Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1290324075710156800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Do you think they will reply if I ask if they have the nephew of a colleague running their entire marketing department as a 15 year old intern?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Why they doing it on the Civ reddit?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
That's ballsy of them. Subreddits are usually owned by random guys unrelated to the game devs in question so totally doable.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Why they doing it on the Civ reddit?

That's what civ players call forward settling

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

:monocle:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oof

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Looks like I got my open dev invite this morning. Gonna play a bunch later and post.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

This feels like a thread title, drat.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

:drat:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

onesixtwo posted:

Looks like I got my open dev invite this morning. Gonna play a bunch later and post.

Same, and same

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
These new scenarios are kind of tough. At least the siege one.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Is Persia vs Greece winnable? You can't bash your way through the hoplites or lure them onto lower ground, so there's no way to the flag...?
Anyway, I sort of enjoyed the battles, but their battle UI needs a lot of work. My mouse shouldn't drag path icons around the map when the selected unit is fighting; and the little shield wall animations are excellent until the soldiers stand with their backs to the guys they've just attacked...
e: okay, having looked online, it looks like the hex-side from which you begin the battle has a big effect on where the enemy starts deployed? Hmm.

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 7, 2020

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I was able to win the Persia scenario, but only because the Greek capture point spawned on the river. Every turn they'd stay on the high ground and maul my horses, and every turn I'd send a new bunch of horses in. Then for the second turn of battle, I just left the spot open, and the Greeks declined to recapture it. The AI does a pretty good job of maintaining a line and denying you the high ground. Since you have no ranged units, and your melee units are all dependent on having the high ground, it makes for a very annoying scenario to actually play. Maybe you can bait them into attacking if you keep most of your forces behind the ridge.

The Vikings in Paris scenario is a lot more fun, although it really highlights some problems with the reinforcements system. Why is there a distinction between reinforcements and reserve? Why do reinforcing armies start by putting all their units onto a single hex, and having you right-click them out of that hex one-by-one, and give you no indication of which unit you've got selected? Why would you make a scenario with sea reinforcements, and not have a message about how you've got to put them on land first? First time around I was able to eke out a win; since my entire army died, the AI decided I was weak, and repeatedly attacked into my trebuchets. Second time around it all went smoothly; I consolidated my forces before the battle, and steadily ground through them.

It's very unpleasant to play without fast combat animations on.

Anyway, the AI is pretty effective at using its units; my main gripes are with the scenario design and the lack of information.

edit: Reddit post detailing the damage tables; a small difference in strength can produce a huge difference in damage.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 7, 2020

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What do the capture points do? Sat on the Paris one and nothing seemed to happen, grabbed the Persia one once and same thing.

And yeah the battle UI is annoying. Wish they'd just highlight the hexes you can move to a la AOW Planetfall, instead of dragging the line around. It's also hard to tell how many moves you've got left for a particular unit.

The animations also feel kinda wimpy. Like little rubber men shaking a bag of beans at each other.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What do the capture points do? Sat on the Paris one and nothing seemed to happen, grabbed the Persia one once and same thing.

They might be reinforcement point flags, which the enemy gets even if they have no reinforcements

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
If both sides have troops remaining when the battle timer runs out, whoever is holding the capture point wins. So you can win the Persia/Greece battle by nabbing the capture point, sitting your immortals on a hill and watching the hoplites shuffle around impotently.

Third time around I managed to comfortably win that scenario, though you actually need to plan things out tactically - right down to your initial attack position. It's not super clear, but when you preview the attack it shows you the extent of the battlefield, and where both sides will be allowed to deploy. I found it way easier to orient the battlefield NE-SW, so that river near the city is way in the back of the Greek zone and away from the fighting. You should be able to get most of your immortals up on the high ground quickly, and sneak your cavalry along the river canyon - you can use the forest tiles to hide, though you have to really hunt for them as they aren't super visible. Suicide your horses into the archers and your immortals should be able to mostly attack downhill and mop up the hoplites.

There's a lot to like here, though I feel like it's kind of shaping up more like a Total War: Civilisation game than a straight Civ clone. Maybe the extended battle scenarios give a slightly misleading impression.

Has anyone managed to win the Japan/Korea battle scenario? I only had one shot but got slaughtered within 6-7 rounds. Attacking uphill with the samurai is brutal, and the arquebusiers in the back just get pounded into dust by the mortars.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Update: managed to win the Korea/Japan scenario on the third try, though it was a technical victory. I managed to hang on for about 15 turns until finally I just had one samurai left, hiding in the forests on the right near the river. For whatever reason, the enemies all bugged out and stopped moving, so I hit End Turn five times in a row and won the battle :v:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Ok, I'm sort of warming up to Humankind now. A lot of my dislike for the battles comes from the scenarios themselves- it's much easier to care about an army when you've built it and have plans for it and the map! Otherwise it all feels kind of pointless; I've never really liked war-only scenarios in the civ games either.

webmeister posted:

Update: managed to win the Korea/Japan scenario on the third try, though it was a technical victory. I managed to hang on for about 15 turns until finally I just had one samurai left, hiding in the forests on the right near the river. For whatever reason, the enemies all bugged out and stopped moving, so I hit End Turn five times in a row and won the battle :v:

That has to be the only way to do it. Those mortars are horrifying.

Hef Deezy
Jun 11, 2006

Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.
My first impression last week was "Is anything even happening?" but I warmed up a whole bunch too. I basically play Civ as a city-building game, so once I got a handle on the expansion mechanics in the first scenario, I got really into it. Just wish it was more than 29 turns.

I am very bad at 4x combat, so the combat scenarios I was less excited for. But coming in from that perspective, I found the unit bonuses plus the terrain bonuses/penalties to be simple to understand while still feeling interesting to play. Way, way easier to comprehend than Endless Legend battles. There's for sure a lot of stuff that needs smoothing over (vision is near impossible to figure out), but I'm liking what's already there.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah, LOS and vision seem bugged or not at all explained. Do your own troops block LOS? Do enemy troops? There were multiple times in the Korea/Japan battle when their troops could shoot mine, but I couldn't return fire. There's one tile in the south-east corner of that map which I'm almost certain is bugged, because it can only hit about a third of the squares it should be able to hit.

Apparently someone on Reddit managed to win that scenario without losing a unit which seems incredible. They said the trick was that enemies can't see your troops in forests unless you shoot at them, so you can hide all your guys behind the river, negating the mortars and luring them into a trap. Then you can pound them down quickly with the samurai who actually do okay attacking from uphill into the river.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Played a lot of scenario 1 so far. I learned that food works by threshold so putting citizens onto food production is practically a waste compared to putting them on industry or money. I should probably make two cities instead on the horse province in order to fast track pumping out scout cav to kill the wandering animals more efficiently.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
As I predicted Mughals are one of the civs

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1293268476988137472

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Ok, Hold the Fort is up. I like that they are really leaning into the Nonsense Alternate History thing with this one.
Incidentally: when the little icon before a battle says your army is weaker overall, that isn't a glitch; it means that one sword unit you're attacking has another five buddies he can call up as reinforcements, and also your dudes are now dead.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I just finished it. Lost Oxford (and all my nights); they were besieging London at the end, but the AI ran out of time before it could kill me. Holy hell, those elephants are too strong. My melee units would commit suicide if I sent them to attack, and my ranged units could do 5-10 damage per hit, whereas the elephants could fire back and deal around 60 damage. They tended to attack the nearest enemy, so I was able to able to keep my archers alive by sacrificing melee units. Still, though, it's wonky. The elephants had a combat strength of around 43; they should be stronger than my 33-strength units, but not "can two-shot everything and never die" type strong.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I'm liking a lot of what they are doing here, but I really dislike the pacing of the combat. It feels like combat takes an extremely tedious amount of time even for simple battles. It might just be due to there not being any kind of 'fast animation' toggle for the open dev, but i'm already finding myself dreading combat phases and attempting to avoid it at all possible. That's definitely not a good sign for me because I'm getting distracted and losing interest during every battle or siege that takes more than 5-10 minutes.

Game plays real nicely otherwise, looks great, I'm a big fan of how the expansion of territory is taking place, it's a nice sim city feel to it. I just really hope combat gets faster playback speed options (instant, i don't need to watch my units do animations, period, i don't care, I just need the game to not lose my attention span waiting for 5+ enemy units to walk over to me) and auto-battle should automatically resolve battles instead of 'playing the battle for you, but at a much faster speed you cannot toggle on for yourself.'

I'm going to keep trying to dig into it more, but oof. I hate how the combat plays out, or feels to play more so.

I really enjoy the requirements to utilize the terrain bonuses to your advantage, for example high ground is loving bonkers strong, do not ever try attacking into it and it is worth standing in high ground allowing your enemy to attack you even if it means just clicking end round and not moving anything around.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 16, 2020

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

onesixtwo posted:

I'm liking a lot of what they are doing here, but I really dislike the pacing of the combat. It feels like combat takes an extremely tedious amount of time even for simple battles. It might just be due to there not being any kind of 'fast animation' toggle for the open dev, but i'm already finding myself dreading combat phases and attempting to avoid it at all possible. That's definitely not a good sign for me because I'm getting distracted and losing interest during every battle or siege that takes more than 5-10 minutes.

