Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Some of you might have seen some of my stuff in the pixel art thread, or the hot modrons art thread, but if you haven't, I like to make stuff like this -

and this

and even these

...and over the past few months I've made a whole lot of it. Thanks to professional computer-toucher and fellow goon Gildiss, we're just about ready to officially launch.

What is all this?
We make these -

Retrograde is where I'm hosting all of the pixel art I've created so far - the vast majority of which is completely free to print out and use for whatever kind of game you might be running. We do offer benefits to people who choose to support us on Patreon, and we've currently got 3 Tiers -
  • Mundane (free)
  • +1 ($1/mo)
  • Legendary ($5/mo)

Mundane Membership (Free)
This is our free tier - every unit that's got a is completely free, forever. As new units are added, premium units will work their way down into the Free Tier as well, so check back every now and then to see what's new. Most base models are free, but their variants are tied to the +1 Tier, see below.

+1 Membership ($1/Mo)

Any model marked by a is for +1 Members. Most models have several variants - Slimes come in an array of hues, wolves have different fur, and humanoid models (which have the most variety) have different outfits for various settings - Bandit, Urban, Pirate, Winter, Medium and Heavy Armor are the most typical examples. If you kick us a buck a month, you get access to all of them. Well, exceeeept...

Legendary Membership ($5 or more/mo)
Legendary Members get access to our more specialized units, which are marked with a - Bosses such as Vampire Lords, Liches, Beholders, that kind of thing. I'll admit that at the moment the Legendary roster is a little sparse, but future plans include unit packages for Town/City guards, Greaser Street-gangs, Holiday-themed Bandits/Goblics/Orcs (pumpkins, santa hats, etc), and more of that kind of thing, as well as specialized versions of common units. Legendary units will also feature variations as well.

Couldn't I just donate $5 once, print out the whole catalog, and cancel my membership?
If you wanted to that's certainly an option, but we're going to keep on expanding our catalog. Each month should feature at least 12 new units, so we hope that you'd feel pretty good about continued support. Plus, we're going to have polls for our +1 and Legendary members to direct which units they'd like to see added in the future, so if there's one thing in particular that we're lacking lack, let us know!

Future Additions
Like I said, we're still working on the website, and there's a few additions that should be up shortly.
  • GM Sheet print option - An additional sheet with the pictures of the units you printed with blank stat blocks for each, for combat management.
  • Addition unit variations, as inspiration dictates
  • Promo Codes / Special Offers

Anyway, I'll have some Promo codes available for Goons in the near future, but that section is still a WIP. If there's any feedback or suggestions for the site, let me know! If you like what we do, I'd appreciate it if you'd spread the word however you do - FB, Twitter, etc, that kind of thing. Every little bit helps!

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

McKilligan posted:

Future Additions
Like I said, we're still working on the website, and there's a few additions that should be up shortly.
  • GM Sheet print option - An additional sheet with the pictures of the units you printed with blank stat blocks for each, for combat management.

This is live on the site now.

Remember to reduce your printers margins so everything can fit nicely.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I'm really confused what this is for. You say minis but then it seems to be pixel art. Are they standees?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Mojo Jojo posted:

I'm really confused what this is for. You say minis but then it seems to be pixel art. Are they standees?

Yeah, there's a print option in the top left of the page. Once you place a unit on the stage, the print button is enabled.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 29, 2019

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
The Promo Code section is functional!

So, here's out inaugural code giveaway -

Enter GOOD BOYS for a selection of dogs with backpacks

and GET STITCHES for all your undead leadership position needs.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Where are the figures? This is all I see:

I suspect that the clickable stuff is off the edge of the window but I can't make my browser window any bigger without the image extending onto damaged parts of my screen.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I suspect that the clickable stuff is off the edge of the window but I can't make my browser window any bigger without the image extending onto damaged parts of my screen.

Are you on Mobile or tablet? Below certain resolutions it defaults to the mobile version- it works best on PC right now, we're still working on a mobile version.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

:rip: Sorry dude.
I would suggest making the window max size and then dragging it over into the viewable regions.

The controls are on the left side of the window.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I have added in tablet and mobile styling for the site now, so it should be usable for your specific case as well.

We also added in Cultist units!

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Gildiss posted:

We also added in Cultist units!

Speaking of -

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This looks rad and while I think my wife would disown me for printing a bunch of standees when I've got piles of minis and paint in a closet I'm definitely going to suggest this to some friends.

Do you ever stream your creation process? I know a lot of artists have Twitch streams and stuff but I'd love to see your workflow making high-detailed pixel art like this.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

food court bailiff posted:

This looks rad and while I think my wife would disown me for printing a bunch of standees when I've got piles of minis and paint in a closet I'm definitely going to suggest this to some friends.

Do you ever stream your creation process? I know a lot of artists have Twitch streams and stuff but I'd love to see your workflow making high-detailed pixel art like this.

I do not (yet!) but I plan to start experimenting with that kind of thing in the near future - I haven't ever messed with streaming stuff before, but I'm sure I can figure it out. If the mood strikes, I can knock out a mini in about an hour or two, so seems like it would be a good fit. I'll do some cursory research and see what programs I'll need.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

'Tis the season, y'all. The spoopy season! Halloween set is live on the site, for those inclined to use 'em.

