Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Philthy posted:

How does the economics of tearing down and rebuilding tens of thousands of homes every 2 years work?

FEMA will only rebuild your house 3 times. Then you're just hosed if you still want to live there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Serious post: in the near future, why don't we build water pipelines instead of oil pipelines? Seems like with climate change, some places will get way more water than they want, while others will struggle with drought. Is this even possible? Has anybody thought about this?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Hurricane Jerry was fixin to hit us in PR, but it appears to be taking a boring and life-saving turn northwards

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Charles posted:

Serious post: in the near future, why don't we build water pipelines instead of oil pipelines? Seems like with climate change, some places will get way more water than they want, while others will struggle with drought. Is this even possible? Has anybody thought about this?

Did you look?

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...i30.05kC2hP6nbQ

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Yes, Libya has done it!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Man-Made_River

Most people complain it's too much money. But sooner or later we won't be able to afford not to!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Charles posted:

Yes, Libya has done it!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Man-Made_River

Most people complain it's too much money. But sooner or later we won't be able to afford not to!

incidentally LA has a man-made river which was designed to prevent exactly what's happening in texas right now. can't do something like that without the federal government (army corps) and imminent domain though, so welp. a major selling point of texas is being free of such oppression

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
owns how it took 3 hours for a regular tropical depression to turn into the 7th wettest storm to ever hit texas

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

poverty goat posted:

incidentally LA has a man-made river which was designed to prevent exactly what's happening in texas right now. can't do something like that without the federal government (army corps) and imminent domain though, so welp. a major selling point of texas is being free of such oppression

Right, aqueducts aren't a new idea, they're just usually uncovered rather than in a pipe since because of the quantities required and lack of toxicity.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Thesaurus posted:

Hurricane Jerry was fixin to hit us in PR, but it appears to be taking a boring and life-saving turn northwards

Hurricane Jerry. Weak rear end name.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Honestly it's probably all the politics of money and the tremendous sums you would have to start spending.

We should take on major geologic studies of formations that we could pump fresh water into. Times like these you could be putting a tremendous amount into new reservoirs of fresh water for later use.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

papersack posted:

Hurricane Jerry. Weak rear end name.

I know. extremely nonthreatening

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Reporting from Houston

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Texas is experimenting with direct flood water infusion into its aquifers/reservoirs. we will see how that goes. a lot of states already utilize aquifer storage and recovery to keep long storage of water that does not lose water to evaporation

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

TropicalCoke posted:

Texas is experimenting with direct flood water infusion into its aquifers/reservoirs. we will see how that goes. a lot of states already utilize aquifer storage and recovery to keep long storage of water that does not lose water to evaporation

so they'll need to treat water from aquifers real hard? flood water is disgusting

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

redleader posted:

so they'll need to treat water from aquifers real hard? flood water is disgusting
If you pick the right geologic features, simply putting it into the aquifer is doing 90% of the treating. Physical filtration does most of what you need and you can get a lot of that from porous rock and/or aggregate strata. So all that remains after pumping it out is something like an activated charcoal filter and a microorganism treatment.

Not sure how prevalent its become but some of the water jurisdictions in California were treating sewer water to be near as drinkable as you can get, but its otherwise discouraged to circulate that straight back into the drinking water loop. So they would pump it into a a low residence time aquifer and pump out "fresh water" out the other end and really the aquifer did the last bit of polishing needed to turn the poop water fully clean and the drinking treatment was easier than dealing with dregs of the Colorado the farmers leave the cities.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

George H.W. oval office posted:

Reporting from Houston

Is that a port-a-shitter in the middle of that bridge?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

zedprime posted:

If you pick the right geologic features, simply putting it into the aquifer is doing 90% of the treating. Physical filtration does most of what you need and you can get a lot of that from porous rock and/or aggregate strata. So all that remains after pumping it out is something like an activated charcoal filter and a microorganism treatment.

Not sure how prevalent its become but some of the water jurisdictions in California were treating sewer water to be near as drinkable as you can get, but its otherwise discouraged to circulate that straight back into the drinking water loop. So they would pump it into a a low residence time aquifer and pump out "fresh water" out the other end and really the aquifer did the last bit of polishing needed to turn the poop water fully clean and the drinking treatment was easier than dealing with dregs of the Colorado the farmers leave the cities.

