Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

dthrone posted:

My wife loves the original. I thought it was a bit boring for my taste, but I could certainly appreciate the puppetry. I think I'll have to watch this new series with her once it comes out. Does anyone have any other Jim Henson productions that they would recommend? Because again, I loved the puppet work and the creativity.

Sesame Street was pretty dope. Especially that dude in the trashcan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

dthrone posted:

My wife loves the original. I thought it was a bit boring for my taste, but I could certainly appreciate the puppetry. I think I'll have to watch this new series with her once it comes out. Does anyone have any other Jim Henson productions that they would recommend? Because again, I loved the puppet work and the creativity.

The Storyteller.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Storyteller_(TV_series)

It's a TV show so the puppetry is much simpler, but it's still an amazing show.
"The Soldier and Death" is the best one.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

dthrone posted:

Farscape.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Soul Reaver posted:

"The Soldier and Death" is the best one.

Yep. I got to see the original Devil rod puppets at a Henson exhibition back in the 90's, and they blew my young addled mind.

Get in my sack!

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dudeness posted:

mmmMMMMMMhhhhhhhhhhmmmm

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Had a cat named Fizzgig that looked just like Fizzgig when I was very young :3

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Labyrinth is a well paced, great movie with hot Jennifer Connelly and David Bowie at his ballsiest.

TDC is just a murky mess.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
They looked like big, good strong hands. I always thought that's what they were.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

edit- I somehow managed to conflate Legend, Labyrinth, and Dark Crystal into the same blob of Tangerine Dream-soundtracked 80s fantasy greatness.

We didn’t even get the TD soundtrack in Europe. Still, Legend isn’t bad, anything with Tim Curry is worth watching.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i fixed your thread tag op

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
I watched the original The Dark Crystal when i was 12 and it gave me nightmares.
I watched the original The Dark Crystal a few months and it gave me nightmares again.

I can't wait for the new series but i'm sure they'll gently caress it up somehow.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

will there be a gay character in this? since every netflix show this year has had a gay character magically written in

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
I too am looking forward to the new children's series with puppets.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

toggle posted:

will there be a gay character in this? since every netflix show this year has had a gay character magically written in

"magically"

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

dthrone posted:

Fraggle Rock is wonderful and got a very good remastered Blu-ray set released late last year.

dthrone
Jun 6, 2019
I send "THANK YOU" to everyone who made suggestions. Wow I will watch TV!!! Start Draggle Rock

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

toggle posted:

That was one of the requirements to stay in the running for the Oscars. Hollywood has its rules.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

toggle posted:

someone's grumpy about rocko's life getting a bit too modern

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
The skekzies are all gone at the end of the movie. They combine with those weird lizard shamans into....angels or something i don't remember. It was kind of the whole point of the story. Where do these new ones come from

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Zippy the Bummer posted:

The skekzies are all gone at the end of the movie. They combine with those weird lizard shamans into....angels or something i don't remember. It was kind of the whole point of the story. Where do these new ones come from

it’s a prequel.

also thanks for fixing the thread tag jose

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
i thought the elf boy wasn't even aware that the skekzies existed at the beginning of the film

or is this a different elf boy

anyway it sounds dumb as hell

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Zippy the Bummer posted:

i thought the elf boy wasn't even aware that the skekzies existed at the beginning of the film

or is this a different elf boy

anyway it sounds dumb as hell

zippy don’t ruin this for us ok

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
ok

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
what Netflix should have done was make a prequel series for Willow, about how Bavmorda came to power and her war with Galadorn, and how those people in that one city got frozen. I would watch the poo poo out of that

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

pissed they retconned the manga into being just one of the many dream-bubble worlds that David Bowie created for Sarah.

edit- I somehow managed to conflate Legend, Labyrinth, and Dark Crystal into the same blob of Tangerine Dream-soundtracked 80s fantasy greatness.

The holy trinity

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

toggle posted:

There already was one in the original.

no, not Chamberlain

it was this Garthim.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

show us ur podling

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

toggle posted:

show us ur podling

pm me

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The Dark Crystal pretty much started at the end of an era, and the few decades before it were where the story really should have started. The beings landing on Thra, and then using the Crystal to purify themselves, and instead loving up and dividing into the two groups. I remember in the comic or something that the Skesis were really party animals until age started to do them in, and that's when they used the Crystal to gently caress poo poo up. But none of that is ever told in the movie, or any of the important backstory.

We know how the prequel ends but gently caress I am excited for it.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The Garthim are one of my favorite fantasy monsters and I hope they do a good job with them in this. I didn't see any in the trailer.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Excuse me but they are Skeksis and they combine with the urRu back into urSkeks DID YOU EVEN PAY ATTENTION JFC

Man I miss my Dark Crystal artbook, I have no idea what happened to it between moves. Loved all the thought that went into the urSkeks architecture, math, etc. all based on 3s. Brian Froud is one of my favorite artists and a lot of it goes back to this drat movie.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Labes for days posted:

Excuse me but they are Skeksis and they combine with the urRu back into urSkeks DID YOU EVEN PAY ATTENTION JFC

Man I miss my Dark Crystal artbook, I have no idea what happened to it between moves. Loved all the thought that went into the urSkeks architecture, math, etc. all based on 3s. Brian Froud is one of my favorite artists and a lot of it goes back to this drat movie.

This just made me check out the wiki and holy poo poo there's a lot of stuff that was brushed over in the movie... As a kid I would've never knew any of this.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I dunno man they literally explain that in the movie

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

porkchop_express posted:

The holy trinity

those 3 films represented approximately 60% of all glitter used in the 80s. they're so good. all films should look like that all the time.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

some behind the scenes shots

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I can't wait to see the Garthim Dragster

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
For as evil as the Skeksis were, they were surprisingly civilized when it came to resolving succession. Just whack at a stone until their peers agreed on a victor.

I'm not surprised Chamberlain was gunning for being the next Emperor. Isn't a Chamberlain a pretty high ranking position in a court? I kind of assumed he was normally the go between from the Emperor to the rest of the rear end Skeksis.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
If any of you are around London, Netflix is hosting a free Dark Crystal exhibition at the BFI Southbank.

Was lucky to have a chance to see a lot of the props/puppets up close

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Supernorn posted:

If any of you are around London, Netflix is hosting a free Dark Crystal exhibition at the BFI Southbank.

Was lucky to have a chance to see a lot of the props/puppets up close

I saw this online other and I am so goddamn jealous. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones