Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system will you play the Good COD Game on?
PS4
XBone
PC
generic comedy option
View Results

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Played for about 3 hours this afternoon with a mate of mine from Destiny/Apex.

Thoughts:

The Good:
The heavy movement style is a good move, the pace of play still feels fast but the lack of wall running, drop shotting and dolphin diving makes your movement and set up all the more important - it's still a twitchy shooter but it felt more like the better angle and accurate shot won the most fights. The map design is simple but diverse enough to keep things interesting. Pine is a bit poo poo and it seemed to encourage people to go prone in weird spots and hope to ambush rather than push - like at all, and the easy counter of just waiting for time is boring as hell. Probably need to scale back the foliage a fraction. The sound design on the guns is pretty fantastic, stuff that's heavy sounds beefy and satisfying to fire - I like that I can pinpoint where people are based on their shooting at me or my team mate as well. I could also really clearly hear the enemy reloading. The automatic call outs from your team mate if they're off mic like "taking fire" and "reloading" was handy for me to know when to rotate or provide an assist as well.

ARs, Snipers, Desert Eagle, Sub Machine guns all felt great

The bad:
I have a 7.1 surround headset and at times I was sure someone was coming to my right and they were high and behind me for example and I'd be aiming in the wrong direction. The shots would come from the right direction soundwise but the footsteps didnt. The first ten or eleven games were excellent = connections felt tight and snappy, hit registration was flawless. Ran into a few players on my friends list etc, but toward the latter part of the afternoon I started running into players from Japan and the netcode started to show some cracks. I had a fair few games where round to round it was a crapshoot if it would spawn into a timer, a truncated timer, a black screen or a weapon loading in slow motion at which point the game would hang and I'd die before I could move an inch - unless I touched something and then I'd ping off into a wall and die anyway. ww2 was downright unplayable when connections weren't perfect or you got a lobby with some foreign players and if this is just Alpha jitters, fair enough, but if not... it's gonna be a no from me with a ttk this quick and everything relying on twitch and hit registration a bad lobby was extremely tough to overcome. There was also a few games where I was able to see a barrel clipping through a wall or cover which made it really easy for me to get an easy kill, or a few times on the end of round kill cam for me to get wrecked.

Overall: When its good, its really good - when its not its really frustrating. I'll wait for the open beta and hope for the best I guess. Has a whole lot of potential but the latter games today really give me some pause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

No mini map is a really dumb idea for anything more than the 2v2 game mode.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

How long till the open is available?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I meant time wise. I can read all 10,000 loving posts that say the 14th. Jfc

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Didn’t see where you asked the time. 1PM ET.

Thanks

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Played a mess of games last night including a 20-3 match on Gun Runner where I got a chopper gunner and a 35 kill game on the desert map.

Some thoughts:
Audio Cues were massively improved from the 2v2. I could pin point where people were sneaking far easier than I could in the alpha. The mixing with the snap of rounds and working out where people were shooting from is still really good.

I still noticed some weapon models clipping through cover and walls which made it a lot easier to find campy boys. It wasn't quite as bad as it was in the alpha so I think they've improved that a little already.

Sniper rifles felt ok when you were posted up but you really have to sacrifice mobility for it. I think they'll be good in the ground war mode but gave me the shits in quick play. I guess that's more my preference for running and gunning and quick scoping in. I guess this is where marksmen rifles will come into their own and its a shame there's none available yet to try out.

I found I ran out of ammo quite a bit using assault rifles - I forgot all the time to switch to ammo boxes over deploy-able cover - so whatever there but I kind of hate running out of bullets for my primary. On long kill streaks I had to scavenge weapons quite a bit to keep harvesting meat which made life interesting.

Map design is solid, I like that its not the standard arena 3 corridor design. Without a mini map though I kind of got frustrated on maps I wasn't as used to because I couldn't pick angles to keep in mind when I was pushing around. I'm guessing this is somewhat by design? The amount of time it took for the cruise missile to deploy was a little annoying too, on a few maps and in a few games I'd see a lot of guys in the open when the covers popped off but by the time it was hitting the ground everyone had found a tunnel. That being said they probably do need to do some work on the spawning system - I had a few games where I got rolled up on die - spawn into a chopper gunner die - spawn into a grenade - die spawn right in front of someone die which did my head in. One game in particular was really bad - 6 times in a row I didn't take a step before I died.

The movement is still a little more grounded than I find myself expecting but it's very good. There's still a lot you can do with a bit of practice and some of the old muscle memory for sliding and jumping around corners came back quickly. The mantling system really makes it so you can get around quickly and find some odd angles to get behind people. Similarly peeking and leaning around a door is very cool - as is going full big dick just charging through a door and into the room.

Weapon balance overall feels really good. I didn't find myself feeling I was at outgunned in any situation - just that I got beat because I was missing shots or someone got the drop on me. The mp5 and m13 are both really strong but I had a lot of success with the m4, FAMAS and Aug as well. I wasn't a fan of machine guns but they were really handy for holding zones in domination and again I think they'll be effective posting up in the larger game modes. I can see the Famas being a little like the m16 was in CoDs gone by - with the right set up there will be a lot of frustrating people at mid ranges with a well placed burst. the ak47 feels strong and heavy and difficult to control if you just try to ride it out but felt good throwing a strong 6 or 7 round burst at a time. Toward the end of the night I found I was getting a lot of headshots with the m13 - things a nail driver.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Do I need to re download the beta on ps4 for this weekend or should it auto update?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Played a mess of games this afternoon - groundwar is a laggy lovely mess. The concept is good but I kept spawning on a point or my team mates and died instantly. Then I had it glitch and I couldn't jump off the ATV. Eventually I just left the game because gently caress that. I tried again an hour or so later and it still sucked.

NVG mode is good fun. I went on a bit of a tear in that mode, I don't know whether the opposing teams just sucked or what, but it was a lot of fun.

I'm noticing a whole lot more camping this weekend, in every game mode and a lot more claymores too and it's kind of doing my head in. Sometimes just running past a doorway you get destroyed by a claymore. They probably need to add something like a longer delay to the fuse in order to make them a little more balanced because at the moment they're loving everywhere.

Gun play is still good fun. m4 fully upgraded is ridiculously good to use, I'm in love with the hybrid sight.

I'll probably see this beta through but I'll wait for a balance pass or two before I actually shell out my hard earned for it. I dunno. I like a lot about this cod and I feel it's really close to being great but the spawn system is absolutely terrible, sniping is a waste of time - even with the scout sight it's too - set up and wait - I'd really rather be able to run and gun a little more.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Live At Five! posted:

I wish the announcer would chill the gently caress out in ground war, he's constantly yelling

I'd rather there was an option to turn it off, especially if they're not bringing back the traditional mini map / radar. Drives me insane when I'm trying to listen to footsteps and all I hear is WE NEED HELP AT B!!!!!! UAV ONLINE!!!!!!!! over and over.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I unlocked everything for the uzi last night grinding shoot the ship. What's the consensus best set up to go with the .41ae rounds.

I very much run and gun like I'm on meth.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I wish IW didn't seem to think Shipment and shoothouse had the same niche for some reason. No one is clicking that list for Shoothouse. It's a good map but it's poo poo for grinding. I'm not playing shipment to play a good map. I want to unlock everything for a gun in 90 minutes.

Shoothouse for rifles of all kinds
Shipment for SMGs and shotguns of all kinds

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

pacerhimself posted:

Unlocking the final barrel on the Uzi and the 2 long shots in a game five times is impossible.

I guess maybe I should try hardcore.

For just about any long shot with SMG for camos I just Load up with fully loaded and go on warzone, find a door way or camp a roof and mount. Usually takes a game or 2 but you can get it done faster than you think. Also shipment is amazing for getting mounted kills. Took 5 games total to go from 5 on the mp7 and 9 on the mp5 to unlocking all topo cammos on the mp7 and 5 last night.

To get your challenge done quicker you can use the far right hand side on the junk yard peeking into A or the mid lane peeking the wall on shoothouse

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

codo27 posted:

I keep over estimating the range of the renetti just like I did with the scrubshots. Basically have to have barrels pressed up against the cheek bone

I ran the duals for the first 4 or 5 games and switched to another set up that still just had single with the burst. Its way better than akimbo's - just for those moments where they're just out of reach with the dualies.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

I cannot for the life of me get a quad feed

i cannot answer the call...of duty

I was on an 18 streak on aisle 9 only to get killed by my team mate triggering a mine I had clocked and avoided. I was less than impressed to say the least.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'm 2 guns away from plat in pistols and smgs quarantine has not been productive.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The secret to fast camos in shipment is to stack your stupidity. No attachments, slide and hip fire round corners. If you're lucky you can even get a few triples, no attachment, crouched and hip fire kills all at once. Then when that's done you throw on whatever poo poo you use and do the mounted ones on the barrels. Then just move on when you only have long shots left.

Long shots can be a little tedious but there's enough bad snipers in ground war and on shoot house in the long lanes you can crank those out pretty fast.

You just drink beer and talk poo poo with your idiot mates while you do it and ignore your pro gamer stats.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

the problem with ground war is that it's ground war, tho

Yeah I tend to use that as a last resort. The blood money game mode has been pretty good for it too actually. I got my uzi and bizon done that way.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

do perks count as attachments for the camos?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

if you mean the ones that are like run no attachments, will a perk count as an attachment there ya

so if you have a scope, merc grip, no stock, and sleight of hand you have 4 attachments

cheers, finishing up the pistols I need to plat and 1911 is a dog of a thing with its ammo count if you run a shield as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

K98 is amazing. You want to run irons and the ads perks. Other than that anything that increases velocity iirc gives you a more forgiving OHK box.

If you get used to the rythym of peek, scope in and hide you can do some nasty poo poo with it.