Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

angerbeet posted:

I'm just staring the episode and I don't care about spoilers so whatever, but whoever is the foley artist on this needs his cocaine taken away. This smoothie bar scene is a mess. A big fat mess!

Lol the Foley operator is the first "present" day victim in a fourth wall breaking twist. You're in luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Well, that was an episode of a show. I know the first episode is always pretty much just set dressing so we'll see where this goes (and which amazing turns it takes!!!) but I assume it boils down to the camp owner killing the people who don't follows the rules but then Mr. Jingles kills her because he's REAL and then the witches from Coven show up with Lady Gaga in tow and

well

there's hot dudes at least, at least there's that

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Can’t none of the characters from the other seasons show up because this is taking place 34 years ago?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I thought the hot camp counselor that showed up hitting on Billie Lourds character was the guy who got stabbed during the threesome and they'd be doing a ghosts come back thing again.

I was kinda disappointed when he didn't pull Billie Lourd down underwater or turn into a skeleton or something, that seemed like the perfect time to drop something scary in instead of the murderer watching you schtick.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They made a really big point of not showing the killer's face during and immediately after the camp cabin massacre but were fine with showing the janitor guy's (John Carroll Lynch's character) face immediately

I think someone else is the killer but its not the camp owner.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The opening thru the aerobics class is the best first 10 min of AHS to date, y/y?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Bust Rodd posted:

Can’t none of the characters from the other seasons show up because this is taking place 34 years ago?

Look at you, saying this.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I also think the activities counselor left the message on Xavier's message machine.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

My prediction is that the camp owner is the killer and jingles was framed by her.

Same.

angerbeet posted:

Well, that was an episode of a show. I know the first episode is always pretty much just set dressing so we'll see where this goes (and which amazing turns it takes!!!)

The first episode usually start off good before it goes nutso, with aliens and ufos.

April posted:

I think Murphy is leaning way too hard into the summer camp/slasher cliches, and he's going to go into a completely different direction in a few episodes.

Placing my bet now: 1984 looks like a teen slasher, but it's actually Orwell's 1984, and the kids are part of a closely monitored government experiment. I was thinking along the lines of The Village, where the "killer" is some authority figure in disguise who's supposed to keep the kids from leaving the camp. But I think any kind of government-conspiracy scenario would fit. Ryan Murphy does love his "clever" swerves, and it feels like the name is a big clue. He could've picked any year from the decade or so when slasher movies were super-popular, but 1984 has very different connotations.

Also, a lot of seasons were named for their location, (Roanoke, Murder House, Asylum) or the group of people involved (Coven, Freak Show, Cult). So I feel like if it were just kids at slasher camp, he would have called it Camp or something like that.

He also likes to do a big twist around the 6th episode of each season, and a friend just informed me that this year, the 6th episode is the 100th series episode, so I expect something extra-insane.

Finally, I'm digging it so far (the soundtrack alone is making me very happy), but I keep looking for clues about what's REALLY going on. There's no way it's this simple.

This all sounds on point for anything concerning Ryan Murphy.

I'm fine with anything and everything that isn't in-love sax ghosts, witch hunting incorporated, long drawn out song portions, and long drawn out arcs that basically do nothing for the plot.

Also in the opening, if you play it with subtitles, the characters names are Helen and Eddie.

Maybe this goes off the idea everyone at the camp is a serial killer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWZL_2zlHE8&t=40s
Maybe Brooke wants to keep the skins.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 21, 2019

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have a hunch that either Nightstalker is a delusion or that he's very real and gets serial murdered himself in a twist of irony

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I genuinely hope for a Nightstalker vs Mr. Jingles set up where the camp is just viscously caught in the middle as two serial killers go off trying to one up each other.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
That’s episode 3.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just want them to find a cellar under one of the cabins with the book of the dead. Evil Dead was '81.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bust Rodd posted:

I genuinely hope for a Nightstalker vs Mr. Jingles set up where the camp is just viscously caught in the middle as two serial killers go off trying to one up each other.

Except we know the Night Stalker gets caught at the end of the summer of 1985. So he's not gonna die or get caught in 1984. Which takes some of the tension out of the story if this guy really is the Night Stalker.

I think it's more likely that something is wrong with the girl. She learns about the Night Stalker and then is attacked by the Night Stalker later that same day. She learns about Mr. Jingles and then is attacked by Mr. Jingles later that same day. She's new in town and nobody has known her for more than 2 days, she's been attacked on both days.

