Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Tenzarin posted:

I thought they didn't do max payne 3. That was someone else.
Max Payne 3 was Rockstar and it shows in the lack of charm, basically being Max Payne but if the GTA guys wrote it. Its been 7 years and I will go to my grave mad about this even if Max Payne 3 was a fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I haven't had any issues with Epic other than their crappy store and weird patching but if you're concerned pay with PayPal and tell it not to save the info or buy it off the HumbleBundle site. You do want to enable two-factor authentication on your Epic account though because a million randos will try to break into it using your email address to steal your fortnite dollars if it is on any of those pwned lists and it can lockout your account.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 28, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

They were saying upthread it was a ps4 exclusive so you may not have it.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The reddit post earlier was unclear but I think they meant it was supposed to be called isolation but actually ended up with a different name ingame. Even worse it seems like its part of the deluxe edition so even ps4 players might not have it for maximum potential confusion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/controlgame/comments/cvucvs/control_interview_your_questions_were_answered/
5. Any exlusive content for other platforms?

Answer Kasurinen: "Yes there is a side mission that is exclusive for playstation 4. It's a side mission called Isolation. It's an interesting one. We showed it a bit on the Sony screen yesterday. It's about Jesse finds these strange tapes where the japanese scientist who does experiments to like he talks about a immagery dreamlike type of thing and then you get these psychological visions and so on. So it's a side mission that is exclusive for Playstation."

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 30, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I'd be pretty annoyed but I saw the post before I spent time looking for it and tbh it looks like there isn't any gameplay to it so you might as well just watch it on youtube
First part:https://youtu.be/6VEXgNXJbVQ?t=172
Second Part:https://youtu.be/6VEXgNXJbVQ?t=996

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 30, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

SardonicTyrant posted:

gently caress, every human boss is a bullet sponge. Is there a trick to killing them?

I mostly just throw poo poo at them it usually stuns them

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

SterlingSylver posted:

On another note, now taking all advice on dealing with the mold boss
For the Mold Boss killing the claws(vines??) cuts out its heaviest damage attack and you can destroy them even with the armor in the way after that the only thing to worry about is the poison gas it deploys if you hang out behind the rocks too much or its health gets low enough and you can just levitate over that or stand on the rocks

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

exquisite tea posted:

Is it possible to obtain Mirror Jesse's outfit somewhere in the game?

Yes after you go back to the real world the glass is broken on the test areas and its on a mannequin in one of the small rooms.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Did you ever figure this one out? I didn't see any hiss clusters like the other poster said

Can you screenshot the area you're having trouble with? All the hiss blocks I've seen have been clearable by killing hiss/nodes or taking over control points.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The Lone Badger posted:

What are those rifles with the top rotary magazine and cooling shroud the rangers use? They look like something out of WW2.

They look like lewis guns

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The Lone Badger posted:

Has anyone been able to upgrade the Pierce yet?

Edit: Moldsnake is nasty.

I've finished the game and done all the sidequests that I'm aware of and still no pierce upgrade

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Its a story event, if you've found Dylan you aren't that far from it but I think you need to go talk to Emily first at that point

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

That control point is the best one. Its like a cargo cult control point with brooms and other janitorial equipment setup to look like the scientific equipment of a normal control point

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I think pretty much all the sidequests end up being harder than the areas you find them, the mold guys and plant monster are particularly nasty

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I think a lot of the enemies need combat barks, a lot of the time when you're being attacked you don't have any warning till its happens. I've been hit by a ton of engineer rockets because the only warning you get is the launch sound and they can fire from very close to you or the cloaking guys who can nearly one shot you even with multiple health upgrades.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

If you have a enemy that dodges usually you can force a dodge by shooting them a couple of times and then throwing crap at them after they stop. Tomassi is harder because you don't have as many options at that point in the game.

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve beaten every boss by possessing mooks to draw my fire and if you possess a really tough guy they can do a surprising amount of damage. I probably only took out 30% of Salvador’s health when I beat him.
Another reason the mold plant monster is on the harder end, there is nothing to seize to take the heat off.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 1, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

For a real hot take I think the mediocre combat in Control is much better than the bad system shock inspired combat in Prey.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I think the only enemy in Control that doesn't telegraph its attack is the mold spitter guys? Which I 100% agree are terrible but really they only show up like twice and the ground mold guys can only hit you from very close. Like the enemies in Prey look good but mostly end up being weird thing that swings at you with a big health bar and which of the guns isn't just a bullet hose, the Gloo gun, the Taser, the laser that fills a bar that makes the enemy die?

