Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Alan Wake cannot create things, he can use Already Existing Things to tell stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe there's something in the nightmare pages to say otherwise but i don't recall wake encountering agent nightingale before the darkness grabs him at the lake

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s not that Alan Wake can’t make things up whole cloth but what he can’t do is write like a 5 year old and go “and then a giant dragon came out of nowhere and burned the Dark away and everyone lived happily ever after the end.” He must stick to a logical progression of events for the story being told.

So does an FBI Agent Nightingale have to literally exist before Alan Wake decides to use that in his story? No. Does the reasoning for there being an FBI Agent Nightingale have to already exist before that story is written? Yes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That doesn't really follow from the story either as I understood it though because nightengale shows up out of nowhere for no reason that is ever explained and then as soon as the writer wake is done with him in a "get story character wake from point a to b to c" way he's written out of the story by way of the dark presence. There isn't any logical reason for that plot line at all

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I was using Nightingale’s existence as an example of what Alan Wake can and cannot do, not talking about his actual utility to the game. He is extremely underwritten and likely a vestige they couldn’t quite get rid of from a bigger and more expensive version of the game. If you want to expand outside the game a bit an obsessive and irrational FBI agent going AWOL to investigate the latest in a long line of mysterious disappearances and events all centered around a single lake in an otherwise quiet Pacific NW town only to be eventually maybe-but-probably-not-killed by his own misdirected obsession is extremely on point for a supernatural mystery-thriller.

He might have already existed and he might not have but like the Clicker his existence fits in the story (if you squint for a while).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's at least a lot in the AWE DLC implying that Alan Wake needed a hero and created things based off needing a hero. There's a strong implication that he created The Oldest House based off his own memories and possibly Jesse as well (which offers part of the reason why she may remember Zane.) Far more bluntly he seems to have manipulated Hartman being captured and then escaping and absolutely is implied to have created The Hiss.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah this is well covered by hotline messages. I don't feel like transcribing but in one he monologues about how he's going to escape, and his only constraint seems to be staging situations such that people are propelled by their own motivation in the direction he needs. People have to make decisions that make sense to them, rather than showing the obvious will of a writer. But he's starting the story from a conclusion that he has absolute power to declare, his escape from the dark place, and working backward from it to create multiple colliding causes that make his escape a natural outcome. His metaphor is tributaries feeding into a river, everything following the path of least resistance. I only played Alan Wake once when it first released so maybe there's some clearly stated rule in there about inventing characters that I'm forgetting, but what I see in AWE tells me the only constraint to Alan's power is that the narrative he writes has to be good fiction. He explicitly describes creating the Hiss incantation, and I don't think that's meant to suggest he only gave the existing Hiss a cool evil poem.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Transient People posted:

Hey guys, I'm having a weird technical issue and wass wondering if anyone might know of a way to fix it: I'm trying to fight the Anchor boss, but every time the fight starts and it winds up what I assume is its first attack, the game crashes. I looked for fixed and there were a bunch suggesting lowering resolution, turning off sounds, playing in compatibility mode and so on and so forth, bubt none of them really worked. Is there something else I'm missing that I could try? Would really like to not leave this boss unfinished.

Turn off the volume in game and/or turn around when it does its attack.

Edit: I see this is from the 1st. You probably found a fix by now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

acksplode posted:

Yeah this is well covered by hotline messages. I don't feel like transcribing but in one he monologues about how he's going to escape, and his only constraint seems to be staging situations such that people are propelled by their own motivation in the direction he needs. People have to make decisions that make sense to them, rather than showing the obvious will of a writer. But he's starting the story from a conclusion that he has absolute power to declare, his escape from the dark place, and working backward from it to create multiple colliding causes that make his escape a natural outcome. His metaphor is tributaries feeding into a river, everything following the path of least resistance. I only played Alan Wake once when it first released so maybe there's some clearly stated rule in there about inventing characters that I'm forgetting, but what I see in AWE tells me the only constraint to Alan's power is that the narrative he writes has to be good fiction. He explicitly describes creating the Hiss incantation, and I don't think that's meant to suggest he only gave the existing Hiss a cool evil poem.

