Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
1) the Auto-Aim assist on my Gamepad is insane, like don’t even bother ADSing it’s that’s good.

2) Not understanding the complaints about the map, except that the Red Arrow is where the camera is looking, not where Jesse is looking. It’s big, it’s solid, you can see your entire sector at once. Map is good.

3) The Threshold Kids are literally terrifying, incredible production values on the side content

4) I’m getting the low-level gamer anxiety from this game that I’m exhaustively looking at every nook and cranny and still missing stuff.

5) the big splashes across your screen when you enter a new zone are amazing and in general the level of presentation in this game is basically peerless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was exploring research and found an elevator shaft and you can completely negate all fall damage if you just air dash before you hit the ground.

The dodge in this game is sweet, my only problem with combat is aiming is inconsistent between powers. Mainly my issue is that your melee always goes off in front of Jesse, even if that isn’t where you are aiming. Your service weapon doesn’t have that issue, bullets always go towards the cursor, but melee is stuck on tank mode.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Returning enemy projectiles is a skill you unlock at Control Points

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah pay attention to your cursor you can get some really quick cinematic kills by just whipping poo poo with launch, you don’t need to wait for the object to fly to you first, as long as the enemy is targeted you’ll whoop it at them even if you picked it up a split second ago.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I also love the chain reaction of “throw a fire extinguisher at a dude, then throw his body at his friend, then throw that guy’s body at the next guy...”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jack Trades posted:

I unlocked this dumb suit from doing a secret(?) test thing and it's so dumb but I kinda like it.

SmmmmmmOkin'

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Console exclusive content is such loving trash every time

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Willie Tomg posted:

Yeah fighting the moldy boys loving SUCKS THE BIG ONE and I am not a fan. Its not enough that its homing shots, its not enough that one volley drat near 100-0's you, its not enough that their range is basically infinite. No: they also need to blend in nearly perfectly with their background and are obscured by atmospheric mold spores besides.

That's the one really really big misstep I've found so far.

I’m killing them in 2 hits with Pierce.

Also you’re forcefield is amazing. It works on seemingly everything, including weird psychic energy attacks and the exploding guys who rush you. Also the damage barrier might trigger before the physics objects actually cover Jesse, I was getting full damage reduction pushing the button a literal split second before the rockets were connecting to me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The Lone Badger posted:

How do I get some more of these House Memories? I need them to make gun bigger.

Have you cleared out all of Central Executives top floor? I found a crapton up there

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just made it to the Panopticon and I’m pretty confident looking over my list of games from 2019 that unless this takes a massive nose dive this is probably my GOTY.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
505 Remedy Community Update

Control Community Manager posted:

We hear you and we’re addressing the issues reported! Our developers are working to improve how the in-game map loads to ensure that all the relevant info displays immediately and correctly, as it should. We’ll provide more info on this very soon.

That doesn’t sound like they’re changing the map, just that they’re addressing some bugs. What are people finding difficult about the map exactly? It’s flat, it’s all on the screen at once, it shows your character and her orientation in the room, every room is labeled, your objectives appear on the map... what am I missing here? The map works great.

Also while the game goes lighter on the horror as you progress I did find a jump scare last night that seriously put me to bed. It happened and I went “WHELP THATS IT FOR ME I GOT WORK EARLY” *turns computer all the way off, face monitor away from bed, unplugs it from the wall so the monsters can’t get me*

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was struggling with Solomon until I swapped some more Damage mod onto my Grip and then I hosed his world up

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A big part of SCP is entities, not just objects.

A sequel to this game would need basically the final sequence from Cabin in the Woods except it’s a bossrush :unsmigghh:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Torquemadras posted:

This game looks really cool - like a mixture of Prey 2017 and the good parts of the SCP Foundation. Really would like to give it a go.

But I'm hearing there is no demo? While I do technically fulfill the minimum system requirements, I'm not sure I would enjoyy playing it on PC that much. I've got an i5-6600 and a Radeon RX 480. I'd get it on my PS4 Pro instead, but I'm ALSO hearing that it's running particularly bad on consoles.

Any ideas?

If you ever game on your PC at all and you don’t have a gamepad your super duper fuckin’ up.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I only heard that it runs bad on PsPoor, but about the same on a Pro as a decent PC.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve beaten every boss by possessing mooks to draw my fire and if you possess a really tough guy they can do a surprising amount of damage. I probably only took out 30% of Salvador’s health when I beat him.

I like Control because I feel like even with the skillspoint system the game still encourages you to basically use all of your powers all of the time instead of specializing. That is a more satisfying power fantasy, IMO.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have a much easier time nailing floating guys with launch if I just snap it at them rather than hold the button down to try to line it up. It’s almost like the enemies have an easier time dodging it from your direction and they have a much harder time dodging it if it nails them in the back of the head or off to the side

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Talos 1 and The Oldest House are both perfectly realized and lived in environments and I don’t think either of them is better or worse. You could learn about either one in a Master’s lecture on Level Design IMO

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Hub Cat posted:

For a real hot take I think the mediocre combat in Control is much better than the bad system shock inspired combat in Prey.

What are these sweet games with amazing combat you’re playing?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Stroth posted:

Which is probably why an organization that prides itself on only using extremely literal and mundane names for empowered objects calls it “The Service Weapon” and not just “The Gun” or “The Sidearm”. Hell the documentation for it says flat out that they think it probably used to be Mjolnir and Excalibur and it changes itself around for its user.

Besides Excalibur and Mjollnir it lists a 3rd name I’ve never seen before or heard of, and I was kinda impressed because I felt like I knew my real magic weapons from history. I assumed it’s Indian or Asian because those are the big holes in my mythology, but what is that 3rd weapon?

