Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system will you play the Good COD Game on?
PS4
XBone
PC
generic comedy option
View Results

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
i got my gold knife and i'm not sure if i care to use any weapon ever again. if they're far away i can throw a different knife. why are guns in this game, are they just for cowards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
i love friendly fire and honestly no shooter should be taken seriously without it, but no HUD makes makes HC a nonstarter for me.

In real life i can feel by weight and tactile reponse how many throwing knives I have! taking away the visual rep of that is just ridiculous you dumb game

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

Youth with a Skull posted:

Decided I've had enough of sweating and built a full kit dedicated to running as fast as humanly possible, equipped only with 2 throwing knives and a melee knife.

Shipment is fun again!

use that fit for shipment, switch out shrapnel for tracker for any other map. welcome to manhood, brother.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
yeah, i never ran SOH on the 725. reload is already quick.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
yesterday i played 5 gunfights and got stomped out of 4, and the last one we won every round with my random teammate getting two kills and me getting the remainder, all but three of which were executions.

your mileage may very, is what I'm saying.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
sword and board is for bitches.

i carry an AR with underslung tac grenade on my knife fit.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

Insert name here posted:

If you use the AK you can equip a bayonet too!

!!!!!! i haven't finished unlocking my AK attachments yet, this is stellar news

bless you friend

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
it's great how we can make a playlist for our preferred gametypes but not for maps, when most maps here are objectively lovely but the gamemodes are okay

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

:wrong:

if you play core 6v6 playlists the only objectively bad map is rust. arklov is close. shipment at least serves a purpose.

i would say that arklov and shipment are on the bottom of my list for opposite ends of the same reason (map size)

lmao what the hell

i mean yeah arklov is real bad but shipment is a work of art, maybe the best multi map in CoD history.

almost every 6v6 map otherwise should be in the 10v10 list, and the actual 10v10 map, the palace (the only one i ever get to play, because it rolls constantly) should be a circle of hell unto itself.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
kali sticks are dope, you heard it here first

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
I already mentioned that kali sticks were great but now I'm here to reaffirm that they're good in warzone as well.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
I think tryhards became derogatory because they'd be chasing FOTM weapons and setups and generally exploiting game balance for wins, which is in heavy contrast to the type of dude who just wants to rock his favorite gun or in this game, grind XP on whatever they're working towards. but after a decade or whatever of this silliness it's just "they beat me because they care too much". just the next stage of "I don't have time to get good because I actually get to have sex lolol"

in warzone PC players will get automatically labelled because playing on PC is ez mode, nevermind that it's very silly to expect someone to buy a console just for a CoD game. it's a whole thing.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
Kali sticks do have longer range but really key is that they have a MW2 style melee lunge attached, so people who think they safe... aren't.

the two hit kill is meaningless, I golded them on second day and the number of times I died between hits one and two i can probably count on my hands.

in warzone the difference is even less - the knife was already a two hitter. Sticks are just faster and have the highest mobility in the game

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

CJacobs posted:

It's not a warzone mission so unfortunately it can't be done there, I think. If they did count that'd be a good option though.

most multi missions can also be done in warzone, they're just unlikely

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
I don't think there's any doubt that Apex (or any other FPS really) has better gameplay than CoD, but Warzone definitely has the best design scope of any BR and basically the only extant attempt at interesting lobby modes (all still bad, but being the only contender makes you #1 by default )

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

Fart Car '97 posted:

Define "gameplay" because that's a very vague term.

a combination of balance, gunplay, net coding and design decisions? I can't think of any area that CoD actually outshines any competitors except that Warzone is better paced and more engaging than other BR's to this point.

I mean I love Apex but it's very stale BR-wise, probably for the competitive market it's chasing.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

Fart Car '97 posted:

Apex isn't exactly a high mark for balance, see: legend balance on launch with no low-profile or fortified & any legend that wasn't wraith/pathfinder/lifeline was pretty much a wasted slot. Weapon balance took quite a long time to reach where it is now, see: pre-nerf wingman, charge rifle, r99, spitfire, disruptor-round alternator.

Apex and Warzone servers ping at the same tickrate.

I don't think anyone would really buy the argument that the gunplay in Apex is better than Warzone's.

I don't know what 'design decisions' means.

I mean it's true Apex had some changes to make balance-wise in the year and a half it's been out, but they did actually make those changes whereas CoD doesn't even get significant gameplay fixes between 60 dollar launches. I didn't say "Apex is better in every department" I said "CoD doesn't outshine it's competitors". for a favorable comparison of balance approaches, see CoD vs Destiny instead.

Warzone and Apex sure do have similar performance in connectivity, but core (and especially hardcore) CoD + it's low TTK and significant alpha damage options combined with client side processing really form a house of cards made from bizarre design choices. Warzone does a lot to mitigate all that, obviously.

The gunplay is absolutely better in Apex (and battlefield, even the bad ones. I actually can't think of example I can't list here. Tarkov is probably the high water mark in this department on PC, it's harder to find a good console example) It's certainly *easiest* in CoD, but a low skill ceiling isn't indicative of better, more interesting or more worthwhile design.

a good design decision would be, say, objectives and missions in Warzone, a bad one would be trying to balance M+KB vs Controller by buffing aim assist instead of finding an appropriate difficulty modifier for m+kb so a player's choice isn't between "trivial point and click" and "let the robot do it for me"

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

VulgarandStupid posted:

No one knows how good Tarkov gun play is because the game has literally never had less than 500 ms of actual lag (not client reported ping.)

i don't know if it's still possible but when I played it had an offline practice mode, but actual lag is still better than client reporting anyway. though yeah, it's pretty dicey.

