Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cactrot posted:

I love The Dive Down specifically for the Causal Spike moniker, because it is literally me.

Glad to hear you aren't violating causality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Magic Underwear posted:

Not really a fair criticism anymore since they designed a large number of interesting well balanced (minus one) walkers that don't follow that mold.

Which is the minus one in your mind? I'm curious.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

lmaoing imagining them extending this principle to paper. Now you need two copies of any card you want to play. Put them in the same sleeve. You better believe during deck checks judges will be making sure you didn’t sleeve your four Stoneforge mystics on top of four draft commons to sneak them through!!!

I mean, obviously not the literal two copies thing, but at the conceptual level, "buy into stuff early or it's way more expensive for literally no good reason" is pretty much already a feature of paper :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Sampatrick posted:

Tomescour lmao

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

wow unless food is incredibly easy to create, its seems like an insanely bad mechanic

Free life as a rider on whatever other spell or ability isn't bad, of course, but given that the bonus is pound-for-pound weaker than drawing cards or generating mana, you'd think they would have been a little bit more aggressive with it. Compare food 1-to-1 with clue tokens, which were a playable but not busted mechanic, and it just seems much less powerful in every way. I'm pretty sure gaining 3 life is not the same value as drawing a card, and on top of it, these have an extra cost, albeit one that may not be relevant in most cases (the tap to activate).

e: Of course, yes, we're making this evaluation in a near-vacuum, having seen a single unexciting food enabler, so there could be stuff to come that'll make food blow our socks off.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Afaik the "when you do" templating isn't something they'd need to use there but maybe they're changing how they do that.

E: what I mean is that I was under the impression they used it when the clause was contingent on a choice and they didn't want you to have to choose a target if you weren't going to choose yes in the first place, e.g. Cavalier of Night. No reason to do it there since there's no may and it would make no sense for there to be one

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 4, 2019

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

it would mean the damage is a separate triggered ability that triggers off the card draw and hence doesn't trigger if the draw is prevented, i think

Yeah, you're not wrong, it would make a functional difference there. What's the case where that matters enough for them to care about, though?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Extremely looking forward to the MTGA auto tapper loving up adamant, constantly

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

There's no priority round in between ordering blockers and assigning damage. So step-by-step:

1) Player A declares attackers.
1a) Player A gets priority.
1b) Player B gets priority.
2) Player B declares blockers.
2a) Player A gets priority.
2b) Player B gets priority.
3) Player A declares the damage order for their attackers ("I will deal 2 damage to this one, and 2 damage to that one"). They have to assign lethal to one blocker before they can assign damage to any other blockers.
4) Player B does the same thing for their blockers.
5) First strike damage is resolved and all dealt simultaneously.
5a) Player A gets priority.
5b) Player B gets priority.
6) Regular damage is resolved for any creatures still alive, and all dealt simultaneously.
6a) Player A gets priority.
6b) Player B gets priority.
7) End of combat step.
7a) Player A gets priority.
7b) Player B gets priority.

In your above example, Player B would have to give that +0/+3 to a creature in step 2B, before Player A has assigned damage. So Player A could just choose to assign 2 damage to the 2/2 instead, and 2 damage to the 2/5.

(Reference: Comp Rules 510.2 "Second, all combat damage that’s been assigned is dealt simultaneously. This turn-based action doesn’t use the stack. No player has the chance to cast spells or activate abilities between the time combat damage is assigned and the time it’s dealt.")

The ordering of blocking creatures happens a step earlier in 509.3, though.

e:f;b

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Tibalt posted:

I'm having trouble evaluating that card. Your opponent gets to tap it down for 3 turns but you gain 9 life and draw 3 cards... seems good.

They can tap it down for longer than 3 turns, but of course at some point they have to start providing their own sacrifices (and you keep getting resources). Also, you can pressure their creature base to make it more difficult for them to sac.

On the other hand, not only does it die to removal, but if it dies to removal immediately, they get three free tokens.

Compare it to Risk Factor, which already doesn't seem to get played much anymore (granted, this is partly due to red currently benefiting from an embarrassment of riches when it comes to drawing/seeing extra cards). It's a sweeter deal for your opponent, all else held equal; each extra card they give you prevents 8 damage, as opposed to 1.33 damage for Risk Factor. It also comes out at a clunkier spot on the curve, and is more vulnerable to countermagic (and is vulnerable to creature removal at all). For these alone, I don't think it's great, but watch me be proved wrong again.

edit: then again I forgot the desecration demon comp, which is a pretty good point.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

H&G seems like not the worst 23rd limited card ever.

Enchantment seems good if you can afford to play a durdly food deck, which in practice means probably not good though I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Lord_Magmar posted:

Anyway, if I was to do a Green Knight card it would probably have indestructible or something and an ability that causes target creature to first deal damage equal to power to the Green Knight, and then the Green Knight deals damage equal to it's power to target creature.

