Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Postmedia is going with the “actually everything is fine, we’re only seeing an uptick in cases because we’re testing more” narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

Postmedia is going with the “actually everything is fine, we’re only seeing an uptick in cases because we’re testing more” narrative.
Lmao this is an outright lie, our positivity rate is up and our testing sites are swamped, more likely we're missing a lot of cases

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Tippecanoe posted:

Lmao this is an outright lie, our positivity rate is up and our testing sites are swamped, more likely we're missing a lot of cases

Yeah this. Ontario is running the same amount of tests as early August but finding triple the cases.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
If O'Toole does die of the rona, is Scheer gonnw loving try to run again for leader? I bet the poo poo weasel will try

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I just wish we could be governed by people who aren't complete loving idiots. Is that too much to ask?

I don't have to agree with them on everything, I just want them to not be utter goddamn morons who do stupid poo poo over and over again. My standards are low. The slogan for the next candidate I vote for could easily be: "I'm not a loving dunce!" provided it's actually true.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They aren’t all idiots, they know drat well what they’re doing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So they're not idiots they're just cruel vindictive petty and evil.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So Ontario has so many cases that they have to clamp down on social gatherings, but not so many that offices should stop from reopening completely even if everyone can work from home?

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick

eXXon posted:

So Ontario has so many cases that they have to clamp down on social gatherings, but not so many that offices should stop from reopening completely even if everyone can work from home?

Don't think of it as dying *from* COVID-19 think of it as dying *for* MONEY-20

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yes that’s what I’m saying.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jordan7hm posted:

They aren’t all idiots, they know drat well what they’re doing.

No they don't, because if they actually cared about the long-term good fortune of the economy they would work harder to eliminate this loving pandemic.

We will not have safety nor will we have a strong economy until COVID goes away.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Long term health of the economy is not a priority for people who are in power for 4 year stretches, maybe a decade at best.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 9, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Walmart Canada is ending their price matching program due to a "decrease in usage." Is that code for "we killed all of our competition so we don't need to match anyone"?

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
I doubt it. Why would they end the program if no one uses it? It doesn't cost them anything.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I still feel a little surprised whenever I remember that it was a conservative government that pushed for the Red River Floodway to be built. That's certainly a case of paying a lot upfront to save orders of magnitude more in the decades to come.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

If O'Toole does die of the rona, is Scheer gonnw loving try to run again for leader? I bet the poo poo weasel will try

https://i.imgur.com/B1x1w5K.mp4

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

quote:

Use your brain PT6A and think about how our style of government does not reward long term planning when your successor (usually from other other team) is going to undo your 10+ year plan at he stroke of a pen. There is no long term planning in government because we don't have governments that last long term. What incentive do you have to spend a bunch of political capital on issues that you'll never see the benefit from?

This is why we're in a little trouble with that climate change thing. It's the perfect combo of requiring a supernational response AND having a long enough time horizon to realize the effects of good climate policy when it won't be that obvious right from the get go.

I get that, but unfucking the pandemic and getting the economy going again (to the point where people actually feel confident about participating, not just having the legal ability to participate) is more like a 6-12 month challenge if done right, well within a single mandate, and they can't even be bothered to look beyond the next 2-4 weeks and do that much.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 9, 2022

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Stop, I can only get so hard. Harper losing to a Trudeau twice is my secret fetish. My wife has sometimes encouraged it.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I wonder if we will get our $2/hour raises back since everything is going to poo poo again and Im still considered "essential".

Aliens will land here and bring about world peace before that ever comes back. :(

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Arcsquad12 posted:

So Walmart Canada is ending their price matching program due to a "decrease in usage." Is that code for "we killed all of our competition so we don't need to match anyone"?

I doubt it. It was more likely them looking at how much it was used and finding out that in most cases it was a pain in the rear end and not worth it. I work where they have a price matching policy and you have so many people going “I want to match this” and it’s usually something similar but not the same product and you have to spend a bunch of time explaining why it doesn’t work that way.