Honestly I am kind of curious how they tend to rectify this because Alan Wake is most likely directly responsible for hundreds of deaths so that he can escape a scary place which is like infinitely unsympathetic. Like honestly short of "Alan Wake created people from thin air" the damage he wrought trying to rescue himself seems inexcusable. And if he did create them from thin air that's still kind of horrifying and he made Jesse's life a living hell all for his own gain.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Plus it's a waste of a really good and promising setting and characters to retcon a huge chunk of the files throughout the base game and Foundation and replace all the carefully revealed origins and history with Alan Wake magicked it all up from scratch. Which is why people are hesitant to immediately subscribe to that and hope they don't commit to that direction in future releases.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

Plus it's a waste of a really good and promising setting and characters to retcon a huge chunk of the files throughout the base game and Foundation and replace all the carefully revealed origins and history with Alan Wake magicked it all up from scratch. Which is why people are hesitant to immediately subscribe to that and hope they don't commit to that direction in future releases.

Yeah, that is my biggest problem with it. I really hope they just don't bother with that because Control absolutely does not need "simple and hard" explanations for its stuff because it's way more interesting as a collection of weird hosed up stuff in a weird hosed up universe.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah I feel the same way. It seems less clever the more you think about it. Even if he did create those people from thin air, their suffering probably felt real to them! Maybe there's a heel turn coming for Alan in the next game or something.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Whether or not he created the world of Control Alan Wake turning into a semi-malevolent OOP via his interaction with the Dark Place and his all-consuming desire to create the perfect escape from it would be a pretty good twist I think.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i have a hard time believing that alan wake somehow magically created a multitude of extradimensional beings that by themselves hint at a much wider world (of which alan is only one part of given him being behind just a single door out of many in the motel), instead of the much more reasonable take that the dark poo poo is but one malevolent thing out there and the influence of it has turned him into yet another powerful as hell reality-bender who specializes in being cognizant of many events going on at one time and trying to compel parts of them to work towards some goal or another

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You're all still thinking too small.

Alan Wake created Remedy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dammit Alan, why'd you let the Max Payne IP go

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

itry posted:

Turn off the volume in game and/or turn around when it does its attack.

Edit: I see this is from the 1st. You probably found a fix by now.

This is something I tried and it didn't work :(

bizarrely even while doing both these things it still crashes. I'm not sure why.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

This video is good, but is much much better if you watch it in reverse.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Transient People posted:

This is something I tried and it didn't work :(

bizarrely even while doing both these things it still crashes. I'm not sure why.

Hmm. That fixed it for me.

Might be worth checking the windows event viewer after it happens.

The only crashes for control I can find have something to do with d3d_rmdwin10_f.dll

A quick look at mentions of that file led me to entries in pcgamingwiki about multi-monitors and non-standard resolution ratios, and what seems to be an unrelated crash.

Have a look at your own event viewer and see if the issue is with that file. Might be worth looking further into it.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I need more Ahti and that motel.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of the motel the fact that there is a door there that leads to Wake/the Dark Place specifically is a good indication that he is somehow just aware of what was going on in Control, not that he created all of it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
thats true if youre writing a way to get rescued from the dark place surely you wouldnt give them a way to access to dark place to rescue you

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A cool camera hack

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1311657261601759233?s=21

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that must be the ps4 version of this tool

they have a bunch of other good mods worth looking at, i use dynahud, change outfits anywhere, slam up, and service weapon hotkeys

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Alan Wake wrote himself into existence.

No but seriously, I'm on board with him creating the hiss, but saying he created jesse and the fbc feels like a bit of a stretch.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Alan is the Hiss :tinfoil:

Someone analyse the gibberish of the Hiss against the gibberish that is Alan's prose.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Funny how an Alan Wake game teased Jesse's origin story ("It will happen again in a town called Ordinary"), and that the plot of her origin seems like it was pulled out of a Stephen King novel. Also isn't there a document which sneakily confirms that Alan created the Max Payne universe? Just some fun stuff to think about :)

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

There's someone else weird going on in AWE. The Thomas Zane in the intro cutscene claims to be a filmmaker and not a poet, and then Jesse corrects herself on that as well....but Zane was a poet in Alan Wake. That never gets address in the dlc, so something weird is going on beyond Alan messing with reality.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

acksplode posted:

Also isn't there a document which sneakily confirms that Alan created the Max Payne universe?