Yea that's the biggest issue I have with civ5/6 combat taking multiple turns. The elegance of single attack, = battle resolved is much preferred especially in the end game when I have 40 cities pumping out 40+ units a turn and I'm trying to sweep the world and win a conquest victory.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

onesixtwo posted:

I really enjoy the requirements to utilize the terrain bonuses to your advantage, for example high ground is loving bonkers strong, do not ever try attacking into it and it is worth standing in high ground allowing your enemy to attack you even if it means just clicking end round and not moving anything around.

I have a fear this'll end up in stomping the AI in single player and dreadful stalemates in multiplayer. Any signs of that not being the case?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
There is in fact an animation speed setting, it's called something weird like "speed multiplication factor", but it's there

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Krazyface posted:

There is in fact an animation speed setting, it's called something weird like "speed multiplication factor", but it's there

This helps significantly, I thought I checked the menu enough but clearly didn't hover over to read battle animation speed. "Choreography Time Scale."On 3x, you can still completely make out what happens without feeling a drag between the unit moving, attacking, resetting to their own hex. Whoops!

I have a fear this'll end up in stomping the AI in single player and dreadful stalemates in multiplayer. Any signs of that not being the case?

Tough to know either way this early in. Terrain is just a big numerical factor in combat so far, minimizing your opponents access to good defensive tiles / forcing chokepoints before you engage is going to be necessary. River tiles apply -3 to everyone, high ground and forest give +4 to defender, and they all stack. The basic starting warrior on a forested high ground has 23 strength by default & +8 from terrain vs cavalry at 36 standing on a -3 river tile, 31 vs 33 evens it out quick. Pikeman have +9 vs cavalry, and so far anything more than 2-3 combat strength difference seems to matter a lot.

There's also just going to be situations like this, only possible due to where I initiated combat on the world map and got a cheesy deployment zone.

they had a very bad / impossible path to get up to attack me, and simply couldn't move for three turns before the combat ended. If they did move to attack, it would have just killed their own units with barely any damage being done to me. Combat has big breakpoints in how much damage is done compared to the overall unit strength. You very quickly run into situations projecting you doing 5-10 damage while receiving 50-65.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 17, 2020

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Finally got around to playing the Hold the Fort scenario. Holy poo poo those elephants :stonk:.

I barely managed to hold Oxenford due to having emptied my treasury on a lot of Longbowmen and even then there were moments where unfavorable attrition of longbowmen would've tipped the scales towards the Khmer. Oxenford really needs a stronghold or two rushed since unlike London it can't rely on having knights charge from the high ground into the elephants to kill them off.

Danann fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 17, 2020

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

After playing Hold the Fort a few more times, there is definitely tension between the economic profitability of city district placement and the military soundness of it. Forests for example boosts industry by quite a decent amount but it also provides cover against range fire which can result in a great swordsman being able to force his way into the city through that route. It can be clear cut to deny the enemy cover but the terrain will be poorer for it afterwards.

Strongholds are also not worth it placed outside of the city walls because if it falls then it means the enemy can use it for both cover and as a range extender on their own ranged units. I've never had a Khmer elephant occupy any of strongholds but people have had bad experiences with uber elephants sheltering in the poorly placed strongholds by London. Ideal placement for strongholds seem to be high elevation, cliffs, and the presence of other districts to shield the ranged unit using it from melee attacks. Line of sight should also be taken into consideration since gunners will be a pretty common type of ranged unit.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1295752347172458498

They're doing these in alphab order. Interestingly, there haven't been any Ottomans yet, which would mean that they're either not in the game, or they're not in the EM era. Or they called them "Turks", I guess.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I'll riot if they call them Turks. It'd be odd that they're in the Industrial Era in that they were kind of a big deal during the 16th/17th Centuries but they could be doing the logic of them being around into WW1. That'd be inconsistent with like, how they've done most cultures now though.

Hoping there's a delay, or they're just not in the base game at this point. Both of those would be preferable.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Do we have a release date for this yet? I'm quite looking forward to it.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
It got pushed back to 2021 but no specific date.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Krazyface posted:

They're doing these in alphab order. Interestingly, there haven't been any Ottomans yet, which would mean that they're either not in the game, or they're not in the EM era. Or they called them "Turks", I guess.

They revealed the Aztecs last in the medieval reveal, so it's not strictly alphabetical.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Aerdan posted:

They revealed the Aztecs last in the medieval reveal, so it's not strictly alphabetical.

They usually give us a heads up that somethings off regarding that, so unless I missed something then this means one of those things. Same thing happened with the Celts in the reveals because of an art issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Krazyface posted:

Is their name different in French?