Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just finished up in the power plant and only just realized I had access to health and combat upgrades through a control point :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

But it's a really good feeling when suddenly realize that and you can just blast through a bunch of upgrades at once, so really, you're the winner in this situation :homebrew:

At least it wasn't in the final stretch of the game like it was in Metal Gear Revengeance when I found out that each enemy wasn't supposed to take multiple minutes to defeat and I should have been upgrading my weapons all game :doh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shield is kinda lame, you can't really do anything once a shield is up.... oh, you can upgrade it to throw your shield at fools? :getin:

Mymla posted:

My first weapon upgrade in MGRR was after the first boss in NG+ :downs:

..... mother of God....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I am a KB+M evangelist normally for PC games, but this game really plays well with a controller. You can also avoid the above bullshittery with a controller, but I agree that bullshit shouldn't be coded in the game in the first place.

I've actually had the opposite reaction, I find aiming with a controller an exercise in frustration but usually most modern releases have taken it into account and try to adjust for it - with Control I found trying to aim with the controller incredibly frustrating and switched to KB/M. I should probably just ignore the "nooo don't do this!" message on selecting aim assist in the menu and go back to a controller.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 9, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah when I first started playing, Jesse only had the service weapon so I was using that to fight: now I'm mostly using launch or mind control and precise aiming isn't as important.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sorry Philip I tried to get to you before the fridge did :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The "spare footage" film of researchers awkwardly not making eye contact and struggling to smile naturally or look comfortable, or just to do their loving work without that rear end in a top hat with a camera being around is so great.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 11, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I listened to Langston's entire speech ending with him calling his old cat an rear end in a top hat and I don't regret it for a second :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I just hit a brick wall on that fight myself. Loving the Alan Wake stuff, it's such a joy to see a continuation of that story, but getting stuck trying to levitate past a wall, seeing his shield go from a quarter back up to full while waiting to get my energy back, then having those loving explodey dudes show up all got just a bit too annoying for me to deal with anymore for today.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I have multi-launch, dropping his health and shield down aren't too problematic, it's just when I mistime staggering him before he can shut down the lights or I get overrun by Hiss it takes me way too long to get the power back up and his shield has regenerated, then I get mad and start making stupid moves trying to catch back up. I'll get it, I just hit a wall is all.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 13, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Mr. Bones episode with him screaming at her every time she responds during his fatherly chat about how everybody is different is a hell of a thing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This game can be really pretty sometimes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy poo poo Swole Darling in the multimedia section :vince:

And then in the hotel I finally figured out where the thread title comes from :allears:

Finished the main game, still have Foundation to do. What a blast, and I am super-pumped up for a sequel to this and ESPECIALLY for Alan Wake.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

Can be?? Sometimes???

Sometimes I have to stop playing and turn my computer off :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HMS Beagle posted:

I love how Jesse is just totally into all this poo poo that is happening.

Right towards the very end of the game where Jesse declares,"I AM the Director of the FBC" is such a :hellyeah: moment.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also, love it in the post-game when Jesse offers Pope the new role as Head of Research, and after she accepts Jesse admits,"Oh good, because I didn't have anybody else lined up for it!" :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

weekly font posted:

Jesse remembering the name of the movie is Shawshank Redemption as the first thing that happens post-main game absolutely slayed me.

God yes I loved that so much.

Also re: therapy, I was pretty bummed at the notion that the therapist was an FBC agent but later in the game one of the files you finds seems to strongly indicate to me at least that the therapy and the therapist were genuine, and the FBC just managed to get their hands on the records later.

Similarly, Jesse discovers in the P7 chamber that the FBC had her under surveillance, but there's at least one audio log where it seems clear that they also lost track of her multiple times and were desperate enough to try to mine Dylan for info that might find her.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Huh, was Underhill and the Pit always there in the base game and I just somehow managed to never go down there, or was it added in with the DLC?

Also, while trying to track down one of the roaming mold guys, I found a lab and turned on a radio to some rock music and it seemed to draw in a huge army of mold dudes, from memory it wasn't too far away from that test lab for people to sit in a giant room full of speakers playing The Old Gods of Asgard to "see what happens" :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I only found it because I got the quest from her, but I spoke to her frequently throughout the game and she never mentioned it till the postgame, so maybe there was some other trigger I missed.

I did keep wondering during the main game when I was going to find a way to get into the rooms with mold in them though, so at least I know now. Also while exploring around that area I found another Darling video I'd missed, this one him explaining that he was (I think?) going to climb inside the giant HRA to be with Hedron at the end - I love how for a chunk of the game I assumed that Darling was one of the heads of department that got corrupted by the Hiss, only to find out that the reason for all the Director's suspicions and fears were because HE was the initial person corrupted, and Darling was the one guy doing everything he could to save everybody else.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

When I first got to Underhill, the two guys outside her room said,"Hey don't go in there without checking with Underhill first!" and I first assumed that they were warning me to stay OUT of the room they were guarding and started to go another way, realized there was no sign of Underhill and so went back and checked the door and yep, there she was!

Also, love Jesse's musings on that questline: "Right, time to swallow the mold pill given to me by the rude lady!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh you actually get something for that dumb bullshit? gently caress.... guess I better do it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jesse: I'm the best qualified to handle this Altered Item!

The Altered Item in question:

:allears:

Also, Foundation spoilers, I love this goofy motherfucker a lot :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The one single "........ No." response during Jesse and Former's meeting on the Astral plane got a wonderful, unexpected laugh from me :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finished up The Foundation, man I love this game and I can't wait for Jesse vs. The Board whenever they make a sequel.

Is there ever an explicit admission of what happened to Northmoor? I've found plenty of contextual stuff to make me figure I have a good sense of what happened, but the only time Jesse ever got to ask somebody directly about it they immediately clammed up. I'm assuming that he went so far all-in on binding objects/doing the Board's bidding that he essentially became a walking fusion reactor and they were just lucky enough that he was onboard with the idea (hell, he may have volunteered) of becoming part of The Oldest House as the power plant/sarcophagus - almost a Chernobyl parallel, in fact?

Also, I assume based on stuff I saw around The Oldest House that Ash's reputation survived his chilly relationship with Northmoor, since there's a quote by him enshrined on one of the walls in I think the Research Sector?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This loving game :allears:

Also I found the note from Ash about meeting Ahti for the first time, it's somehow both charming and disconcerting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

Anyway, I'm now doing the very silly thing of putting Control down for the moment.... So that I can replay Alan Wake and play American Nightmare for the first time, cuz I want maximum context and to refresh my memory before jumping into AWE.

One thing that I always, always recommend with Alan Wake is that you play it episodically. At the end of each "episode" they'll play credits and I found leaving a day or more before going into the next episode really helped to keep the story beats strong but obfuscate that the gameplay is pretty samey.

The only issue is that the game had (or had, maybe they patched it) a weird auto-save thing where you had to exit out of the game far enough into the credits for it to have saved you completing the episode, but if you let the "Previously on Alan Wake..." segment start playing, it would make a new autosave at the very start of the next level whether you watched the full thing or not (and you really should watch the full thing).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm done! :woop:

Wait... I'm done? :sigh:

Long wait till Control 2 or Alan Wake 3(ish), I guess I'll play Quantum Break since I forgot all about it given it was initially a Windows Store (:lol:) exclusive and I ended up picking it up for super-cheap when it eventually arrived on Steam.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

Speaking of achievements, the one for getting five Bureau alerts keeps resetting for me. It's always 1/5 :argh:
You have to do them all in one session. Yes, I also discovered this the hard way :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

The lore behind the Moon AWE definitely put it into my head that Jesse is an alternate reality version of Dylan, who possibly didn’t even exist before the Slide Projector AWE, but definitely does exist now, and which one is more real or authentic is more of an academic question at this point than an important one

I know that quest is pretty light hearted (and way, way too simple) but the psychic horror of “we sent 3 astronauts to the moon, 4 came back and all 4 of them remember their always being 4” is so viscerally unsettling to me that I left some lights on as I went to bed that evening.

The stuff about none of them knowing his name and acknowledging there were only 3 seats but still insisting there were always 4 astronauts is really creepy.

I wonder how it would react to somebody who had been through the Mirror?

Speaking of which, I really dug finding two copies of the same recording thanks to the mirror and getting to hear both sides of the conversation.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also did I miss something or are there not enough skill points to get every skill in the game? When I finished I had 2 skill points left but needed 8 to complete the last two melee skills which I'd left till last.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

did you find every hidden area and side mission in base game, Foundation, and AWE?

The skill tree got updated with the DLCs, but you need to fully clear out both DLCs to get everything.

Yep, did everything, completed all achievements, found all hidden areas, did every side mission, found all collectibles etc. At least as far an any check I've done has been able to indicate, at least.

Edit: Oh wow, was multi-launch not in the base game?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

Ya'll are gonna feel really silly when Langston's cult of altered item worshippers tries to take over the FBC or accidentally summons an elder god or something.

Langston's Cat was LOOOOOOOOONG

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I always figured that was just meant to be a shorthand for the player upon first arriving in Investigations that the already weird FBC was gonna be even weirder down here. I don't specifically recall ever finding any research files or altered items that were specifically highlighted as causing the floating cloned furniture.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

failed a jukebox mission by one second

:suicide:

First time I did the shooting range mission early in the game I missed completing it by a split second. The voice recording says,"Training failed!" at exactly the same time as Jesse made it through the exit, and she immediately just shouts,"Oh COME ON!" :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My mindset with the airborne rangers was to throw a shitload of things at them, can't dodge if the air is made out of debris :smug:

The service weapon upgrade that lets you remote explode grenades (Charge?) was helpful too, because you could catch them in the blastwave if they tried to dodge.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One dynamite lady :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seize was also great against airborne enemies, because now they were working for you and using their dodge bullshit against other Hiss.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really didn't get the impression that Wake created the FBC or Jesse, more that he used their existence to help him write himself out of the hole he was in. If anything, the fact that Wake is mentioned in files as having been under surveillance as a future potential Director made Alan feel like he was just a smaller part of the bigger game world that Control sits at the center of.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

I had to do a quick mental doubletake and remember when the game came out, lol

Jesse clearing out the Hiss and then finding out there's been a Global Pandemic and they have to stay locked down after all :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Huh, yeah I never found that and I have the Steam Ultimate Edition. Thought I'd done everything there was to do too.