Jack Trades posted:

Launch first, because it already does more damage than anything else and with upgrades it'll do insane damage.
Max HP second, to somewhat deal with all the instant kill bullshit.
Energy third, so you can use Launch more often.

Everything else is completely irrelevant.

Sorry I think this is bad advice. Launch is amazing but you only need like 2-4 points in it before it gets going. Seizing enemies is HUGE and an amazing tool, and upgrading your SHIELD is essential. Being able to move freely through an active war zone while at 1 HP to go heal yourself is amazing, and the shield is very responsive, negating damage basically as soon as you press the button.

I ignored HP and upgraded my energy after boss fights but basically leveled everything equally and never felt like any of my points were wasted. You can also mod for health and energy but the mods don’t make your abilities that much stronger, except the Seize ones that reduce its cast time.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 1, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just think it’s important to point out that the posters having the most trouble with the bosses ITT are also all posting about ignoring everything except Launch.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah one thing I really love about this game is how you can really use your powers in conjunction. I was blown away when I realized all your powers still work while levitating, I feel like lots of games would force you to land first.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m a hardcore PC gamer and found this game unplayable with M+KB.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Quinton posted:

I'm okay with Jesse being a bit of a glass cannon. She's not wearing armor. She's got crazy TK powers and a strange futureweapon that really dish out the damage. So being a bit squishy is reasonable to me, seeing as otherwise she's just a person, often massively outnumbered.

My big grumble is lack of cues when additional enemies spawn in mean that sometimes you've got things under control and suddenly you get hit by multiple rockets or swarmed by hiss who weren't there a moment ago and there wasn't much opportunity to learn that they were turning up.

The cue is the music. If the combat music is playing there are still bad guys.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Everybodies teeth look like they are trying to jump out of their mouths.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
NO INTERRUPTIONS!!!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Supposedly there is a Spin mod in the game e that refunds your bullets on hit 100% of the time unrelated to the furnace. A goon said it was near The Atlas but I haven’t been able to find it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Willie Tomg posted:

This gets so much worse with literally every other boss, lol. There is exactly one that does not use some similar variation on Floor Is Lava and I will reiterate: its the best boss in the game. The one you just beat is at least straightforward: press buttons to not die when one fixed behavior happens. Now imagine more difficult bosses with similar mechanic tests attached. They're surmountable of course, but yikes.

The thing about Levitating is that it slowly drops you back to the ground, you don’t just fall out of the sky. The game REALLY wants you to be floating around at all times during these boss fights, and you won’t fall into the lava pits if you’re floating and you’ll have time to land somewhere safe if you’re not prematurely ending your flight. Once I started approaching every level 5+ encounter from the air I was basically an Angel of Death

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Upgrading your mod level in Astral Constructs:

Does this effect what level mods enemies drop? Or is that only affected by their enemy level?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Paper Lantern supplement was downright chilling

The one about the dude getting mad at the Fridge for eating his lunch is very good.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Melee is the only thing I think isn’t worth upgrading, but that’s because the rest of the games combat is geared towards staying high and dry instead of wading into the wreckage.

Additionally the melee attack is coded weird and will go off in the direction Jesse is facing and not the direction of the cursor. It’s super frustrating and I died a few times in the early game trying to finish off someone with melee and just poof-ing over their shoulder or off to the left instead of blasting the dude in the dead center of my screen, 2 inches from Jesse.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s NUTS! Seize is so powerful, id prioritize it much higher.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

scary ghost dog posted:

if theyre low enough to sieze theyre low enough to pick up and throw

yeah but they get full health back when you seize them. I started siezing the office chair psychics in every fight after the Panopticon and it's real good yall

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The game is definitely tuned and balanced to be swapping between your powers and guns over and over.

If you think you’re doing fine without one, I promise you’d be doing better with it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

without powers you're playing on super-hard-mode

without guns you might be slightly inconvenienced during really long fights

without guns and with +energy / -launch energy cost mods you won't even notice a difference

Strong disagree, Charge is invaluable for dealing with the stealth exploding guys and regular floating guys, Pierce one shots every mob in the game, Shatter chunks off huge chunks of names elites.

The Furnace mod is literally so good I reloaded a previous save to beat the game without it because it was too strong and trivialized every boss.

I never found the mod that refunds 15% of Spin’s ammo 100% of the time, and as a result Spin stayed garbage all game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You can’t miss the furnace one because the quest to get it is unlisted and basically impossible to trip over.

The Spin one was only mentioned once by a goon in this thread, who gave lovely directions to its rough location and then never posted about it again because they suck.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Macaluso posted:

I'm in the Quarry right now, and there is quite literally one hundred thousand billion enemies. Conrtrol devs, for the love of god give me a break here

LoL wait until the ending sequence

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

You get more powers but the end game fights feel more desperate than the beginning ones. I would bet that's a case of them only testing internally with their devs who are intimately familiar with how the power sets are meant to be most effectively used but that's not very fun for a game that ostensibly lets you pick your preferred build and playstyle.

I think the first part is a strength, not a weakness. I’d way rather the endgame fights feel engaging in a game like this than just waltzing through everything because it was so easy.

Also I don’t think there is really anything to the build/playstyle idea. Every power is very strong and they all work really well in conjunction with each other. Launch is ostensibly the most powerful ability, but it’s also your bread & butter attack tool, and the game feels very balanced around that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There’s definitely a conversation where Emily explains that you are an anomaly. Northmoor managed a Launch of like 8 meters and that was like a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I beat the game. Do any side quests explain what happened to Casper or did the most interesting character in the game who was basically the lynchpin for many of the most important plot points just... never show up in the game?