Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Kill All Humans posted:

Is it just me or is the aiming in this game kinda jittery and imprecise? Maybe I'm just bad but it feels much more difficult to click heads than in any other shooter I've played.

On PC, there are aim assist settings for controller and mouse. On by default for controller. Off by default for mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I don't mind exclusive content that's purely cosmetic, but stuff that actually contributes to the overall setting and backstory being randomly exclusive to one particular platform is pretty lame.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

So in Containment, after the main quest takes you through the Panopticon you can go back and there's a Traffic Light that kicks you back out of the room its in when it changes to red.

Any hints on dealing with this? I can't seem to find the trick to it.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

SterlingSylver posted:

Do you have a mission from Langstrom to cleanse it? Have you ever played footsteps irl? Red light green light?

I do. I had at first guessed it was a game of red light / green light but guess I'm just lousy at it!

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Astrognome posted:

The other thing I'm wondering is how close to the end of the main quest I am: I'm at the point where I'm supposed to investigate the potential candidate program after talking to Dylan. It feels like I'm pretty close to the end, is this a good time to run around doing side quests before finishing?

I'm not done yet, but having just done that bit, there's definitely more main quest to go afterwards. You'll visit several new areas before being send back to Research where it looks like there's another similarly sized chunk of new map area to cover.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

fadam posted:

This game is very good, but imagine how much better it would be if the devs had the confidence to not include stupid random loot/crafting aids.

The crafting system does feel very tacked-on and clunky. The "craft a random item of level X" even more so.

The modules can be kinda nice, but once you're a ways into the game the bulk of the time a new module is no better than or only slightly better than one you already have.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

:rock: The Ashtray Maze. :rock:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I know. Holy poo poo.

"That. Was. Awesome." - Jesse Faden

Can't argue with that. Perhaps the most metal thing I've experienced in gaming in I don't know how long...

Love that you get the soundtrack as a collectible.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Pros: Loved pretty much everything about this game. The world, the visuals, the gameplay, the story, characters and overall presentation. The perfect length without ever overstaying its welcome. It all ruled.

Cons: I can't believe Jesse only gets this AMAZING pantsuit once you've already done everything! Also no NG+ plans from Remedy yet.

Well, the suit from the Luck lab is as nice or nicer imho, though it is true that it does not come with a black pyramid hairpin like the Director's suit...

I finished (everything but the obnoxious mold boss and the collect-the-items-from-the-missing-ranger-team quest, I believe) and massively enjoyed the experience. Some of the boss battles were a little annoying, but thankfully they were all reasonably near a checkpoint, and by the end of the game, upgraded, and into the groove of shooting, TK-throwing, floating, etc, feels pretty awesome.

Nice solid game. Had a lot of fun.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

The second Dr Tommasi fight was incredibly hard. It wasn’t much the boss itself, it was being swarmed by the ghostly weird shape shifter hiss that appear out of smoke and blast you at point blank. They’d just destroy me. It took about 6 tries. I’m maxed out on health and maxed grade V health and pickup mods and barely squeezed out the win. It’s a side mission at least.

On that one, what finally worked for me was to climb up to the catwalk along the back wall of the room and setup shop there. Gives you much better visibility when the swooping / exploding enemies spawn. The shape shifter thing can still pop up up there, but you're a lot less likely to be surprised by it or be backed up against a big rock with nowhere to run.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I'm okay with Jesse being a bit of a glass cannon. She's not wearing armor. She's got crazy TK powers and a strange futureweapon that really dish out the damage. So being a bit squishy is reasonable to me, seeing as otherwise she's just a person, often massively outnumbered.

My big grumble is lack of cues when additional enemies spawn in mean that sometimes you've got things under control and suddenly you get hit by multiple rockets or swarmed by hiss who weren't there a moment ago and there wasn't much opportunity to learn that they were turning up.

The shield actually is pretty useful for "oh poo poo projectile about to hit me" situations and I regret not using it more, earlier in the game.

A common tactic that proved useful in a number of battles was to get up to higher ground where ground-spawning enemies couldn't swarm me as easily and I had better visibility for floaty enemies -- if you can look out across the whole room and keep the groundlings and floaters in view and an eye on the boss that's way easier than dodging around cover on the ground with no idea where everyone is until they're suddenly on top of you.

Regarding the Prey comparison: I feel like both games have an amazing sense of place, a fun sci-fi backstory, and a ton of environmental storytelling. Control seems to have a pacing problem with its media based material where you have to stop and stand still to listen/watch it and individual pieces can run several minutes. I love the background material but wish I could listen to at least the audio clips without having to stop moving through the world.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

The cue is the music. If the combat music is playing there are still bad guys.

I get that.

I mean, I'm in the middle of a boss fight, dealing with the boss, and with some guys running around... oh and suddenly 5 flying explody guys teleport in from nowhere... oh and then there are guys up in the rafters shooting rockets at me who weren't there a moment ago...

There aren't really any good indicators that things just got a lot more crowded with baddies.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

f#a# posted:

Boy, that last gauntlet sure soured me on the game. Shoulda done more side quests I suppose.

But hey, they at least have the decency to retain every attempts' psybucks and assets so that's cool.

I had pretty much everything but melee combat maxxed out and I still died a couple times in that final gauntlet. It was just long and there were lots of enemies and no shortage of platforms to miss a jump for. Frustrating.

