Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system will you play the Good COD Game on?
PS4
XBone
PC
generic comedy option
View Results

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Anyone who came from Battlefield V to this that could weigh in on how it feels in comparison? I haven't played a CoD since Black Ops II, but I remember feeling like I didn't have those fast-twitch teenage reflexes anymore and that I kept getting frustrated by differences in connection speed making such a huge difference - I would routinely get like 3-4 hit markers on someone only to have them flip around, instantly melt me, and then in the killcam footage it would show them getting hit with 1-2 bullets instead.

I've always preferred the longer time-to-kill in the BF games, but V's map design blows rear end and the team balance is completely non-functional. Seeing footage of this, it seems like it's not quite as twitchy as some of the older CoDs, but I'm not sure if it's gonna be something I can click with and there doesn't seem to be any way to try it out without just buying it so I figured I'd just see what goons had to say. Just itching for a non-janky shooter with decent maps and it seems to be pretty slim pickings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I might check this out then - part of me will miss the larger scale and vehicle combat that BF brings, but it's honestly not worth the absurd bugs, bad UI, broken autobalance, and brainless map design that V has had for me so far. Haven't tried the new pacific stuff but I'm guessing it's not a radical departure.

My biggest reservations were a super-low TTK and lovely hitscan / rubberbanding issues, so if those aren't as much of an issue as in past entries I'll probably enjoy it quite a bit.

Not expecting it do do BF better than BF, mostly just looking for a shooter that is more fun than frustrating, which has not been the case with V for me despite how much I loved BF1.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Is Warzone worth trying out if I tried Fortnite and completely hated it? It sounds like this one doesn't have the building component, which is a huge plus for me, but my other complaints were just constantly getting gibbed by people that I never saw because there's like a million people running around and no way to realistically defend yourself from every direction, and I also am not a huge fan of the shrinking arena thing (though I think I can used to that, just very alien to the way I'm used to playing shooters).

I'm just burnt out on BFV and looking for a new shooter to occupy myself with. Debating over whether to try out Warzone, pick up Modern Warfare proper, or look for something else entirely.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Fart Car '97 posted:

It sounds like you fundamentally don't like the BR formula? If your complaints were "I don't like the building mechanics" or "It's too cartoony and the gunplay sucks" then I would say try warzone, but the things you didn't like are essentially baked into the genre.

The building mechanics were my biggest gripe honestly, I just wanted to focus on shooting people. I also played it on PC and I'm just not twitchy enough for PC shooters anymore I don't think, which might alleviate that "instantly headshot from miles away" feeling.

I guess it's true that I'm not a huge fan of the central "shrinking arena" mechanic, but I'm not sure if that's just because I'm unfamiliar with it or what. I already find team-based FPSes pretty intense and I just kinda felt like I didn't have the focus necessary to also pay attention to a constricting map.

Might give it a try since yeah it's free and why not, if there's any BR game that could win me over I guess it would be this one. Plunder sounds more my speed so that's intriguing too.

A Typical Goon posted:

Warzone and Ground War are about as close to a BF experience you can get with the game still being COD. I've mostly played battlefield games since black ops 2 but I bought the full version of this COD and love the multiplayer along with warzone.

This was my exact trajectory too lol, so that's encouraging.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

After bouncing back and forth between PS4 only and crossplay since launch, and especially since all of the cheater talk, I've been sticking to PS4 lobbies for the last week or so. I can pretty confidently say that PS4 only lobbies are consistently way sweatier than crossplay, and Warzone is way easier if you leave crossplay on. Some other goons came to this conclusion way before me and I had trouble believing it, but it's almost undeniable imo.