So if they’re doing that at regular check out tills, I can 100% see them deciding the headache isn’t worth it and the customer loyalty it builds is pretty much nothing.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Arcsquad12 posted:

because I don't want to call people "loving stupid" anymore, I have started referring to the kinds of people that push the "herd immunity" argument and other dreck as "aggressively ignorant". However, for the politicians (especially of the Conservative ilk) I describe them as maliciously ignorant, sometimes with huge scare quotes around ignorant, even more so after that lovely report about how Trump has known how bad covid is since February

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aces High posted:

because I don't want to call people "loving stupid" anymore, I have started referring to the kinds of people that push the "herd immunity" argument and other dreck as "aggressively ignorant". However, for the politicians (especially of the Conservative ilk) I describe them as maliciously ignorant, sometimes with huge scare quotes around ignorant, even more so after that lovely report about how Trump has known how bad covid is since February

Really at this point accusing them of ignorance is being far too generous. This is a deliberate calculation they made that thousands of deaths are a sacrifice they are willing to make to keep the stock market happy.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

I searched this thread, and double checked for a week or two after the publishing date, and I don't think this article about the shooter in Halifax ever got posted.

https://www.halifaxexaminer.ca/featured/february-12-was-a-strange-day-for-the-man-who-two-months-later-would-murder-22-people/

quote:

Trying to get any information out of the RCMP has always been an exercise in futility, but nowadays it has become almost comical. For example, recently I sent the RCMP spokesperson in Nova Scotia, Corporal Jennifer Clarke, an email requesting information about the number on the fake police car that GW was driving during the rampage. The number was 28B11.

Here’s what I wrote: “Jennifer: I have one question only. Is there a detachment in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick that uses the detachment number 28 on its patrol vehicles? If so, which ones might they be?”

She replied: “I assume you are inquiring in relation to the gunman’s vehicle. The car unit number used by the gunman on the mock RCMP vehicle is fictitious, 28B11, has never been displayed on any Nova Scotia RCMP vehicle. Thank you, Jen Clarke.”

I retorted: “That’s not my question. Where is 28 is my question, if such a detachment exists.”

Clarke replied: “That is the only response I can provide.”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has their been any news on landlords in Canada being dicks during Covid? My grandma just got told that her landlady sold her old house and is moving into her rental house, so my grandma can get hosed and has to move out by December. My family has already been paying most of my grandma's rent which means that we're on the hook for this and we'll have to find her a new place or move her back out to the family home.

It's Renfrew so it's not exactly a booming housing market and it also makes the eviction poo poo touchy, since everyone knows my grandma and the landlady currently screwing her out of a home.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Is that Renfrew the town, not the county? In Pembroke, it seems like land values are actually increasing. Starting a couple of years ago, actually nice stores and restaurants (besides Ulrichs) have been popping up all over the downtown, which for the entire time I had known the place was mostly derelict.

dillwax
Aug 13, 2020

Arcsquad12 posted:

Has their been any news on landlords in Canada being dicks during Covid? My grandma just got told that her landlady sold her old house and is moving into her rental house, so my grandma can get hosed and has to move out by December. My family has already been paying most of my grandma's rent which means that we're on the hook for this and we'll have to find her a new place or move her back out to the family home.

It's Renfrew so it's not exactly a booming housing market and it also makes the eviction poo poo touchy, since everyone knows my grandma and the landlady currently screwing her out of a home.

If this is Renfrew, the Vancouver neighbourhood, you should get in contact with the Vancouver Tenants Union.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Renfrew the town. My grandma lives in the townhouses that went up behind the no frills near the highway. I'm just annoyed because we were already paying most of her rent which means that the onus is on us to find her a new place to live while landlady downsizes and leaves us hanging to find a new home for grandma. poo poo rolls downhill so we're on the hook because covid hurts the poor landlord.

It's touchy because I'm actually friends with the landlady's grandkids. Tricky to go and say "your grandmother is an rear end in a top hat for tossing my grandma out in the middle of a pandemic."

