Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I'm running this on a 1060 and the new nvidia drivers did not make a noticable difference for me. Is this just performance increases in RTX stuff? I'm on DirectX 12 but only have RTX debris enabled and it runs pretty okay, even if not at a solid 60.

As for the game, I am very much liking it so far--it almost reminds me of, like, Evil Within 2, just with a bit more power fantasy rather than survival horror. Combat feels meaty enough to matter but your health can really drop in an instant, which creates this weird thing where you need to run back to where you originally chipped some health elements off the enemy before re-engaging. Not sure I like this more than simple regenerating health.

I do like how this game supports relatively non-linear play. I just finished Maintenance and the game really opens up, so I went off the beaten path and sure enough, found some difficult but not impossible quests and powerups. Curious to see if there's any sequence breaking you can do.

Also, for anyone who particularly likes the setting, maybe consider reading some of SCP Foundation entries (bonus: just read some of the top rated ones).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

space marine todd posted:

Dumb question but how do you switch the shoulder perspective for aiming down sight?

R on keyboard...not sure on controller.

Psychepath posted:

So I only played to the first save point on PC, but what's going on with the horrific motion blur and objects and lighting loading in way after the camera's pointed at them, but in the white space there was no blur at all? Is this stylistic and it goes away or is this just gonna give me a headache if I keep going?

Upscaling your render resolution will make it crisper, but the motion blur is kinda baked into their AA strategy as far as I can tell. I prefer the look with MSAA off for once.

Objects appearing once in frame is definitely not stylistic, sounds like a GPU problem? Try changing your LOD settings too.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

GlenMR posted:

I don't think that my question is a spoiler, but just in case:

I am confused by the purple mold. I think I've made a decent amount of progress through the story, but I haven't found a way to clear it or survive it. Have I missed something, or is it coming later?

There's a whole sub-basement filled with mold, but traversible, with quests and stuff. It's at the bottom of an elevator shaft in Research, but it had level 6 enemies and I was way outclassed there. Maybe try that?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

Blackfyre posted:

Finally now I can ask my question without it being drowned by arguing goons.

[is the game good?]

I'm having a pretty good time with it, it's definitely up there for what I've played that came out this year. Its strengths are definitely in its setting (whether that's the very strong collectible writing or top-tier environmental storytelling and attention to detail), but the combat isn't too much of a slouch either. Feels pretty drat good to chuck every possible object and witness the Hiss explosions or environmental destruction associated with it. This game has particles out the wazoo.

There are some finnicky aspects to it, like rather undercooked animations and a terrible map for the amount of backtracking you do, but if setting and presentation are your thing, it's a good bet.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

Boy, that last gauntlet sure soured me on the game. Shoulda done more side quests I suppose.

But hey, they at least have the decency to retain every attempts' psybucks and assets so that's cool.