Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

GoutPatrol posted:

They would have spoiled bolt first over everything else if true.

Wouldn't Priest ruin your own vials or at that point in the game it doesn't matter?

it’s a hate card that you bring in against something like neobrand. It doesn’t fundamentally change the deck it’s just a cute toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Looking forward to playing Azusa in Historic with Crucible, Ghost Quarter and Fabled Passage.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 6, 2020

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tainen posted:

lol no bolt

look, its a MH1 reprint

Amazing to me that a card from Modern Horizons, the set of "we like these designs but think they're too good and/or complex for Standard" already has a Standard reprint. MH1 isn't even a year old yet!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Well, mh1 started as Future Sight 2 and got backfilled with a bunch of effects that were pushing various limits, and this includes stuff as marginal as 'instant speed sift'.

There was a long period where I thought 2u for an instant that drew two, discarded one was too strong because I'd never seen Catalog between its original printing and shadows block.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
There were a lot of discard cards revealed today (teferi + better psychic corrosion that loots + the apprentice), masticore, lilli, and that instant sift card. Idk probably just a coincidence but maybe they'll be having some more graveyard-focused mechanics (adding Tormod's Crypt might be evidence of that, but it also might just be there to hit catoven).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

C-Euro posted:

Amazing to me that a card from Modern Horizons, the set of "we like these designs but think they're too good and/or complex for Standard" already has a Standard reprint. MH1 isn't even a year old yet!

it's not like that was true of every card

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Trying to brainstorm up a Historic BW lifegain deck and I don't know what key cards to be looking for. Soul Warden and Daxos for sure, Serra Ascendant and Healer's Hawk for board presence, Ajani's Pridemate and Vito for payoffs. Bloodthirsty Aerialist is probably too hard to fit unless you skip Ajani and Conclave Tribunal in favour of Ancient Ziggurats maybe?

Or just splash B just for Vito and maybe Duress and hard removal and play it like Mono W Life Gain with reach.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
bad deal? more like bad card am i right?!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

C-Euro posted:

I wonder how much of MH1 would be busted in the context of current standard without the banlist.

Then again, it's bizarre to contemplate what their standard testing for this set looks like. Did they decide on bans while it was in the pipeline? Or did they have some sort of Oko-Companions-Fires nightmare format to test?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tainen posted:

i could see that being pretty good in some old slower formats.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
also the whole dumb argument about indulging patrician is hilarious because the patrician is the one indulging, not being indulgent

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tainen posted:

at that cmc, it’s a bad deal

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ungulateman posted:

Well, mh1 started as Future Sight 2 and got backfilled with a bunch of effects that were pushing various limits, and this includes stuff as marginal as 'instant speed sift'.

There was a long period where I thought 2u for an instant that drew two, discarded one was too strong because I'd never seen Catalog between its original printing and shadows block.

did you skip 8th edition, too?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

No Wave posted:

I think ramp that draws a card on ETB with zero synergy required is weak design because it doesn't do anything fun or promote any sort of specific deckbuilding yet gets you ahead in multiple uninteresting ways. If Visionary was GGG I would like it and think it was cool but it is 2G.

But my guess is 2021 in general will end up broken enough that this card will be an unplayable so this might as well be an abstract objection.

It's a core set common that does two green things, that happens to resemble green things that are top tier right now.

Azusa is in the set.

Chill.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

it's not like that was true of every card

Oh yeah for sure, but the delta between the most busted and most tame cards in that set is very very large. That's probably true of every set though.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Arivia posted:

did you skip 8th edition, too?

There's a 15 year gap between 8th edition and Shadows.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Found the alt art of the new Chandra, courtesy of the Rochester PD

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Found the alt art of the new Chandra, courtesy of the Rochester PD

Definetly legendary

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
That would make a sick alter on a Chandra card for sure

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
text swap that from rochester PD to azorius senate and it's a wrap

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Is it a dick move if you contact a LGS 2 days ago to ask when they were doing preorders for M21 and they tell you that they would be doing them starting next week but then you find out they started taking them yesterday? :mad:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Is it a dick move if you contact a LGS 2 days ago to ask when they were doing preorders for M21 and they tell you that they would be doing them starting next week but then you find out they started taking them yesterday? :mad:

Never ascribe to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

So could you not pre-order?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tainen posted:

I don't care how bad it is, gently caress you if you think i'm not jamming The Handshake From Predator in every deck that can run it

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Sickening posted:

So could you not pre-order?

Not a booster box since those sold out, prerelease kits they supposedly have but they haven't been picking up their phone.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tainen posted:

I've learned that any card that forces me to discard two cards fucks me up, no matter what the mana cost. So I respect this card.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Tainen posted:

This’ll be fun to get wrecked by in limited out of nowhere.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Bad Deal is a sealed powerhouse.

Deal from strength or get crushed every time.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Bad Deal is a sealed powerhouse.

Deal from strength or get crushed every time.

Yeah there was a blue one from NPH that I have/had in my cube and it was always good.

KenjiKaizoku
Oct 21, 2008
https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=218085

Ah, Mindculling. Basically Bad Deal but 5U instead of 4BB, and without the life loss for the opponents. Oh, and Bad Deal affects all opponents instead of targeting one, so it's a pretty significant upgrade. Still, mostly just a card for cube and limited.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I know anything above 5 cmc is usually a bad deal in magic but man is that card going to sting in limited. That’s better than most of the ultimatums

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

house of the dad posted:

I know anything above 5 cmc is usually a bad deal in magic but man is that card going to sting in limited. That’s better than most of the ultimatums

It is funny how its a very powered down version of cruel ultimatum.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

That is going to be a loving knockout haymaker in your 2HG sealed pool.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

How many cards do you think your opponent is going to have in hand on turn 8 or whatever

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If they have any, they'll be exactly the cards you're happy to have dealt with before they cast them.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Paul Zuvella posted:

How many cards do you think your opponent is going to have in hand on turn 8 or whatever

I agree that it could be a bit narrow in draft too, the floor of 6 mana draw 2 - deal 2 damage isn't too hot.

It seems like a great sideboard card though if your opponent is playing midrange/control and you care about the card advantage and can capitalize on top deck mode.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Don’t we already have a black spell that uncounterably exiles all noncreatures from your hand at 6 mana? And that sees basically zero play?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I've played it! To grab from the sideboard with Fae of Wishes in a bo1 Fires list.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Tap, Put a page counter on ~: scry 1

2, Tap, Put a page counter on ~: draw 1

Whenever ~ has 4 or more page counters on it, exile it. If you do, gain 4 life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Creature - Whale (Uncommon)

Creatures your opponent controls get -1/-0.

1U, discard ~: Look at the top two cards of your library. Put one of them into your hand and the other into your graveyard.