Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

motedek posted:

MTG podcasts:

The Dive Down (hosted by goon ShaneB) - Modern, very engaging
Pro Points - Pros discussing high-level tournament magic. Can lose focus sometimes
Limited Resources - Granddaddy limited podcast
Lords of Limited - Limited
Top Level - Mostly standard and modern, this is the most unhinged one to me

Post your recs

arena decklists (formerly the GAM podcast) is the best constructed podcast by a mile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

https://twitter.com/OwenTweetenwald/status/1166837429690494977?s=19

Huh. This might be the first actual apology I've seen for this type of thing. Also it taught me that apparently I hadn't unfollowed him on Twitter.

"For reasons completely unrelated to the failure of my rebranding attempt two days ago, I suddenly see the error of my past actions."

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
lol why wurmcoil and etheral armor

like you have an opportunity to make a brand new eternal format that avoids all the mistakes that make people hate modern and you capitalize on it by investing significant resources into re-inserting those mistakes

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
turns out the solution to midrange decks being bad was not unbanning a card that preys specifically midrange decks

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Don't need to go mono-U, but it isn't unreasonable to just cut red from the deck. It was there almost entirely for Looting. The question is, is Cathartic Reunion enough to warrant keeping red? Do blue/green/black give you a CMC 2 or less looting effect (even if it isn't as big)? Or do you lean harder on straight mill like Tome Scour + discard effects like Brutality and the Innistrad Skabs that come back from the grave?

Ideas Unbound with a heavy blue mana base is probably a decent replacement.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, Conflagrate is a pretty big reason to keep red. I still like Ideas Unbound, though, because you don't discard until the end of your turn, so you get to draw three and dump them for a bigger Conflagrate.

anyone who's had a dredge player cast cathartic reunion against them knows that the card is 100% worth the red splash

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
looking forward to the new brawl format where your opponent starts at 30 life and will never not have teferi on turn 3

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

fadam posted:

I get that there are different strokes for different folks, and I understand that Magic is a game that appeals to a broad spectrum of interests, but I will never understand why people like singleton lmfao. What is the appeal of Magic with the worst part (variance) cranked up? I guess I've only played it during arena events, so maybe its a lot better with a tuned deck.

the appeal of singleton is similar to the experience of playing a board game. everyone gets to cast some spells, a bunch of wacky stuff happens, and in the end it's not that important who wins or who loses

none of that appeal translates over to arena/mtgo. there's no social aspect and the zero-sum reward structure makes things inherently competitive

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i too am really upset that they're not taking the name of a gingerbread person seriously

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Elyv posted:

To be fair the fetches and the karakases are nowhere near essential and that's probably more than half the price

You want fetches for searing blaze as well

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Plague Engineer is a persistent effect on a creature that can also attack or trade with whatever as needed thanks to the deathtouch, and it has an easier casting cost. It’s a lot less situational and maybe even a little more powerful than a one-shot wrath effect.

the jund players i've talked to also like it against other midrange decks, the deathtouch gives you a reliable 1-for-1 to replace all the discard spells you're looking to take out

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Food Golem.

you don't use vanilla extract to make gingerbread, 0/10

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

scg deliberately has their writers do this style of article to drive sales

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Tibalt posted:

I think there's enough incidental mill in standard right now along with cards ending up in the graveyard through regular play. A 2-mana "Kill a 5 or less CMC creature OR counter a 5 or less CMC spell" that you can't cast on curve feels like it has a home in Dimir or Grixis control, and I don't think that's unrealistic.

Edit: doesn't hit Planeswalkers though which really sucks.

if my 2 mana removal spell cannot actually kill a creature on turn 2 then i'm not interested

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

Just do something else on t2 lmao. Play a different removal spell or play a discard spell or so on. Play it alongside the 3 mana tribal sweeper. The card is super good and warping your deck a little bit to take advantage of it is totally acceptable.

ok i cast a thought erasure on turn 2. gently caress yea my conditional removal spell can now kill a 1-drop, we did it boys

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

resistentialism posted:

like right there, if you bin the surveiled card, you're at CMC 2 already

Hard to bin a land you need, of course.

it looks at your opponent's yard

sit on my Facebook posted:

That guy probably meets the bar for a beater with no combat abilities to actually be good in standard right

it's super efficient but llanowar elves rotating out might be enough to kill mono green aggro

