Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

ARACTHION posted:

My buddy more up to date on BCTF news said the BCTF leadership promised not to strike. Is that true cause if so talk about shooting your self in the foot.

This is news to me. How well connected is your friend?

e.
I ask because the leadership has zero authority to make that promise independent of the will of the membership as expressed via the rep assembly.

just another fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
which party will sell vancouver to the chinese government

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Chuka Umana posted:

which party will sell vancouver to the chinese government

I don't think the BC Liberals run candidates federally.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The BCLP, duh.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
That's some quality black comedy, having "The People's Party" be a right-wing extremist rather than a left-wing extremist.

I'm going to make "The New Green Party" where the Green refers to money so it's the opposite of what people expect, in the same way.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

Following the Ontario Teachers discussion from the last thread. I don’t know how much control they have over their own pension fund, but they were a large shareholder in a company I worked for and help vote in a management team put forward by an American Hedge Fund that resulted in myself and half of the companies workforce in being laid off. But hey their pension fund got a nice boost.

Sorry to hear, that really sucks, thanks for following up on this.

Thanks Helsing for the thoughtful and thorough reply.

To answer whoever asked what I would define as a better quality of teacher I guess for me it would be someone who is passionate about the development of their students and capable of preparing them for the future.

I went through the Ontario school system K-12 and there were a lot of truly awful teachers that clearly had no interest in our development or educating us, they were just riding it out until their sweet sweet pension kicked in. Worse than that there were a handful of truly creepy individuals that would stare at or flirt with their students with zero consequences. I had some great teachers too but those aren't the ones I'm concerned with. I also have some good friends that I'm confident would be excellent teachers who are not given the opportunity in part because some of these useless fucks are allowed to putter away leaving their students disillusioned and ill-prepared for the hellscape that awaits them.

I assumed that the reason these wholly unqualified people were able to continue in their positions was that the school system lacked the ability to dismiss them, I could be mistaken, I am not an expert when it comes to unions or our education system. My assumption was that their union granted them greater protections than they otherwise would receive. I am not suggesting abolishing teachers unions is a good idea or would result in a better education system, as I already said I don't have an answer or solution.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

eXXon posted:

I don't think the BC Liberals run candidates federally.

i wrote to the bc libs earlier this year to complain about how vancouver has only three (three!!!) burberry stores in the city when it should clearly have more.

i never heard back

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Canadian politics: gently caress Hope.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Corte posted:

Sorry to hear, that really sucks, thanks for following up on this.

Thanks Helsing for the thoughtful and thorough reply.

To answer whoever asked what I would define as a better quality of teacher I guess for me it would be someone who is passionate about the development of their students and capable of preparing them for the future.

I went through the Ontario school system K-12 and there were a lot of truly awful teachers that clearly had no interest in our development or educating us, they were just riding it out until their sweet sweet pension kicked in. Worse than that there were a handful of truly creepy individuals that would stare at or flirt with their students with zero consequences. I had some great teachers too but those aren't the ones I'm concerned with. I also have some good friends that I'm confident would be excellent teachers who are not given the opportunity in part because some of these useless fucks are allowed to putter away leaving their students disillusioned and ill-prepared for the hellscape that awaits them.

I assumed that the reason these wholly unqualified people were able to continue in their positions was that the school system lacked the ability to dismiss them, I could be mistaken, I am not an expert when it comes to unions or our education system. My assumption was that their union granted them greater protections than they otherwise would receive. I am not suggesting abolishing teachers unions is a good idea or would result in a better education system, as I already said I don't have an answer or solution.
A couple of points (but I'm phone posting at the moment so I'll be brief):

All the union does is ensure that due process is followed and the employer abides by the collective agreement language that was fairly bargained and mutually agreed to. There is no language in any CA that says that it's okay to be a garbage teacher who fails to fulfil their professional duties. There will be, however, language that says that any teacher accused of abdicating their duties will be impartially and appropriately investigated, and that the employer will not act unreasonably. In this sense, the union grants greater protections in the same way a defense lawyer does.

