Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/thomasorus/status/1253439918451363840?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Control is $20 on the epic store currently, using their infinite-use $10 off coupon. I think this also means that the season pass is down to $15, but I already own it so I can't check

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Control is $20 on the epic store currently, using their infinite-use $10 off coupon. I think this also means that the season pass is down to $15, but I already own it so I can't check

Good luck getting to the EGS right now however. With GTAV being free everything is showing a 403 for me since about an hour ago.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Just bought it for £9.99 with the voucher, but Epic's regional pricing seems to favour britbucks

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally gave the game a shot and it's somewhat interesting but the pistol shooting is killing my finger (RSI). Do you ever get a full auto gun? I've got the throw ability.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pretty soon you get Spin which is like an SMG and Pierce which is charged and released like a Sniper rifle.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Oh, they've officially confirmed that yes, the thing that everyone immediately figured out about the last DLC is in fact what that DLC will be about.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Stroth posted:

Oh, they've officially confirmed that yes, the thing that everyone immediately figured out about the last DLC is in fact what that DLC will be about.

And what is that?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cvnvcnv posted:

And what is that?

Alan Wake

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Yeah, I had seen mention of it while searching for news and the Hidden Area in Containment was obviously more than an Easter Egg, I just don't know anything about that game. Anyone have of a good source to CliffsNotes me on the events, themes, and lore?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

cvnvcnv posted:

Yeah, I had seen mention of it while searching for news and the Hidden Area in Containment was obviously more than an Easter Egg, I just don't know anything about that game. Anyone have of a good source to CliffsNotes me on the events, themes, and lore?

Long story short: Alan Wake is writers writing about writing :v:

Slightly less short: Alan Wake is a story about... Alan Wake, a writer who's struggling on his next project. He and his wife decide to travel to the remote town of Bright Falls, where they rent a cabin on the lake, so Wake can have some time to reflect and work on his novel. However, something happens, Wake is knocked into the water, and he wakes up a week later with the cabin and his wife both missing. To make matters worse, he quickly finds himself pursued by both the police and FBI for her disappearance, as well as various deranged individuals cloaked in darkness who can only be repelled by bright lights. And to cap everything off, Wake starts finding various pages of a manuscript clearly authored by him that he doesn't remember writing, that describes the events he's undergoing or about to undergo in detail.

Turns out, (And only read this portion if you don't plan on playing the game, which itself is p. good and I recommend), that deep within the lake, there exists an evil presence with the power to both possess people and turn fiction into reality. Over the years, this presence has lured in artists, musicians, poets, and now Wake with its power in an attempt to escape its confines and spread its influence across the worldand one of its previous victims, the poet Thomas Zane, was forced to write himself out of reality to prevent the entity from escaping. Trapped by the entity during the week he was "unconscious" and with his wife held hostage, Wake decided to write a novel that would subsequently come true, word for word, and place himself as the protagonist so he could escape, free his wife, and prevent the entity from breaking out. While he was partially successful and succeeded in saving his wife and stopping the entity, Wake himself ended the game trapped inside the cabin within a netherworld deep inside the lake. (Though he was eventually able to (maybe) escape in the standalone DLC American Nightmare).

If you want to go in deeper but don't want to play the game, CJacobs had a decent LP of it not too long ago that may be worth looking at.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
is there a release date for AlanWakeEvent

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

site posted:

is there a release date for AlanWakeEvent

"mid 2020"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Alan Wake is about the power of art and fiction and the importance of making the right choices for batteries and cell phone service

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Alan Wake also has a music section that rivals the Ashtray Maze.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Rangers could learn a lot from Barry. There's a man who wouldn't be caught dead without an HRA, a backup HRA, and probably some sort of backup-backup he cobbled together out of christmas lights.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

wiegieman posted:

and probably some sort of backup-backup he cobbled together out of christmas lights.

https://youtu.be/Iw3G80bplTg

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Aww, that clip cuts out the bit where the other party has a Trace Buster Buster Buster.

The Big Hit was a real dumb movie, but I love it because Avry Brooks plays one of the heavies.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 28, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

its dumb as poo poo on purpose tho which makes it so good

STRAIGHT JACKIN BABY

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde
Game was incredible. While I was not in love with the combat, it was easy enough to kinda plow through and just chunk rocks at everything. Is there anywhere I could look to see if I missed any plots beats? Love the world they crafted, going to watch the Alan Wake LP soon.

Edit: Is there anywhere to get the games soundtrack, I want that 80s movie music sound in my life?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

haveblue posted:

Alan Wake is about the power of art and fiction and the importance of making the right choices for batteries and cell phone service
I saw the big in-game Verizon ad and got a big goofy grin.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

Trace Buster Buster Buster.

