Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

TK-42-1 posted:

Remedy is the Christopher Guest of the game world.

Please respect Christopher Guest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The enemies in an Expedition level up for each objective you complete, so it's probably a good idea to go for the arena first since you don't have to fight everything (or really anything) in the others.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

holy poo poo i've had a blast playing control for the past couple weeks and i finally beat the second dlc tonight and they couldn't be more blatant with the ALAN WAKE 2 IS COMING message in the slightest

aaaaaaaaaaaa

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

EVENT IN PROGRESS...
CAULDRON LAKE

:f5:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Johnny Joestar posted:

holy poo poo i've had a blast playing control for the past couple weeks and i finally beat the second dlc tonight and they couldn't be more blatant with the ALAN WAKE 2 IS COMING message in the slightest

aaaaaaaaaaaa
Yes they got that sweet Epic Games money to work on two more games in the 'Remedy Expanded Universe' so we're definitely getting more of Alan and Jesse very soon

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm a massive alan wake fan so i genuinely can't wait to see what a proper, actual sequel is going to be like given all the improvements they've made over time

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I do not like the Hartman fight with its fake rear end health bar

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Health bar was ssstreeeetcheeddd

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"

Nut Bunnies posted:

I do not like the Hartman fight with its fake rear end health bar

Ha, yeah I was feeling pretty smug being able to drain him slowly but surely without taking a hit (I "cheated" by standing on a rooftop and a liberal use of shield). But then when I thought I'd killed him, that happened and I got so distraught I lost all focus and got killed pretty quick. Ragequit for me, will try again later.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I listened to Langston's entire speech ending with him calling his old cat an rear end in a top hat and I don't regret it for a second :allears:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Langston's complete satisfaction with a life of quiet mediocrity is an inspiration to middle managers everywhere.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

Langston's complete satisfaction with a life of quiet mediocrity is an inspiration to middle managers everywhere.

Langston trying to get the guards to laugh at his poo poo 69 joke is great.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm not sure if the langston stuff is entirely meant as a running joke about him, but his utter confidence in enjoying his life is genuinely kind of neat and something a lot of people wish they could achieve

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Langston's characterization is definitely intentional as a comfortably mediocre dude whose utter lack of ambition helps him advance by process of elimination as all the other FBC higher-ups get horribly killed.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Health bar was ssstreeeetcheeddd

i was staring at this for like ten seconds trying to work out what "street ched" was. some kind of illegal cheese? no.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

Langston's characterization is definitely intentional as a comfortably mediocre dude whose utter lack of ambition helps him advance by process of elimination as all the other FBC higher-ups get horribly killed.

I think the juxtaposition of incredibly everyday office life against the weirdness of the bureau is done so well. The warning posters, the clear signage everywhere, the endless samey offices and lovely complaints in memos but all while people are researching crazy-rear end stuff.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think Control’s supporting cast are all super talented and interesting people and I wish we could all go out to dinner together sometime!

X-Posting from PS Store thread just to highlight how dumb 505 games looks right now:

univbee posted:

I'm going to wait until Wednesday's conference at least for a new The Drip, but in the meantime here's a compiled list of every game (I almost certainly missed some) confirmed to be getting some form of free, discounted or otherwise conditional upgrade from the PS4-native version to the PS5-native version.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla: Unconditional
Borderlands 3: Unconditional
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War: Next gen version is $70US. PS4 version owners can upgrade to PS5 version for $10. Both PS4 and PS5 versions are included in more expensive bundles of the game. PS5 retail version is not compatible with PS4.
Control: Free upgrade for "Ultimate Edition" only. Deluxe edition or vanilla+season pass purchases do not get an upgrade avenue and must repurchase the Ultimate Edition at full price
Cyberpunk 2077: Unconditional, but will not be available until 2021
Dead by Daylight: Unconditional
Destiny 2: Unconditional (F2P title but expansion packs are cross-buy)
DiRT 5: Unconditional
DOOM Eternal: Unconditional
Far Cry 6: Unconditional
FIFA 21: Time limited, must redeem before FIFA 22 is released
Fortnite: Unconditional (F2P title)
Hitman 3: Unconditional
Immortals: Fenyx Rising: Unconditional
Just Dance 2021: Unconditional
Madden 21: Time limited, must redeem before Madden 22 is released
Marvel's Avengers: Unconditional
NBA 2K21: Both gens are only included in the "Black Mamba Forever" edition
Ride 4: Unconditional
Riders Republic: Unconditional
The Elder Scrolls Online: Unconditional
The Witcher 3: Unconditional
Warframe: Unconditional (F2P title)
Watch Dogs Legion: Unconditional
Yakuza: Like A Dragon: Unconditional

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 13, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

gallilee posted:

Ha, yeah I was feeling pretty smug being able to drain him slowly but surely without taking a hit (I "cheated" by standing on a rooftop and a liberal use of shield). But then when I thought I'd killed him, that happened and I got so distraught I lost all focus and got killed pretty quick. Ragequit for me, will try again later.

