Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Narset downtick is so much better than Teferi uptick + downtick and she starts with enough loyalty to do it twice. Double uptick isn't bad but a worse version of Dack's uptick doesn't seem that insane at 4 mana. I could still see Teferi making it into some decks but it's absolutely nowhere near the power level of either of the previous Teferis.

I'm open to the idea that we're undervaluing the flexibility of having two activations at instant speed, even though we know that's powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Narset downtick is so much better than Teferi uptick + downtick and she starts with enough loyalty to do it twice. Double uptick isn't bad but a worse version of Dack's uptick doesn't seem that insane at 4 mana. I could still see Teferi making it into some decks but it's absolutely nowhere near the power level of either of the previous Teferis.

Thank loving god for that tbh

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The Clowner posted:

Didn't see these posted:

"Spoopy Scythe" {1}{B}

Artifact — Equipment

“Spoopy Scythe” enters the battlefield with a soul counter on it.

Equipped creature gets +1/+1 for each soul counter on “Spoopy Scythe”.

Whenever equipped creature dies, put a soul counter on “Spoopy Scythe”.

Equip {1} ({1}: Attach to target creature you control. Equip only as a sorcery.)

"Playhem Devil" {4}{R}

Creature — Devil

Whenever you sacrifice a permanent, “Playhem Devil” deals 1 damage to any target.

5/5

Scythe is interesting, like perhaps you can build a deck around attacking with just the equipped creature and attaching the growing scythe to the next guy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Scythe is way way too weak to ever see constructed play. A better way to do that concept is with Ozolith.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Ithle01 posted:

New Teferi not giving card advantage, but giving you what is basically Faithless Looting every turn is pretty drat good and being able to phase out creatures at instant speed is definitely going to be a gently caress you to a lot of decks. Not really liking this, but at least it's better than 3eferi.

I am sure the rules changed in the last 20 years since I last thought about phasing.

But I seem to remember that if you phased something out during their clean-up step or something like that it stayed phased out for two turns or something.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

ScottyJSno posted:

I am sure the rules changed in the last 20 years since I last thought about phasing.

But I seem to remember that if you phased something out during their clean-up step or something like that it stayed phased out for two turns or something.

I think I skipped the part of magic history where phasing was a thing because I stopped roughly around Urza's Saga or soon after and didn't restart until Arena so I have to no idea how phasing works, but I am 100% certain agro decks will loving hate the instant speed non-cast phasing ability.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I really don't think an aggro deck will be sad for their opponent to cast Time Master on 4.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

No Wave posted:

I really don't think an aggro deck will be sad for their opponent to cast Time Master on 4.

I've seen a lot more azorious lately in Arena, but that could just be me, and azorious is pretty good at stalling out agro

edit: I'm also seeing more red embercleave too and that's the match I'm thinking of.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 7, 2020

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
phasing is 'when this phases out, ignore it and everything attached to it until it phases back in.' there used to be weirdness with tokens and equipment but that's all it is now. imagine you're putting a coaster over it and removing the coaster if it helps; nothing about it 'leaves' or 'comes back,' it just has its existence ignored

if something is phased out, it phases back in before untaps on the untap step on its owner's turn. there's no shenanigans for making it last longer than that without just targeting it again with teferi

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
With phasing and sagas both in standard, we will have more turn based actions than ever before. We're just missing one. The cowards at wizards won't print any schemes in standard.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

flatluigi posted:

phasing is 'when this phases out, ignore it and everything attached to it until it phases back in.' there used to be weirdness with tokens and equipment but that's all it is now. imagine you're putting a coaster over it and removing the coaster if it helps; nothing about it 'leaves' or 'comes back,' it just has its existence ignored

if something is phased out, it phases back in before untaps on the untap step on its owner's turn. there's no shenanigans for making it last longer than that without just targeting it again with teferi

Sorry you are right.

I was thinking of Astral Slide. - Whenever a player cycles a card, you may exile target creature. If you do, return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.

If you cycled during the end step it would only come back during the next end step.

And all that if completely different from phase.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/reidduke/status/1269368616979443712?s=21

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Do they mean stream sniping?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

can't wait for matt nass to get banned for this

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

I know they're hoping people would use the honor system regarding this but how would they even know what's going on in the privacy in your own home unless they set up some type of monitoring equipment in each home

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

I know they're hoping people would use the honor system regarding this but how would they even know what's going on in the privacy in your own home unless they set up some type of monitoring equipment in each home

Introducing WotC’s new kernel level MtG surveillance software

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

Do they mean stream sniping?

I think they mean playing your match with your two buddies sitting over your shoulder talking over decisions and calling out lines you might not have otherwise seen.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Ghosting = stream sniping in this context, yes.

Ghosting in video games is getting information you shouldn't have, named because of FPS mechanics where players attach to the POV of their killer or another player after death, and then can feed that info to someone else.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's gonna be an unpopular opinion, but revealing your hand to your opponent is a legal action, if you opt to reveal your hand publicly (i.e. streaming) it's no different than playing with your hand face-up on the table; unless willfully revealing private information is disallowed in tournament rules ghosting shouldn't be punishable and is the fault of the streamer for revealing that information in the first place. Per IPG 6.3 "...Note that, in general, players are allowed to reveal information that is hidden to their opponents unless is it explicitly banned by the rules of the game or format"

That said, that's clearly not going to jive with Wizards' desire to dominate twitch, but I have no idea how they're going to enforce this.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Some Goon posted:

It's gonna be an unpopular opinion, but revealing your hand to your opponent is a legal action, if you opt to reveal your hand publicly (i.e. streaming) it's no different than playing with your hand face-up on the table; unless willfully revealing private information is disallowed in tournament rules ghosting shouldn't be punishable and is the fault of the streamer for revealing that information in the first place. Per IPG 6.3 "...Note that, in general, players are allowed to reveal information that is hidden to their opponents unless is it explicitly banned by the rules of the game or format"

Someone playing the game on stream is pretty clearly not intending to reveal their hand to their opponent, you numpty.

Your opponent in a paper game is generally revealing their hand to the people standing behind them, but you'll still get banned if you get a friend of yours to stand there and tell you what they have.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I imagine this is supposed to handle the case where one streamer explicitly tells his viewers during a stream to report the hand of an opponent who also happens to be a streamer. Could also be for randos who recognize a streamer and spy on their stream but there's no way to enforce any penalties for that

Also "stream" and "streamer"are no longer words for me now

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Ithle01 posted:

I think I skipped the part of magic history where phasing was a thing because I stopped roughly around Urza's Saga or soon after and didn't restart until Arena so I have to no idea how phasing works, but I am 100% certain agro decks will loving hate the instant speed non-cast phasing ability.

Phasing was first in Mirage in ‘96, lemme tell how much fun THAT release tournament was as a Jr. High school student (phasing was real fun coming outta nowhere ugh).

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Slimy Reinforcements.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The Clowner posted:

I imagine this is supposed to handle the case where one streamer explicitly tells his viewers during a stream to report the hand of an opponent who also happens to be a streamer. Could also be for randos who recognize a streamer and spy on their stream but there's no way to enforce any penalties for that

Also "stream" and "streamer"are no longer words for me now

i say "twitcher" personally

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
toss a bit to your twitcher

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I sort of always assumed that streamers competing for cash prizes weren’t allowed to have chat and am blown away that this is a thing and people aren’t considered cheating pieces of poo poo for doing it like holy hell, you’ve got people reading your opponents hand and feeding you hidden info? What the gently caress?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Bust Rodd posted:

I sort of always assumed that streamers competing for cash prizes weren’t allowed to have chat and am blown away that this is a thing and people aren’t considered cheating pieces of poo poo for doing it like holy hell, you’ve got people reading your opponents hand and feeding you hidden info? What the gently caress?

Remember how not even two days ago, this thread could not understand why streamers tend to say "we"? lol

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I had always assumed those were ladder games and that no one would ever compete for money if everyone else was cheating. I honestly don’t think I even really understand this.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
Imagine not being forced to stream competition with a several minute delay

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Katana Gomai posted:

Remember how not even two days ago, this thread could not understand why streamers tend to say "we"? lol

streamers are not saying 'we' because their chat is going off and stream sniping people lmao

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Given the quality of most twitch chats, I would say having it on is a net disadvantage, especially if there’s any delay in the stream at all

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
streamers say 'we' because popular streams get popular by building a community and the easiest way to get people to come back is to, like, talk to them & involve them with what you're doing. obviously the chats get worse and worse as they get bigger, but by that point the streamers who care about quality will get people to moderate and the streamers who don't care will just let everyone run rampant. continuing to interact with chat just keeps happening through habits and inertia by then

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

flatluigi posted:

streamers are not saying 'we' because their chat is going off and stream sniping people lmao

No, but some say "we" because they feel like they are commanding some sort of army, especially in online games. Also, is was a joke.

Most streamers claim that they frown up "backseat gaming", but I don't think very many of them complain if chat points out something they missed. If I recall correctly, there even were some cases of people admitting on Twitter that others have "coached" them to high tournament results. To be fair, that has been a thing on MTGO way before Twitch even existed. I can't remember if the admittance led to some sort of repercussion.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 7, 2020

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I snipe crokeyz all the time because the first time I played him and won then watched the vod, he was such a dickhead and super rude the whole time. He was certain because I didn’t play into a sweeper I was sniping and not because, you know, he had lil tef upticked into 4 mana when he was facing lethal onboard

Now I am sniping you, every time

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tommu posted:

Imagine not being forced to stream competition with a several minute delay

:zenpop:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Katana Gomai posted:

No, but some say "we" because they feel like they are commanding some sort of army, especially in online games. Also, is was a joke.

Most streamers claim that they frown up "backseat gaming", but I don't think very many of them complain if chat points out something they missed. If I recall correctly, there even were some cases of people admitting on Twitter that others have "coached" them to high tournament results. To be fair, that has been a thing on MTGO way before Twitch even existed. I can't remember if the admittance led to some sort of repercussion.

Ben S is pretty vocal about how good his chat is and how much they help him in his ladder games. Obviously this isn't tournament but if one of the best limited players of all time thinks chat is an advantage I would take that over any number of people who just complain about backseat gaming.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
After finding out he's a piece of poo poo I'm not surprised he thinks that twitch chat is "good"

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Eej posted:

After finding out he's a piece of poo poo I'm not surprised he thinks that twitch chat is "good"

his twitch chat is fine though

twitch chat only becomes toxic if it's not moderated, and he averages under a thousand viewers so it's not a constant spew like you'd get in more popular channels, and shitheads are weeded out quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Eej posted:

Oh sorry I haven't really interacted with Magic before COVID hit what did he do?