Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

NOW is the time to fill your freezer with ice blocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

RepeatingMeme posted:

Stupid idiots, why y'all living in a place where the weather can kill you? Fuckin morons

*gets killed by uncontrollable wildfires and earthquakes*

Ocean hurricanes are the best disasters to have to deal with because you have a solid week to prepare. Lol at anyone who lives in wildfire/tornado country and double lol if you live on a volcano. You are gonna die horribly and there's nothing you'll be able to do

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Anyone who evacuated once for a dud and decides never to evacuate again has already lost at survival of the fittest and will only live a long life as a matter of luck

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

One thing about the cold is you can always put on more clothes/blankets to get warm. If your power is out in Florida next week you're just hosed, there's nothing you can do to escape swamp rear end hell except get so drunk and stoned you don't notice

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Now is the time to buy water and fill up your gas tank and the fact that it's selling out now is a sign that not everybody in florida is retarded. If you wait until you know you definitely need it for sure this time, it's definitely going to be sold out everywhere and there might not be any more trucks coming to replenish it and if it is for sale anywhere there will be a long rear end line

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the mayor was just pissed that he waited too long to buy water for himself

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

what feelix isnt telling us is he's the one who bought all the bread and milk

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

lmao at using the tub where you piss in the shower and wash your taint as your first-line water reservoir in an emergency

the tub water is for washing dishes and flushing the toilet

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

le me, herpin and derpin to le hardware section of walmart where five gallon buckets of food-grade plastic with airtight lids are only a couple bucks

badass 40 year-old computer janitor dual-wieldling leathermans to get at the last six-pack of fiji water

this is america, most people will never do it if it's not convenient. you can buy water at the grocery store, and you probably have to go there between now and the storm to buy food just to live. the system works.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Will that guy who drove around watching gas stations fall apart on FaceBook Live or whatever during
the last hurricane drive around this storm watching the same stuff happen?

jeff really fell flat last year in light of that guy who almost died and left his phone streaming from the car as it washed away in the storm surge. i hope he understands that he needs to up his game this time around

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

big nipples big life posted:

check this poo poo out

yikes

This would be cat 1/tropical storm for almost the whole track after Florida and that's fine with me in Virginia Beach

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

I like how I roughly 24 hrs it went from “the eye will directly rip off Mickey Mouse statutes” to “it’ll prob hit the Carolinas”

What is it about hurricane weather models that they never seem to predict the northernly turns that almost all Atlantic hurricanes make before crossing Florida.

a right turn has been in the forecast for days, it was just a question of when

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

hurricane chasing streams suck most of the time because 1.) you can't chase a hurricane and 2.) everyone's 4g is out within minutes of landfall. so unless someone fucks up massively right around landfall everyone gets blueballs

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

do any of you guys remember during sandy when that occupy wall street streamer in manhattan was rowing around his flooding basement apartment on a mattress as electronics around him started to smoke, looking for his sobbing girlfriend's cigarettes? that was peak hurricane internet for me and I never found a copy on youtube

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

big nipples big life posted:

I guess you missed the flood truck and the awning, a drat shame.

that and the car warsh were both just people loving up right around landfall, before the internet went out

I'm just saying, it's usually a 30 minute event for the internet. Then you just have to wait for news to trickle in on the other side

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Ruggan posted:

These big predictions for Florida happen every year and there are almost always big whiffs. Like sure, there have been some bad hurricanes but the Keys were supposed to be wiped off the map and stormchaser whatshisname took a joyride on the sole highway there during the hurricane and survived.

The aftereffects always seem much worse than the storm itself.

florida has gotten incredibly lucky in recent years, like when cuba just barely took a bite out of irma as it passed by, or otherwise lucking out with ERC/tide timing. all of those near-eradications of florida were near misses

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Florida used to be famous for its cocaine. How the mighty have fallen.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Port Nassau:

https://www.portnassauwebcam.com

Paradise Island Cam:

https://www.paradiseislandcam.com

Abaco Inn:

https://wxyzwebcams.com/en/west_indies/bahamas/

Note: The follwing cameras in the Bahamas had been operational as of Saturday but were down when last checked on Sunday morning. They are listed here in case they are able to come back up:

Abaco Islands, Calypso Beach

https://www.livebeaches.com/webcams/calypso-beach-cam-bahamas/

Abaco Inn, Green Turtle Cay:

https://www.abacoinn.com

Bengal House, Green Turtle Cay:

https://www.bengalhouse.com/camera

Yacht Harbor, West End:

https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/bahamas/grand-bahama/yacht-harbour-west-end.html

Beach, Old Bahama Bay:

https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/bahamas/grand-bahama/beach-old-bahama-bay.html

i guess they're all down already

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 1, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

port nassau and paradise island do seem to be working intermittently

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

doesn't seem so bad to me

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if you live on a volcano anywhere on earth you've simply failed to learn the lessons of history

and lol at the hampton roads goons sweating this one. it'll be a noreaster by the time it gets here in any case. I look forward to being flooded into sandbridge for a couple of days

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

zedprime posted:

August just ended and the Atlantic is a hot tub right now, if that sucker makes no/partial landfall it's gonna be organized and pushing Cat 1 winds till it passes Maine or makes landfall, whichever comes first. Chesapeake Bay is still very much in the cards to take a cat 1 hit.

