground war mode but gave me the shits in quick play. I guess that's more my preference for running and gunning and quick scoping in. I guess this is where marksmen rifles will come into their own and its a shame there's none available yet to try out.

I found I ran out of ammo quite a bit using assault rifles - I forgot all the time to switch to ammo boxes over deploy-able cover - so whatever there but I kind of hate running out of bullets for my primary. On long kill streaks I had to scavenge weapons quite a bit to keep harvesting meat which made life interesting.

Map design is solid, I like that its not the standard arena 3 corridor design. Without a mini map though I kind of got frustrated on maps I wasn't as used to because I couldn't pick angles to keep in mind when I was pushing around. I'm guessing this is somewhat by design? The amount of time it took for the cruise missile to deploy was a little annoying too, on a few maps and in a few games I'd see a lot of guys in the open when the covers popped off but by the time it was hitting the ground everyone had found a tunnel. That being said they probably do need to do some work on the spawning system - I had a few games where I got rolled up on die - spawn into a chopper gunner die - spawn into a grenade - die spawn right in front of someone die which did my head in. One game in particular was really bad - 6 times in a row I didn't take a step before I died.

The movement is still a little more grounded than I find myself expecting but it's very good. There's still a lot you can do with a bit of practice and some of the old muscle memory for sliding and jumping around corners came back quickly. The mantling system really makes it so you can get around quickly and find some odd angles to get behind people. Similarly peeking and leaning around a door is very cool - as is going full big dick just charging through a door and into the room.

Weapon balance overall feels really good. I didn't find myself feeling I was at outgunned in any situation - just that I got beat because I was missing shots or someone got the drop on me. The mp5 and m13 are both really strong but I had a lot of success with the m4, FAMAS and Aug as well. I wasn't a fan of machine guns but they were really handy for holding zones in domination and again I think they'll be effective posting up in the larger game modes. I can see the Famas being a little like the m16 was in CoDs gone by - with the right set up there will be a lot of frustrating people at mid ranges with a well placed burst. the ak47 feels strong and heavy and difficult to control if you just try to ride it out but felt good throwing a strong 6 or 7 round burst at a time. Toward the end of the night I found I was getting a lot of headshots with the m13 - things a nail driver.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

That’s an awesome write up.

I’m currently indifferent to the minimap thing but I do think we are gonna see camping out of this world if it remains turned off.

I just don’t know what to expect from idiot pubs.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I just played with someone who had their smoke alarm doing its low battery beep. They must've been using it for a pillow because that fucker was so loud I thought it was mine for a bit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

That’s an awesome write up.

I’m currently indifferent to the minimap thing but I do think we are gonna see camping out of this world if it remains turned off.

I just don’t know what to expect from idiot pubs.

The minimap has been turned on as of today.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Its funny how something simple like interacting with doors and mounting really changes things.

How do you interact with doors besides just opening them normally or running through them? I haven’t been able to open on slowly or partially.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ADS and hold use

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
This might be the third CoD I refuse to buy.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Mister Facetious posted:

This might be the third CoD I refuse to buy.

Good.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea gently caress that guy

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Macys rule is in effect here: if he hates it that means the game's real loving good.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The maps have a WW2 problem; they're poo poo. :sigh:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Mister Facetious posted:

The maps have a WW2 problem; they're poo poo. :sigh:

For those of us who didn't play ww2, what's the problem?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

First, let me be clear that I dislike the maps in the beta for different reasons than those of WW2. I only mention it because I believe the map design in that game was its biggest weakness, and if the sample in the beta is representative of the whole, I'm not going to like it.
Also let me be clear that I mean poo poo in relation to the design/encounter principles of previous games in the franchise; I could easily see them in something like Battlefield, PUBG, etc. as part of a larger map.