Thank you for making me aware that I have zero knowledge of how water is cleaned or manages to come out of the faucet in my house

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

zedprime posted:

I don't know where you are in the world/US. But from what I understand charcoal filters are even too expensive. Municipalities just want to get the chunks and dirt out and add a bit of bleach to kill bacteria and call it a day. Highly variable though depending on where you are in the USA. Many places do different things and you may be completely correct for Colorado.

I know flint, Newark and Colorado all have way different issues going on.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yea the bayou was at bridge level and with it brought lots of poo poo

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Artonos posted:

I don't know where you are in the world/US. But from what I understand charcoal filters are even too expensive. Municipalities just want to get the chunks and dirt out and add a bit of bleach to kill bacteria and call it a day. Highly variable though depending on where you are in the USA. Many places do different things and you may be completely correct for Colorado.

Just in case anyone is reading this, going :stare: and resolving to only drink bottled water from now on... US drinking-water standards for tap water are actually higher than the standards for bottled water. (Both can be considered perfectly safe, though, unless you're in Flint.)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Thesaurus posted:

Thank you for making me aware that I have zero knowledge of how water is cleaned or manages to come out of the faucet in my house
https://engineered.network/causality/episode-11-flint-michigan/

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Just in case anyone is reading this, going :stare: and resolving to only drink bottled water from now on... US drinking-water standards for tap water are actually higher than the standards for bottled water. (Both can be considered perfectly safe, though, unless you're in Flint.)

Wonder how strictly enforced those standards are though.. America is a big place. I still chug my tap water even though it tastes like moldy pipes. Its free basically and I'm poor

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Thesaurus posted:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Artonos posted:

I know flint, Newark and Colorado all have way different issues going on.
Activated charcoal is ridiculously expensive compared to the gold standard goal of sand filter and bleach it. And aquifers (and wetlands/diversions) do have a bit of reduction of organic bullshit that you don't get from surface takeoff. But we've done hosed up our runoff regulations so it's probably going to be a required step in more places to come to not Flint yourself. And even if the run off is contained we were talking about flood water which can pick up otherwise contained pollutants.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

poverty goat posted:

FEMA will only rebuild your house 3 times. Then you're just hosed if you still want to live there

My grandparent's house sat a narrow island right on the ocean near West Palm Beach. It was wrecked by the hurricanes in 2004 but they passed away around that time so we just sold the house and let someone else deal with it.

About 2 or 3 years later FEMA got tired of the paying for the damaged houses in the area and paid for everyone in the neighborhood to jack up their homes one story. Like just lifting them up and building supports underneath. They even have a elevator now.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Tropical Storm a coming... 100 miles east of me

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Man that's some gorgeous foliage

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Milo and POTUS posted:

Man that's some gorgeous foliage

Coming soon to a location near fins!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Megillah Gorilla posted:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Lol

E. This one's the best but my phone won't post it correctly
https://i.imgur.com/AsdIeaO.gifv

King of Bees fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 22, 2019

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

fins posted:

Tropical Storm a coming... 100 miles east of me

Where you at? Tropical storm Karen just suddenly appeared in the Caribbean and is set to hit us in Puerto Rico on Tuesday.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA5_fOC_bx4

Still on track for Puerto Rico tomorrow morning. My rum supplies are fair to moderate, both aņejo and white, so we should be ok.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Godspeed drunk goon and stay lit

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
i heard there was a tropical storm of some kind (maybe it'll be a hurricane?) named Karen and I thought that was funny. what's it going to do, complain to our managers until we die?

:dadjoke:

that is all

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Imagine the smell!

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
aww yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC8jO5vO6jA

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Sjs00 posted:

Godspeed drunk goon and stay lit

Thank you. It's been downgraded to a tropical depression, so my day drinking will be pathetic rather than heroic.

otoh I think Imelda was just a depression when it hosed up Texas with floods last week, so who knows??

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I've also made the #1 mistake of hurricane preparedness, which is opening up my rum cache while the storm is still 12 hours away

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Thesaurus posted:

I've also made the #1 mistake of hurricane preparedness, which is opening up my rum cache while the storm is still 12 hours away

Hopefully the rum will hold out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Thesaurus posted:

Thank you. It's been downgraded to a tropical depression, so my day drinking will be pathetic rather than heroic.

otoh I think Imelda was just a depression when it hosed up Texas with floods last week, so who knows??

Better to be safe than sober