It's a bit disingenuous to call this a hit unless it gets here, makes a hard left and then stalls. You're talking about a few hours of really strong wind into the bay before it's far enough north for the wind to reverse course and blow the water back out. It'd be loving great if noreasters could learn that trick.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've volunteered with UMCOR, an offshoot of the united methodist church devoted to disaster relief. They do disaster relief around the country and the region and long after FEMA is gone they'll be there on the ground fixing peoples' homes with a very well-oiled machine. I spent a week in Pensacola with a small team and we partially reframed a couple of old ladies' homes in-place, fixed their roof damage, remediated their mold, and replaced mattresses and appliances that had been moldy/busted for 2 years since they flooded. I'm not religious but it was a great experience, I learned a lot and the recipients were super grateful. You can be sure they'll be in the bahamas and florida and wherever this storm goes, helping people who've slipped through the cracks. If you've got methodist churches around you can probably find a local group to tag along with. They've also got an 89.9 on charity navigator.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 2, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dubar posted:

This only applies to florida. The farther north you go, the more its ok to be in denial that a hurricane is definitlely coming
If we're supposed to evacuate every time it might flood in Hampton Roads just wait till you guys learn about nor'easters. For most of us north of the Carolinas the last big one was the Ash Wednesday Storm of 1962, which happened in march, inundated the coastlines of several states, and included heavy snow.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

What hoax? I'm going to shoot the poo poo out of this storm if it comes here

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

You can just drink your own piss for a couple of days without ill effect. It's mostly water and will rehydrate you

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Treat ocean water as slightly diluted piss.
if the ocean has risen to the point that it is in your home it definitely has human poo poo and piss in it

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the problem is most people wait to drink the piss until they're already out of water and dehydrated, but at that point there's barely any water in your piss either. this is why you should drink your piss first before you even break into your emergency water. you're going to be sweating in the dark anyway so you'll need the salt to replenish your electrolytes

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Hazo posted:

For real. Like, we love to laugh at, and live vicariously through, the dudes live-streaming as they plow through ditches and collapsing gas stations, but the fact that we’re not seeing anything in real time is chilling.

We never see anything in realtime for long after landfall unless it's a wet fart rain-event, even in the US. The internet always goes out shortly after the power. We only know about the car warsh because that happened at the very beginning of the storm. Nobody remembers that jeff fell off the map a few minutes later and spent the rest of the night struggling to tweet that he was ok from a nearby walmart

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

kolby posted:

Then the beer runs out.

Amateurs :rolleyes:

You need beer for 2-3 days, booze and weed for a week. You definitely don't want to be drinking beer for long after the first cooler of ice melts. I like to buy an emergency bottle of 151 and hope I won't need it. The last time we got to the 151 was Isabel, which was a solid week of chainsaws and drunken bbq.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 3, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

This article from earlier this year is fantastic and really captures how much denial the institutions around Florida are about their impending environmental catastrophe. Pretty much every objective scientific forecast shows that places like Miami are going to be under water in a few decades and real estate just shrugs it off with "the city installed pumps, we're fine now" and insurance just assures people that entering a hard market is a good thing because it means rates will go down once it softens again.

what's going to happen is someday a big one will hit, and the flood insurance will run out of money, and their reinsurers will run out of money, and overnight all that coastal property will become uninsurable, the market will implode and it'll cascade up and down all of the hurricane-exposed gulf/atlantic coastline

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Isn’t the eye the peaceful part? Why is the eye hitting the coast bad?

a few inches outside the eye in any direction are the most powerful winds in the whole storm

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Kazak posted:

How easy is it to steal an unattended boat when a hurricanes on the horizon to cover your tracks?

if it washes up in your yard you might be able to keep it under salvage law

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I read an article a long time ago about how you can make a pretty good living in the Caribbean as a guy with a boat, even without trafficking contraband. Tourists are always looking to hire a boat to get to some island, go fishing or snorkeling or just drink and do coke all day, and in between gigs the boat is your mobile home and can go wherever

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

BrownieVK posted:

Is it wrong to be angry this isn't destroying Florida? I feel like this keeps happening and the next time a monster storm rolls around no one will need evacuation orders and it's going to be terrible. I just can't shake the feeling the US deserves it not these small island nations that get bulldozed.

Florida is pretty safe as long as there are all these pesky islands in the way of every hurricane

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

Yeah, we joke about it destroying the US, but in reality, wherever it hits it’s gonna end up loving poor people of whatever color the most. The people we’d love to see get a taste of death and destruction (and guillotine) are never going to suffer.

There are lots of places in Florida that you could park a cat 5 for 36 hours to gently caress mostly rich people

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Wildlife and shoreline damage, kids killed, environmental catastrophe from waste lines and agricultural storage getting damaged

im sure glad that the hurricane got those pesky americans who had the absolute gall to live in florida, they should've just moved to somewhere safe

So you live in Florida? :laugh:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

DreadLlama posted:

A rich guy can afford to use 2x10s where code only calls for 2x6s. He can afford a steel roof - and he doesn't need to wait for government subsidy to put solar panels on it. A rich dude and a poor dude, even if they were next-door-neighbors, do not experience disasters in the same way. You're not wrong in lusting for a hurricane to hit Mar-a-Lago. But it isn't bringing social justice.

It's also wrong to imagine that the rich do not suffer when their homes are destroyed just because they have insurance

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

angerbeet posted:

Sorry your life was destroyed, would you like a still-cold orange?

yeah, what kind of rear end in a top hat delivers food to a disaster area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It should be up to them but I agree that refugee status to those who lost so much should be granted.

Hell yeah let's send them to El Salvador with the others