Like I love both games and if I had to pick between them Prey is a better game but the combat is not why I like Prey at all.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 1, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Look I'll be real with y'all I just really want a new Psi-Ops game and this is the closest I've got

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Jack Trades posted:

"Ground mold guys"? There's only one mold enemy type and they all have projectiles and there are a bunch of other enemy types that have no clear telegraphs for the attacks.
Like all the dudes with hitscan weapons and the rocket dudes and a bunch of others. All the enemies looks pretty much the same too, much like Prey. I still don't know what the difference is between the rocket dudes and non-rocket dudes except that the latter instakills me if I get close to them.
The bullet shooting guys typically have dark grey/black uniforms and black helmets (some of these look like security guards and carry shotguns these are probably what's killing you) whereas the Demolition experts have light grey uniforms, yellow helmets and they are carrying a gun that looks like a sniper rifle they typically go down on one knee and pause for a few seconds when they are firing their rocket. Most gunfire can be avoided if you just keep moving.

There are two mold enemies as far as I can tell one is a walking guy that is basically a zombie that spits on you if you get within a few feet but has no other attacks, there is another mold that I've never actually gotten close to that fires some sort of purple attack(?) that destroys you from long range and I hate these guys but afaik they only show up in the pit and another time towards the end you can block their attacks with your shield or pop out from a corner and annihilate them with the pierce.

The pit is a completely optional sidequest and the area is much harder than the surrounding area and my advice would be to come back later if you are struggling.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 1, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Oxxidation posted:

rockets travel very slowly and emit a very clear "fsssss" sound to politely inform you that you're about to get blown the gently caress up, i never had much trouble knowing when they were coming

mind you, i still get blown the gently caress up fairly often, because i'm distracted by other things, but that's not a game-design fault

The rockets hit me all the drat time because I'm too busy trying to do some John Woo poo poo and I just end up looking like a clown but again that isn't the games fault

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I mean giving people the benefit of doubt, sometimes the rocket guys shoot their rockets while right in your face and if you can't see them(like if they are behind you or behind an object) it can be hard to tell which direction a rocket is coming from. But there is also a bright red pillar of light over enemies and a loud whooshing sound when enemies warp in?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

keep the lights running while
So about the lights how about that NSC Northmoor Sarcophagus Container

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 2, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

speaking of, does anyone know where part(s) 3 of the Ordinary AWE records are? I found parts 1, 2, and 4 and I can't tell if they game is playing a nasty joke on me or if I just overlooked a lore pickup
There is definitely a 3 because I have it but I can't remember which room it was in unfortunately although I'm sure it was around the Ordinary AWE area

For anybody that has beaten the game, its worth doing a little tour and talking to people because Jesse has new dialogue for a lot of places . Its not a ton but its definitely worth checking out.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 2, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

JoeGlassJAw posted:

I haven't been sucked in like this by a game in a long time. Haven't gone back and read the thread so maybe this has been addressed but has anybody involved in this game mentioned SCP in terms of influence in development? All of the lore documents regarding containment of wacky items or whatever are so reminiscent of SCP entries, right down to the seemingly nonsensical redaction of certain words.
They've mentioned SCP , House of Leaves and the Southern Reach Trilogy as influences https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4KFu3zLB6M&t=570s

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 3, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

SirSamVimes posted:

EVERYONE WANTS THE BIG CHAIR, MEG

Does Uncle Mister Bones feature in any other episodes of Threshold Kids? I only found three of them.

There is one in the pit that supposedly doesn't show up till after you beat mold-01

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Skippy McPants posted:

A character touch I genuinely enjoyed throughout the game was how quickly Jesse took to everything. Not simply rolling with the punches, but reveling in all the weirdness. Normally the protagonist in this sort of story is a mixture of confused and terrified, but Jesse is having the time of her life from the moment she walks through the door.

Edit: 'course it helps that by the mid-point she's become an unstoppable psi-wizard who can swat extra-dimensional horrors like they're houseflies.

I feel as though Jesse is like "This is where I belong" like she's been looking for something her whole life and she is not just surviving at the FBC but thriving.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Macaluso posted:

Oh yeah to answer your question:

If you missed it I don't blame you. Why isn't the text just black lol

I don't have that? Also my Epic game list has decided to rearrange itself so my installed games are no longer at the top which is very inconvenient.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I don't really wanna dunk on you for getting his name wrong because gently caress Langston, but its in the screen shot

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

SirSamVimes posted:

Addendum to my previous post about Darling doing nothing wrong: he did everything wrong wrt to Dylan but otherwise my previous statement stands.