I can't remember if there's more in the documents, but iirc one of Dylan's monologues talks about something like "in one universe, an author wrote stories about a cop, in another, the cop was real".

e: yeah, the Mr. Door one.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 3, 2020

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I'm willing to buy into Alan in a COOL WORLD sense of the author is actually tapping into something which exists and is real outside of himself even though the characters, world, etc. manifested in his mind like creativity giving birth to new thought, but as someone who knows almost nothing about AW, all the implications of this crap are terrible and make me dislike AW and sour me on CONTROL. It's like writing stories whose sole purpose is to exist in the Tommy Westphall universe.

The only way I can conceive in past three minutes to do anything interesting with the premise that Alan is creating worlds willy nilly and that CONTROL is one of them is to have Jesse act in direct opposition to Alan in a tale about being subject to a cruel god who uses its creations as canon fodder in a pitiful, selfish battle and Jesse must fight to claim autonomy, and to stop Alan and his enemies permanently. Even so, that's a corrective measure to having made the CONTROL world a snowglobe in the hands of an autistic child.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SardonicTyrant posted:

There's someone else weird going on in AWE. The Thomas Zane in the intro cutscene claims to be a filmmaker and not a poet, and then Jesse corrects herself on that as well....but Zane was a poet in Alan Wake. That never gets address in the dlc, so something weird is going on beyond Alan messing with reality.

In the base game Langston also mentions that he was going to go see the latest Thomas Zane movie before the lockdown hit, IIRC.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's not just awe dlc, in the ordinary awe section I think it is there's a recording of a therapy session where Jesse's therapist asks her about a poem she likes because Jesse credits it to Thomas Zane but the therapist could only find a director by that name, no poets

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

In the base game Langston also mentions that he was going to go see the latest Thomas Zane movie before the lockdown hit, IIRC.

I had to do a quick mental doubletake and remember when the game came out, lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Captain Hygiene posted:

I had to do a quick mental doubletake and remember when the game came out, lol

Jesse clearing out the Hiss and then finding out there's been a Global Pandemic and they have to stay locked down after all :allears:

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

exquisite tea posted:

Control deals heavily in the Jungian concept of Synchronicity, the idea that two seemingly unrelated incidents can have a shared unconcious thought pattern between them. I feel that the same relationship exists between the events of Alan Wake and Control, where one did not bring about the existence of the other, but each draws an acausal parallelism between the two.

I see, I don’t know why but I felt like one of the documents of hotline videos made it seem like Alan wrote it into existence. But yeah you’re probably right, there’s several documents that refer to group think and other ‘evolutions’ of Jungian concepts like urban legends, but I much prefer this explanation to like, Alan Wake wrote the Hiss into existence to set the events of Control in motion so he could free himself? But idk, there’s a lot more weird poo poo going on, like Blessed Pictures, Thomas Zane or whoever, and im sure Remedy would at least find a slightly more interesting way to write Alan Wake into the Control universe, or I guess as explicitly as he is in AWE.

But re: Jung, when I first got the game I fell in love basically immediately, but especially when I read the first document you find which says ‘don’t bring any of the following into the bureau: number 2 pencils, smart phones, smart watches, anything ‘smart’, and anything considered to be an iconic representation of an archetypal concept, like rubber ducks or ketchup bottles, and that in addition to basically the entire first half hour or so of the game blew my mind.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 4, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly the fact that the Alan Wake DLC kind of poo poo all over Control's everything in favor of making Alan Wake More Important sits pretty sourly with me. "Alan Wake exists in the same universe" is a lot different than "Alan Wake is the clear protagonist of that universe"

I loved Alan Wake and was not a big fan of control, so finding this out is hilarious. Maybe I'll buy the alan wake DLC.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Jesse clearing out the Hiss and then finding out there's been a Global Pandemic and they have to stay locked down after all :allears:

Somehow probably Alan's fault yet again :arghfist:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Dammit Alan, why'd you let the Max Payne IP go

The story of Alan Wake is also quite literally the story of Sam Lake and crew following up with a new game after writing the Max Payne series. It's something else that makes the "It diminishes Control to have Wake write it" comments kind of funny. Alan Wake was always, in part, the writers at Remedy. He always wrote Control. Go long enough and lots of artists, especially writers, get the urge to make art about making art. In large part Alan Wake is about making something, even outside the particular "David Lynch/Stephen King horror story" tale going on around it.

cvnvcnv posted:

but as someone who knows almost nothing about AW

Alan Wake creating Jesse would be no different than Thomas Zane creating Wake in the first place, or the Old Gods of Asgard [Authors of such hit songs as Take Control from the game Control] influencing Wake *and* Jesse. What, did you think Wake was the only one with those powers? Or the only one with those powers writing about Jesse? gently caress no, Alan Wake the game is a giant incestuous mess of various authors coming together to defeat the darkness, and it's basically impossible to tell where it all begins and ends. Alan Wake is no more in the drivers seat than anyone else along the chain of causality. And as he says to someone in American Nightmare [Which may or may not have actually happened even in the game American Nightmare itself], does any of it matter really? You are doing the things you want to do for the reasons you have for doing them. That doesn't change.

And lets go one better: Alan Wake is guided on his journey by Thomas Zane, who also shows up in Control. A thing that only becomes super clear in supplementary material around Alan Wake the game is this: Thomas Zane is super loving dead, and in order to balance out freeing the Dark Presence he gave himself over to the Bright Presence. Wake never meets Zane in the game, he's guided by the Bright Presence in Zane's body. Much like he first meets the Dark Presence in the body of Zane's girlfriend Barbara. This leads to the only true supernatural ability that Alan can use at will, the ability to increase the power of lights to fight the darkness. So Alan Wake is guided on his journey by a supernatural voice in his head that directs him to defeat an evil invading presence and protect the world, which gives him supernatural powers.

Does that remind you of anyone? Does that mean that the Bright Presence driving Wake on is responsible for Control?

tl:dr Don't worry about any of it.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 4, 2020

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

itry posted:

Hmm. That fixed it for me.

Might be worth checking the windows event viewer after it happens.

The only crashes for control I can find have something to do with d3d_rmdwin10_f.dll

A quick look at mentions of that file led me to entries in pcgamingwiki about multi-monitors and non-standard resolution ratios, and what seems to be an unrelated crash.

Have a look at your own event viewer and see if the issue is with that file. Might be worth looking further into it.

So I did some research on this...from the looks of it, it seems like what's failing is platform_rmdwin10_f.dll. I'm not sure what 'platform' would be, but this does confirm it's not directx I think. Need to look into it more deeply...wonder what the cause could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

cvnvcnv posted:

I'm willing to buy into Alan in a COOL WORLD sense of the author is actually tapping into something which exists and is real outside of himself even though the characters, world, etc. manifested in his mind like creativity giving birth to new thought, but as someone who knows almost nothing about AW, all the implications of this crap are terrible and make me dislike AW and sour me on CONTROL. It's like writing stories whose sole purpose is to exist in the Tommy Westphall universe.

The only way I can conceive in past three minutes to do anything interesting with the premise that Alan is creating worlds willy nilly and that CONTROL is one of them is to have Jesse act in direct opposition to Alan in a tale about being subject to a cruel god who uses its creations as canon fodder in a pitiful, selfish battle and Jesse must fight to claim autonomy, and to stop Alan and his enemies permanently. Even so, that's a corrective measure to having made the CONTROL world a snowglobe in the hands of an autistic child.

I mean one way to think of it and get the best of both without lessening the impact of Control is to imagine that Jesse, the FBC etc all exists in their own right... but they didn't exist in Alan's world, and he wrote them into existence there, bringing the two parallel words together.