Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Mr. Hatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Noice. Love the Remedyverse.

Needs more Mr. Hatch.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah. Quantum Break's story was pretty dang good.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought it was an interesting game but MS is not going to make another one, so it would have to be a case like with the Alan Wake IP where MS agrees to sell the IP rights back to Remedy.

Microsoft definitely should sell it back to Remedy. The time travel and quantum states stuff was Maximum Remedy, and internally consistent and good.

There's even some good potential hooks, Jesse looks like a certain someone from Quantum Break...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
They should upgrade Season Pass + full game owners for free on console. I hope they walk this back.

At most, I'll pay like $10 at most to "upgrade." I shouldn't have to though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Can't buy used games to get around that if you've gone full digital. *taps forehead*

crazy like a fox

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

That's utter horseshit.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Looks great on Xbox. Just puttin' it out there.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MMF Freeway posted:

Does Control have any tie-ins to Quantum Break? I never played it or paid attention to it at all really so if there were files and stuff referencing it they went over my head. I don't even know the protagonist's name

We haven't seen the end of Mr. Hatch. Or, something very like him.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Basic Chunnel posted:

Are you referring to Alan Wake’s American Nightmare antagonist Mr. Scratch, or is Remedy just kind of hacky

\/\/\/\/

SardonicTyrant posted:

Maybe. Possibly

Quantum Break spoilers: Being exposed to chronon particles can cause people to suffer a sort of time-disease where they start experiencing the past and the future all at once. At the end of the game there's a file by a guy named Martin Hatch who suffers from this disease, but somehow worked past it, and claims to now exist in all points of time all at once. One of Dylan's rants in Control talks about someone or something named Mr. Door, who is everywhere at once.

So, maybe that stuff from Quantum Break may be referenced in a later Remedy game, but we'll see.

This is what I was referring to. Mr. Hatch is the catalyzing force and antagonist in Quantum Break.

Bust Rodd posted:

AWE is worse than Foundation by a pretty wide margin, IMO, and most of the forums leans that way. It seems like a pretty big miss if you have no nostalgia for Alan Wake, and the light puzzle bossfights are too slow moving IMO

Not playing Alan Wake is a forgivable crime, but only barely and just because it's only a video game.

SirSamVimes posted:

Alan Wake rules though and I'd be just as happy with an Alan Wake 2 as a Control 2.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BobTheJanitor posted:

Think I've pretty well polished off all the game has to offer. Scouring the achievements to see if there's anything big left, and it looks like no. It's just a few hidden rooms and some 'kill X enemies with Y' stuff. Kind of annoying that the AWE dlc doesn't have a 'complete all missions' achievement just to let me know when I've exhausted all the content, since Foundation did.

Although I did notice way down in the bottom of the list that "Complete 5 Bureau Alerts" has only been done by 2.3% of players, which is kind of funny. Guess everyone thought they were as dumb as I did. :v:

That cheevo was bugged since launch. It was only fixed when Foundation came out. They just too showing up after a certain point in the story and nobody wanted to lose their progress.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

oh god, Courtney Hope plays one of the main characters in Quantum Break. Waht does it all meeeeaannnn??? :tinfoil:

It means... there's a way. A way for Bobby Drake to fix everything.

Sort of.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Can you adjust the difficulty down and just cruise through the expeditions to get the suit?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BobTheJanitor posted:

Remedy's never had a really good track record on boss fights. Max Payne's bosses were basically just normal mooks but with like 10x the HP and a unique face texture. Alan Wake didn't really have any boss fights I can think of, outside of the imaginary Barry fight in the 2nd extra episode, and again that was just a normal fast Taken but with oodles of HP. Although really the boss fight was the terrible, terrible floating platforming section combined with Alan's wonky camera angle and unreliable jumping physics. Control has some of the most unique bosses they've ever tried (not a high bar to clear), and even then that's mostly the side quest bosses. All the rest were, surprise, normal enemies with a bigger HP bar.

At this point I'd be happier if they would just stop trying to do boss fights or even focus on combat much at all. They hit combat gold one time with Max Payne and those sweet bullet time effects. Everything since then has been barely functional at best. World building and storytelling are where they shine, just lean into that more and just let the combat be something easy and forgettable that comes between story beats.

Like Quantum Break? The only combat in that game that even APPROACHED difficult was the final boss, and once one figured out how to evade the death zones it was just as easy as the rest of the game.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

itry posted:

Man, that Maneki Neko shrine is trippy.

Seems like a cool interdimensional eye/spotlight thing.
But why did he/she/it attack me twice before? :argh: Or was that a relative?

Jesse was interfering with the Former by trying to take the Fridge and the Flamingo back. It was self defense.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 17, 2020

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There's some pretty obvious hooks in Quantum Break, too.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

My first instinct to encountering literally any object in this game was to try to launch it.

