Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system will you play the Good COD Game on?
PS4
XBone
PC
generic comedy option
View Results

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Wow, I forgot how hard it is picking up a new CoD game. I’m getting slaughtered constantly in MP. Any advice for someone who hasn’t played much CoD in like a decade+?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fallom posted:

Comments after playing a few hours today:

The sound design is incredible. They did a great job making things sound powerful and adding in a bunch of audio cues that you can use to your advantage.

I love that the maps feel like going back to CoD 4 and MW2. They're not all great, but I really like finding the powerful positions in each one and kind of making them my home for much of the round.

ARs are back to being good again. They're extremely effective at countering snipers, who are given away by obvious lensflares.

p. good cod imo

Basically my assessment of it as well. I’m pretty terrible at this game but I’m enjoying it a lot. The sound brings me back to the days of Bad Company 2 and the verticality of some of the maps reminds me of stuff like Crash from CoD4.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Can I give a call out to the graphics? I've only played multiplayer but it's, as they say, a generational leap over previous games.

It’s one of the best looking games I’ve played since I got my new laptop and it’s so drat smooth.

Speaking of playing it on a laptop, I love that it has cross play. I can drop into a lobby in seconds since every platform can play together and I can play against other people with controllers only? Hell yes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m about to unlock the lever action rifle in multiplayer- is it any good or is it more of a gimmick gun? It was fun when I dicked around with in in the campaign.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Carecat posted:

Not sure I'm enjoying a meta evolving around fast M4/Kilo play. There's limited weakness to them except at long ranges against a more powerful gun or very close to a shotgun.

Comparatively IMO a lot of other guns struggle with the slow ADS or requiring higher precision to beat them

I’ve noticed that I can do really well but the second I switch away from the m4 I do horribly. It really excels at all ranges, I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets nerfed super hard soon.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Team Deathmatch score limit increased to 100 kills now.

Can we no longer cycle through killstreaks when we earn higher streaks? Sometimes I get a UAV and Cluster Strike in quick succession and I can't use the UAV til the CS is used.

Hold the kill streak button and you can select one with the right stick. It’s never mentioned and I just found it by accident.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John F Bennett posted:

What's the thing with the M4 now? Doesn't seem that special to me? I like the M91 a whole lot better myself

Also, the deployable shield is much fun! A campers' dream.

It’s really accurate and lethal out to really long range, while still shredding people up close. I really haven’t had any use out of SMGs because it does so well at close range as it is.

Also, who decided search and destroy and cyber warfare needed to be so many rounds? It’s nuts, it takes forever, and I’ve never seen a game of it that was even close so after the third round half the losing team has given up anyway.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Has anyone else had constant crashing on the PC? I get dumped to the desktop every 5 minutes, in both single player campaign and multiplayer.

Turn on the thing in the menu to watch your computer’s heat levels, that may be the issue.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

As far as I know, I've never overclocked anything.

Another weird glitch is that in the multiplayer menus, I don't see any character models, just a black background with the menus on top.

You updated your graphics drivers to the newest ones, right? My only crash happened when I forgot to install them and that also sounds like your video card is the point of failure.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

punch drunk posted:

Seems that Piccadilly and Euphrates Bridge are getting all the hate. I don't mind Piccadilly but holy poo poo Euphrates Bridge is some terrible poo poo. I really like all the other maps I've played so far except maybe Hill in Gunfight.

Euphrates Bridge could be entirely fixed by killstreaks called in on a map again instead of via laser designator. The map choice was perfect for breaking chokeholds like the ones that always show up on that map.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Huh. When I was playing I threw a hand-grenade in the crib and it just came up with the usual "children are non-combatants" or whatever and put me back at the checkpoint.

I had that messagehappen when I flashed the room. It only boots you if you do it a bunch of times in a row.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John F Bennett posted:

I really like Euphrates Bridge. It has some great spots to hunker down with view on and below the bridge. Got my 1st, 2nd and 3d quad kill there. I put the deployable shield in front of you and a couple of claymores behind me and go to town. I use the perk that gives you 2 claymores.

It's not camping, it's tactical play.

The problem is it has spots where you can cover a choke point and only be vulnerable to a lucky grenade. I like the map except for when I have to attack the bridge, which is a loving mess.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Capn Beeb posted:

The stat differences between these two sights sure seem severe.

I’m still annoyed that red dot sights have a slower ADS speed when half the reason they exist is the quicker sight picture.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Part of what makes camping so effective is the lack of good ways to force them out of their spots. Grenades feel really anemic even after I figured out how to get kills with them (play on domination) and kill streaks need line of sight to where you’re calling them in which makes them kind of useless on the good camping spots. Gimme a grenade that can kill poo poo and a cluster missile I steer in from above and it’ll probably feel a lot more open.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

codo27 posted:

Whats the clan tag everyone is going with?

I just went with the good ol’ LLJK.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Also Cyber Attack absolutely owns and needs more love.

Cyber attack would be way better if it didn’t have so many rounds to a game. That’s the main reason I never play it, it’s basically over by the third or fourth round but it just. Keeps. Going.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

blue squares posted:

What's the verdict on the campaign? I don't care for multiplayer but I like a fun single player campaign for a redbox rental

It's a CoD campaign. Lots of big ol' setpieces. I'm enjoying it so far, they at least are good about mixing up the big moments, like when you have to use starlight rounds from a mortar to light up a field to find the guys who are coming for you.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cinara posted:

Most of the weapons feel usable with not too many that are too strong, though SMGs don't seem to have a great niche. The 725 Shotgun is so busted and auto wins every close range fight though, gotta tone that poo poo down. It has so much range that it can oneshot in, and you don't even have to hit a solid chest shot to do it either.

I did well with the double barrel pump action, the mix of a huge mag but fast follow up shots means I can either make sure one guy is dead or pop two guys back to back.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is it just me or is the 1911 completely outclassed by the semiauto .45?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

colachute posted:

I want capture the flag.

Capture the flag was way fun.

CTF is one of my favorite game modes for shooters, it’s a shame it’s basically vanished entirely lately.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Doing the weapon master SMG kill objective had me really turn around on them. I did really well with the MP5, using Overkill to pack a FAL as a backup gun.

Also, the call outs are pretty funny, I heard someone yell “contact”, turned around, and smoked three dudes in a row as they turned around the corner. As near as I can tell those really only benefit the enemy team.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Disposable Scud posted:

Halo 3 CTF is so good.

Tribes 2 and Unreal Tournament were my go-tos for CTF. Man, that reminds me, UT’s Bombing Run mode needs a comeback. FPS soccer is so much fun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Capn Beeb posted:

Have y'all been getting a lot of backfill games? Seems it's all I've been getting the last couple of days, especially all day today.

My last two or three have been backfills.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John F Bennett posted:

People that hold on to their M4 are really missing out. So many FUN weapons to use. Because that's what gaming is about. It's about FUN.

I think some of the reason for that is the way that it feels kind of crappy to switch to a brand new gun with no attachments. It would be nice if marksman rifles came with some kind of optic, getting the red dot sight on the lever action rifle made a pretty decent difference.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John F Bennett posted:

I have all these Legendary and Epic blueprints. Where do they come from? I haven't played the Campaign yet. I only have the Legendary knife because of the cheapest pre-order edition.

Challenges and missions, most likely.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

rap music posted:

yeah i think im gonna have to agree

the maps are blatantly unbalanced for the mode, as one side often has a clear advantage, and it's absurdly easy to spawn trap by simply by covering the few egresses inbetween two points since the spawns don't ever want to flip

The warehouse level has a window that can absolutely trap a team in one of the spawns super easily. I was on the recieving end of that yesterday and even knowing where the guy was and having my gun ready I would still get got every time til someone spawned at the other location and was able to flank him. It was so annoying.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kilometers Davis posted:

Bought this stupid game lol

Any tips or things you wish you knew from the start? I solo queue and don’t give a hootin’ heck about kdr but I want to really dig into the slower pace of this and maybe get decent.