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

The Cauldron isn't a four-of, but it is enough value in the late game that it will likely see play in some midrange creature strategy.

why would they play that instead of command the dreadhorde?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Voyager I posted:

Decks diversifying analogous cards to play around hate pieces - a thing that is most definitely not done in every format.

that particular example is really nonsensical though. people aren't sideboarding in unmoored ego against the grindy control/midrange decks that run command.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
me, a complete moron: cauldron sucks rear end

you, a clever genuis: ah but these other poster that are not you thought a different card was bad, and were wrong. checkmate.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Have literally had this happen to me

same but restoration angel

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Voyager I posted:

People have some really high expectations for how much power they're supposed to jam into colored lands with a very easy ETB Untapped clause.

4 Mana: Draw a card is probably going to be eternal playable on a land that can just tap for B the rest of the time.

yea by design they're only supposed to be relevant in a small % of games. that's seems fair considering how free the deckbuilding cost is in a mono-color deck.

it's like flagstones of trokair or eiganjo castle

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Doesn’t die to Bolt

Turns your Ponders into Bolts

Turns your EoT Brainstorms into also Bolts

hell, just cast it and then cycle a street wraith

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Why? What makes you think they'd drop one for the other rather than include both and drop something like Darksteel Ingot instead?

"take out the bad cards and replace them with ones that an optimized deck would actually want" is not at all consistent with the design philosophy of commander precons

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

sit on my Facebook posted:

That is literally exactly the deck that wants a Cauldron of Eternity right

maybe in the sideboard but its pretty conditional when you're trying to use it fairly. a lot of decks won't care if you're reanimating medium beatdown creatures

also the mana curve + heavy removal suite of that deck is real bad

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Retromancer posted:

can someone with better knowledge of the rules explain something to me? someone told me that the comma in the middle of Urza, Lord High Artificer's 3rd ability means that abilities can be activated in the middle of it. For instance, you could spend five to activate him, shuffle your library, then activate a scroll rack to put something on top before flipping the top card of your deck. A judge friend of mine confirmed this is how it works, but it seems counterintuitive to everything I know about the stack. Can someone explain this?

they're wrong. i know a bunch of recent cards have a "you may do x. when you do, ..." clause where the stuff after the comma goes on the stack separately, but that is not the case with urza

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

A Moose posted:

Here's my first draft of temur elementals

2 Mountain (ROE) 242
5 Forest (ANA) 65
3 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
2 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
3 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
3 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
3 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
3 Temple of Epiphany (M20) 253
3 Fires of Invention (ELD) 125
2 Island (ANA) 62
3 Escape to the Wilds (ELD) 189
4 Risen Reef (M20) 217
3 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169
2 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
2 Omnath, Locus of the Roil (M20) 216
2 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
4 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
3 Voracious Hydra (M20) 200
4 Cavalier of Thorns (M20) 167
2 Chandra, Awakened Inferno (M20) 127
2 Domri, Anarch of Bolas (WAR) 191

3 Flame Sweep (M20) 139
3 Veil of Summer (M20) 198
2 Rhythm of the Wild (RNA) 201
3 Fry (M20) 140
3 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
1 Lava Coil (GRN) 108

Fires of Invention is strong as hell when your turn 5 is "free nissa, hydroid krasis for 6" or "Cavalier of Thorns, grab a land, big chandra" or Escape to the Wilds for free into something nasty. Turn 2 ramp into turn 3 Fires + Risen Reef is also very good. The ramp is in there because I have a lot of 5 and 6 drops, and I'm considering dropping the goose for Arboreal Grazer because of how important getting 5 lands is. Another cool thing is that Fires of Invention fixes your mana for you, which is nice.

I'm not sure about the Domri's, they used to be Okos just to combo with the goose and pop out food to stabilize vs mono-red. Domri might be more useful in the simic flash matchup.

fires is awful, it makes it so your mana dorks and krasis do not function as cards. Escape to the Wilds also seems bad when you could just be maxing out on krasis instead, or any other of the u/g ramp payoff that actually affect the board.

i had a similar idea but with Oko and The Great Henge. Oko is insane, any u/g deck should probably be starting out with 4x goose 4x Oko.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Jabor posted:

Mana dorks sure, but the whole point of fires is that you get to play two high-cost cards a turn (one through fires and one normally), so Krasis is still A+.

with fires in play you can only cast krasis for 0 https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=473087

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
after carefully re-reading the card, i realize the error of my ways and would like to apologize.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Yes, Giant Hand was once, an 800 some dollar card, because it was tournament legal and also good in the meta it was relevant in.

