Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system will you play the Good COD Game on?
PS4
XBone
PC
generic comedy option
View Results

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I bought this game! Definitely seems like the best execution of the COD formula in years, very happy with the refinements and streamlining they've done. It's a great game for chillin out and shootin dudes with no commitment required.

edit: I will say though this game hates being recorded and streamed from my experience. Whatever they did with RTX integration makes it really unstable for streaming/recording with NVENC. It is INCREDIBLY well optimized regardless, at 7680x1440 at maximum graphics I get 90+ fps.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Newbie question, what's the use case for LMGs? They just seem to be worse assault rifles from the ones I've tried. Any attachments/attachment combos that make them worthwhile?

Also the MP5 was one of the first guns I equipped on my shoot dude and it is still probably my favorite. Just hold M2 and M1 on people and you fire a laser beam of bullets until they die.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thanks for the replies re: LMGs, what lambskin said makes sense, they're really not good for the run n gun playstyle I have. Similarly I am just awful with snipers because sitting still for more than 5 seconds gives me anxiety that someone's gonna corner peek from a window 1000000 miles away and double tap me while I'm scoped.

edit: My strategy for snipers is very mean but it works quite well. Basically I just load myself up on ADS and weapon swap speed increases, rocket around at a hundred miles an hour with Dead Silence, and swap to the sniper just long enough to shoot people point-blank with it before sonic-the-hedgehog-sprinting away off into the sunset. It's very funny to imagine what Generic COD Shootman must be thinking in such a scenario in-universe.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 20, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Holy gently caress getting that palace map in infected is a waste of time.

Yeah some of the maps used for Infected are gigantic which is very silly when there's like one guy left.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lol Ground War is the craziest, silliest poo poo ever. Just madness. I love it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The MP5 ended up being my first golden gun. I love this thing, it's real good at killing shootdudes. All hail the 24k Killer :whatup:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh yeah I agree, it's way too good at long distances for an SMG. But I'm not complaining!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I took one look at the requirement for platinum and damascus skins and I was like haha yeah that ain't ever gonna happen

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

shut up blegum posted:

My only gold gun is the bizon. I used it twice since getting gold I think.

It'd be nice if using a gold camo gave the weapon a tiny amount of bonus kill XP like the Mo Money perk or something, just to reward you for spending a bunch of time grinding out one specific weapon. As is the only reason to be a completionist is if you really like the gun, which is enough for me but probably isn't worth it for most people.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yup, same here. No idea why either, though I don't think it's a "you ran out of memory" error- I've got 32GB of RAM and my graphics card has 8GB of VRAM.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

it shriveled up posted:

Patch is live. Around 49GB on PC.

encrypted pak files that must be completely replaced every time a patch is released are the worst thing to happen to PC games

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://twitter.com/InfinityWard/status/1220070063153135616

Heads up, if the game claims your data is corrupt, just alt-f4 or dashboard out. It isn't actually corrupted, the message is in error. And even if you do accidentally say 'yes' to resetting your data it will be back on the next launch.

edit: Man, the responses to that tweet... people sure are a bunch of loving babies about their generic shoot-dudes game huh

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

pacerhimself posted:

THIS IS A SLAP IN THE FACE INFINITY WARD! ACTIVI$ION WILL NEVER SEE ANOTHER PENNY FROM ME.

*buys next COD on launch day*

So many people going like "I'm going back to Battlefield, THAT game is made by people who care and is way better!!"

but they're the same game

they're all the same game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The shield is great for tanking killstreaks, it's like they're dive bombing eagles and you're a turtle, literally! I've seen a guy take and rpg to the back and live thanks to the shield and a stim.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Does the crossbow have a "magazine" or does it need to be re-drawn after each shot? Don't have it unlocked yet (and probably won't for quite some time, that unlock challenge is pure grind lol).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Statutory Ape posted:

im gonna be sad if i have to play something that isnt multiplayer to get that crossbow

E: wait is that it? the kill people w a rifle using a scope thing? bc from the way yall were talking i was getting ready to hafve to load up single player and co op and tbQh litearlly im buying it if thats the case

but if its just that one little challenge well. lets get on with the killing

It's not bad, it just takes time. The good news is it still counts if you swap to something else or a different loadout mid-match, so you can get 5 kills and then switch to your usual stuff if you want. I saw TONS of people using marksman rifles tonight lol, Shoot House was a nightmare.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Redrawn after each shot.

It should really have been a launcher instead of a DMR.

That's a bummer but I get why they'd have it be that way, what with the special arrow types and such.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I do NOT eat sandwiches. I have never eaten a sandwich. How dare you

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wheelson is the funniest dumbest-rear end name for your baby robot tank ever

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lol I unlocked the crossbow and holy COW aiming this thing sucks rear end. The sight seems to have nothing to do whatsoever with where the arrow goes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Gimme the cow killer gun Anton Chigurh uses in No Country For Old Men. That's a TRUE silenced weapon. You can only use it from melee range and it's got 1 ammo in reserve. Completely useless but boy does it make a cool ZOOP sound.

edit: Getting better with the crossbow. It's really good for the run n gun playstyle I use despite the reload time. Overkill perk, carrying the crossbow + an SMG. Run around with the crossbow out and fire point blank into the first unfortunate soul to walk in front of me, swap immediately after firing to the SMG. Then I can just reload it next time I'm in a safe spot.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 28, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's true but personally I don't like most of the blue-color perks or sidearms, so I don't mind giving them up in order to carry around my laser beam mp5. MAYBE for Double Time but tactical sprint usually just gets me killed anyway.

edit: I could see an argument for Quick Fix if you like to play really dangerously though, in which case taking that plus the throwing knives and a sidearm is a better deal.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 28, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RCarr posted:

I’ve done every challenge for the crossbow except for longshots. I’m at 3 longshots out of 850 total kills. The range for a long shot with this thing is ridiculous. Where is a good spot to farm the 47 other long shot kills that I need?