Yeah that fight pissed me off, I think it took over twenty minutes even after giving in and using invincibility. He just regenerated too fast for me to stop almost every time, unless I lucked out and was in the right place to stop it without having to cross the whole arena.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I just hit a brick wall on that fight myself. Loving the Alan Wake stuff, it's such a joy to see a continuation of that story, but getting stuck trying to levitate past a wall, seeing his shield go from a quarter back up to full while waiting to get my energy back, then having those loving explodey dudes show up all got just a bit too annoying for me to deal with anymore for today.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

If you haven't yet respec and pick up Multi-Launch. That + Charge let me burst him down. Seriously a ball ache of a fight, only failed it a couple of times cause of surprise shotgun blast one shotting me before I knew what to expect.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh, I saw multi-launch as a skill but only got half the points needed through the AWE playthrough. I forgot you could redistribute skill points.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I have multi-launch, dropping his health and shield down aren't too problematic, it's just when I mistime staggering him before he can shut down the lights or I get overrun by Hiss it takes me way too long to get the power back up and his shield has regenerated, then I get mad and start making stupid moves trying to catch back up. I'll get it, I just hit a wall is all.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 13, 2020

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I just hit a brick wall on that fight myself. Loving the Alan Wake stuff, it's such a joy to see a continuation of that story, but getting stuck trying to levitate past a wall, seeing his shield go from a quarter back up to full while waiting to get my energy back, then having those loving explodey dudes show up all got just a bit too annoying for me to deal with anymore for today.
I don’t have the AWE xpac but you described literally every non-orb boss fight in the game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I had luck staying near him. If you back off and give him distance it seems he'll do the darkness thing much more often. You also can stun him out of it by really laying into him while he's going for it.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

CJacobs posted:

I had luck staying near him. If you back off and give him distance it seems he'll do the darkness thing much more often. You also can stun him out of it by really laying into him while he's going for it.

I guess this is what happened with me. I never left his side while desperately flinging everything I could paranaturally lift at him, except to plug the power cores back in once. Also having a ranger buddy helped draw a lot of the fire away from me so I could focus on Hartman.

Managed to get him in one try in the final fight, yet couldn't manage the same in the arguably simpler Eagle Limited and Fra Mauro sections :negative:

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

I'm currently going through the foundation dlc and i cant seem to be able to progress. I'm right after the choice of power, i chose fracture (kinda disappointing imo). I went back to the crossroads and i break open this wall near the mobile lab. I fell into the astral collision. I then do the whole sequence of climbing to get to the top of the towers and make the central platform appear, i get to the slab i touch it, i complete the ritual and it sends me back to the central platform. On the central platform there was a beam of light that sends me back to the crossroads. That's where I'm stuck i can't seem to find anywhere to go from there since it seems like you need the create power to reach the next parts. Did i miss something?

If you fixed the sphere, you've done everything you need to do for the main plot in the astral collision.

There's an archway blocked by destructable crystals near research site gamma. It puts you on a path that eventually gets you to another slab/monolith, and it's probably where you want to go next.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I doubt it's on the radar for their 2 unnamed future games (almost certainly Alan Wake 2 and Control 2), but a prequel with li'l Jesse and Dylan's adventures in Ordinary with the slide projector and Polaris would be pretty awesome. There's enough world building already done on the back story that they could mold it into a full fledged game. The slides easily translate into different game worlds to explore. And kids having fun/creepy adventures with SCP paranormal objects is a genre without enough games to its name.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i really, absolutely hope that the odinson brothers have a role in alan wake 2 and i will riot if they don't

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'd just take halfway decent boss fights at this point. The Hartman fight is not an outlier!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Nut Bunnies posted:

I'd just take halfway decent boss fights at this point. The Hartman fight is not an outlier!