The monthly ON teacher magazine has a section at the back that names and shames every teacher in the province who is currently under investigation, including a summary of the accusations. These cases run from the truly deplorable to the stupidly petty. In almost all cases, the investigation began with accusations from a student bolstered by a parent advocate. If nobody steps forward to say anything then nothing can happen, but that had nothing to do with the union. Once the complaint is made then there are mechanisms in place to ensure that an investigation will be pursued, but that requires strong advocates who can work the system. These can be few and far between, especially in marginalized communities, but that is not a reflection of union malfeasance and I doubt students would be better served by an alternative where teachers walk on eggshells because an accusation was as damning as a conviction.

In the case of the pettier investigations, it's not a stretch to picture the Karen working the system to punish the teacher for failing to worship their darling the way they do.

In my experience, nobody wants to give a poo poo teacher a free pass, but even the poo poo teacher is entitled to the protections afforded by the CA (and is only entitled to that much). Any language that makes it easier to dismiss a teacher means it's easier to dismiss any teacher for frivolous or petty reasons.

Finally, there's a good chance that your high school-era impression of your teachers was as arrogant and ill-informed as most teenagers opinions and imprssions are on any given topic.

Finally finally, don't buy in to the Ms. Fizzle trope. It is an exceedingly rare teacher who is going to nudge a student off whatever trajectory their on, either for better or for worse, and there is a huuuge difference between a teacher not trying to educate you and a teacher not trying to entertain you.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Charles Bukowski posted:

Now that's something I can get behind, who wants to start the Despair Party?

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Charles Bukowski posted:

Hey now. It's not nearly as bad as Chilliwack.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am 1 million % certain if we had all private schools or poorly paid teachers we'd have immensely more problems than we do with our current well paid union teacher workforce. If teaching only paid 30-35k, the amount of poorly skilled teachers would be so much higher than we see today, not to mention the amount of creeps.

I do remember thinking the same thing in high school, the popular thought that "why is teacher X still here, he hates his job, the union must be protecting him". But thats true in any job, we just only have exposures to teachers when we are kids.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
https://twitter.com/JesseBrown/status/1165316203826622464?s=19

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Is that really surprising from the paper that regularly jerks off Conrad Black, Thomas Sowell and, of course, Trump?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Alberta's associate minister of red tape reduction (because they have a ministry of red tape reduction, which seems counterproductive to me but whatever) tweeted this poo poo recently.

Now deleted, naturally.

Turns out one of Edmonton's radio station managers used the quote in an op-ed that has, also, quietly been edited.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/grant-hunter-wernher-von-braun-1.5259022

quote:

An Alberta associate minister tweeted before deleting a quote attributed to a prominent figure from Nazi Germany on Saturday.

MLA Grant Hunter, the province's associate minister of red tape reduction, wrote, "Wernher von Braun said, 'To conquer the universe you'd have to solve two problems: gravity and red tape.' We've made it clear that we are committed to reducing red tape in Alberta. Lots more to come..."

The quote came from an opinion piece linked by Hunter in his tweet.

That op-ed, written by news manager of the Corus Edmonton group of radio stations Bob Layton, was still live on the Global News website as of Saturday evening — the article had been edited to remove the quote around 7 p.m.

An editor's note at the top of the article read: "This editorial has been updated to remove a quotation which lacked context and clarity. Its inclusion may have unintentionally offended some readers."

An embedded video of Layton reading the quote aloud had also been removed.

Hunter's tweet was posted at 1 p.m. Saturday, and deleted approximately an hour later. He then reposted a link to the article, minus the quote from von Braun.

Hunter's press secretary said Saturday the minister would be unavailable for an interview, and declined to send a comment, instead suggesting CBC News contact Global/CHED/Corus.

CBC has reached out to both Layton and Corus Entertainment and has yet to receive a response.

Von Braun was an aerospace engineer and SS officer who developed the V-2 ballistic missile for the Nazis during the Second World War. The missiles were used in the London Blitz and were built at a concentration camp by prisoners — thousands of whom died at the camp.

The former Nazi SS officer later came to the United States, where he used his expertise to become a central player in the development of the U.S. space program.

Von Braun is seen by some as "not a 'real' Nazi … many critics and many survivors of the Mittelbau-Dora Concentration Camp, on the other hand, see him as an unprincipled opportunity or even a convinced Nazi who was directly responsible for the deaths of 20,000 prisoners," according to an article published in the academic journal German Studies Review.

Lori Williams, a political scientist with Mount Royal University, said in the age of social media, it's important to be careful about sharing a quote unless you know the source.

"To simply repeat a quotation without naming the source might look a little bit less problematic. But to actually say the name of a Nazi officer and then quote it, highly problematic.

"And it would be a little bit different had it not been that he … made comments about the superior stock about the people in his constituency, and actually used the word Aryan, misspelled it," Williams said, referring to a 2010 letter to the editor Hunter submitted to the Cardston Temple City Star.

"He's got to be very careful about using language associated with Nazis."

Controversial comments

The Taber-Warner MLA is no stranger to controversy.

In 2016, Hunter was one of eight then-Wildrose MLAs who signed a column comparing the carbon tax to the genocide of millions of Ukrainians in the 1930s. The party later apologized.

In 2018, he apologized after comparing the NDP's 2015 election victory to the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, which killed more than 200,000 people, the Taber Times reported.

Williams said his accumulated comments could pose a political problem.

"If you put together an accumulation of these kind of remarks, failed policies, broken promises, some of the scandals that have been associated with the leadership campaign, all that stuff put together could accumulate into something that could be much more problematic in the next election," Williams said.

"If it happens again I think the party is going to have to look carefully at whether they want to continue to have him represent them because it could start to blow back on the party."

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Surprising? No.

Should National Post's fraudulent dishonesty make the news? Yes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Leofish posted:

Alberta's associate minister of red tape reduction (because they have a ministry of red tape reduction, which seems counterproductive to me but whatever) tweeted this poo poo recently.

Now deleted, naturally.

Turns out one of Edmonton's radio station managers used the quote in an op-ed that has, also, quietly been edited.

This is kind of tangential, but is the original news story advertising an app that makes it easier to fire people?

That's, uh, not exactly what I would tout as a miracle of job creation lmao

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

No, it's just a baffling way to refer to proof of car insurance.

"As the Alberta’s UCP government keeps another election promise, you’ll now be able to put your vehicle’s pink slip proof of insurance coverage on your cell phone."

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

It is kind of disconcerting to have a boss talk about "pink slips" so excitedly.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

No, it's just a baffling way to refer to proof of car insurance.

"As the Alberta’s UCP government keeps another election promise, you’ll now be able to put your vehicle’s pink slip proof of insurance coverage on your cell phone."

Okay that makes more sense but is still bizarre to me as someone raised on a steady diet of cross-border American culture where pink slip has only ever been slang for getting fired.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

vyelkin posted:

Okay that makes more sense but is still bizarre to me as someone raised on a steady diet of cross-border American culture where pink slip has only ever been slang for getting fired.

Someone's never seen a Fast and the Furious movie.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Possible solution to Andrew Scheer's pride parade problem: showing up at one with a sign that says "DOWN WITH GAYS" and valiantly trying to convince people that the meaning of the sign is ambiguous without ever saying which one he was going for.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Leofish posted:

Now deleted, naturally.

Always a good sign when politicians start quoting famous Nazis

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

"Lots more to come, ellipsis."

James Baud posted:

Possible solution to Andrew Scheer's pride parade problem: showing up at one with a sign that says "DOWN WITH GAYS THIS SORT OF THING" and valiantly trying to convince people that the meaning of the sign is ambiguous without ever saying which one he was going for.

Careful now.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

just another posted:

Finally, there's a good chance that your high school-era impression of your teachers was as arrogant and ill-informed as most teenagers opinions and imprssions are on any given topic.