And then they threw it in a tin, 2 years later.

drat, pretty hosed up that they made the card affordable. glad my game of choice doesn't do that, haha

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

they will probably institute a no politics rule rather than anything else. a lot of magic players are chuds and the owner is going to want to tiptoe around alienating their clientele.

the owner might also be a chud because small business owners are pretty much trump's whole demographic.

"small business owner" is and always has been a code word for rich people

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ilmucche posted:

I thought it was 50/50 between people who were rich and people on the edge of bankruptcy

you're thinking of actual small business owners

when politicians talk about policies or tax reforms that benefit the "small business owner", they mean ceos and oil tycoons

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I love that there is an entire subreddit just for Modern Jund

there's one for almost every modern deck

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

"Stax" was a deck that featured Smokestack and centered around resource denial in a prison style deck.

Speaking of, I'm in love with the deck, and I saw a bo1 version that featured fae of wishes. Naturally, I wanted to adapt it to bo3. Any suggestions?

Legions End is probably better than cry in the maindeck.

Are you using fae of wishes primarily as a turn 2 blocker or something because otherwise it seems far too slow for a deck that already has tempo problems and is trying to play catch-up in the mid game. If you really want to use them i'd trim a copy and replace some of your top-end wishboard stuff with discard spells or countermagic that you can actually sideboard in for games 2 and 3. The main engine of the deck is good enough that you don't really need dedicated win conditions, you just want to make sure you're the one that snowballs an early advantage and not your opponent.

Also I see that 1 of dovin's veto in every decklist but after playing the deck a bunch, i refuse to believe that anyone has actually cast it in game one. I swapped it out for a duress which is good against all the same cards and is much easier to find a window to cast. Why everyone only runs 3 doom fortolds is another thing i don't understand.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Got 4 Field of Ruins ready to go!

every single answer to field of the dead rotated out lol

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

Trophy I guess.

Time to bring standard faithful Demolish back into sideboards

Trophy doesn't really solve the problem, there's 3 more copies of field and 4 copies of golos to help find them, so they're still present a late game that you can't possibly compete with.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sickening posted:

Vista was a card I got right and most of you got wrong. :smugdon:

congrats, we all respect you a whole lot now and have moved you up to only the third worst poster in this thread

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mat Cauthon posted:

What is the best deck to power through this Standard challenge on Arena? Please don't say Esper Manse.

manse is dead because the golos matchup is like 10-90.

if you can find a good mono black or mono red list that might get the job done but it's probably just bant golos

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Are there any decent hate cards to counter the Golos-Field decks that are looking to make up like 75% of the win-a-set thing that's going on?

it's a stupid broken deck and any attempt to interact or disrupt will end in catastrophe when you fail to account for krasis, agent of treachery, etc. etc.

the only way to attack it is to do your own linear thing. the only strategy beyond 1-drop aggro that I've seen be problematic for it is the jeskai fires deck killing with either sarkan or the cavalier of flame + cavalier of gales combo

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 7, 2019

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

berenzen posted:

Golos field mirror matches are horrendously unfun. Just played one where it came down to my opponent milling out because they were on the draw.

i just played the mirror and my opponent lucksacked into turn 3 unmoored ego nabbing all four of my fields, but they still ended up losing to turn 2 oko + beanstalk giant beatdowns. cast off killing all non-giants means that you can get your giant in for damage through a big army of zombies. owned bitch

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 7, 2019

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

Counterpoint: I, as golos fields, Fae of wishes + unmoored ego on T7 to get rid of their dance of the manse (and to check if they had a wishboard, they did not), and then a few turns later plane wide celebration for 12 life + getting a krasis back.

They planar cleansing'd twice for little to no effect, and in the final turn, I wished for a veil of Summer to keep my teferi alive.

It felt really good to resolve ego and basically win the game on the spot.
that matchup is almost unlosable for you but gj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

Modern Horizons was a mistake and has negatively affected all formats it has touched. There are zero healthy contructed formats right now.

turns out deliberately designing cards to impact eternal formats leads to a lot of mistakes.