Edit: wow Ontario really sucks for tenants in this situation. Tenants getting kicked out so the landlord gets the unit for petsonal use are entitled to a whopping one month's rent or the offer of another unit owned by the landlord.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 21, 2020

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Yah, landlord personal use is really hard to do anything about, if it's legit.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Until 2017 they didn't need to give you anything. I know because I got kicked out for that reason a month before it came into effect.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It gets better. Apparently the landlord is only moving into the smaller unit for six months before she sells it, too. The whole thing is so she divests herself of her current property and sells everything at a profit before finding something else, even if it means throwing out a tenant shes had for 16 years.

loving vultures.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Arcsquad12 posted:

It gets better. Apparently the landlord is only moving into the smaller unit for six months before she sells it, too. The whole thing is so she divests herself of her current property and sells everything at a profit before finding something else, even if it means throwing out a tenant shes had for 16 years.

loving vultures.

I think you have a case with the LTB for this - IIRC they have some protections around sketchy "personal use" claims

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Definitely take it to the LTB and talk to someone at a local legal clinic if you have one, but I think that's covered by personal use, since what Arcsquad is describing is the landlord's personal use of the property. The landlord isn't evicting the tenant to re-rent at a higher price, they're evicting them so they can move in because they're selling off their properties.

It sucks, but I wouldn't call it sketchy.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The person who lives in the unit has to stay there for at least a year, or you can go to the LTB and get rent times the amount of months they left in advance of a year. This is also part of the changes in 2017.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah my grandma gets tossed end of November, landlord moves in, lives there for six months (until june) and then sells as a personal residence.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Arcsquad12 posted:

loving vultures.

Yeah, that's illegal.
https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/06r17#BK67

Section 48 of the Residential Tenancies Act states that eviction for personal use requires that they live in it for at least one year. You can see also the "good faith" part of that clause. She is obviously using "personal use" as a pretense to take back control of the property so she can sell it which is certainly not a good faith termination of the tenancy.

You can probably do something about this. At the very least keep an eye on what she does after the eviction because if she really does sell it after 6 months and you have good proof that was always her intention you can most likely get additional compensation from her.

Fidelitious fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 21, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If they told you in writing that they were moving out in 6 months, take them to the LTB before eviction and they might be able to stop it. You don't need a lawyer for the LTB but it is a good idea to at least have a real estate agent or paralegal.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, if she told you you can do something about it, although you have to hope they take her (grandma) word for it.

If she told you, she's actually pretty dumb because it's one of those tenant laws that are in practice never applied because tenants rarely go check on their old building to see if everything is legit.

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I think the white collar thing is the key to this. The recession is felt very differently depending on the sector you're in; personally I'm not affected at all beyond working from my house instead of the office. Combined with ultra low interest rates again, and the well-founded assumption that governments everywhere will do everything in their power to prop up real estate values, the only reason I'm not looking for a place to buy is that I have one I like.

Yep. Just bought in Toronto because my partner and I are both working from home and 6 months of this in a 1 bedroom duplex apartment hasn't been great. Doing the same in a condo would have been worse. A lot of folks appear to either be doing this or loving off outside of the city. I'm not terribly upset at what we're paying versus what we got but in the general area we were looking (Caledonia and Rogers) we saw a lot of mediocre houses go for stupid amounts. Our rate is 1.67 which I can't even believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

xtal posted:

If they told you in writing that they were moving out in 6 months, take them to the LTB before eviction and they might be able to stop it. You don't need a lawyer for the LTB but it is a good idea to at least have a real estate agent or paralegal.

I checked with my mom and she said that it was a firm six months, which leads me to believe that it was written down somewhere, and having those words in writing would definitely help more than a "he said she said" situation.

Update: apparently the eviction was called over the phone so thats already BS, but no word on written documentation for the six month figure. My dad isn't taking this well and is pretty much shut down in a nonfunctional ball of rage but my aunt is on the attack and is hunting down legal precedents. Theyre looking at a new house on Thursday but I don't think we're going to let this slide. The landlord just sold their house to move into the smaller house, so it's not like they're hurting for cash if we try to take them to court for violating the tenants act.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 21, 2020