Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

zedprime posted:

If you pick the right geologic features, simply putting it into the aquifer is doing 90% of the treating. Physical filtration does most of what you need and you can get a lot of that from porous rock and/or aggregate strata. So all that remains after pumping it out is something like an activated charcoal filter and a microorganism treatment.

Not sure how prevalent its become but some of the water jurisdictions in California were treating sewer water to be near as drinkable as you can get, but its otherwise discouraged to circulate that straight back into the drinking water loop. So they would pump it into a a low residence time aquifer and pump out "fresh water" out the other end and really the aquifer did the last bit of polishing needed to turn the poop water fully clean and the drinking treatment was easier than dealing with dregs of the Colorado the farmers leave the cities.

I don't know where you are in the world/US. But from what I understand charcoal filters are even too expensive. Municipalities just want to get the chunks and dirt out and add a bit of bleach to kill bacteria and call it a day. Highly variable though depending on where you are in the USA. Many places do different things and you may be completely correct for Colorado.

I know flint, Newark and Colorado all have way different issues going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU