Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system will you play the Good COD Game on?
PS4
XBone
PC
generic comedy option
View Results

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I was watching Maximilian Dood play this game game last night (at least I think it was Modern Warfare, Twitch also calls it War Zone), and it was pretty exhilarating to watch.

I've wanted to try a battle-royale style game for a while now, and I was surprised to see that it's free-to-play on Blizzard/BattleNet. However, I also saw that it's got an install size of 175 GB.

I thought about uninstalling Hitman 2 (which I haven't been playing, and takes up about 100 GB) and installing CoD, but I wanted to see if there was a thread and ask about it first. It looks like the game can be pretty difficult (it seems like you can sniped across the map really easily), and I imagine being free-to-play, it's loaded with micro-transactions. It also sounds like you can't pick a load-out until you level up a few ranks, so I figure starting out a new player is really rough.

Is there anything I should know going in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

codo27 posted:

Nothing you just posted is accurate or really of any concern.

Story of my life.

But seriously, I just want to know if there's something I should be aware of or expect. I'm always wary of downloading games that have these huge install sizes. The last stupidly-huge shooter I tried downloading was Destiny 2, and I didn't make much headway with that, since I had no clue what to do or where to go without asking for help. War Zone looks like it's more approachable, but it still seems like there's a learning curve for it.

To put it another way, the only other multiplayer game I've played as of late is Team Fortress 2, and War Zone seems a lot more fast-paced and punishing in comparison.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Well, I finally got the game installed and...it keeps crashing every time I started the tutorial, with 'Dev Error 5759'. Apparently, this is a common issue.

I tried updating my drivers and switching from 'Borderless Fullscreen' to 'Fullscreen' but still no luck.

EDIT: Now I have something called 'Paging File Error'.

EDIT 2: Doing a restart seems to have fixed it partially. I was able to get through the first tutorial. I also cranked down all the graphic options. However, it crashed again with 'Error 5759' not long after starting the practice match.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 1, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

MF_James posted:

Paging file error means you have run out of memory. C an't help you with error 5759 but maybe do a repair of the install.

I tried doing the 'Verify and Repair', but that didn't seem to affect anything. The paging error disappeared after a restart of the computer, but 'Error 5759' kept popping up.

I tried running the game in 'Safe Mode', and I was able to finish the practice match, but it crashed again not too long after starting an actual game, though it didn't give an error message; it just froze, and I couldn't ALT-TAB or kill the game from the Task Manager, so I just had to restart.

I tried tweaking a bunch of things, but it just kept crashing. I tried looking up the error code, but there doesn't seem to be a clear reason as to what causes it, or how to fix it. Eventually I got mad, and uninstalled the game.

I could re-download it again, but I just can't figure out what could be causing it. My computer should run it fine with the current specs (i7 4790K, 16GB DDR3, EVGA NVIDA GeForce GTX 1070). One solution I just found said that you need to disable Fast Boot in the BIOS, but I can't imagine how that would fix it (I can't seem to disable it in the Control Panel, so I don't know if it's even enabled). Another says you should disable CrossPlay. Some cite that it's a driver problem, and that you need to completely uninstall your drivers and install them fresh. Some say it's an issue with the Intel on-board GPU.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Good news: after re-downloading the game and doing a couple more searches, I figured out the problem. The 5759 Error was related to the paging file error.

MF_James posted:

Paging file error means you have run out of memory. C an't help you with error 5759 but maybe do a repair of the install.

Using this video, I was able to go to Control Panel>System>Advanced System Settings>Performance Settings>Advanced Tab> Change Virtual Memory.

From there, I selected the F:\ drive (a SSD separate from the C:\ that I have for installing games), selected 'Custom Size', and set the 'Initial Size' to 7000 MB, and the 'Maximum Size' to '12000 MB', as shown in the video. Once doing that, I was able to play the game without issue. :toot:

Bad news: After trying to play a few matches, I can't say that I really care for it. As I expected, I get taken out pretty quickly, and I don't survive long in the gulag mode, so most of my time is spent waiting to get into another match. Regardless, I wanted to post the solution to the crashing issue in case anyone else runs into the issue.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I've got relative whose co-workers play Call of Duty, and are looking for another person to join them on PS4. Problem is, I don't know which game it is exactly. He's going to ask them tomorrow, but it sounds like it might be COD: Cold War, yet based on what he related to me, it sounds like it might be Warzone. From a quick look online, Cold War has a War Zone mode, but I don't know if it's the same as the Modern Warfare Warzone. I played the version of Warzone that was available through Battle.Net, but I don't know if that's the same game, or if it's an alternate version.

If it is, then I imagine I can download it free from PSN, but then I also don't know if you need PSPlus in order to play online on PS4 (I know you need it from some games, as I remember it was a requirement to play online for Bloodborne).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

soggybagel posted:

Warzone is free. There is only one version of Warzone. So whether you're on PS4 or Xbox or PC you are playing Warzone. I'm pretty sure you still need Ps Plus to play online on Playstation consoles but Warzone supports crossplay. You can play Warzone with your relative who is on PS4 while you're on PC. I do it with a few friends all the time.

Hm, he said that cross-play wasn't working for them, so it might be COD: Cold War multiplayer (assuming it just has standalone multiplayer). I guess I'll have to wait and see. Maybe things will workout where I can do crossplay on PC. Apart from having to get PSPlus, I don't know if I have enough free hard drive space on the PS4.

I tried Warzone briefly last year or the year before I had trouble getting running properly, since the game kept crashing not long after starting a game. Eventually I found out I had to make a paging file on the hard drive to allocate memory for it (which struck me as an optimization issue with the game). Once I got that figured out, though, I bounced off the game, since I couldn't last long when joining a game, and I was getting tired of having to start over. Maybe with a coordinated team, though, things will go more smoothly.