He was also a huge shithead to Emily. And this may just be a personal peeve but the best name he could come up with for an extremely powerful unknown alien entity is Hedron because its geometric and has lots of sides

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 10, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I'd say 60% of my deaths are my fault for nuking myself with charge, an explosive TK throw, or both.

I've fallen off ledges an alarming number of times

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's not actually the Alan Wake Expansion, it stands for Altered World Event. There's just speculation / wishful thinking that it'll be an Alan Wake tie-in.

I think its a little more than just wishful thinking considering the teaser image.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 7, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

RareAcumen posted:

God, there are so many theories now that I'm so curious about.

Ahti doesn't have an HRA but he's been fine the entire game despite that. But everyone the Hiss infect seem to be repeating their chants in English. Ahti speaks English but it seems to be his second language and Finnish is way incompatible with it so is that all you need to not get infected by it? Or was he just an aspect of The Oldest House that peaced out when it saw poo poo getting real bad so the Hiss couldn't completely infect everything?
Ahti is the name for a Finnish god of the sea, but its never spelled out exactly what he is beyond something not human and probably powerful (he responds to Jesse's inner monologue at one point) in any case he almost certainly doesn't need an HRA to resist the hiss . He Maintains/Is a Part Of the Oldest House hence him "hiring" Jesse to become the Director/Janitor's Assistant and Clean Up/Destroy the Hiss.

RareAcumen posted:

God, there are so many theories now that I'm so curious about.

They never actually mentioned how those projectors worked did they? The ones with Dr. Darling on them giving you a bit more lore all the weird Proper Noun objects in the game.

Dr. Darling: gets all hopped up on Hedron energy and becomes part of the Astral Plane (probably) and sends you messages to try to help you

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 14, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

You can't solve it, you will know when you can.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Jimbot posted:

Jesse's going to become that universe's Dale Cooper. Some weird poo poo going on? Call in Jesse and she'll take care of it. I love it.

I wonder if Trench's "apparent suicide" will get explained. He was corrupted by the Hiss so why would they dispose of their most powerful asset? A moment of clarity and regained control on his part? Or was there some time fuckery Jesse and Polaris pulled off through the Service Weapon and offed Trench in the beginning of the game, like she did in her dream.

I personally figured that he realized that he hosed up and offed himself in a moment of clarity to ensure the hiss was trapped in the lockdown. My secondary oddball theory that probably isn't true is that the Hiss killed him so it could put Dylan in charge but Ahti/The Oldest House beat it to the punch.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I uninstalled Control a while ago and now I'm trying to reinstall it to checkout the expeditions but clicking it does nothing, anybody else run into this problem? It just says loading underneath and I've tried the usual fixes like restarting and reinstalling the launcher.

Edit: Since I hate when I google something and find somebody posted the same problem and never returned to show how they fixed it, this is the fix Epic support gave me:

Epic Support posted:

1. Exit the Epic Games Launcher entirely by right-clicking on the icon in the bottom right corner and click on Exit
2. Navigate to C:\Users\\AppData\Local\EpicGamesLauncher\Saved\Config\Windows\
3. Open GameUserSettings.ini.
4. Look for an entry like this LastPlayedGame=calluna:2342772f440d4f2b94e588c5015438fb:Calluna and delete it.
5. Save and close GameUserSettings.ini.
6. Start the Epic Games Launcher

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 24, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Iverron posted:

I’ve seen a lot of people expecting the sort of story closure from those two DLC that a Control 2 is much more likely to provide. I’m not expecting much there beyond some additional cool lore and setting.

I’m pretty burned out on DLC in big games like this. Solid but more of the same and nothing spectacular is about as good as you can hope for most of the time.

I think people are hoping for closure in the DLC because there might not be a Control 2.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Donovan Trip posted:

They've been making a profit since at least November and got a bunch of awards and nominations, we'll almost definitely get more. I hope the sequel can do even bigger numbers off word of mouth about the first one.

The number from the sale report was 17.7 mil total gross(it looks like) and Remedy is getting 45% of the net, the 9.5mil Epic exclusivity dollars went to the publisher no telling how much if any actually went to Remedy. So splitting everything to 45% would have Remedy at a little over 12 mil probably less when you factor in manufacturing, distro and marketing costs. The Remedy ceo said the game cost around 30 millionish and wiki is saying 7.75 million of that came from the publisher.