Go for Ground War and just pitch a tent in a window or inside a bush or something imo. Otherwise your best bet is the shop or scaffold on Piccadilly, or long-ways down the street on Petrograd.

edit: Across the cave on Azhir also works.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 31, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Shipment is great because you run around like a chicken with your head cut off mashing the mouse button on any human shaped object and mashing F to instant respawn inbetween mashing the mouse button and then one team wins and it doesn't matter which one

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man I dunno what all you folks are talking about with your upturned-chin pinched-nose assessments of the intrinsic map quality value Shipment does or does not have, for me it has been a chaotic madhouse of killing a guy dying and respawning every 0.5 seconds for about 2 minutes and then it's over, every single time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Domination is a loving long gamemode on smaller maps. Very little room to run around means capture points changing hands repeatedly before anyone can gain any points for their team. Hence both teams have a billion kills.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah but they're also the babies who will stop playing because they think their toy is broken so they gotta be appeased or else they'll keep crying about it and stop spending money on battle pass points or whatever

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Molotovs are great, it's really funny to toss one right at your opponent if you know you're about to die. There's even an XP reward for getting a posthumous kill by smacking someone right in the face with one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

codo27 posted:

Important to remember that achievements aren't achievements at all, and are purposely an arbitrary list of tasks anyone can do as a cheap filler to create the illusion of more content. Thus why there aren't any for MP

Disagree. Achievements are great for encouraging players to experiment or try different ways to play they hadn't considered or otherwise wouldn't, or to pay more attention to the game they're playing. Not every achievement is Collect All 500 Eagle Feathers. This game has a rotating list of 3 of them every single day and I bet you complete them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Infinite Warfare was awesome, most creatively designed CoD in years. So naturally everyone disliked it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, I've been wondering- do people you're cross-playing with on consoles have auto aim or aim snap? Is that a thing in this game when you're using a controller? I think back to Max Payne 3's sick multiplayer which had three different player pools you could choose from (free aim, auto aim, lock-on snap) because they didn't want people on MKB to be disadvantaged.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I usually end up with a wide mix of people playing on BNet or consoles with controllers/MKB. Did you know this game supports MKB on xbone? That's pretty wild, I hope we see more of that in future consoles.

Bummer that there's aim assist even in crossplay but I get it, controllers would be hugely disadvantaged without it, so I don't really mind. There's only a few times I've been killed running past someone who was clearly banking on auto-aim to drag for them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Finally found a thing I don't like about the crossbow: Bolts stick to teammates.

Including thermite bolts.

Including explosive bolts.

But the good news is, outside HC the arrow explosion doesn't hurt them (it still hurts you) so you can turn your teammates who love to rush in into time bombs!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Has that ever been a real concern for any game?

It was for Max Payne 3, which is why I mentioned it, that game's controller aim snap/drag is incredibly strong and the lock on is like literally "you can't miss" crosshair-moves-around-the-screen lock on. Max Payne 3's controller lock-on plays almost like you're using z-targeting in zelda or something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of which thank you IW for not making there be a "disguise as a member of the other team" or "hide your nameplate so no one can see your team" perk or equipment item, that would have been incredibly annoying

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ground War is so awesome, it's just non stop insanity, plus you get sniped from on top of a building someone spent 5 minutes parkouring up to the top of every time you pass by.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Good soup! posted:

Is there any streaming option that works for this, Shadowplay just crashes the entire game (and I haven't given something like OBS a shot yet)

OBS works perfect if you do the following things:

- Modern Warfare starts at High process priority so it eats your CPU for breakfast, to to Task Manager -> Details -> ModernWarfare.exe and set it back down to 'Normal'
- Turn off shadow/light cache in your graphics options because they eat up the same RAM being used by OBS
- Reduce your rendering resolution to 75% if you're playing above 1080p (don't bother if you're at 1080p already it should be fine)

Modern Warfare hates being streamed but it's totally stable for me after I made these tweaks.

edit: Regarding OBS settings, if you've got an Nvidia RTX card, absolutely use NVENC (New) as your stream encoder so there's no load on your CPU. 6 Mbps (6,000 Kbps) is the maximum bitrate allowed by most streaming services, so don't go above that. If 1080p60 streaming is too taxing on your hardware/internet, try 900p30 instead because that'll give much better image quality for your buck.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 4, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I learned the other day that for challenge purposes, explosive arrows on the crossbow count as launcher kills!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Time to kill on HC is crazy low, but the benefit of sniping on HC vs non-HC is that you don't have to worry about where you're shooting the other player. Hit someone in a limb? In Core they might not die. In Hardcore, they will die. imo that makes it much easier to do flick shots because your target goes from "center mass/head to be sure" to "click anywhere on this man to delete him like a human popup ad"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sniper rifles are a pain in the rear end on Ground War. There are houses and buildings and stuff that seem tailor made to be chokepoints for snipers who just pitch a tent in a window and you can't really get at them because you gotta run past them to get inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Question, do weapon blueprints actually do anything once you finish leveling up a weapon? Do they include attachments you can't put on the guns yourself or special skins or something? It seems like they're pointless once you unlock all of a gun's attachments.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 6, 2020