Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
8 fetchlands for the soul purpose of one Grim Lavamancer? Ok, sure...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Bust Rodd posted:

Now ask yourself why the deck is playing Sacred Foundry.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jabor posted:

Now ask yourself why the deck is playing Sacred Foundry.

Ok rather than going back and forth here’s Owen’s article from 2015 explaining all the different ways you can use fetchlands to be good at Magic.

https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/to-fetch-or-not-to-fetch/?fbclid=IwAR0UINzVnXRmUILoMoKJqSzX37xypEWkmVHM-UNC-GUugQBCrs-gksddLbc

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You didn't realise that there was a Boros Charm and white cards in the sideboard, did you?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok rather than going back and forth here’s Owen’s article from 2015 explaining all the different ways you can use fetchlands to be good at Magic.

https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/to-fetch-or-not-to-fetch/?fbclid=IwAR0UINzVnXRmUILoMoKJqSzX37xypEWkmVHM-UNC-GUugQBCrs-gksddLbc

Burn plays Boros charm and path in the side though, isn't that why they use fetchlands more than anything else? They absolutely need to have white on turn 2 to have a fast enough clock I thought?

I feel like a better example would be Mono-R blitz: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-blitz#paper

But it definitely doesn't play fetchlands, instead they use firey islets for extra card draw late.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Jabor posted:

You didn't realise that there was a Boros Charm and white cards in the sideboard, did you?

Lmao :allears:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That burn deck absolutely needs all its lands to be untapped and produce R but is also playing Kor Firewalker, a WW card, out of the sideboard. There's no way to swing that other than with fetches + Sacred Foundry.

Deck thinning is a minor consideration during gameplay, but it's not important enough to affect deckbuilding decisions basically ever. That Turtenwald article was written in the context of a standard where there was no real alternative to playing fetches + basics in a multicolour deck (note that mono-red did not play any fetches in that format).

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uncle blog posted:

Why are fetch lands so popular? Because they give you more control when playing multi-color decks? To me they seem very expensive to use.

If you mean monetarily expensive, that has no bearing on any given mtg player

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Bust Rodd is like mcmagic lite

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Deck thinning is like 9 life per 1 card. On average.

A bad rate.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Burn plays Boros charm and path in the side though, isn't that why they use fetchlands more than anything else? They absolutely need to have white on turn 2 to have a fast enough clock I thought?

I feel like a better example would be Mono-R blitz: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-blitz#paper

But it definitely doesn't play fetchlands, instead they use firey islets for extra card draw late.

A mono-R deck in modern could play fetchs if you prioritized magmatic sinkhole and lavamancer. This one doesn't.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Sometimes it’s even correct to put fetchlands into your mono-color deck because using one land in your deck to scoop another land out of your deck means that you’re less likely to draw more lands and more likely to keep drawing good spells.

Deck thinning isnt a thing

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Bust Rodd posted:

The math has been done a million times on fetches being used as deck thinning and every single time the answer is “it doesn’t change the outcome by an appreciable enough amount to be worth it”

The only competitive decks that run them use them to

1) color fix
2) shuffle
3) stock yard for delve or guy like lavamancer
4) some other corner cases or things I forgot

You will not find a competitive deck that uses them for thinning, and we haven’t seen anybody do it at a high level for years because it has been pretty resoundingly proven as bad

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Sometimes it’s even correct to put fetchlands into your mono-color deck because using one land in your deck to scoop another land out of your deck means that you’re less likely to draw more lands and more likely to keep drawing good spells.

This is the worst post you've ever made

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Bust Rodd is right, you're all just dog piling idiots.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Reik posted:

Nah, he's wrong. Feel free to take your turn at the bat if you want though.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Reik posted:

No he isn't. It's one of the most proven fallacies in magic. Deck thinning (via fetches) isn't a thing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Burn was also running Searing Blaze for a while, which has a Landfall trigger that fetches help enable.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Deck thinning is a minor consideration during gameplay, but it's not important enough to affect deckbuilding decisions basically ever. That Turtenwald article was written in the context of a standard where there was no real alternative to playing fetches + basics in a multicolour deck (note that mono-red did not play any fetches in that format).

I agree with this answer, deck thinning with fetches is a gameplay decision not a deck building one and is what the turtenwald article says, or at least that's what I took from it.

At the start of the game it makes little appreciable difference (though if you treat magic as one long game then it should be a consideration) and in the late game it can have a large impact on the probability of drawing a non land when you need to.

Stangg fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 14, 2020

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Turtenwald article isn't wrong. If:
- you have a fetchland that you don't need to crack this turn, but you're pretty sure you'll need to crack at some point (so you're spending 1 life either way)
- you're sure you won't colour-screw yourself by fetching now
- you don't have any relevant effects that could benefit from shuffling your deck in future
then the minor consideration of deck thinning is the only factor that matters when it comes to deciding whether to fetch now or later.

But the comparison is different when choosing how to build a monocoloured deck. Let's say you'd crack 2 fetches per game. Isn't it clear that being down 2 life every game is going to lose you more games than drawing 1 additional nonland every ~5 games or so will win you games?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

This post is art, no one can convince me otherwise

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Stangg posted:

At the start of the game it makes little appreciable difference (though if you treat magic as one long game then it should be a consideration) and in the late game it can have a large impact on the probability of drawing a non land when you need to.

:cawg:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

reasons to run fetches, roughly in order
1) fix your colors
2) shuffle your library
3) stock your graveyard
4) play more copies of mystic sanctuary
5) trigger revolt
6) trigger landfall

reasons not to run fetchlands
1) thinning your deck

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thank god for mister Rodd

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Reik posted:

:wrong:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Conspicuous Snoop actually creates a playable incentive to shuffle just now, like Vampire Nocturnus in monoblack vampires. Don't think Bolas' Citadel ever saw modern play but that's another one.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This poor new guy just asked a basic question about fetch lands and got a classic MTG thread slobber knocker instead.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

I play legacy infect, there are 19 lands in the deck 4 if which are threats (inkmoth nexus).
Let's say the game has gone long, as they sometimes do, and I've fetched 4 times and need a threat. For the sake of argument I've drawn 15 cards total and just shuffled my deck. Since I've fetched 4 times there are 7 non threat lands in my deck, as opposed to 11 if I haven't. This means the probability that I will topdeck a non threat land go from 11/45 or 24.4% to 7/45 or 15.6%. I would call that significant, though it won't make a difference every game obviously.
You shouldn't include fetchlands to thin your deck, but that doesn't mean that they don't and over the long run it makes a difference.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Delver of Secrets and Mishra's Bauble are other good reasons to play shuffle effects. I guess there is also 'your opponent's Goblin Guide' but you do not want to be taking more damage against burn

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

neaden posted:

I play legacy infect, there are 19 lands in the deck 4 if which are threats (inkmoth nexus).
Let's say the game has gone long, as they sometimes do, and I've fetched 4 times and need a threat. For the sake of argument I've drawn 15 cards total and just shuffled my deck. Since I've fetched 4 times there are 7 non threat lands in my deck, as opposed to 11 if I haven't. This means the probability that I will topdeck a non threat land go from 11/45 or 24.4% to 7/45 or 15.6%. I would call that significant, though it won't make a difference every game obviously.
You shouldn't include fetchlands to thin your deck, but that doesn't mean that they don't and over the long run it makes a difference.

Nobody is disagreeing that they thin your deck, and it’s pretty intuitive that the fewer cards there are in your library, the more powerful the ability of ripping lands out of your deck is. It’s just that in 99% of games getting nothing but that thinning is not worth the life you spend. You’re more likely to play games where the life is more important than the small amount of thinning they provide.

There will be matchups where it’s beneficial to run more than sixty cards, but they’re so few and far between that it’s not worth doing. Same principle applies here.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

neaden posted:

Sure, but for the purposes of the question it's a mistake to cite deck thinning as a reason to run them. It's a minor side benefit but 4 life is often more valuable than the thinning (matchup dependent obv). 84% chance to hit a threat compared to 75% is something but your example is essentially the best case scenario and you still aren't seeing a 10% increase.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Babe! it's 4 pm, time for your deck thinning!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Babe! it's 4 pm, time for your deck thinning!

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
MTG: Dog piling idiots dog piling idiots

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

https://mtgtop8.com/event?e=26379&d=401505&f=MO

Lots of Top 8 league finishers in Modern disagree with this assessment

that two color deck is definiely playing fetches for the thinning and not any other reason lmao

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Bust Rodd

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I mean what other reason would Boros Burn play fetches?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Fetch + Shock manabases are by far the most consistent way to have untapped sources of all your colors. The only downside is having to pay life, which burn rarely cares about, so they lean really hard on them.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Are those lists 5-0 from a league, or are those placements real? If so, kudos to the player getting 1st with 5c Elementals.

E: If I'd clicked on the link, I would've figured that out myself. Still, 5c Elementals gives me hope for the future.

InterrupterJones fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Aranan posted:

MTG: Dog piling idiots dog piling idiots

Magic: the Gathering: Circle of jerks all circlejerking whenever Bust Rodd posts