A good instinct.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Alan Wake cannot create things, he can use Already Existing Things to tell stories.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
All of these theories are probably true.

But also, they're probably not.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That's certainly an opinion, huh.

Anyway, the Ultimate Edition is $20 on the Xbox store and that's the one that's getting Smart Delivery so I got it. $20 seems high for an upgrade which should be free, but at least it's not $50. gently caress that.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

wiegieman posted:

Jesse was in the prime candidate program. She was surveiled almost constantly, but they let her run loose. She was the Control subject.

:hmmyes:

:golfclap:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Relin posted:

plot of quantum break seems like it ends before the real story begins

It was supposed to be the first season of a much longer story, but precious precious people didn't want to Xbox when there were games on the console with "no games."

We'll see some of it come up in Control or elsewhere in the Remedyverse.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kibayasu posted:

I mean, they haven’t ever done sequels since Max Payne because no game of theirs ever did well enough to get one.

Because people were precious about Xbox, yes. We've been over this.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Consoles are where most people play their games. I know there's a lot of PC folks in these here parts, but consoles are just more accessible.

Most console-havers have not, historically speaking, chosen Xbox. It is what it is.

Therefore, less people had the correct console to try out a Remedy's more recent work, like Alan Wake, American Nightmare, and Quantum Break. Why play a game no one was buzzing about unlike Sony's recent exclusive AAA experience, *insert any actual reason to buy a Sony console here*

They certainly weren't going to buy a baka gaijin console to try one game! (There's more than one, but they'll try to reframe the argument to justify their position.)

This isn't really about Console Wars or whatever, I'm just saying that the install base for Remedy fans was too low (because people were precious about Xbox) until they brought their stuff multiplatform.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Johnny Joestar posted:

i still don't know what 'precious about xbox' means and i kind of don't want to know

It means "too prissy and good for" in this context.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

slicing up eyeballs posted:

sure, I'll be that

ok

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I like this game except for all the things I don't like.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Alan Wake is cool and good and people who are cool and good think so, too.

His writing is bad on purpose, it's metacommentary on lovely popular books.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SirSamVimes posted:

Alan Wake is good. Control is good. Remedy is good.

Yes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Alan Wake, while a good good game, is a terrible writer and that's why he's been stuck for like ten years.

Famous/bestselling ≠ good.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
One expansion doesn't make Alan the star.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Oxxidation posted:

this keeps being said and it keeps being wrong. the game insists, often and repeatedly and with no contradiction from anyone except alan's psycho inner critic, that he is a transcendent writer whose creativity is sufficient to bend the entire world to his will

the blandness of his prose isn't a cute in-universe affectation, it's just the remedy writers themselves loving up

No, he's a bad writer who has reality warping powers.

Kibayasu posted:

Remedy definitely made a new game with entirely different characters, setting, and background for the sole reason to stealthily bring back Alan Wake in their place afterwards.

An Alan Wake-level feat.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Alan is bad but popular. When a bad thing becomes popular, it takes on a life of it's own in the collective unconscious. That is it's potential.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Nuts and Gum posted:

That’s fair, the launching mechanic is cool. But I would say it’s more impressive from an engine/technical perspective than gameplay.

Quantum Break had more innovative gameplay, too bad they baked a sega-cd game on top of it!

Yeah, but more people gave Control a shot, Control only improves on Quantum Break a little bit by replacing ability-specific cooldowns with a mana bar. And you had plenty of powers, you just couldn't spam the same one over and over.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

vanilla slimfast posted:

ok left and came back again after doing some other missions and finally got my points. weird.

also, the ashtray maze is loving amazing

Edit: don’t restart the Polaris mission to play the maze again, it will wipe out all your other side mission progress too, which in my case was...a lot 🤦‍♂️

There's a arcade game in a break room with the AWE expansion/Ultimate version that lets you replay the ashtray maze and a couple of other things.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

vanilla slimfast posted:

Yeah, I hadn’t gotten there yet and I wanted to show the maze to my wife, so I made a hasty decision. Lesson learned

The first time I played Tomassi I managed to beat him on my first try. Now going back through and trying again and he is handily kicking my rear end :argh:

edit: seriously, gently caress mr tomassi

Tomassi is the worst.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, that's the one.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

vanilla slimfast posted:

I’m specifically referring to Tomassi 2 as the chapter I “restarted” was Polaris

Many more attempts, still haven’t beaten him but have gotten close a few times

It's harder for bad guys to find and get you if you're hiding under the stairs in the corners of the rooms, up near the top. The only ones who will be able to really get you are the exploding ones, the invisible ones, and Tomassi himself. The invisible ones are harder to see with the stairs and the camera.

If you don't stay on top of the minions, you will catch some AOE damage from a minion and not be able to dodge away. You have to have good aim to compensate.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
PlayStation is haram. What about Xbox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

Like most games with a crafting system, this game does not need a crafting system