Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

:drat:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I always wondered what happened to the Erashead baby.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Detective No. 27 posted:

I always wondered what happened to the Erashead baby.

Is it wrong that it was my exact thought upon finding that screenshot, too.

naem
May 29, 2011

the podlitariate must rise up against their oppressors

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

naem posted:

the podlitariate must rise up against their oppressors

(I found it on tumblr)

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Labes for days posted:

(I found it on tumblr)

that's totally rad man

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Gnarly Sheen
Jun 25, 2015

I'm ITT
just started watching. if you havent looked already the r34's magnificent.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Gnarly Sheen posted:

just started watching. if you havent looked already the r34's magnificent.

I knew it was coming. When I saw all the podlings being scrubbed I turned to my girlfriend and said somebody is jacking it to this

naem
May 29, 2011

workers of the world unite and seize the means of podruction

naem
May 29, 2011

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Why do all the other skeksis bully The Scientist for being a scrawny nerd bird, but they do not bully Scroll Keeper who is also a scrawny nerd bird and wears like four pairs of glasses?

I almost felt bad for Scientist for a while there, being such a bullied baby bitch of a vulture man who just wants to hang out with his weird pet kiwi-crab and do mad science all day. Then he beat the death out of the poor grunaks or whatever and it's like 'Ooooooh riiiiiiight he's a skeksis and the literal embodiment of evil, riiiiight'

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Maybe skekOk doesn’t get bullied quite as much because he’s more apt to fight back while skekTek is a sniveling bitch who just kind of lets it happen?

And yeah they made him a sympathetic character and then oh yeah lol these guys are assholes none of them deserve my pity. (Ok except skekGra.)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

just sittin in the dark, twiddling crystal control knobs, while playing with his podling

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

https://i.imgur.com/Ds3Jl7v.mp4

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Without skekTek, the Skeksis would just be a bunch of weird flightless bird men.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What I want to know is how you people know the names of all the Skeksis. I only knew SkekTek because Mark Hamill mentioned it on twitter.
Also, everyone should follow him on twitter. You might think he's a good and cool dude but he's actually a million times better than that. Also, he has the best dad jokes.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lodin posted:

What I want to know is how you people know the names of all the Skeksis. I only knew SkekTek because Mark Hamill mentioned it on twitter.
Also, everyone should follow him on twitter. You might think he's a good and cool dude but he's actually a million times better than that. Also, he has the best dad jokes.

They mention all of them in passing on the show. SkekTek and SkekVar are easy to remember, the rest I'll never bother to learn probably.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Because I’m a loving nerd and I’ve watched the episodes repeatedly?

I mean skekGra straight up says his own name when he introduces himself so not sure how he’s hard to remember.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Labes for days posted:

Because I’m a loving nerd and I’ve watched the episodes repeatedly?

I mean skekGra straight up says his own name when he introduces himself so not sure how he’s hard to remember.

Tek = Tech -> Scientist, Var = War -> General. Gra, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have any relation to either conquest of heresy.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Although I guess I'll remember his name now, because Gra means game in Ukrainian, and he's a playful Skeksis.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I can remember SkekLach but he's more of a SkekBLECH

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
watched two episodes, didn't really like it. it moved very, very slowly and the plot was thin and unsurprising. it was not a surprise that the skekses were, in fact, pretty evil - so it felt weird to use two episodes to get us to the point where someone realized that.

the world was amazingly detailed and every shot was gorgeous.

not my thing.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
What is up with people making SkekGra and UrGoh gay for each other? They're literally two halves of the same being. It would be like wanting to have weird vulture sex with your own brother.
Control yourselves, gays.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Presumably it's a combination of the base dumb of their puppet selves hugging and the less dumb way they basically act like a married couple in almost every aspect of their shared lives, so...

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Presumably it's a combination of the base dumb of their puppet selves hugging and the less dumb way they basically act like a married couple in almost every aspect of their shared lives, so...

That's basically how me and one of my friends acted when we shared a flat. I don't know if people actually have very limited pool of references when it comes to social interactions to understand that there are relationships that are not romantic in nature, or they are just having fun, because lol gay. See also: Pennywise the Clown as a gay icon.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Whatever, they’re literally one another’s Other Half (not a term I use to describe my platonic friendships, personally) and they act like an old married couple so...they’re soulmates and gay wizards in my eyes. :furcry:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

Why do all the other skeksis bully The Scientist for being a scrawny nerd bird, but they do not bully Scroll Keeper who is also a scrawny nerd bird and wears like four pairs of glasses?

I almost felt bad for Scientist for a while there, being such a bullied baby bitch of a vulture man who just wants to hang out with his weird pet kiwi-crab and do mad science all day. Then he beat the death out of the poor grunaks or whatever and it's like 'Ooooooh riiiiiiight he's a skeksis and the literal embodiment of evil, riiiiight'

I never felt bad for Scientist because he was voiced by The Joker and sounds evil from his very first line. His cyberpunk eyepiece is totally badass though. :science:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Part of it is even made with parts from a diecast TIE-Fighter toy. It even has Darth Vader inside it.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Hyzenth1ay posted:

watched two episodes, didn't really like it. it moved very, very slowly and the plot was thin and unsurprising. it was not a surprise that the skekses were, in fact, pretty evil - so it felt weird to use two episodes to get us to the point where someone realized that.

the world was amazingly detailed and every shot was gorgeous.

not my thing.

I'd pretty much agree about the plot, but there are a lot of standout scenes(apart from Hup's hair) - Stuff like the chamberlain explaining his moral equivalance to rian was pretty chilling. As a new series i found it pretty solid first season as far as first seasons go, enough for me to want more.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Dark Crystal is a very typical good vs. evil heroic fantasy action-adventure story, but what makes it so good is the innovative puppetry, beautiful set pieces and backgrounds, and the motherfucking amazing Skeksis in all their glory. It's nowhere near an original story, but man, the execution and artistic expression is so loving incredible that I can't care if Rian's heroic journey is ripped right out of Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. Plus every other Gelfling like Brea and Deet are legit interesting characters who grow and change over the course of the series... and the Skeksis make up for any flaws in the narrative and then some.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I just want to say this show has a lot of squishy sound effects. If you like squishing noises this is a show for you.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I just want to say this show has a lot of squishy sound effects. If you like squishing noises this is a show for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-Pe8olBfIQ

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Tace Vim posted:

mods please rename thread "Dark Crystal Hup Zone"

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Labes for days posted:

Whatever, they’re literally one another’s Other Half (not a term I use to describe my platonic friendships, personally) and they act like an old married couple so...they’re soulmates and gay wizards in my eyes. :furcry:

Skeksis, to Mystic: "would you gently caress me? I'd gently caress me."

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Urrrnnghh uggghhh oh god I can feel me inside me

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So do Gelflings lay eggs or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Lol I literally saw people on reddit speculating about how Gelflings must be hermaphrodites because Deet has two dads.