The 5.56mm AR’s are a good crutch while you learn the maps because they do well at all ranges, but it’s more fun to mix it up once you feel confident.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Julius CSAR posted:

How do the blueprints work? Like I can pull the one for the M4 up, but it doesn’t let me do anything with it? There’s no prompt for “apply” or anything as far as I can tell

You apply it in the load out menu. When you’re picking the AR there should be an “armory” button next to it on the list. It’s a weird system, I had to look it up online before I found it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Julius CSAR posted:

If that’s what you’re into dude, go for it.

.75 k/d is life

I wish this game had a last 10 game K/D score like BLOPS 4 did. That was way more useful than the overall one, especially since my overall is still dragged down by my “just got this game” terribleness from the first few hours.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zikan posted:

With ground war you basically never want to be outside if you aren't in a vehicle or sniping. Just choose a building to attack/defend and treat it like a small map of your own.

Also use smokes to run from one building to the next.

The quarry map is much better then the city one imo. The city one is half of both teams on the rooftops sniping everything that moves

I would love to see an FPS without any drat sniper rifles. They always gently caress up objective based modes because half the team will just sit back and try to snipe because "muh kdr!".

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

soggybagel posted:

I will also say the bridge map can get pretty dicey with grenade spam. I’ve gotten hit a lot on that one from long range Grenades.

Grenades have a really important role in that map for breaking the bridge stalemate but no one ever uses them for that, it’s so annoying.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Capn Beeb posted:

Make snipers a back end kill streak. You get five bullets, that's it.

Make it a point streak, it’ll encourage people to also run objectives. All “you can have it back when you’ve shown me you can behave”.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just went 29-12 with the M91 in a game of HQ and felt like a loving god. Mmm. Yeah, that’s what I play COD for. We still lost because I was the only one trying to actually play the objective, but I get a kick out of the fact that my KDR was better than the people hanging back and playing it safe.

E: There was also a lot of C4 use. So many C4 double kills.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TMMadman posted:

man, I used to be a surgeon with that loving thing in the original modern warfare.

I remember doing poo poo like cross map shots on Ambush into the various sniper nests.

Yeah, people would use the same sniper nests every drat game so you could get the shot dialed in and pop a blind grenade into a window to clear a path and get an easy kill, it ruled.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GD_American posted:

Ayep. Regenerating claymores, stun grenades, trophy system, overkill with a quickdraw M4, take Dom B and sit right there in the corner in full view of everyone on the other team. Nothing like it.

Couple of times already we'd get back to the lobby and someone'd yell WHO IS THAT DUMB MOTHERFUCKER WITH THE SHIELD GODDAMNIT even though my team lost and I went like 7-15.

That's quality trolling.

It reminds me of the quality salt I’d get playing as Ajax when I dabbled in BLOPS 4. Even though I only had the shield for like thirty seconds in a match people would get furious, it ruled.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RCarr posted:

MW2 was fun because you could run and gun and still dominate. Dual 1887’s, dual raffika’s, care package grenade running, etc was so much fun. Just wildly sprinting around the map destroying everyone.

Remember having to run like hell from anyone you saw who had a javelin out? Fun times.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sultan Tarquin posted:

This might be the first cod ever where they actually got good gun sounds. Is this the opposite timeline? Even the weapon manipulation sounds like reloading and working the bolt sound amazing.

It feels like someone went in to the sound department with a bunch of copies of bad company 2, threw them down, and yelled “DO THAT!” before storming out of the room. It owns.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CascadeBeta posted:

The CoD devs have always extremely overvalued things like one frame longer/shorter to ads and things like that. Blops 2's grip attachment decreased recoil by a whopping 2 percent. This isn't a fighting game where every frame matters. There's very few engagements that are decided by a one frame difference, especially when latency is involved.

I think that’s a holdover from how intensely powerful stuff like stopping power and juggernaut were in CoD4. I’d rather see a bunch of stuff be broken in a fun way though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

anuj posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/modernwarfare/comments/dqgzml/38_upcoming_multiplayer_maps_in_modern_warfare/

Some nerds datamined a bunch of poo poo. Looks amazing, only question is if Gun Course is the Trials thing.

Yesss, they’re bringing back Crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krogort posted:

Yea the problem is the range.
It should wreck poo poo in close encounters but not be 1 hit kill at medium range

I had a kill cam where a dude headshot me AND another dude from like 20 yards with on shot. It was nuts.