Remedy's never had a really good track record on boss fights. Max Payne's bosses were basically just normal mooks but with like 10x the HP and a unique face texture. Alan Wake didn't really have any boss fights I can think of, outside of the imaginary Barry fight in the 2nd extra episode, and again that was just a normal fast Taken but with oodles of HP. Although really the boss fight was the terrible, terrible floating platforming section combined with Alan's wonky camera angle and unreliable jumping physics. Control has some of the most unique bosses they've ever tried (not a high bar to clear), and even then that's mostly the side quest bosses. All the rest were, surprise, normal enemies with a bigger HP bar.

At this point I'd be happier if they would just stop trying to do boss fights or even focus on combat much at all. They hit combat gold one time with Max Payne and those sweet bullet time effects. Everything since then has been barely functional at best. World building and storytelling are where they shine, just lean into that more and just let the combat be something easy and forgettable that comes between story beats.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

I was super disappointed with the side missions in AWE. Eagle Limited could have done some cool poo poo with it why not transport you onto a moving traincar etc instead of the blank voidspace, and same with the item retrieval for Fra Mauro. -_-

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i actually genuinely enjoy the combat in both alan wake and control. the main thing is that it feels smooth.

that said nothing in control even remotely comes close to the hard mode in alan wake in terms of 'this is awful', as far as i remember

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I replayed AW recently after finishing Control, and wow Remedy just really likes spawning enemies behind you huh?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Huh, I have a very, very different take on Langston. His dialogue shows a clear distaste for Trench and Darling. He's sour towards the former for installing Dylan's cell in "his" Panopticon without even letting him take responsibility over it. He's quick to point out that he'd rather not work as hard as Darling does, but he's clearly not 100% happy about the "inner circle" and being kept out of the loop. He's not frothing mad or anything, but he's openly catty (:haw:) about this stuff.

Then there's his appraisal of Marshall. He starts out as affable about her as he is about anyone else, but is pretty stern about how there are better ways to appease altered items than a bullet. He starts to go on a little tirade about the superiority of satiating the extradimensional beings connected to each item via rituals and such. Then he seemingly catches himself and blurts out "well, that's just a theory I heard, anyway". Jesse comments to herself that she expected him to start ranting about elder gods and blood rites.

Weeeeeeellll there's this memo called the Tennyson Report, published anonymously, that pushes back against the Bureau's increasingly rational, scientific approach that's left the mystical side of things behind. Said memo also specifically takes a swing at Trench and Darling for being the "anti-esoteric bureaucrats" that have been steering the FBC in that direction. How weird. :raise:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

BobTheJanitor posted:

I replayed AW recently after finishing Control, and wow Remedy just really likes spawning enemies behind you huh?

oddly enough i felt like control was way better about that sort of thing. there were way less moments in control of feeling anxious as hell about enemies popping up from all over for better or worse. i feel like it really gave the shadow a bit of character in that sense, though.

not that i feel it was perfectly implemented or whatever, of course. i personally feel it definitely added to the environment in alan wake if nothing else.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah I don't remember the game ever really actively spawning enemies behind me in Control. Ludicrously silent enemies deciding to take the long way around a combat arena so they could sneak up behind me, on the other hand....

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BobTheJanitor posted:

Alan Wake didn't really have any boss fights I can think of, outside of the imaginary Barry fight in the 2nd extra episode, and again that was just a normal fast Taken but with oodles of HP.

They had a couple of places where the darkness possesses a piece of heavy machinery, but their placement doesn't really scream "boss" as far as level design and pacing goes, and there's only maybe 3 of them in the whole game.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Johnny Joestar posted:

i really, absolutely hope that the odinson brothers have a role in alan wake 2 and i will riot if they don't
AWE spoilers

According to a Hotline recording from Alan, Barry built them some kind of retirement home after they did like two reunion shows. Apparently Barry got concerned with how much going back on tour was taking out of them and shut down the tour. I’m pretty confident that they will show up in some capacity in the next game

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

FlamingLiberal posted:

AWE spoilers

According to a Hotline recording from Alan, Barry built them some kind of retirement home after they did like two reunion shows. Apparently Barry got concerned with how much going back on tour was taking out of them and shut down the tour. I’m pretty confident that they will show up in some capacity in the next game

oh dang, i think i somehow managed to not listen to that bit. prospects look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Johnny Joestar posted:

oh dang, i think i somehow managed to not listen to that bit. prospects look good.

it's in a hidden area locked behind a super obscure puzzle so it's not surprising most people would miss it