TK-42-1 posted:

STRAIGHT JACKIN BABY

These sexually frustrated degenerate losers big-brained hung studs mean businesses!

GenSpecific posted:

I want that 80s movie music sound in my life?

Jesse Faden starring in "Swift Platform" :swoon:

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

cvnvcnv posted:

Jesse Faden starring in "Swift Platform" :swoon:

Hated the checkpoints in that mission, LOVED everything else.

Equip the Asynchronous Suit for maximum 80's

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Magil of Shadow posted:

Hated the checkpoints in that mission, LOVED everything else.

Equip the Asynchronous Suit for maximum 80's

Didn't they patch the checkpoints?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
OK, so I got this a while back and basically rage-quit after a few hours because of constant graphical bugs and poo poo FPS in spite of having a decent system (i5-6600k @ 4.4, 16 GB, GTX 1070) and the settings turned way down.

Fast forward to today, and after reinstalling it on a whim with updated drivers now it runs perfectly in DX11 mode with the nvidia experience suggested settings. :iiam:

So before I start this For Real This Time are there any non-spoiler tips new players should know about? I don't care about doing anything perfectly, I just want to avoid doing anything egregiously dumb gameplay-wise.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Its pretty straightforward, there aren't any real ways to screw yourself progression-wise.

The best use of Shield is to run out of cover, collect health, and run back into cover.

Ignore the bureau alerts at first. If you want to go for 100% achievements start doing them late in the game.

There is no penalty for abandoning board countermeasures so keep throwing them out and picking new ones until they're all relevant to what you're doing story-wise.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

sean10mm posted:

OK, so I got this a while back and basically rage-quit after a few hours because of constant graphical bugs and poo poo FPS in spite of having a decent system (i5-6600k @ 4.4, 16 GB, GTX 1070) and the settings turned way down.

Fast forward to today, and after reinstalling it on a whim with updated drivers now it runs perfectly in DX11 mode with the nvidia experience suggested settings. :iiam:

So before I start this For Real This Time are there any non-spoiler tips new players should know about? I don't care about doing anything perfectly, I just want to avoid doing anything egregiously dumb gameplay-wise.

If you get stuck somewhere, don't keep throwing yourself at it. Go somewhere else and or upgrade something.
I've gone from 40k credits to 1500 a couple times before realizing.
All because i threw myself at something for 30m and kept dying before upgrading. (gently caress you fridge/Essej)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Shortly after completing My Brother's Keeper and getting the Levitate power, you get a Level 6 Clearance card. At that point you should be able to visit every single previously inaccessible area of the game except for the mold rooms, which you can do by completing the sidequests in the Central Research basement.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

sean10mm posted:

Do not be yesterday's grouse son. Do not read any spoilers regarding a late game area that is well liked by players.

I mean, the least a director can do is keep the lights on.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you want to max out launch and energy first

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Health and launch are the most essential upgrades imo

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
health is good, but i did a replay last week and found myself burning through energy super quick in the early game cuz of launch spam. maybe the better way to go would be launch and energy in early game, add in some health once the higher tier enemies show up

site fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 10, 2020

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

definitely prioritized energy and launch upgrades, and kept a health personal mod on to compensate. Launch just becomes a Delete button lol, it's absurdly strong when you're facing a bunch of mobs and if you line up your shots right you can end fights without taking much/any damage. If/when I get back to the game I'll consider holding off on Launch since it's so OP it can be a crutch

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I think it might be possible to just not pick up a power or two, since they're in areas you're not required to visit. So keep an eye out for those.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

In combat it helps to get into the flow of spending your energy, then shooting your bullets while your energy regens, then using your energy as your bullets regen, you have always been here, the only child.
A copy of a copy of a copy.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

sean10mm posted:

Early in the game, you unlock the power Launch. Right afterwards, you fight the first boss, who is immune to Launch. You're supposed to shoot him a bunch. It's a very strange design decision.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
AWE when

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Krazyface posted:

Early in the game, you unlock the power Launch. Right afterwards, you fight the first boss, who is immune to Launch. You're supposed to shoot him a bunch. It's a very strange design decision.

He's not immune to launch. Like every other flyer in the game, you need to hit him with Launch twice in quick succession. He'll evade the first but get clobbered by the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

He's not immune to launch. Like every other flyer in the game, you need to hit him with Launch twice in quick succession. He'll evade the first but get clobbered by the second.

Yeah, I just ran around spamming launch at him and that took him down pretty quickly.