How can a console player possibly compete with someone using a KBM even with generous aim assist? I'm not sure I've ever seen crossplay as an option on any actual FPS before.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

What is the matchmaking like for regular MW multiplayer? I'm finally making the switch and trying this out even though my reflexes usually aren't sharp enough for these super low-TTK style shooters, but BFV has just been pissing me off lately with the lovely maps, constantly fluctuations in basic gameplay, wildly imbalanced teams that make objective modes impossible, and weird matchmaking system where it occasionally throws you into a much higher bracket to get curb-stomped for a few games in a row.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I'm still surprised they ever implemented that. Like I can't honestly say that it matters very much to me but if I was one of those people that really cared about their K/D or whatever that would definitely be annoying. I've been a console player for like a decade at this point and I can't even come loving close to snapping onto headshots like I did as a teenager playing on a lovely PC back in the day, let alone playing like the people who actually spend time doing accuracy drills and poo poo.

There are some very good console players but I have a hard time believing even the absolute best of them would hold their own against even the low-tier "pro" PC guys.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Are there a bunch of goons still playing the base game multiplayer or has everyone moved onto WZ now? I still need to give that a try but I'm not super optimistic that it will finally be the BR that clicks for me, though not playing with randos would be a huge bonus.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Don't different guns have different recoil profiles though? Also if it's just applying pressure to the stick isn't that basically just what players are doing already with their thumb? Obviously it would be more consistent but it seems like without practice it wouldn't be too far off. Some of the people that stream CoD all day definitely have recoil control down to a point where it seems like it might as well not exist for them.

This stuff is pretty interesting though. I remember thinking it was pretty weird when I first saw those Kontrol Freek stick extender things and then I learned about people bolting aftermarket paddles onto their controllers so they could do easier corner jumps and stuff, and now this. That's a shitload of effort for what is probably a pretty minor K/D bump all things considered.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Someone mentioned a few pages back that buying a battlepass also came with enough points to buy the next battlepass - does that mean you can buy one and effectively just chain them together forever as long as you have the willpower to not spend the points on anything else?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Finally picked this up on PS4 so hopefully I'll get to play with goons sometime soon.

Also jesus christ I have never seen a game as utterly disrespectful of storage space as this one. The base game is like 140 gigs and then I need to download another 30 gigs of update packs to play SP and MP and then like 3 more packs of god knows of many gigs to play whatever the Special Ops mode is. And then you need to keep all that space open every time there's a minor update? I'm genuinely curious how they managed to do this, other than just not bothering to optimize whatsoever.

Time to finally bite the bullet and buy an external drive I guess since otherwise my PS4 will only be able to have 2 games installed on it at any given time.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Lol at SBMM tossing my level 1 rear end in with a bunch of 100-150s, several clan squads, and a couple people with damascus camo like 3 times across 5 games.

Game is a lot of fun though! I definitely don't have the twitchy reflexes I used to but I probably need to dial in my sensitivity and stuff too.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

What are some fun builds if I like running stealthy but aggressive? A hipfire SMG build of some sort and probably an AR build would be nice - so far I've been toying around with the M4 using a supressor + attachments that boost ADS speed and recoil control since it weirdly has like twice as many gunsmithing parts as every other gun, but I want to experiment with some other stuff too. MP7 I've heard is good but that's a while down the line still unlock-wise, and the P90 / MP5 seems like they'd be good once I unlock attachments.

I'm not really sure what to do with my third perk - it feels like Cold Blooded and Ghost are basically mandatory for what I'm trying to do, but nothing in the third slot really catches my eye. So far I've just been grabbing Shrapnel so I can bring extra lethals for pushing objectives or laying claymores when there's a pesky back-capper.

edit: This is for Core MP.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

jerman999 posted:

I like cold blooded just so you don’t have to worry much about kill streaks

Yeah, I was running EOD at first but I was dying way more to killstreaks than I was getting saved running over a Claymore so I switched. I'm sure that probably depends on game mode / what kind of skill bracket you're in though too.

Also unrelated, but should I save my double XP tokens to stack up on double XP events, or should I just use them as I get them? Kinda seems like I'd be better off using them now even if it's not the most optimally efficient choice just so I can unlock the bulk of the weapons / perks as quickly as possible.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

So far I haven't minded the sliding much, I still usually get the kill if I was gonna get it normally. The corner jumpers are a lot more annoying so far (on console at least) since at range the element of surprise + difficulty tracking them makes it hard to land shots on the torso / head and if they do it up close the aim assist goes nuts.

I've run into a few people who try to do a jump into full prone and it's weird because half the time it's very effective and the other half they just flop down like a dumbass while I perforate them.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Inner Light posted:

That's called drop shot isn't it? I thought this was a bigger thing before but has since been nerfed.. it's still kinda possible.

I think so, I first saw it back in Battlefield 2 and it was called dolphin diving back then but now I can't remember if they're the exact same thing or if there's some minor differences between the two.

I guess if you practice a bunch at it it's probably still pretty effective but it seems like putting the same time / effort into just practicing regular stuff would have pretty much the same result. The PC players seem much better at it than console - they can do it really smoothly and laser beam your head mid dive.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I'm also a BFV refugee and yeah console players are just really strapped for good shooters, especially if you large-scale stuff.

But I'm enjoying CoD for what it is - it definitely doesn't scratch the same itch that the good BF games did, but it's a nice change of pace even if my playstyle / reaction times are much less suited to it.

Speaking of reaction time, is there a good way to dial in what your ideal stick sensitivity should be sitting at? I've played around with them a bit and I know the general range that works for me but it's really hard to tell which one is actually "correct" since it's basically impossible to measure performance consistently across games. Just curious if there's any trick for making fine-tune adjustments like that.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Man playing objective modes when everyone on the other team just decides to sit back and camp is loving miserable, jesus.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

What am I doing wrong with shotguns because these things fuckin suck. The spread is terrible and unless you ADS you can't get a one-hit kill unless you're literally sniffing the enemy's rear end. I just want to run and gun with a hipfire shotty.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

What's the deal with people just running clean through Claymores. Like not EOD saving them but just literally running directly into them and not setting them off at all?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Ah cool this 30gb update has resulted in me getting DC'd like twice as much.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Just played Gunfight with a dude that must have legitimately had his sensitivity set to 1, looked like he was playing in slow motion. Probably the worst player I've ever seen.

Also ugh why do I have to win a bunch of games in these sweaty rear end modes to unlock the blueprints I want. It was made up for by the next match being against 2 dudes who stayed afk for all 6 rounds somehow lol.

edit: I guess the somehow is that the servers poo poo themselves.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 20, 2020

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Is there a go-to mode for leveling up the battlepass stuff or is it all pretty much the same?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

My experience so far is that most of the game modes are fun when people play the objective and are utterly dogshit when everyone ignores them so that they can camp or run around doing sicknasty quickscopes.

The exception are the really slow modes like Cyber Attack where games just take absolutely forever and you spend 80% of the time not shooting people if the teams are even remotely evenly matched, and all of the small-scale modes where one or two people quit the instant your team starts to lose and then it becomes physically impossible to make a comeback.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Why do I hear so much about the Grau in Warzone but almost nothing about it in core MP? I tried it out in core today and I honestly might like it even more than the M4, but I'm not sure why it's not included in the "meta top tier" discussions.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Jesus the AK sucks. Not any faster TTK than the M4 or Grau but the recoil is like 50 times worse. Honestly don't understand the point of half of the guns in this game existing lol.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

The AK is great with some attachments

That's probably my issue with a lot of guns tbh, some of them are probably excellent with the right attachments but the good ones all unlock at like level 30+ and playing with a hunk of poo poo for hours to get to the good stuff is just not fun at all, especially when you can just grab the M4 / Grau / MP7 and melt people with zero attachments from the jump.

I guess the blueprints are kind of an answer to that and I probably just need to spend the time unlocking those.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah Uzi is what I'm trying to grind out attachments for now because the hipfire build looks fun as poo poo and Uzis are just objectively cooler than MP7s even though I know full well that the same build on an MP7 is probably objectively better.

