Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Uh thanks...for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yeah, I'm sure they didn't really die :rolleyes:

Are you done here?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've never been done posting before today so

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse

I'm somewhere inside the Bermuda Triangle. idk my gps is hosed

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Latest Euro model suggests this may be Dorian's little lovely rear end in a top hat brother, as in, a tropical storm the northern Bahamas really don't need right now, a brief scare for Floridians, and low grade hurricane winds back up the Carolinas' coastline.

Of course, the GFS has it pushing through southern Florida into the Gulf of Mexico into (wait for it)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

enojy posted:

Of course, the GFS has it pushing through southern Florida into the Gulf of Mexico into (wait for it)
Alaska?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE ROLL TIDE TRUMP 2020

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh gently caress Trump is really going to find some way to try and save face on Twitter if this thing does actually get to Alabama

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Not sure if this has been posted yet:

Craig McLean, NOAA Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Assistant Administrator and Acting Chief Scientist posted:

Dear Colleagues,

The fierce storm we know as Hurricane Dorian has concluded its ferocious path through the Bahamas and along the U.S. East Coast. Many of you have contributed to the excellent science that has underpinned the forecasts and current understanding of storms such as this one, which accelerated quite rapidly in intensity. The storm also presented challenges in track which improved with enhanced observations. We know that our collective work, from the scientists in the aircraft penetrating the storm, to the scientists deploying the glider picket line, to the modelers and folks working the physics of the storms, across OAR and in our CI'S, and across all NOAA Lines, we are working the problem in order to give the NWS forecasters the best tools we possibly can to keep America and our neighbors safe. Thank you.

During the course of the storm, as I am sure you are aware, there were routine and exceptional expert forecasts, the best possible, issued by the NWS Forecasters. These are remarkable colleagues of ours, who receive our products, use them well, and provide the benefit of their own experience in announcing accurate forecasts accompanied by the distinction of all credible scientists—they sign their work. As I'm sure you also know, there was a complex issue involving the President commenting on the path of the hurricane. The NWS Forecaster(s) corrected any public misunderstanding in an expert and timely way, as they should. There followed, last Friday, an unsigned press release from "NOAA" that inappropriately and incorrectly contradicted the NWS forecaster. My understanding is that this intervention to contradict the forecaster was not based on science but on external factors including reputation and appearance, or simply put, political. Our NOAA Scientific Integrity Policy and Code of Scientific Conduct make clear that all NOAA employees shall approach all scientific activities with honesty, objectively, and completely, without allegiance to individuals, organizations, or ideology. The content of this press release is very concerning as it compromises the ability of NOAA to convey life-saving information necessary to avoid substantial and specific danger to public health and safety. If the public cannot trust our information, or we debase our forecaster's warnings and products, that specific danger arises.

You know that the value of our science is in the complexity of our understanding, our ability to convey that understanding to a wide audience of users of this information, and to establish and sustain the public trust in the truth and legitimacy of that information. Unfortunately, the press release of last Friday violated this trust and violated NOAA's policies of scientific integrity. In my role as Assistant Administrator for Research, and as I continue to administratively serve as Acting Chief Scientist, I am pursuing the potential violations of our NOAA Administrative Order on Scientific Integrity. Thankfully, we have such policies that are independently cited as among the best in the federal community, if not the best. Your NOAA and OAR management and leadership team believes in these policies and principles. I have a responsibility to pursue these truths. I will.

Thank you for your continued excellent work, and your trust. Carry on.

Craig McLean, NOAA Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Assistant Administrator

Assistant Administrator

Oceanic and Atmospheric Research

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/nhc_atlantic/status/1172250039919529984?s=21

Here we go...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

poo poo, start loading up the cold oranges!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Fill your freezer with oranges now

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Not sure if this has been posted yet:

What press release was this? I don’t actively follow trumps bullshit because my blood pressure is already high enough but I feel like I would have seen something if he bullied a NOAA scientist into covering for him.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Hazo posted:

What press release was this? I don’t actively follow trumps bullshit because my blood pressure is already high enough but I feel like I would have seen something if he bullied a NOAA scientist into covering for him.

So you just haven't followed the news this week?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Hazo posted:

This is exactly what he did, lol.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Hazo posted:

lol

https://mobile.twitter.com/akarl_smith/status/1170083784680718339
https://mobile.twitter.com/nytclimate/status/1171142655423725569

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hazo posted:

The lols are coming from inside the thread.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Regrettable posted:

This is exactly what he did, lol.

loving lmao, I can’t believe nobody posted about that in this or the Weatherpocalypse thread

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hazo posted:

loving lmao, I can’t believe nobody posted about that in this or the Weatherpocalypse thread

Follow the trump lol thread. It’s good. In cspam

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Nobody follows the Trump thread, you just hop in for a few pages then 500 more posts happen

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Hazo posted:

I saw it on a news site, it's attributed as an internal email memo that was forwarded to the press, not an official press release statement.

It had been discussed but I hadn't seen the text of the memo before now.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Kazak posted:

Nobody follows the Trump thread, you just hop in for a few pages then 500 more posts happen

there's the trump lol thread that got moved from gbs, and then there's the regular cspam trump thread that gets 10 times more posts

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Lol they're literally rewriting history now. Hahaha, awesome

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Stink Billyums posted:

there's the trump lol thread that got moved from gbs, and then there's the regular cspam trump thread that gets 10 times more posts

The idea of a thread having 10x more posts than the old GBS one is terrifying. Half the time I miss the old one for a day and there’s 800 new posts in it, and that’s when nothing happens.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

EL BROMANCE posted:

The idea of a thread having 10x more posts than the old GBS one is terrifying. Half the time I miss the old one for a day and there’s 800 new posts in it, and that’s when nothing happens.

It's why there is a new thread every month. The forums couldn't handle a single eternal Trump thread. It would consume everything.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Has anyone made the: "This just in: a second hurricane has just struck the south Bahamas..." joke yet?

If not, this just in: a second hurricane has just struck the south Bahamas...

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Solice Kirsk posted:

Has anyone made the: "This just in: a second hurricane has just struck the south Bahamas..." joke yet?

It’s not a hurricane. It’s a tropical storm

:owned:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't care what you call it, it still blows.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't care what you call it, it still blows.

Mlyp

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i hear texas is underwater again :toot:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Solice Kirsk posted:

A second hurricane has struck Alabama.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

its okay its mostly just sa doing sa stuff

let me find this pic of a pancake

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

poverty goat posted:

i hear texas is underwater again :toot:

The fill valve is working, hopefully the flush mechanism is permanently broken

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Imelda only barely made it to tropical storm before making landfall, but she's doing her best to drown Texas.

https://twitter.com/WeatherMatrix/status/1174672104102551553
https://twitter.com/BrettAWX/status/1174707670928019456
https://twitter.com/SteveABC13/status/1174683856391352320

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How is Alabama doing

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

tater_salad posted:

How is Alabama doing

The tide is rollin.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

tater_salad posted:

How is Alabama doing
Oranges are still cold

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm looking at Beaumont TX photos and the water is higher than their street lights right now in spots.

Didn't this happen like 2 years ago and all their homes had to be gutted and torn down? Or was it Houston? Both?

How does the economics of tearing down and rebuilding tens of thousands of homes every 2 years work?

Philthy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 19, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Philthy posted:

How does the economics of tearing down and rebuilding tens of thousands of homes every 2 years work?

It doesn't.

Hence the issue with climate change you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?
The rich are going to move to the high ground