Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I'm very interested in this game. Seeing it being called some sort of mish mash of a metrovania, psy ops, SCP fan fic wrote by actually good writers and just being generally crazy. I hear the game has some bad optimization. Ps4 players having a really lovely time and what not.

My question is: Hows the P.C version looking? Got a 1070, CPU Fx9590, 16gb DDR3 ramz. Think I'm in the clear with these specs?

My PC specs are similar (including the 1070) and it runs pretty well for me on highish settings. Turning on any of the raytracing options makes my graphics card flip out until the game crashes though. The biggest resource hog outside of that seems to be volumetric lighting. It gets a little choppy if you start moving the camera around at speed (probably because the game is drawing a million physics objects) but otherwise looks and runs well. I've been considering swapping to controller just for smoother camera movement so I upset the graphics less.

Apparently (celebrity guest appearance) Kojima is in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost
Aside from that chop I mentioned it's pretty stable, it would probably perform better if I turned even more settings down but the game looks so dang cool I'm willing to put up with lower performance. It helps that the gameplay doesn't really suffer for it, none of the timing or aiming I've done so far has needed to be super precise. Granted, I'm only like 4 hours in so that could change.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Kill All Humans posted:

Is it just me or is the aiming in this game kinda jittery and imprecise? Maybe I'm just bad but it feels much more difficult to click heads than in any other shooter I've played.

It feels like maybe there's no or very little aim assist? I'm a terrible shot though in every game.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost
Wow the Ashtray Maze sequence is insanely cool and I wish the game had... more of that.

Kind of takes the shine off if you die partway through it though.

Also how the hell do normal people who can't fly around get through that???

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

fadam posted:

Spoiler question: Is the reveal at the end supposed to be that Polaris is you, the gamer?

Polaris is kind of a player-proxy the same way, say, Zach is in Deadly Premonition, but I don't think it's explicitly the case that You Are Polaris. I think the "Hedron was dead all along" reveal means that all of the Polaris-fed power Jesse exerts all game is in fact coming from inside her, instead of being a conduit for this greater force. Possibly she's 'infected' by it the same way the Hiss infects others, but Polaris works with/alongside her instead of overmastering her.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Prokhor posted:

Regarding the ending Where are you getting that Hedron was dead along?? How did the Hedron resonance devices work before you got there? Why did the hiss invade everyone when they killed it? I understood Polaris to be, if not a part of you, just another facet that Hedron awoke (I don't think created.) I think Hedron awoke Dylan in a similar way, since in one private recording he seems to be talking to himself in a way that to me is reminiscent of talking to Polaris saying something like "she got powers all I got was you."

I guess Hedron being dead for a while was just an impression I got from the containment unit falling apart and being empty. We never get an explicit breakdown of the HRAs, they could be running off recordings or something. And the Hiss don't invade everyone, that's a dream sequence. Probably. It's all pretty up for interpretation so I could be wrong!

exquisite tea posted:

Polaris was still functioning when Jesse got to the chamber, but was then corrupted and killed by the Hiss. The Hedron had to still be alive at that point since she was the only thing keeping all the other FBC personnel from turning. Jesse almost became Hiss herself but managed to search through her memories to find a piece of Polaris in herself, or something like that. It's Jesse that anchors the HRA devices now since Polaris still lives within her.

e: Yeah, this all makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Prokhor posted:

Re: the ending / post game

If you talk with Pope in the post game she talks about the HRE's failing, and the experience of almost disappearing into the hiss. They remark that since Hedron is dead but the HRE's keep working that there must be another source - you.

Ohh ok! I pretty much closed the game to take a break after the credits so, of course there's important lore stuff I haven't seen in the postgame. Duh. That's cool and good to know