The maps in this beta are very generic, with no defining landmarks that make for intuitive callouts as in previous CoD games. The palettes are bland and going for realistic. Nothing sticks out except very basic concepts, like the dom points, or "cave" or "outside" etc.. The buildings are clustered (in the desert map) or nondescript (the urban and industrial ones). Due to the new ability to parkour damned near everywhere you can reach, the design is more circuitous, overlapping in routes and height levels. There's blind corners everywhere, and severe changes in contrast when moving in or out of doors. Every window and door is dark even though many are lit inside, and unless you're already zoomed in on a specific window, attackers are hard to see (and you'll be shot from a different one, anyway). In previous games, the maps are designed to focus your eyes to specific paths, buildings, windows, etc.; in the beta, you have to watch everywhere. Not just because of the spawns, which will eventually be (75%) fixed, but because attacks can come from anywhere if you're not on the perimeter. Any ledge and multiple roofs can be valid avenues of attack in addition to traditional chokepoints or overwatch areas. lt's a valid design decision if you're looking to steal Battlefield customers used to that style of urban combat, due to EA generating enmity at exponential rates.
I just prefer the more contrived encounter design that Call of Duty has been using for years. :shrug: I want arena combat lite with a military skin, not... this.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 15, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Deagle still loving owns though; two-hit kill anywhere on the body, a one-shot to the head. I love it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I honestly kind of love this game. It's kind of a mess right now and has some big issues but most of it seems like bugged out beta poo poo to me and I'm not gonna freak out about it when the game isn't even out.

I've bounced back and forth on a lot of core design stuff in it and warmed up to a lot of things I hated in the beginning.

The whole goon experience has been, weird...Not really the fault of goons, but honestly right now if you are playing in a full party this game is loving miserable atm because it matches you with the biggest sweatlords out there. Playing solo, or with a group up to 4 people is a wildly, and I mean loving wildly different experience. It goes from MLG hell to being matched with a bunch of normals. My KD goes from like .5 to 2 on average and we win 75% of the time. Also the general amount of salt in these big parties we've been running just makes everything miserable and unfun. I'm as guilty as anyone else of this but we get in these big parties and everyone is just so miserable and joyless. Goddamn.

On the flipside I've been playing with small goon parties a bunch and this game kicks rear end. It's just more relaxed, the matchmaking is far more forgiving and it's a lot of fun. I thought I hated HQ but I actually think it's pretty great when you aren't playing a bunch of twitch streamers. It's slowly becoming my favorite mode.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I don't personally see the comparisons with classic Call of Duties myself with this. Modern Warfare 2 was incredibly rush heavy and arcadey with every weapon being broken and I loved it. I feel like Blops and Blops 2 were pretty fast paced as well.

I've always preferred CoD's to feel closer to arena shooters than Tom Clancy games, so this beta is really bumming me out. Especially since I think the guns feel the best they've ever felt. It's also super disappointing that we are back to washed out piles of brown rubble for maps. I thought games were beyond that phase by now.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Honestly? I'm kinda for this COD. Which is odd because I thought I was kinda for Blops 4 but woooooops that fell the gently caress on out. I mean this might too, but we'll see.

So far I think I'm mainlining the AK47 with the goofy rear end bipod. That thing- which by the way looks like two pieces of metal long enough so it touches ground when you crouch- is nutter for crouching folk. THOUGH... I might not need it since you can uh mount any gun anywhere you can parkour or lean on. And that in and of itself smooths handling out to just chef's kiss. The M4 on the other hand feels... like a high powered SMG from old CODs. Might just be me, though.

Speaking of CQC, I am not having good luck with the MP5 it seems. Keep getting outgunned in most situations since everyone's using an AR. The pump, though, is a fun NVG weapon. Or just a fun "try to sneak around back" weapon. Have yet to fully test the over under.

Now perks... I found the crutches lmao. Scav/Restock/Tuneup for me. Probably Ghost for literally everyone else. At least you have to choose between what I assume is the Good Version of Ghost or "constantly having grenades". Especially with the snapshots and stims. Kinda bummed I can't get to the super bullet field upgrade yet but I'm making do with munitions. poo poo's nice in HQ due to just plop on point and wait tactics.

No halftime in Dom is... interesting. Don't gotta worry about wasting streaks. But I do have to worry that the Personal Radar streak is hilariously weak and visible. Nearly a full mag of the AK will drop one.... if that's weak. Could do with being more agile or being just a smidge more beefy. Might have to run it more and see if it really is just bait for people or if I can actually use the fuckin' thing for good. Chains into UAV proper rather nicely. Also, kinda weird we have to choose between UAVs, CUAVs, and Care Packages, which I suppose is why Personal Radars exist. Wonder if a Persistence/Requisition/Support Streak thing is in the works, though. Seems like a thing that might actually be nice in this New Cod World.

I'd have a bit on maps but honestly aside from Grazna Block's B, I'm fine with them so far.