Remedy posted:

Clarification regarding the Control game sales revenue recognition

On Wednesday 13th November 2019, Digital Bros S.p.A. – the publishing partner of Remedy Entertainment Plc – released their first quarterly report of the financial year that started in July 2019. The report also covered the revenue recognition regarding sales of the Remedy-developed game Control, which was released on 27th August 2019. Digital Bros S.p.A. disclosed €17.7M of Control game sales recognition during 1.7.–30.9.2019. Also prior to this, Digital Bros S.p.A. had reported a revenue recognition of €9.5M during the financial year 1.7.2018–30.6.2019 based on the exclusive agreement regarding the distribution of Control’s PC version on Epic Games Store.

On May 3rd 2017, Remedy announced the signing of a publishing agreement with Digital Bros S.p.A. regarding the Control game, and disclosed Remedy to receive 45% of game sales net revenue. The revenue share is calculated from net sales, which takes into account deductions such as retail and marketing costs of the game. Once the game starts to sell and before paying the game developer, the publisher is typically allowed to deduct upfront specific costs, such as manufacturing and distribution costs of physical game copies as well as marketing costs.

Additionally, revenue recognition practices differ between Remedy and Digital Bros S.p.A., as Remedy reports based on FAS and Digital Bros S.p.A. reports based on IFRS. Therefore, the figures reported by the companies are not comparable. Based on the aforementioned reasons and especially during the early phases of the game’s sales, Control’s revenue recognition to Remedy takes place with a delay and no direct conclusions can be drawn as to the recognition of net sales share based on the figures reported by Digital Bros S.p.A.

Remedy is commenting this matter with a company announcement as publicly available reports regarding the estimates of Control game sales revenue recognition do not – for the reasons described above – reflect the actual amount or timing of the 45 % net sales revenue to be recognised by Remedy.

Remedy’s outlook remains unchanged as the company expects its revenue and profit to grow during 2019, as mentioned in the half-year report released on August 13th 2019.
Edit:I'm not trying to be doom and gloom but I can't really get my hopes up after Alan Wake.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 30, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Reading the full thing it seems in my opinion like the kind of statement you make when your game missed the sales goal but you have to put a positive spin on it.
I think we will see what happens after the stuff they still have in the pipeline is out and I'll gladly take being proven wrong on this one.

Remedy Ceo posted:

"Control was developed in three years with a budget of less than €30 million," says Remedy CEO Tero Virtala. "We don't quite require the same huge lifetime numbers as many other games with bigger development budgets. Therefore, even though Control didn't have chart-topping sales right from the get go, we are in a good position with steady sales. We always take the long view here.

"Nowadays, the majority of sales for many games are generated over a long period of time in digital stores -- and Control continues to sell, which is good. We are bringing more free and paid content to the game. It has the proven high-quality and uniqueness, and the word-of-mouth that keeps growing. There is still a big audience out there that hasn't yet heard of Control. These are all factors that support the longer-term sales.

"Strategically, it has been highly important that we have succeeded in establishing a new brand. In our industry, this is very challenging: new games come every now and then, but very few break through and become something special. It is of course still very early days, but Control is showing good signs of establishing itself and having a growing fan base."

While Remedy is clear that new and old fans can expect more from Control in the near future, Virtala adds that it shouldn't be seen as the end of the journey that started three years ago. The company now employs more than 250 people from 30 different countries, and it has not sacrificed its emphasis on employee happiness to reach those numbers. Control was made to a tighter schedule than its two previous games, with a (relatively) smaller budget, all while improving the underlying technology, which will help the various ideas being incubated at the company to be made even more quickly and efficiently.

"That's a big win for us internally," says Virtala. "As a company, we also think beyond individual games to build long-term success -- that is done step by step, in a sustainable way. I'd say we have taken the first steps, but there is still a lot to be done, and we keep on improving.

"But we believe we are on the right trajectory and in a strong position to make decisions. It's a good position to be in."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

large_gourd posted:

i thought 'the service weapon is not a gun it is applied violence' was a joke

It's not a joke, it is applied humor.

They aren't joking the Service Weapon is a conceptual idea, that's why the board calls it a sword and people say Trench's was different

Edit:Like I get the argument that Remedy makes these interesting concept games (AW,Quant Break, Control) and then bolts them onto "boring" 3rd person shooter gameplay but honestly I'm not really sure what "god weapon" gameplay would actually look like within these kind of games that is saleable to people for money. It seems mainly to me like they fall down in the parts where the small budget really hurts them like enemy variety and the shooting would otherwise be fine.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 16, 2020