Either she's crazy and imagaining the attacks, or there's something fucky/supernatural going on that causes her fears to physically manifest.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

The camp owner being the real killer and framing Mr Jingles is so drat obvious I just can't believe it'll be that simple, hoping there'll be a massive twist half way through and we'll get some tie ins to the previous seasons also.

I'm sticking through it for brunette Emma Roberts whatever happens though

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Facebook Aunt posted:

Except we know the Night Stalker gets caught at the end of the summer of 1985. So he's not gonna die or get caught in 1984. Which takes some of the tension out of the story if this guy really is the Night Stalker.

I think it's more likely that something is wrong with the girl. She learns about the Night Stalker and then is attacked by the Night Stalker later that same day. She learns about Mr. Jingles and then is attacked by Mr. Jingles later that same day. She's new in town and nobody has known her for more than 2 days, she's been attacked on both days.

Either she's crazy and imagaining the attacks, or there's something fucky/supernatural going on that causes her fears to physically manifest.

If she somehow manifests her fears, then that could open up the possibility of a Freddy Kreuger character showing up.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
In 1984, the first teenage mutant ninja turtle comic was made.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Tenzarin posted:

In 1984, the first teenage mutant ninja turtle comic was made.

Go on.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

When they cut to the car driving up to the mental hospital, I started wondering who put in their copy of the original Halloween.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
They literally played knockoff Halloween theme during one of the scenes, I think in the mental hospital.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The lake isn't bottomless and it leads to new york city. The campers will become ninja turtles and battle Jason in new york.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Ghostbusters also came out in 1984, so did Children of the Corn, and Footloose!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Nooooo dancing!

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

TheBizzness posted:

They literally played knockoff Halloween theme during one of the scenes, I think in the mental hospital.

Which is weird, right, cause Halloween is 1978. Is that one of the icons associated with 80s slasher movies?

The series seems to be going for a more Friday the 13th vibe, which makes sense, cuz the first one was 1980.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I just want Elvira to show up now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ojLA2A5gMk

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

stratofarius posted:

Which is weird, right, cause Halloween is 1978. Is that one of the icons associated with 80s slasher movies?

The series seems to be going for a more Friday the 13th vibe, which makes sense, cuz the first one was 1980.

Yeah, Halloween wasn't the first but it codified a lot of traditions the 80s slasher films would use. Plus it has a few sequels in the 80s so Mike Meyers gets lumped in with Freddie and Jason.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I've been wanting Elvira to show up for many years now in pretty much every situation

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, Halloween wasn't the first but it codified a lot of traditions the 80s slasher films would use. Plus it has a few sequels in the 80s so Mike Meyers gets lumped in with Freddie and Jason.

Which is weird, cuz it has such a different vibe when you go back and rewatch it-- at least the 78 one has.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The most notable difference being that Halloween is really good.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

TheBizzness posted:

The most notable difference being that Halloween is really good.

It screened in my college last Halloween and I saw it for the first time ever (and with a packed theater to boot!). It was such a loving experience. When Michael Myers sits up after being supposedly killed, the audience just let out a collective 'oh noooo'. One of my favorite movie experiences.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The asylum scene here was a super homage to Halloween 78.

First episode was ok - after Glow and Stranger Things tho the 80s aesthetic here is a bit plastic. Hopefully they do something interesting here.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Doltos posted:

I've been wanting Elvira to show up for many years now in pretty much every situation

She seems like she'd be a hoot to hang out with, for like, a limited period of time

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

stratofarius posted:

Which is weird, cuz it has such a different vibe when you go back and rewatch it-- at least the 78 one has.

It's the sequels that do it, really. They're terrible and full slasher rather than the more subdued psych-slasher of the original. It's also why the latest works much better since it slides back towards that basis.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

yo this premiere owned bones

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
If you’ve never seen the 1974 Black Christmas I strongly recommend it. Movie loving owns.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Elvira is such a fox. Just google image search Cassandra Peterson.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
O.K. I wasn't expecting that scene to happen.

The heart to heart talk with the Night Stalker

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

DocBubonic posted:

O.K. I wasn't expecting that scene to happen.

AHS.txt

quote:

The heart to heart talk with the Night Stalker

:perfect:

I thought the last episode was pretty standard for the genre except for the very last scene, but I was looking forward for the show going crazy this week. It did not disappoint.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
The combination of long-haired blonde bandanna guy, a reference to Michael J. Fox, and the year 1984 (which is close enough to 1985 when BttF came out) combined with the perpetually dying camp counselor has me thinking: We got some time travel fuckery going on here??

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

So far so good :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Really steering towards Margaret being the actual killer this episode.