Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Djokovic beat Federer at Wimbledon last month in the longest final in tournament history. It was a really good match and you should watch it. Current slam totals: Federer 20, Nadal 18, Djokovic 16.

On the women's side, Simona Halep bitchslapped Serena Williams in under an hour to win her 2nd slam. Serena looked slow and old and turns 38 in a month. You should watch that one too for the lulz. Naomi Osaka is seeded 1 but she's been kinda poo poo since winning the Australian Open.

http://www.usopen.org/index.html

TV coverage is on ESPN/ESPN2/WatchESPN. The US Open also has complete radio coverage available on their website and app.

Draws

Top 8 Men's Betting Favorites
Novak Djokovic 11/10
Rafael Nadal 7/2
Roger Federer 6/1
Daniil Medvedev 12/1
Alexander Zverev 20/1
Dominic Thiem 25/1
Marin Cilic 25/1
Stefanos Tsitsipas 25/1

Top 8 Women's Betting Favorites
Serena Williams 7/2
Simona Halep 7/1
Naomi Osaka 8/1
Ashleigh Barty 9/1
Bianca Andreescu 14/1
Karolina Pliskova 14/1
Madison Keys 14/1
Petra Kvitova 14/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Whoops if a mod wants to put the EVENT tag on the thread, that would be swell.

Also Serena is playing Sharapova at 7pm Serena is gonna wipe the floor with her.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

The Althena tribute is what 20+ years too late? loving terrible.

Maria is going to get trashed.

e: the music session was unnecessary.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 27, 2019

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah the opening night music bullshit is always that, bullshit.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Somewhere in an alternate universe, relative unknown Rofer Gederer is causing first-round trouble for the the world #3 Nadal.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Today was a bloodbath for the men. I’d have more sympathy for the crowd who wants the Big 3 out if everyone didn’t poo poo the bed constantly

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
Federer down his first set so I assume he'll win the whole thing

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Man Federer's played like trash so far.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Taylor Townsend taking Halep out would be pretty good

Edit: Aw Yiss

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 29, 2019

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Wearing clothes the same bright yellow color as the ball should probably be made illegal. It’s hard to imagine not being at an advantage wearing a yellow shirt, yellow wristbands, yellow hat, and yellow shoes, not to mention yellow racquet strings. The brain just has to work that much harder to pick the ball out.

It’ll never happen though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Djokovic on the ropes while Federer sails cleanly through... justice in this year's Open?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Oh I was about to joke how when Djoko was younger he would just quit but then he did.

Ding dong the witch is dead.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Gorgeous hit 3 DFs serving for the match in the 2nd set. Thought that would melt her brain entirely but early 3rd set it’s still a close one :jerky::jerky:

EDIT: Osaka out, stadium sooo quiet. Bencic again great vs top 10 players. Both #1 out in R16

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 2, 2019

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My Wimbledon thread title said Roger would win and he didn’t, and now again with Novak. I have superpowers.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Pretty impressed with Schwartzman, even if Zverev wasn't having a great day today. Pity he's going to get creamed by Nadal next round.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I always liked Medvedev just because he looks like a humble and friendly guy, but evidently he’s a huge rear end in a top hat and probably a racist. Still, the crowd loves a heel, so it’ll be fun watching all of New York strenuously rooting against him when he plays Wawrinka

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Always nice to see my favorite winner type: dead on sprint to hit the ball around the net

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1168712142251413505?s=20

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Tacier posted:

I always liked Medvedev just because he looks like a humble and friendly guy, but evidently he’s a huge rear end in a top hat and probably a racist. Still, the crowd loves a heel, so it’ll be fun watching all of New York strenuously rooting against him when he plays Wawrinka

oh come on, that was just a perfect heel preformance

love his style of play, he is definetly diffirentiating himself from all this baseline, boom boom, epo flavored non-sensw that has been happening in the last decade

and why is probably a racist now?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

vivisectvnv posted:

oh come on, that was just a perfect heel preformance

love his style of play, he is definetly diffirentiating himself from all this baseline, boom boom, epo flavored non-sensw that has been happening in the last decade

and why is probably a racist now?

During a match in Georgia he implied that the black umpire was making favorable calls for Donald Young, who is also black, asserting without evidence that he knew they were friends.

Of course Lleyton Hewitt did the same thing in an even more overtly racist way and people still like him.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Why do people / the crowd hate medvedev making him the villain?
Is it just the us open crowd? Because those people suck anyway if you remember back to last year's final.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/DaniilMedwed/status/1169036193952083969

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Federer no

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Fed is not looking good right now

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Federer's played poo poo in all his night matches.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Man Federer has wavered between good and poo poo all match. He's in the super poo poo mode right now and just looks lost about how to beat a dude who didn't look like he could win a match all summer.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Federer please don't lose to the player known as "Baby Fed"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If this goes to 5 it's going to be old man Federer tiring out isn't it

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Dimitrov’s level needs to drop at some point for Federer to have a chance. That was a huge comeback from 0-40 and also failing to convert like 8 break points the game prior.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is this Federer mindgames trying to ice his opponent?

Is he getting treatment?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Federer is done :(

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I thought he was playing mind games with the medical timeout but it looks like it was for real. Old man needs some icy hot all the time now I guess.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ugh.

Out of the players remaining I would be most fine with Monfils winning it all

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Yea gotta hope for a Dimitrov/Monfils final now. Anyone but Nadal would be great but I feel like he's just gonna coast to the title now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/FortyDeuceTwits/status/1169095744516755468

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ugh.

Out of the players remaining I would be most fine with Monfils winning it all

gently caress Monfils, he's always been the Canadian destroyer, I can't remember how many times I saw him beat Roanic, now he beats Shapo :(

It's all about Bianca Andreescu :canada:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Go bianca

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lol the announcers just told Monfils girlfriend to go back to the locker room and put the head phones on to conserve her energy after her match last night, and doing 'maybe 20 fist pumps' after that last point.

Keep it classy ESPN

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

This might be the best worst match I've ever watched.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

ESPN: well it's well known that Nadal's favorite vacation spot is the the Bahamas [trying to drum up hurricane relief]

No that's relatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hate tennis.