Thus your opponent can potentially kill it with a trick, but otherwise you get the usual story of the Green Knight letting his opponent swing first, nearly kill him (only a sliver of skin keeps his head on his body) and then swing back to kill them.

I'd probably give it flash and indestructible on the turn it ETBs.

Flash for the flavor of you're just trying to enjoy your holiday party when this rear end in a top hat comes in and wants to have a cutting off heads contest, and then to add insult to injury he turns out to be a cheater.

And/or maybe give him indestructible but "Equipped creatures your opponents control are indestructible." For the garter.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

are we gonna have a lancelot and his betrayal card?

if there's a Lancelot card the adventure better be about riding in a cart

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Wow. I'm not sorry he's banned. Has his criminal case been resolved yet, does anyone know?

e: trying to Google for updates mostly gives hits from freemagic which I fervently avoid reading for anything, let alone takes on sexual assault charges

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 13, 2019

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

PleasantDirge posted:

Conley Woods beat a girl after consulting with the internet how to get away with it. Unsurprisingly, a bunch of not lawyers handed out dumb rear end advice which Conley took as gospel

Did he actually literally plan this on the internet first, because holy poo poo

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

drainpipe posted:

I'm ok with wizards making money off of cosmetics. It's the gating a powerful card behind special products (like the buy-a-box promos) that worry me more, but I don't play paper so...

Typically, in games that make relatively ethical use of premium cosmetics, the thing that makes the cosmetics' existence a good proposition for the average (read: non-whale) consumer is that it noticeably drops the cost of playing the game for everyone else. Often it drops it all the way to free, though obviously that will never be practical for physical MTG.

Previous MTG "cosmetics" (expeditions, masterpieces, whatever the gently caress the Amonkhet ones were collectively called) may have had that effect because they were in regularly priced boosters, which drove down the price of everything else in those boosters. I say "may have" to be completely honest, because I'm not actually gonna go analyze the data right now, but it stands to reason. Anyway, that was a step in the right direction. But it's hard for me to see how shunting cosmetics off into higher-priced premium boosters is going to have the same effect, since they aren't going to be slashing the price of regular boosters to compensate. They're just skimming an extra layer of cream off the top.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

There's no way these don't hit arena, I'd bet it's the mastery orb thing for this set

I mean they literally already did the thing in WAR where they have high-demand alternate art for a bunch of cards from the set but it doesn't make its way into Arena as such.

I'd agree with you that it's quite likely at some point that they start doing masterpieces-type cards properly for Arena. But you can't really ever say "no way" when it comes to a hypothetical rake for WOTC to step on.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Tainen posted:

Lol 2:1 historic wildcards officially walked back

https://twitter.com/wizards_magicDE/status/1172527610208948224

Other changes it lists is that Historic games will count towards your daily quests but not wins and you can buy single packs of historic sets instead of only the bundle.

The daily quests but not wins thing is exactly backwards; I want a type of game that I can play to get my first four wins when I'm punting on a 500-gold quest, without having to search for a deck that I both feel like playing and that evades the quest.

The change in the wildcard ratio is more than good enough to outweigh anything dumb in the rest of that announcement, though. At least for now.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

drainpipe posted:

That seems to be entirely the point. They want to make sure you play standard if given the choice.

Fair, it's still weird then to cut off one and not the other.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

BrianBoitano posted:

Does this let you flashback if the land count is >= normal casting cost? Bump in the Night would only require 1 land to flashback yeah?

You can pay additional costs like buyback and kicker, but not for free, right?

Can you choose values for X in casting costs?

1) Pretty sure you cannot flashback it. Flashback does not let you play it from your graveyard for just any cost, it lets you play it for its flashback cost, and Fires of Invention does not let you play it without paying its flashback costs. (You could, however, play it from your graveyard for free during a Yawgmoth's Will turn, although Fires + Will is a serious nonbo in every other regard.)

2) I believe so.

3) I don't believe so.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Elyv posted:

There's also Wall of Boom, which I'm not even going to attempt to describe because it goes past making no drat sense so here's a link

I actually was not aware that you needed Stasis in the combo; I thought that the magma mine could also be activated in the between-turns step. :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Hellsau posted:

Time Vault is a broken rear end magic card and for years they used power level errata and strange rulings to keep it both technically functional and also keep it from breaking the game.

Funnily enough it now basically has its as-printed functionality (at least, I don't see any cases where it'd be different) and it turns out that it just doesn't break the game, at least not any more so than other cards in the only format where it's legal anyway.

