Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:orb:ing it seemed to do so much more damage than any of my guns, I can't imagine living long enough to take it down that way. Normally just plink a few shots at it in the downtime between it firing more orbs at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for some reason i never knew you could throw the orbs at it

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Captain Hygiene posted:

:orb:ing it seemed to do so much more damage than any of my guns, I can't imagine living long enough to take it down that way. Normally just plink a few shots at it in the downtime between it firing more orbs at you.

What would generally happen is I would be firing lots of bullets, which would destroy the first orb (or I would dodge or ignore it idk, my memory sucks), then I would grab the second orb and of course immediately throw it...right into the third orb. So basically the orbs were never a threat but also I never fell into the right rhythm to actually hit the boss with them.

Also the eye is the largest, easiest to hit target in the world so basically as long as Former wasn't in full freak out stabby mode I could be sapping his health non-stop.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Johnny Joestar posted:

for some reason i never knew you could throw the orbs at it

My first instinct to encountering literally any object in this game was to try to launch it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Bust Rodd posted:

My first instinct to encountering literally any object in this game was to try to launch it.

oddly i tried a few times but i guess i was too far out of range or something and i would end up grabbing debris instead so i ended up destroying a lot of them with that poo poo and did most of my damage with pierce shots and whatever

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, it took me a couple tries to realize it. There's a delay after you first see them before you can actually grab and launch them, iirc.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I always just shot the orbs and launched bits of the arena into Former's eye and then filled it with bullets when my energy was low.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Everything aside from chunks of rubble Jesse pulls out of the environment gets highlighted so I noticed that Former's orbs could be thrown back pretty quickly into the fight.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

haveblue posted:

Surge with a blast radius mod works great against fliers, but then you lose all your health because you accidentally stuck one on a wall 30 feet away

I fully upgraded mine and slapped a few explosion range multiplier mods on it. I have now successfully killed myself more times than the Hiss has killed me and I'm never going to stop.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay I went ahead and played Alan wake. It was...alright, I guess. The high points were the night springs shows and Barry in eps 4 and 5. I might have to wait to play American nightmare cuz I'm pretty over it already

Also it's dumb to hide all those extra pages behind ultra hard difficulty or whatever cuz I'm never gonna play it again

site fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 1, 2020

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

A good instinct.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

site posted:

Okay I went ahead and played Alan wake. It was...alright, I guess. The high points were the night springs shows and Barry in eps 4 and 5. I might have to wait to play American nightmare cuz I'm pretty over it already

Also it's dumb to hide all those extra pages behind ultra hard difficulty or whatever cuz I'm never gonna play it again

American Nightmare is p much a non-canon(?) arcade version of AW’s combat, you’re not missing anything.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ah okay, i was not a fan of the combat at all so that saves me some trouble. ty

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Hey guys, I'm having a weird technical issue and wass wondering if anyone might know of a way to fix it: I'm trying to fight the Anchor boss, but every time the fight starts and it winds up what I assume is its first attack, the game crashes. I looked for fixed and there were a bunch suggesting lowering resolution, turning off sounds, playing in compatibility mode and so on and so forth, bubt none of them really worked. Is there something else I'm missing that I could try? Would really like to not leave this boss unfinished.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

site posted:

You should at least watch the videos with Mr. Scratch. He's probably Remedy's best villain outside of the Max Payne series.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

site posted:

Fwiw, I didn't really care for the combat in Alan Wake, but American Nightmare feels a lot better. I actually feel like I'm in control of Alan's movements and can actually make him do what I want.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, i'm fine with alan wake's combat but american nightmare is them after having optimizing things a lot better and tightening up the combat a lot. it's like a precursor to control, in a sense.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/8alton8/status/1311578880675729408?s=21

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Fwiw, I didn't really care for the combat in Alan Wake, but American Nightmare feels a lot better. I actually feel like I'm in control of Alan's movements and can actually make him do what I want.

Oh I didn't have any problem controlling him I just didn't find the hold down flashlight on guys until you can shoot them loop fun

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly the fact that the Alan Wake DLC kind of poo poo all over Control's everything in favor of making Alan Wake More Important sits pretty sourly with me. "Alan Wake exists in the same universe" is a lot different than "Alan Wake is the clear protagonist of that universe"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Same but also after playing wake i feel that even more because it definitely wasn't good enough to warrant doing so

But I guess this would have been all planned out before control was even released and they probably didn't expect it to be such a hit on its own

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think i took that reading away from it at all. any contact he's had with the fbc is pretty much side poo poo at most and unrelated to the main story of it. like, his touch on the world exists but it's not exactly pulling the strings for everything.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