Kinda wanna see how next weekend pans out.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

MP5 is sick once you unlock extended mags or 10mm rounds. Unfortunately you can only get to gun level 25 in the beta and sleight of hand is level 26. The fact that he does the HK bolt slap every single he time he reloads is a bit annoying tho

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

But that's the only reason to use an MP5 in the first place! It makes you feel Operator™ as gently caress.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
Deagle is the bees knees.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ6g0QvaCBU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hell yeah.

Man, I wish I was better at sniping.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Mister Facetious posted:

But that's the only reason to use an MP5 in the first place! It makes you feel Operator™ as gently caress.

Which is funny as folks that use MP5s don't do that and it's 100% theatrics :v:

Feels fuckin' rad as hell though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Finally got some time with this. It’s so much better than the last few cods I played. drat. I really love the pace. It reminds me way more of MW1/2 where sure it was fast and hectic but you could actually slow down and be just a little more tactical. CoD eventually reached such a gimmicky in your face point that the movement started feeling like a vehicle for all the whacky poo poo and I’m bored of that personally. I want this stripped down, minimalist CoD. I want to be able to breathe and take my time every now and then. I don’t want to see people jumping 24/7. Even visually the movement is a huge plus to this game. At first I was a little uneasy with the game feel but it’s just one of those things you have to break away from. Can’t not autopilot your muscle memory to what you’ve known for the last 12 years or however long I’ve been hooked on these games. This though, is the exact direction I’ve wanted the series to go in since souring on BO4.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Hell yeah.

Man, I wish I was better at sniping.

I'm running 20/20 on my speed settings. I'm really liking the long sight lines. Building by c on the cave map is perfect for holding down the back area of that map alone.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

This seals it. I will not buy the game.

Edit: I can't ever connect to the open beta so I assume the game is still rainbow six light trash like 2v2 was.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I literally can’t even see half the guys you are killing in this video. I don’t know why they went with this weird muddy brown/grey color scheme for everything.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

^ - Everything is 2007 again.

Capn Beeb posted:

Which is funny as folks that use MP5s don't do that and it's 100% theatrics :v:

Feels fuckin' rad as hell though.

Every fps needs a "theatrical flourish" button for guns and equipment; racking slides, cocking back hammers, pumping a shottie, tapping the forward assist, etc.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

RCarr posted:

I literally can’t even see half the guys you are killing in this video. I don’t know why they went with this weird muddy brown/grey color scheme for everything.

I noticed Alot of the uploads look really washed out. It's looks fine on my high contrast jvc 1080p. It's Still not colorful but YouTube is making stuff look like arse.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The visibility issue becomes a non issue once you've spent enough time playing. I honestly thought it was awful for the first few hours, but after a while I grew to appreciate that the lighting is actually good enough to effectively use shadows as cover. It fits with the overall more immersive experience I think they were going for and doesn't feel annoying to me now that I know what to look out for. The amount of times I get killed by an invisible man is negligible, but I frequently use shadows to spot people before they round corners or use shadows to escape. It's great.

I don't get complaints about it being browngray. I don't want it in every game but frankly I'm kind of tired of how colorful every game is these days. I'll take this aesthetic over blops 4 any day of the week.

In general really don't get all of the salt about this game. I think it's great. It's exactly what I wanted. Feels like a middle ground between COD and a tactical shooter.

Few things I don't like though.

-Claymores are stupid OP. And this is coming from someone who abuses the hell out of them. At the very least they should not be compatible with the extra lethal perk. two of them is too many and the maps are littered with claymores. UAVs should also permanently spot enemy claymore imo. The game should not be a minefield to the degree it is right now.
-2 places that can die in a tire fire are B in the middle eastern neighborhood level, and the second floor of the warehouse that overlooks the parking lot in the warehouse level. The former is an absolute clusterfuck and is balanced to favor one spawn over the other. The latter is just the campiest goddamn poo poo and it's way to hard to get rid of people camping up there.
-Spawns are awful. There needs to be some sort of protection of getting spawn killed by helicopters over and over. Spawn killing in general is the worst I've ever seen.

Those are really my only complaints atm other than obvious bugs like the broken party system and stuff in the menus being hosed up.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 16, 2019

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

:allears: I forgot that every gun can get up to five different parts.

Wonder if they'd be stupid enough to bring in the M1887s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

We can finally make sacrificies to the Well God again. :allears:
https://www.reddit.com/r/modernwarfare/comments/d4nfcw/enemy_team_hiding_in_the_well_on_azhir_cave/