Edit - some kind soul went and wrote up a whole boss thingy - CR23, so hang on to your butts

https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/487404-avatar-of-the-eternal-autumn

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 27, 2019

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
New units - Yellow Musk Creeper

And a quick and dirty update from a twitter request - bashed some existing spiders and pumpkins together to make Attack-O-Lanterns

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

New Summons section is up! A little sparse at the moment, but as with all things, we're working on it. Elementals should be coming soon.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Diggin' the elemental plane of sweet rides.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
New default Spiritual Weapon Incarnations! I've got a bunch of different palette swapped colors as well on the site. I'll probably add some more as inspiration strikes, the stein is a personal favorite.

Elementals! I'm gonna make them in small, medium, and large. Only got a small heatboi at the moment, tho.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Nov 13, 2019

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Here's a peak at our upcoming Holiday figures -

I'm still spitballing names, but I'm thinking Father Hoarbor, and the Winter King.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Winter stage is now live! Everything in it's season.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
This isn't THE Christmas update, but it is A Christmas update!

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 17, 2019

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Now I have no reason to buy these (unfortunately!) but I want you to know that I love them very very much.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Dog Kisser posted:

Now I have no reason to buy these (unfortunately!) but I want you to know that I love them very very much.

Well, the good news is the christmas stuff is all free! At least until the holidays are over, then they go in the Legendary patron vault.

EDIT- Speaking of, finished the mounted minions for Farfergris today -

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 20, 2019

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
The Christmas update is almost ready to go - only a few small touches remain, but the bulk of the units are good to go! Everything will be up on the site Dec. 1st

Edit Finished the Cover for the upcoming PDF with statblocks, made by the delightful DM Dalliance -

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 28, 2019

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
The full Christmas update is live!

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
A couple new units for a new update, hopefully out later this month - honestly I think these are some of my best work yet, the cadaver collector is a particular favorite.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 16, 2019

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Bumping this because I know you've been working on some new Mechs to use for Lancer and I'm extremely excited about them.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

S.J. posted:

Bumping this because I know you've been working on some new Mechs to use for Lancer and I'm extremely excited about them.

If everything goes smoothly, the customizer should be live in a few days! We've got the bulk of the work finished and are just tweaking and adding a few bells and whistles.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

McKilligan posted:

If everything goes smoothly, the customizer should be live in a few days! We've got the bulk of the work finished and are just tweaking and adding a few bells and whistles.

gently caress yeah. I just picked up my copy of Lancer a week ago and I'm really excited to play, and these things will be a huge help. You rock.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I don't know who came up with the name Farfestgris, but said person deserves a cookie and a huge, Scandinavian grin :D

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

S.J. posted:

gently caress yeah. I just picked up my copy of Lancer a week ago and I'm really excited to play, and these things will be a huge help. You rock.

Once version 1.0 of the Customizer is live, I'm going to use it as a proof of concept and reach out to Massif, see if we can get an official/unofficial endorsement thing going. If so, I'm planning to go ahead and make all the main PC mechs, all nice and modular so you can swap parts around between mechs of the same size category.

If not, we'll keep on adding to it and expanding options, it'll just have to be Lancer-compatible instead of Lancer-approved. Still working out how on Earth I'm going to fit in quad arms, though. That'll be tricky.

Also, nearly done with weapons (for now)

inscrutable horse posted:

I don't know who came up with the name Farfestgris, but said person deserves a cookie and a huge, Scandinavian grin :D

I think that was someone in the Hot Modrons thread, if memory serves

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 8, 2020

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Seeing as how happy they were to pick up comp/con, I think you've got a good chance.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
MECH CUSTOMIZER IS LIVE

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Holy poo poo, this rules incredibly hard.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Holy gently caress that's good my dude.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just finished adding in some basic colors you can apply to the mechs now, part by part.

We use a service worker for the site, so to see the updates visit the site, close the tab, and then go back and the updates should be there.

E: Also, I put in an alternate style for the Mech category if you click the green orb next to MECHS. Couldn't resist.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
More Lancer Mechs! These boys aren't nearly as customizable as the SP-1 generator, but I'm working off of the art as presented in the core book, and the designs are remarkably varied so making the parts cross functional is...well, not impossible but hard enough to not really be worth the effort.

I am planning to make custom skins for each of them eventually, but I want the stock standard versions live first. So, here's the Blackbeard, Drake, Nelson, and Tortuga, with the rest of the IPS-N core catalog to follow shortly.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

The full IPS-N lineup is online and ready for manufacture! We're starting on Horus next, will be pumping them out just as fast as we can.

Edit - Also, we did a little collaboration with Rybonator on youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G1sq7v-oVA

Double Edit - Updated our color system! Now with hot-rear end slider action, just select 'Custom' from the color drop-down menu!

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 3, 2020

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Update Schedule Announcement

Until now (Feb 25, 2020) content on Retrograde has been released on a rolling basis, but starting this March we'll be switching to a bimonthly update schedule. Content updates will be released in larger batches on the 1st and 15th of each month.

There's two main reasons - first, this will give us a little more time to iron out any bugs - the Lancer units require some fine-tuning to get all the parts overlapping and displaying correctly. Secondly this will also encourage our patrons to renew their membership at the beginning of each month to get the new goods. Admittedly it's a little cynical, but moo hoo ha ha, gotta get that money.

We're still producing new content at the same rate (as fast as we can!). The only change will be the release schedule, so each update will feature multiple new units instead of one by one every couple of days.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Bimonthly update, go! A few days early, but all this will be up on the 15th.

Edit - hooo boy gotta do something about that aliasing, that's giving me a headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Little preview of the next update: