Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just heard PR had a 6.0 earthquake wtf man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The devil is claiming his due for the creation of the jibarito.

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
So is the Bahamas fixed yet, there are no news at all about this

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Indy posted:

Lemme check real qui-

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Indy posted:

lol nope, tl;dr is they just created a new disaster preparedness ministry, who's first act is to start bulldozing slums. Oh , and now that it's in the restoration and rebuilding phase, starting to deport illegal immigrants again. There a growing wave of anti Haitian sentiment,
Death toll 53, 1300 missing. A lot of those afformentioned illegal immigrants (mostly Haitian and from the Dominican Republic) fall in to the "missing" category, or are not counted at all.
The government is providing tax breaks for people looking to rebuild, Abaco and Grand Bahama have been declared Economic Recovery Zones, so duty/tax free import of building materials etc and soft loans and grants to help re-establish businesses.

edit:

look at http://www.tribune242.com/news/local-news/

Thesaurus posted:

Where you at? Tropical storm Karen just suddenly appeared in the Caribbean and is set to hit us in Puerto Rico on Tuesday.

Grenada, Karen didn't do much damage here. some landslides and flood prone areas got flooded. Tobago got hit worse, no loss of life or serious injuries that I know of, but lots of flooding and flood related property damage.

fins fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 24, 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Clearly, it's the immigrants who've caused the hurricane.

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse

SelenicMartian posted:

Clearly, it's the immigrants who've caused the hurricane.

Always bring the weather with you

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trump would be proud

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

Just heard PR had a 6.0 earthquake wtf man

Yeah lmao. It was way scarier than the storm for me because I've never experienced an earthquake before. My whole condo building was shaking pretty good, but no damage that I know of. The whole island felt it.

Karen just got us in San Juan. Big time rain at the moment. Otherwise just blasting the AC while the electricity holds out

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

fins posted:

Death toll 53, 1300 missing. A lot of those afformentioned illegal immigrants (mostly Haitian and from the Dominican Republic) fall in to the "missing" category, or are not counted at all.

It never ceases to surprise and disappoint me how, no matter the hardship, there's always those out there willing to band together to kick people when they're down.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

It never ceases to surprise and disappoint me how, no matter the hardship, there's always those out there willing to band together to kick people when they're down.

No matter how bad things, they can never be so bad you can't just blame some innocent third party minority group for all your troubles to feel just that little bit better!. :unsmith:

:( :( :(

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

There are some questions about providing for everyone when resources are tight. Can, and will, human rights survive resource restrictions?

Been to far down the climate hole recently and poo poo like this is starting to naw at me

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Goodpancakes posted:

There are some questions about providing for everyone when resources are tight. Can, and will, human rights survive resource restrictions?

Been to far down the climate hole recently and poo poo like this is starting to naw at me

Can, yes. Will... well it will probably will be a god drat struggle due to the aforementioned many people loving to get caught up in tribalistic, blame shifting bullshit, but at least many in the next generation seem to be taking the question of climate change and human rights seriously. Just need to keep up the pressure and make sure that question does kept being taken seriously. Things are yeah really not great, but things are change for the better as well as for the worse.

So yeah as long as people keep up the good fight can and will. Got to live in hope, but fight for as well.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Karen veered off slightly at the last minute from PR, just like Dorian. The island is still getting heavy rains and flash floods, but I'm sitting pretty and havent lost power :cool:

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Thesaurus posted:

Karen veered off slightly at the last minute from PR, just like Dorian. The island is still getting heavy rains and flash floods, but I'm sitting pretty and havent lost power :cool:

I really don't want this to come off as me being a dick about it, but I am really glad that I left the island for mainland years ago.

It breaks my heart to see all that tiny island has had to endure; it is my childhood home after all. But my anxiety would not be able to handle all of these close calls half as well as you appear to be taking it.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I really don't want this to come off as me being a dick about it, but I am really glad that I left the island for mainland years ago.

It breaks my heart to see all that tiny island has had to endure; it is my childhood home after all. But my anxiety would not be able to handle all of these close calls half as well as you appear to be taking it.

I don't blame you. I'm not from here so this is my first hurricane season.

I may act like a cool drunken goon online, bit it's actually pretty stressful to be under constant threat of ultra storms, in addition to the regular hosed up infrastructure. More stressful given that I have a young child in school here. I understand why a lot of puertoricans just said NOPE! and took off after Maria wrecked the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://imgur.com/4ChPBCq

Friend of mine from Puerto Rico having a grand ol time of it with the water supply.