By comparison the Ashtray Maze was one of those wonderful experiences where my skill and character abilities were a near perfect fit for the challenge, and apart from a little bit of a slowdown dealing with the Named Baddie in the middle the pacing was awesome and made me feel like a complete badass. The soundtrack was icing on the cake.

I wish they could have delivered one or two experiences on that level.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Attestant posted:

I ran around in the golden suit for the rest of the game as soon as I got it.

Same, except that I wore the janitor's uniform through the Ashtray Maze...

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Attestant posted:

I had to drop to around medium DX11 settings with my 1070Ti @ 1440p. That got me running at 45-60 FPS. The game seems either pretty demanding, or very picky about hardware setups.

I ended up going with mostly-high settings, but turning off local reflections and dropping the render surface from 1440p to 1080p to go from ~45fps to ~75fps on my GTX1070 against a 1440p display. Control seems to represent a step up where the 1070 no longer handles just about anything I throw at it...

Half tempted to pick up a RTX2070 except I'm not excited about having to upgrade from Win7 to Win10 and it sounds like there's stability and stuttering issues with the fancy high end ray tracing stuff too?

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Man, still processing the ending of Control. I still have no idea what’s going on, but man the office assistant segment was pretty nightmarish.

Like, I don’t want to look down on anyone who does that kind of work but it was pretty deflating after spending so much time in a multi-layer woman’s power fantasy. So a second I thought “oh no it was all a dream” and couldn’t decide what was worse between losing psychic powers or losing your status as a boss lady

I think exquisite tea pretty much nailed it with:

exquisite tea posted:

When you really think about it, Control is just an analogy for how millennial women overcome their impostor syndrome in traditionally male-dominated workplaces.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

a kitten posted:

Never even heard of this until yesterday and it looks like it's right up my alley, i'm hoping for some input on what platform to buy it on so i can stop waffling about it and maybe start playing.

I've got a ps4 pro and giant tv, and also a pc with (what used to be) a reasonably beefy graphics card. In general i like playing 3rd person action-y games with a controller on the console (Nier:A, DMC, BloodSouls etc) and FPSs and the like on the PC with keyboard and mouse. There's exceptions all over the place of course, and i do have an xbox controller for the pc, but like i said: in general that's the deal.

Here's what "can i run it?" said about my system, seems i'm starting to lag on processor speed and RAM

My Win7 gaming box is an i7-4790 (similar specs, one generation newer than your CPU) with 16GB ram and an 8GB GTX1070 and with the graphics settings dialed back just a bit from the highest (turned off screen space reflections, film grain, and I think turned down shadow quality a bit) it does ~70fps at 1080p. I suspect the processor is not going to be a worry, not sure if the 8GB system memory will an issue.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

haveblue posted:

Where do you go to see the silhouette of Northmoor inside the generator? I looked around the control room in the postgame but every monitor just had some variation of "all good now"

There are some consoles on one of the upper levels of the NSC itself...

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Yeah, my read was along the lines of the path of least resistance to plug into the control point travel network was to use the dominant ritual and due to the malleability of belief / function / purpose / etc in the oldest house, the *shape* of the apparatus was more essential than its actual *function*.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

There’s also some dialogue between Jesse and Emily where Jesse asks “hey, so, uh, do control points usually let you teleport?” And Emily goes “What? No! Can you do that!?”

I somehow missed that, but I love that it's there. Because *of course* fast travel is an in-world thing here, not just a game mechanic.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nkXLkMU7j0

The “Yes” at the end is wonderfully ominous because it reminds me of the Hebrew in the Old Testament. What gets translated into English as “For you shall surely die” was literally “For you shall die, yes, die” in Hebrew

I approve of the board's carrot/stick approach:

< We provide/offer better Bonus Package/Health Plan >
< If you leave >
< you will be sorry/dead >
< and you will never work/exist >
< in this Torn/Cosmic Reality again >
< Yes >

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Control is the first game in long time I've started a replay in under a year after playing.

It's kinda fun being back to just the service weapon, then just that and Throw, and being able to revisit all the story bits.

Tommasi v1 took a pile of tries in my original game and he went down pretty quickly in this new one.

As a bonus, I upgraded my gaming machine, so it's running at 2560x1440 at 70+fps all the stops out and looks amazing. It was even more amazing with raytracing but only 30-40fps with everything dialed up and kinda stuttery, so back to DX11 for me.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

acksplode posted:

I hate this so much!! I really want to replay the opening few hours but I'm not gonna obliterate my progress to do that

I backed up my save files before my restart, so if I fail to get back to similar post-game state by the time the DLC arrives, I can (hopefully) just restore it...

The fact that they don't let you traverse the ashtray maze multiple times in one game is just mean though.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

el oso posted:

Will you eventually get a power to open those doors that look like blast doors with glue or something around the edges? I'm exploring fairly late in the game and seeing a ton of them and wondering if I should wait until I can open those or if you ever can open them at all.

Those doors are not something you will be able to open, at least as the game exists today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Krazyface posted:

Wait, what?

I went there briefly the other day, found a pair of mods, then left, because I had only just arrived in Research and I wanted to get to a control point before I wandered too far.

Am I locked out of stuff now?

Sorry, I explained this badly. At a certain point in the game you will gain the ability to successfully traverse the ashtray maze. Doing so is pretty awesome. Sadly, after that first time, if you travel through it again, the game just kind of fast-forwards you through.

< Do Not Panic/Fret Unduly >