Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Omi no Kami posted:

Are any of the Launch secondary abilities worth getting? The only ones that look remotely useful are Launch Strength and the one that lets me hover 3 objects, but I've heard that strength tends to make you lift big, slow objects when you want tiny fast ones, and multi-launch is super expensive.

The big bonus to getting triple launch is that your energy regens at half speed while holding something.

Grab three things, duck behind cover until energy is full, then step out and launch those three things into some poor dude's head and instantly follow up with another triple launch.

I had it in time for the second Former fight and the poor bastard could only shift positions once before the neverending barrage of rocks killed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

FlamingLiberal posted:

Would not shock me if the next game switches between Alan and Jesse segments

Optional dungeons are just Alan writing in an upgrade and using the dungeon to justify getting it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Well I fully upgraded all my weapons so I threw the rest of my mats into mod crafting.

I got Damage VI and Heal on Launch VI. :getin:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Kobal2 posted:

I had no idea you could enslave Orbs. This is going to make things *so* much simpler.

Orbs also heal any other Seized enemies you have, and the healing vastly outpaces their natural decay.

The absolute second you see an enemy with a heal marker you should ignore everything else and find the orb.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Kibayasu posted:

Another thing I’m remembering as I’m replaying. Corrupted Samples became an extremely important resource that you could run out of before getting everything that needed it, or at least you would only get extremely rarely. Does anyone know if that been changed with the various DLC and patches?

I think enemies in Expeditions can drop any material, but beyond that you just have to pray an alert pops where the mat is set to drop or otherwise hope to run into a fight while exploring.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

At least it wasn't in the final stretch of the game like it was in Metal Gear Revengeance when I found out that each enemy wasn't supposed to take multiple minutes to defeat and I should have been upgrading my weapons all game :doh:

Health upgrades aren't that important, since you're still made of glass even with max health.

Put some into Energy and then beeline for multi-launch instead. :getin:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

Shield is kinda lame, you can't really do anything once a shield is up.... oh, you can upgrade it to throw your shield at fools? :getin:

..... mother of God....

And you can upgrade it so dashing into enemies does damage, and letting energy regen while the shield is up.

Control loves power spikes.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I think the best moment in AWE is stumbling upon a chain letter.

Jesse jokes for a bit, then realizes that a chain letter in the Bureau means she should probably go send off some copies ASAP.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

Finished up The Foundation, man I love this game and I can't wait for Jesse vs. The Board whenever they make a sequel.

Is there ever an explicit admission of what happened to Northmoor? I've found plenty of contextual stuff to make me figure I have a good sense of what happened, but the only time Jesse ever got to ask somebody directly about it they immediately clammed up. I'm assuming that he went so far all-in on binding objects/doing the Board's bidding that he essentially became a walking fusion reactor and they were just lucky enough that he was onboard with the idea (hell, he may have volunteered) of becoming part of The Oldest House as the power plant/sarcophagus - almost a Chernobyl parallel, in fact?

Also, I assume based on stuff I saw around The Oldest House that Ash's reputation survived his chilly relationship with Northmoor, since there's a quote by him enshrined on one of the walls in I think the Research Sector?

I think it was less 'volunteered' and more 'if he doesn't get in the box everything explodes'.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been wondering for a while if the addition of multi-launch coincided with another tier of upgraded launch damage based on how fast I could tear through late-game bosses. It's not a complaint, I had much more fun taking them out this time than in the past where I'd need enough tries to get frustrated.

:hmmyes:

Looking at CJacobs' post a few pages back:

CJacobs posted:

There used to be, but the DLC updates added another another row of skill upgrades and some more levels for existing skills, and even a new skill to spend points on, so I'm not sure it's possible anymore.

(Before)

(After)

The bottom one is my own screenshot having completed both DLCs 100% with the achievements for finding every 'hidden area'.

They did add in another tier of launch damage, and the fact that you need every tier of launch damage for multi-launch means just the act of getting it gives you insane damage.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Honestly, you don't even need to throw the first rock to bait a dodge. Just take a few shots and they'll do the same thing, saving you precious rock throwing energy.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm gonna have to reread all the spoilers after I beat them game. I just got the P7 outfit and haven't done many sidequests--just the fridge. I felt bad for that guy. And I fell through the floor and died half a dozen times fighting the fog light monster .

Is it just me or is Seize not very useful? I'm sure it would be moreso if I put a lot of points into it, but that's a lot of XP just to unlock "Do this fast enough that you don't get hit by a rocket while trying to do it"

Seize a heal orb and you're pretty much unkillable while you have it.

If you have any other mobs Seized, the orb will also heal them and outpace the natural decay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Also Seizing a heal orb gives you constant regen, and completely negates the health drain on other Seized enemies until the orb dies.