Finally finally, don't buy in to the Ms. Fizzle trope. It is an exceedingly rare teacher who is going to nudge a student off whatever trajectory their on, either for better or for worse, and there is a huuuge difference between a teacher not trying to educate you and a teacher not trying to entertain you.

Thank you for taking the time to educate me on this. I'll admit it's possible I have a biased or compromised perspective but think you're teetering on over-generalizing suggesting teenagers aren't capable of sound judgement. My experience is anecdotal but I had good and bad teachers so I was able to differentiate. It's possible I wasn't mature enough to recognize what truly makes a teacher good at their job but I could definitely tell when they didn't give a poo poo. In addition friends and classmates drew similar conclusions regarding problem teachers for what it's worth. This was years ago so maybe the system has changed since my time in it or maybe my experience was an outlier. I have to disagree with your rather bleak take on the impact teachers can make as I had a few great ones that really made a difference.

zapplez posted:

I am 1 million % certain if we had all private schools or poorly paid teachers we'd have immensely more problems than we do with our current well paid union teacher workforce. If teaching only paid 30-35k, the amount of poorly skilled teachers would be so much higher than we see today, not to mention the amount of creeps.

I do remember thinking the same thing in high school, the popular thought that "why is teacher X still here, he hates his job, the union must be protecting him". But thats true in any job, we just only have exposures to teachers when we are kids.

Absolutely, I can't overstate enough that I am not advocating for abolishing the teachers union, paying teachers less or privatizing education. You're right that this isn't an issue unique to education and that this is certainly the field I had the most exposure to initially. I just wish there was a way to weed out those that truly don't want to be there because it's not fair to the kids that are stuck with them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Corte posted:

I just wish there was a way to weed out those that truly don't want to be there because it's not fair to the kids that are stuck with them.

As has been explained (quite well), there is, it's called management doing their jobs. There is a very clearly defined formal disciplinary process and all it requires is proper documentation on the part of the administration. Following this process properly will lead to termination of a teacher who is unwilling or unable to do their job to the standard expected by the school board. I'm not sure what you envision that would improve this process without also allowing for abuse by management.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Yeah, you shouldn't blame the union for protecting their members, blame the management for failing to go through the clearly defined hoops to get them fired. It's not impossible to be fired, it's just harder. Which is a good thing, because otherwise the dynamic between worker and management is too far in management's favour.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
https://twitter.com/Rick62Klassen/status/1164977781198872576?s=19

Lol.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
And nothing of value will be learned from this.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

infernal machines posted:

As has been explained (quite well), there is, it's called management doing their jobs. There is a very clearly defined formal disciplinary process and all it requires is proper documentation on the part of the administration. Following this process properly will lead to termination of a teacher who is unwilling or unable to do their job to the standard expected by the school board. I'm not sure what you envision that would improve this process without also allowing for abuse by management.

Ardent Communist posted:

Yeah, you shouldn't blame the union for protecting their members, blame the management for failing to go through the clearly defined hoops to get them fired. It's not impossible to be fired, it's just harder. Which is a good thing, because otherwise the dynamic between worker and management is too far in management's favour.

Huh, you're absolutely right, thanks for enlightening me.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It's defs pounded in your head from a young age tbh, teachers unions are a bogeyman for a lot of people. Or they are in Alberta, land of loudly hating on unions. I certainly felt that way for a while.

I work in education (like, not as a teacher, but some peripheral stuff) so I get super salty about bad teachers as well, but the union probably gets a pretty disproportionate amount of blame. I think there's this imaginary thing that people like to think of where they go "oh if the union wasn't there the bad teachers wouldn't be protected and everything would be wonderful" and it's like.....look around. Do you see any industries that have figured out a way to effectively remove people who are bad at their jobs in a consistent and fair manner? I've only seen one person fired in my last two years of work, and that was because they kept disappearing for days off that they didn't actually have accrued. People are who hang around being mediocre at poo poo hang around forever in every career, you just notice it less when you're not locked in a room with them for an hour a day (obvs this doesn't apply for harrassment and the like).

I know saying that 'yeah there's bad workers in every field" is definitely not a satisfying answer, I just think that there's this oft-held myth that everything would be all Mr. Hollands Opus if the union wasn't in the way (not trying to imply this is how you feel, I just see this a lot) , and I figure realistically, it would probably be about the same.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 25, 2019

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

Following the Ontario Teachers discussion from the last thread. I don’t know how much control they have over their own pension fund, but they were a large shareholder in a company I worked for and help vote in a management team put forward by an American Hedge Fund that resulted in myself and half of the companies workforce in being laid off. But hey their pension fund got a nice boost.

Ontario teachers have a defined benefit jointly sponsored pension plan, which gives them indirect control over their pension fund investing at best. The board members that sit on the pension board are a mix of employers and employee representatives who have a fiduciary duty to do what's best for the pension plan. The board sets out general goals and strategy, but tends not to interfere with investment decisions directly as long as the plan is in a surplus position. As it turns out, acting like VC vultures is a pretty good way to turn over profit, although pension plans tend to have enough money to throw around that they'll invest in long-term return projects like infrastructure and buildings.

That's the beginning and end of whatever impact they have on the pension plan's investment strategy, and the big innovation in JSPPs has been to recruit Bay street investment people to tackle their investments which has seen a general increase in the size and stability of these plans, making them some of the biggest and well respected pension plans in North America at least. "Canada-style" pension plans is a term that gets thrown around in the industry although no one can really clearly define what that means.

It's completely understandable to be pissed off at a pension plan for using their share in a company to poo poo on workers for the sake of profits. They bear as much social responsibility for acting in an ethical way as any other entity with capital to invest, though I know there's been attempts to get the big pension plans in Ontario to get on board with a governance strategy that seeks to use their shareholder stake to force companies to behave ethically, which is about as vague and useful as you imagine it is.

The only thing I object to is that for some reason Teachers draws the ire of a certain group of people who accuse it and other pension plans of being uniquely evil in their investment strategy, or that the pension system is some kind of ponzi scheme. I know American journalist Doug Henwood and some people working out of one of the Ontario unions have leveled some pretty good criticisms of the pension industry in general, and I'm more sympathetic to that.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 25, 2019

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Dreylad posted:

Ontario teachers have a defined benefit jointly sponsored pension plan, which gives them indirect control over their pension fund investing at best. The board members that sit on the pension board are a mix of employers and employee representatives who have a fiduciary duty to do what's best for the pension plan. The board sets out general goals and strategy, but tends not to interfere with investment decisions directly as long as the plan is in a surplus position. As it turns out, acting like VC vultures is a pretty good way to turn over profit, although pension plans tend to have enough money to throw around that they'll invest in long-term return projects like infrastructure and buildings.

That's the beginning and end of whatever impact they have on the pension plan's investment strategy, and the big innovation in JSPPs has been to recruit Bay street investment people to tackle their investments which has seen a general increase in the size and stability of these plans, making them some of the biggest and well respected pension plans in North America at least. "Canada-style" pension plans is a term that gets thrown around in the industry although no one can really clearly define what that means.

It's completely understandable to be pissed off at a pension plan for using their share in a company to poo poo on workers for the sake of profits. They bear as much social responsibility for acting in an ethical way as any other entity with capital to invest, though I know there's been attempts to get the big pension plans in Ontario to get on board with a governance strategy that seeks to use their shareholder stake to force companies to behave ethically, which is about as vague and useful as you imagine it is.

The only thing I object to is that for some reason Teachers draws the ire of a certain group of people who accuse it and other pension plans of being uniquely evil in their investment strategy, or that the pension system is some kind of ponzi scheme. I know American journalist Doug Henwood and some people working out of one of the Ontario unions have leveled some pretty good criticisms of the pension industry in general, and I'm more sympathetic to that.