Fart Car '97 posted:

I think you're presenting a lot of your personal preferences with sweeping truisms here. Like you're just cherry picking when you want to use core or Warzone to suit your preference vs Apex, when core and warzone are different games entirely and Apex doesn't even have an analogue to core.

I think you're trying to read into a CoD vs Apex debate I'm not really interested in. CoD gunplay is bad, it's got other strengths, Apex (and literally anything else) is better, but it only has BR and kind of a weak one.

A personal preference would be that Apex is bad because character powers ala MOBA's and Overwatch are dumb and usually get stale immediately, which I do think but I know that's not actually indicative of game quality. Not personal preference would be pointing out that MW has half of it's automatic weapons have no recoil at all or what is there is trivial to mitigate, that instagib explosives are a constant and immutable presence in a game that also has no friendly fire (the best possible way to balance them) and that it's very clear that the reason for most of these choices is the accessibility that comes with a low skill ceiling, because accessibility = profit.

since i feel you getting defensive, it's still fine to like this game. I play it every day! but pretending it's flaws aren't there is an obstacle to getting better shooters made, and the success of CoD and IW's resistance to criticism is already a huge obstacle for better FPS's to find their shine.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
hardest part of golding the knife is crouch kills. Sliding with a knife is standard but you have to wait for slide to end for those crouch kills.

the rest of it is nothing, just casual play

golding the shield so you can platinum your knife, that's trickier.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

priznat posted:

My first gold skin gun, woo hoo.. da Bruen

It was actually pretty painless running it with no attachments, it's bad rear end right from the start.

Also why the hell does core MP keep putting me in HQ games despite me not having it selected in the filters.. I loving hate HQ, with all the running across the maps especially in a big one like the Aniyah Incursion large map, it's goddamn ridiculous.

because you have 10v10 mosh pit enabled.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

priznat posted:

Auugh is that why? It says in the description it is TDM, Domination and Kill Confirmed.. So annoying.

I assume that's why because you said it lands you in Aniyah Palace and that map is too big for 10v10, nevermind 6v6

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
lol i use the ammo mag that turns the AMAX into a DMR like a chump anyway

I primarily use knife/sticks but it's good to have a long range option, but I also like having a tac grenade barrel so I can breach better, and the SKS can't offer that

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
The Galil's halfway-DMR attachment is great in Warzone, very few engagements last longer than 10 shots anyway

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
as the melee only guy messing up your shipment game, I have no respect for swordnboarders. gently caress the cowardly lot of them

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
kali sticks are better for WZ than core. In core, knives are the melee pick.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

Snazzy Frocks posted:

They need to reduce the throw range on c4 already. It outclasses every other lethal and needs to be more of a trap or a tactical placement than a on demand triggerable super grenade

it's been like eight years, it's not gonna happen

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
mines can help in a lot of ways, as a detection system in case you're being followed primarily - but I've had success herding teams into them. after they set it off you can clean up pretty good.

if you really want them to kill, put another mine, a C4, or a munitions box in it's path.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
put cheaters in a rust/piccadilly/Aniyah Palace realism playlist forever

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
hot take: it's okay that shipment is off the playlist because core is at it's lowest point and warzone is at it's best, so just do the good thing instead.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
rust sucks

except in FFA/Gunfight, then it's very good

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

codo27 posted:

Yeah I've only used the world drop bruen and maybe one or two I picked up off corpses but it seems like trash to me, Powerhouse Killing Machine supremacy 4eva

World drops include Synthetic Dreams, an absolutely kickass Bruen blueprint, no way that feels like trash unless you detest iron sights

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
people complaining about the game getting harder and getting burnt out, it's worth remembering that you aren't just overexposed - the aim assist buff that went up with S4 (just in time for a quick scoping challenge and sniper gulags) was a huge change in a game that already has negligible recoil on most guns, crazy fast TTK and CoD lovely client side hit detection. they actually did make the game dumber in their silly bid to balance controllers against M+KB.

it's even worse if you play controller with no aim assist lol

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

priznat posted:

Well poo poo that does explain some stuff. I feel like I just get murdered before even having a chance to react more than half the time now.

I’d probably just stop playing rather than have to move to controller for the aim assist buff though.

if it makes you feel better, you're now in the same space controller users were when they had to face M+KB players so it's a win for 'balance'

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
i mean you can still get work done just running around like an idiot

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYWwuxOJqmQ

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
just ban everyone aiming with a mouse or aim assist, then develop compatibility with WiiMotes and PSMove's and ban stick controllers altogether.

whatcha gonna do instead? play the shittiest Battlefield? gently caress you.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
they definitely want this dude's operator appeal to be like 'gruff bearded marine dude, but the bad guy, unlike the good guy NATO reps'

but it's ridiculous, because at least one of the bearded coalition dudes is a cop and therefore an actual villain

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
I'm gonna reccomend not doing HC for riot shield, because honestly the ease of you dying absolutely cancels out the ease of killing three dudes. I tried both and honestly either way it's gonna take a long rear end time though.

all the other melee challenges are easy as hell, at least.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
aim assist sort of can do that, if you put it on the most intense setting with high sensitivity you can sort of learn how to flick your stick in their direction and let go so the AA does all the work. it's not very intuitive and probably takes just as much practice as aiming normally, but it's only a step removed from how quickscoping worked in earlier CoD games.

the preaiming is because on his screen he probably did see you. What you see from your POV and in the killcam isn't necessarily what they see, it doesn't even necessarily tell you their correct positions because of network discrepancies. Just part of the embrace of client-side workload.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
there's always the Apex solution of having the last circle be one person wide, that was pretty decisive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
rust and shoothouse are both irredeemable garbage. shoothouse is acceptable bad like cheshire park or azhur cave but rust* belongs in the 'skip always' shitpile like piccadilly or big Aniyah Palace.

*unless we're talking gunfight. rust is a kickass gunfight map.