You can find a few pages of his writing that imply Alan wrote the Hiss into existence, and possibly the FBC as well. One of Alan's hotline voiceovers implies he created the central conflict in the game in order to get Jesse to appear and help rescue him.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 2, 2020

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Hell wasn't there a suggestion in Alan Wake that he wrote Thomas Zane into existence, and another suggestion that it was the other way around?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

*Alan designs an all-time great game*
*Everyone yells at him*

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Caidin posted:

Hell wasn't there a suggestion in Alan Wake that he wrote Thomas Zane into existence, and another suggestion that it was the other way around?

double inception wake wrote zane writing wakes clicker origin

im not gonna spoiler because the games 10 years old gently caress it

Captain Hygiene posted:

*Alan designs an all-time great game*
*Everyone yells at him*

i guess he had a lot of time to design a better one than he did the first time around

site fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 2, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah, tbh that kind of diminished the entire plot of Control to me, like I haven’t played Alan Wake, so I don’t know how it works in that game, but idk it just feels kinda strange in a sort of ‘it was all just a dream’ sort of way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really didn't get the impression that Wake created the FBC or Jesse, more that he used their existence to help him write himself out of the hole he was in. If anything, the fact that Wake is mentioned in files as having been under surveillance as a future potential Director made Alan feel like he was just a smaller part of the bigger game world that Control sits at the center of.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I really didn't get the impression that Wake created the FBC or Jesse, more that he used their existence to help him write himself out of the hole he was in. If anything, the fact that Wake is mentioned in files as having been under surveillance as a future potential Director made Alan feel like he was just a smaller part of the bigger game world that Control sits at the center of.

I've played it twice and this was my general takeaway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Control deals heavily in the Jungian concept of Synchronicity, the idea that two seemingly unrelated incidents can have a shared unconcious thought pattern between them. I feel that the same relationship exists between the events of Alan Wake and Control, where one did not bring about the existence of the other, but each draws an acausal parallelism between the two.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
how does alan know about the fbc at all if he didnt create them

acksplode
May 17, 2004

This seems pretty unambiguous to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy95_UX-SN4&t=484s

He's writing the Hiss incantation at the end there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

site posted:

how does alan know about the fbc at all if he didnt create them

acksplode posted:

This seems pretty unambiguous to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy95_UX-SN4&t=484s

He's writing the Hiss incantation at the end there.

This says that Wake is aware of what Alice experiences, so he could have learned about the FBC when Alice and Hartman were brought there as part of the investigation.

The history of the FBC is much longer than Wake's life or tenure in the dark place, and he also says he has to work with what he's got, so that goes more towards the "influence" interpretation. I also hope they don't go with Wake creating the entire Control concept out of whole cloth.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

This says that Wake is aware of what Alice experiences, so he could have learned about the FBC when Alice and Hartman were brought there as part of the investigation.

Right, because his superpower is that he's psychic. It's very clearly stating that he knows her experiences because he's writing them and making them happen.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

acksplode posted:

Right, because his superpower is that he's psychic. It's very clearly stating that he knows her experiences because he's writing them and making them happen.

"Alice was a conduit". It says he was only able to use them because they were already involved in his story.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

"Alice was a conduit"

"She'd been in the dark place. The Thing-That-Had-Been-Hartman sensed her near. Sensed Wake through her. Went berserk. Broke loose. Wake made sure Alice was already gone by then."

Alice is a conduit to Alan, which is what Hartmann sensed. Alan dangled Alice in front of Hartmann to get him to freak out, creating a crisis for Jesse to resolve.

haveblue posted:

It says he was only able to use them because they were already involved in his story.

No, it says he used them because it made the story more real. He's applying "write what you know" to his project of writing reality.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Maybe the Dark Presence influenced Wake to cause the Hiss outbreak for nefarious reasons?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
she doesnt explicitly say the fbc but in alan wake there already is in the beginning of episode 5 the conversation where the sheriff has barry call her dad because he "has connections to people who deal with this sort of thing" so that plot thread is already there in wakes head pre fbc talking to alice and pre control

site fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 2, 2020

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Wake almost definitely didn't create Control for the same reason he didn't create Thomas Zane. The timelines don't match up. Basically if you remember that Thomas Zane had to exist for the Dark Presence to break loose, this means Alan couldn't create him, only recreate him after he oblivionized himself. Likewise, Control probably had to exist for Alan to do his thing, as the Dark Presence abuses plot holes in reality to do nefarious poo poo -- which means that if you introduce a super long-standing ancient conspiracy, it'll take huge advantage of it to wreak havoc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/remedygames/status/1312019502847062017?s=19