Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzoRd14L7AQ

wikipedia posted:

soon after the dissolution of the Soviet Union, the project was cancelled

im fuming about this. we shouldve lost the Cold War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Russianime

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
don't worry russia ended up funding another story about an evil sorcerer-king (Drumpf) who wants to destroy the kingdoms of men (america) but luckily there will be another group of heroes that will unite and put a stop to his reign of evil (Biden as the wise Gandalf type, Harris as the proud Aragorn hero, O'Rourke and Booker as the plucky Hobbits who triumph against adversity...)

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
The thing with the men kissing isn't gay, in communism all are equal so you do it as much as you would a woman. Nice to see they practiced the same communist practice in Middle Earth.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

In a marxist-leninist view Smaug did nothing wrong imo. Those dwarves were asking for it, using their natural resources and factories, staffed by likely underpaid midgets, to economically dominate the surrounding area.

He just didn't do the next step of distributing the means of production to the people :shrug:

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
The hobbit movies are so insanely bad it cancels out the good aspects of the lotr trilogy including howard shore's amazing soundtrack.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Is LOTR an allegory for the U.S. civil war? Mordor is an an industrialized society full of various blood thirsty non white foreigners Orks Urukhai middle eastern looking dudes. The heroes live in a feudal agrarian society full of honour and other nonsense.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

White Phosphorus posted:

Is LOTR an allegory for the U.S. civil war? Mordor is an an industrialized society full of various blood thirsty non white foreigners Orks Urukhai middle eastern looking dudes. The heroes live in a feudal agrarian society full of honour and other nonsense.

He said it wasn't an allegory for anything. He just wanted to right weird words and languages.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
But there is a good hobbit movie. :ms:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That animated Hobbit movie owns.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i heard the hobbit cartoon for children was actually good but no thanks ill wait for the anime like an adult

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
If you squint the cgi is good in the hobbit, and consequently the scene with the dwarves, elves and orcs is pretty badass

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

gary oldmans diary posted:

i heard the hobbit cartoon for children was actually good but no thanks ill wait for the anime like an adult

It's good and owns

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead, today and tomorrow are yet to be said, the chances, the changes, are all yours to make, the mould of your life is in your hands to break.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Creamed Cormp posted:

don't worry russia ended up funding another story about an evil sorcerer-king (Drumpf) who wants to destroy the kingdoms of men (america) but luckily there will be another group of heroes that will unite and put a stop to his reign of evil (Biden as the wise Gandalf type, Harris as the proud Aragorn hero, O'Rourke and Booker as the plucky Hobbits who triumph against adversity...)

lol

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
bilbo

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
bilbo you must help us bilbo

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
bilbo baggins and his friend dick nutsack

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
[The doorbell rings; Bilbo goes to answer it and finds a dwarf.]
Dwalin: [Bows] Dwalin, at your service.
Bilbo: Uh, Bilbo...Baggins. At yours. [Dwalin walks in] Do we know each other?
Dwalin: (muffled laughter) No. Which way, laddie? Is it down here?
Bilbo: Is what down where?
Dwalin: (muffled laughter) Supper. He said there'd be food and lots of it.
Bilbo: He said? Who said?
[Dwalin proceeds to the kitchen and eats Bilbo's dinner]
Dwalin: (muffled laughter) Very good, this. Any more?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Lol

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Colonel Cancer posted:

In a marxist-leninist view Smaug did nothing wrong imo. Those dwarves were asking for it, using their natural resources and factories, staffed by likely underpaid midgets, to economically dominate the surrounding area.

He just didn't do the next step of distributing the means of production to the people :shrug:

Nah man Smaug is the capitalist class

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
in the soviet version, the hobbits after captured by the goblins of the misty mountains, seeing what personal wealth, food and bounty the goblins have question the rule of back home

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
we've seen knockoff Winnie the Pooh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApfKv8Kx4oI

imagine what their garfield would look like

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

free hubcaps posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzoRd14L7AQ

im fuming about this. we shouldve lost the Cold War

You did.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Alan Smithee posted:

we've seen knockoff Winnie the Pooh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApfKv8Kx4oI

imagine what their garfield would look like

Disappointed that link wasn't a video of Xi Jinping.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i really would've liked to have seen bilbo's journey into the alienating world of commodity fetishism as his surplus labor is continually extracted to fuel the profits of hobbit town

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3ymGcDskys

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Peanut Butter posted:

Nah man Smaug is the capitalist class

Smaug wasn't using the means of production, he just kept it safe from the dwarven capitalists. If anything all that gold and poo poo can be considered his personal property because it's not like a dragon is gonna operate a steam press or have a knickknack store, it's all collectible but useless garbage to them :smaug:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
In the DOS hobbit text adventure game you can smoke the pipeweed and kill your friends in either order you desire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc99nX_eN2k&t=466s

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

While the kings of elves, men and dwarves were making deals with the lord of evil for shiny trinkets, Smaug sat on top of his pile of gold, keeping the population away from its obviously corrupting influence.

With Smaug killed and this giant hoard now suddenly in circulation again, it had massive economic consequences that may well have led to the tragic war of the ring.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
What was up with all that man on man open mouth kissing as soon as it started showing characters?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

White Phosphorus posted:

Is LOTR an allegory for the U.S. civil war? Mordor is an an industrialized society full of various blood thirsty non white foreigners Orks Urukhai middle eastern looking dudes.

contrary to popular belief Orcs and Goblins were not one of the "sides" in the american civil war, rather they were used as mercenaries by both sides

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

What was up with all that man on man open mouth kissing as soon as it started showing characters?

just one of the signs of a good movie imo

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

1:33 looks like the cool church bell orphan guy from werner herzog's Bells from the Deep

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

bilbo bulbous dildo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgFV4iVOiVE

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
mods name change to very brave paper dragon please tia

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
We already had a good hobbit movie

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KRqbdpbDwVo

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I remember when I watched Peter Jackon's first two terrible Hobbit films and they were making a big deal out of the arkenstone that when I thought it was something they'd added to create tension in sort of the same way the ring could do that in LotR. I read the book more than one time as a kid but forgot all about that stone being there. It doesn't seem like it needs to be either, Thorin is consumed by it but why not have him just be consumed by greed for the hoard itself? Rather than a specific gem.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
You can just read The Last Ringbearer, a Russian alternative account of the Tolkien saga were Mordor was the good guys going through an industrialization the elves, men and dwarfes wanted to stop. Or something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Ringbearer

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I wish Bilbo would smuggle my hoard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party

iSimian posted:

You can just read The Last Ringbearer, a Russian alternative account of the Tolkien saga were Mordor was the good guys going through an industrialization the elves, men and dwarfes wanted to stop. Or something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Ringbearer

I like how Gandalf is portrayed as a sniveling little bitch. Makes the character more relatable imo