Looking up the Alpha wording has made me realize that I want the two individuals depicted in the Alpha art, or at least recognizable representatives of their species/organizations, to come back in some form. That's some pretty drat good art for 1993 Magic.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

fadam posted:

I’m tired of using my Ultrapro bald Teferi playmat like a normie, where can I get a sick playmat to fool people into thinking I have a personality?

commission custom art of Teferi making out with a younger version of himself

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

evilweasel posted:

i mean it's cheaper to cast the better it is. if you've got five creatures in your yard, you cast it for two mana and can use it five times before its useless. if you've got one, it costs you ten setup mana and then three additional mana to perform one resurrection before it becomes useless

N.b.: you can continue stocking your graveyard through methods other than creatures dying, so it needn't become completely useless.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Obscil posted:

This seems pretty strong. A cantripping pongify is quite a card.

Should've saved this for Theros.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

ungulateman posted:

'ser' may or may not be copyrighted by Game of Thrones, too, so they went with the next vowel that worked

if you're going from i in the direction of e, then a is actually the next vowel

it's a, i, e, o, u and sometimes y

e: I guess this depends on one's sense of which vowels 'work'

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Voyager I posted:

Reprint Gitaxian Probe into Standard.

That really wouldn't be that bad, though, assuming they didn't manage to put it in the same Standard format as one of the mechanics that lets you get massive value from it. (Delve, Pyromancer/Mentor, any other free cantrip value effects)

Not saying it would improve Standard, but it probably wouldn't be a disaster. It's already banned/restricted in all the formats where it needs to be, and reprinting it into Standard wouldn't change that.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Star Man posted:

Sword of Fire and Ice - Updated with the current rules text. Reuse the illustration by Chris Rahn

Here for a moment I thought this was an actual good opinion and then I wasn't 100% sure which artist was which so I looked it up and what the gently caress

MikeCrotch posted:

This is the worst thing anyone has ever posted in this thread

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

Nah, the MM art for the Swords is gorgeous.

They're not low-quality art, but they're pretty generic fantasy.

The Darksteel ones have that those cool stylized backgrounds.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Every time I play EDH with old and new cards, it strikes me all over again how cool and flavorful the old frames were.

You can definitely fit more text onto the new ones though, so I think aesthetically you can prefer the old ones while still accepting the new ones actively make the game better

Probably neither is the actual ideal frame; the old ones definitely have more fantasy character whereas the new ones have fewer legibility issues.

I think there's a middle ground somewhere-- the Planar Chaos frames would be a step in the right direction-- but unfortunately at this point it looks like they won't ever be arsed to go implement it. The new frames are 15+ years old and have never been meaningfully iterated upon (I'm not counting minor changes for this or that gimmick, nor the M15 changes).

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Jabor posted:

Old foils are the only way to get 7th edition art, old frame, black border, which is a uniquely good combination for some cards.

Legit question, what's the card where the 7E art is the best version

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Jabor posted:

Birds of Paradise.

Fair. I'm fond of the Alpha art but I won't say that preferring the 7E art is a Bad Opinion (and of course getting the ABU art with black borders is probably not cheap).

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

Goblin Matron of course

Preferring 7E Goblin Matron, on the other hand, is a Bad Opinion.

Not because the art is inherently bad, mind you, but rather because it's a card for which DiTerlizzi art exists.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

dun dun dun!

Was her hair black before?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The character is agender.

How would you know from the card though

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Hellsau posted:

Emry was a mistake.

the name was already a mistake, every time I see it there's a couple of seconds where I read it as a cutesy name for Emrakul and it takes me that much longer to figure out what's being talked about

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

AlphaKeny1 posted:

at least there's no war of the spark 2 anytime soon

Besides Teferi and I guess maybe Nissa, did WotS do anything really bad to the format?

It feels like M20 has been way more toxic to Standard than WotS.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Hard Disagree. A late game BoP is a dead draw, this is at least a Food, and it can make food on future turns.

You want mana dorks the first couple turns, tops.

If you're using it to fix your colors at all in addition to just accelerating, it can be relevant to be able to do that consistently with no additional investment.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Framboise posted:

eaL-2ADg-8b3

Grabbed this one, thank you kindly.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

match the Type 1 deck to its wincon

Eternal Dragon

Solidarity

Sickening Dreams

Nausea

Brain Freeze

Rabid Wombat

note: i have not labeled which cards are wincons and which ones are deck names, have fun

without looking at other replies:

solidarity - brain freeze (know this one for sure)

nausea - sickening dreams (makes sense)

rabid wombat - eternal dragon (process of elimination; not sure which one is the deck name and which one is the wincon, but eternal dragon actually has been used as a wincon somewhere other than the sixth grade playground, so my money's on that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

ungulateman posted:

"you know, i probably should counter this sorcerous spyglass when i have two okos in my hand, but i'll probably draw something else to do and who knows what else they might have that i want to counter."

[draws the other two copies of oko]

"hmm."

I mean, you're playing counterspells and oko, so karma was going to catch up to you sooner or later.