Wanted to switch up my AR game a bit since I don't just want to end up defaulting to M4 / Grau 100% of the time like every single other person but ugh nothing else feels good. I was really hoping I'd like the burst-fire rifles since the G11 was my favorite gun back in Black Ops but man they just have no place - the other ARs are just as accurate and faster at range and up close you might as well be using your fists.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

vivisectvnv posted:

hmm maybe its like the caliber used in grau and m4 is on average 2x lighter in effective mass than the AK?

ak was fun as heck to gold imho and with the one piece wood Romanian underbarrel most fuckable gun in the game

I mean yeah in real life but none of these guns are even remotely balanced around or indicative of their actual performance, like even a little bit.

I'm sure it's a matter of just grinding out the unlocks but getting rinsed in close combat by every SMG and at mid-range by every assault rifle unless my opponent is looking the other way or has the reflexes of an 80 year old to get to that point is just not all that enjoyable. The difference between that and just picking up a stock M4 or MP7 is loving insane.

It is a very pretty gun though, I will fully concede that.

Akion posted:

Cleanup on Aisle 9 is a good playlist for getting attachments. Not as good as "COD Players only want one thing..." but it's still decent.

I'll give this a try, thanks! Mostly I've just been quickjoining with no filter on to get a feel for modes and maps but yeah I think a lot of my issues would be alleviated by just rushing the attachment grind.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I've never seen a Shipment game that wasn't non-stop stuns / C4 / RPGs. It's fun as hell but I have no idea how you'd even start to play it "legitimately" since there's someone spawning literally directly behind you or on both sides of you every two seconds.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I actually like the .357 in core MP, but I was using the fancy blueprint one from the free PS+ bundle and ran it with a riot shield so that I was basically immune to getting randomly drilled in the back, which makes a huge difference.

It's still absolutely not a "competitive" choice but if you need to farm pistol kills for a daily or something it gets the job done. Still haven't unlocked any akimbo pistols though so I still gotta give that a whirl.

I also ended up playing through the campaign and man this game is incredibly pretty sometimes, the lighting is nuts and the London safehouse mission on Veteran is probably the tensest level I've ever played in an FPS. But also lol at the massive balls on these devs for taking multiple real-life American war crimes and just saying the Russians did it instead.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Why is every single play of the game always a sniper rifle double or triple kill lol.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Euphrates River is the worst map in the game and it isn't even close lol. Yeah sure lets just make every single path out of the spawn visible to snipers camping from the complete opposite side of the map, that sounds fun.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

On the flip side I like Hardhat quite a bit just because it seems to encourage people to keep moving constantly and has a lot of fun little flanking routes.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Are there any blueprint guns that are *better* than a regular gun kitted out with the same attachments? Like any with significantly better iron sights or a random integral attachment that doesn't count towards your limit or something?

Other than the ones that just look cooler I mean.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Was knocking out a few rounds of Infected for a mission and wtf there are night maps? Why have I never seen these before, I wish they were in regular rotation.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

lol just had a 250-18 Hardpoint game where every single time I made the effort to flank the objective some motherfucker spawned literally right behind me.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Inspector Hound posted:

Remember when you didn't have to unlock anything and you could just invite your friends over and play a loving videogame

I really wish every FPS didn't decide not to bother creating real local split-screen anymore. It's just not the same over headsets.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm pretty sure COD has this? I think you can do split screen custom games?

I think you can do 2-player split screen but I miss the old Halo-style games of 4 people hooked up to a TV and yelling at each other for screen peeking, etc. Unless I missed something and CoD has 4-player splits, which would be rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Live At Five! posted:

Base consoles would probably explode trying to render 4 player split screen. Base Xbox is struggling enough as is.

Ah, didn't even think about that.

Completely unrelated but how the hell do people get finishing moves? I want to unlock Krueger but the idea of doing 25 of those is nuts. I've only ever seen two people even attempt them and both times they were interrupted and didn't even get a kill. Everyone moves around so much I have no idea how you'd ever get one outside of stumbling on a camping sniper and activating dead silence.