I've always had the sneaking suspiscion that public pension funds are used as dumping grounds for equity/investments in bubbles by finance capital after the bubble's popped, and their managers are in on the scams, getting lucrative sinecures for letting dump toxic assets on the public. For example:

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2019/07/as-risky-finances-alienate-investors-fracking-companies-look-to-retirement-funds-for-cash.html

quote:

For Chesapeake, the deal offered a way to pay off some of its debts, incurred as its former CEO, “Shale King“Aubrey McClendon, led Chesapeake on a disastrous shale drilling spree. Shares of Chesapeake Energy, which in the early days of the fracking boom traded in the $20 to $30 a share range, are now valued at a little more than $1.50.

quote:

Chesapeake, of course, is not alone in discovering that shale drilling can be financially disastrous for investors. In 2018, the top 29 shale producers spent $6.69 billion more than they earned from operations, an April report by Reuters concluded — a spending record racked up two years after investors began pushing shale drillers to start turning a profit. In December 2017, the Wall Street Journal found that shale producers had spent $280 billion more than the oil and gas they sold was worth between 2007 and 2017, the first 10 years of the shale drilling rush.

“We lost the growth investors,” Pioneer Natural Resources CEO Scott Sheffield recently told the Journal. “Now we’ve got to attract a whole other set of investors.”

Encino, which bought up Chesapeake Energy’s 900,000 acres of drilling rights in Ohio’s Utica shale in that $2 billion deal, may have found its “other” investors: the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB), which manages retirement funds on behalf of the Canada Pension Plan.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
So none of the major parties are going to do anything about the housing bubbles in the major cities huh.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

mila kunis posted:

I've always had the sneaking suspiscion that public pension funds are used as dumping grounds for equity/investments in bubbles by finance capital after the bubble's popped, and their managers are in on the scams, getting lucrative sinecures for letting dump toxic assets on the public. For example:

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2019/07/as-risky-finances-alienate-investors-fracking-companies-look-to-retirement-funds-for-cash.html

CPPIB also got into trouble recently for investing in some of the companies supporting the ICE detention centres. Although I'd say there is a difference between something like CPPIB and other pension plans which aren't public per se. The problem is that the industry is highly regulated here, those regulations differ from province to province, and the structure of pensions can differ from plan to plan -- a lot of the plans that failed in the United States were also defined benefit plans that served public employees, but differ significantly in terms of governance and regulations governing the plan. And these differences that do matter are lost on most journalists. Doesn't make your point wrong, although in theory we all should have a say about what the country's pension plan invests in.

Meanwhile there's the whole predatory industry run by banks and investment firms that will bug you nonstop if you have a pension to pull it out and stuff it into an annuity or something. Money socked away in a pension plan is money that isn't being managed by somebody who gets a 2-3% or more admin fee. That and the general fiscal conservative assault on pensions tends to make the people who do like them extremely defensive about them, missing the very important and real criticism of the industry.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

mila kunis posted:

So none of the major parties are going to do anything about the housing bubbles in the major cities huh.

What, and ruin homeowner equity :thunk:?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Wab is gonna save me $1000 on my first home purchase

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i like how the reaction is "well we still want housing to be a commodity but we want it to be a Canadian-owned commodity"

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
We're one small step away from removing the stress test which would inflate the bubble even more. You can bet if the conservatives win it will be gone. No political party wants property values to drop before an election. It's the only thing propping up our house of cards economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

just another posted:

In my experience, nobody wants to give a poo poo teacher a free pass, but even the poo poo teacher is entitled to the protections afforded by the CA (and is only entitled to that much). Any language that makes it easier to dismiss a teacher means it's easier to dismiss any teacher for frivolous or petty reasons.

I'm not a teacher, but I'm not aware of any workplace where management can't send you packing if they really, really want to. You'll get written up for other stuff, your position will be eliminated, or you'll be reassigned to somewhere really inconvenient.

Arcsquad12 posted:

And then Kenney and Ford will ram through a back to work legislation

It will be interesting to Ford attempts to bind a mediator to 1% yearly increases. That won't stand up without use of the notwithstanding clause, but at this point, maybe they're hoping the next government will take that budgetary hit.

mila kunis posted:

Trump may take care of that.