Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I recently moved to PR.

Ama

And yes, I'm well stocked up on rum, but that is a given regardless of the westher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

soy posted:

what's it like not paying income tax?

do they have good tacos?

Federal employees, of which I'm one, have to pay fed income, no dice :( either way you'd be paying taxes to the local gov, since they have their own income taxes

There is a fast-food chain that is everywhere called "the taco maker" but I haven't been yet. I looks equivalent to taco bell. Food isn't spicy here anyways, just fried meats and fried starches for the most part

I was cruising around the city earlier and it was pretty chill. Blue skies and zero traffic or tourists in the old Spanish fort

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Who What Now posted:

Is it super hot and muggy all the time?

Yeah. But there are gorgeous beaches everywhere and you get the sea breeze there

Burt Sexual posted:

Pfft and you’re gonna want billions more to recover from that!?

Yeah

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

URGENT 3:00PM UPDATE FROM SAN JUAN PUERTO RICO

It's cloudy. drinking this rum and thinking of going down to my condo pool before it gets windy

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

At the risk of letting my guard down....

It's beginning to sound like I got to skip work for a day to chill out at home and drink rum while posting on SA

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

big nipples big life posted:

Is this going to be the 2019 hurricane thread?

No, just the Puerto Rico and/or rum thread

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

lmao it hasn't even rained in San Juan. I just blended up a bunch of tropical fruit with rum, which I had stockpiled, and am now drinking out of celebration rather than fear

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

symbolic posted:

That's a lot of wide open ocean with nothing to really stop it until it hits Florida.

From Puerto Rico with amor

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

soy posted:

And it's almost certainly not going to veer off at all, since there's a massive high pressure system sitting off the coast north of there.
Tell mar a Lago that mayor Carmen yulin Cruz says hello

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

My coworker here in Puerto Rico just dodged Dorian with me, but she is flying straight to Ft Lauderdale tomorrow morning for vacation, straight into the eye of the storm

I think after Maria people just don't give a gently caress anymore

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

None, just grab some crayons and go to town

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Word on the street is that this thing is powering up fast

Someone want to give me a quick explanation of the significance of pressure readings?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Truniht posted:

I’m stuck in the Caribbean trying to get back to Europe

Bad move, home boy. Just stay here, crack open a beer and relax a little

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

it's surreal that on page one I was about to get hit by the thing in Puerto Rico, when it was just moving up to cat 1 status on weds, and now I'm chill as gently caress while the same storm has gone berserk not too far north.

I know the same scenario is probably going to play out a few more times within the next 8 weeks and I might be on the receiving end next time. Living in the Caribbean is going to rapidly turn me into alcoholic

At least the rum is good and cheap

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

The current number is confirmed casualties. It's not uncommon for that number to be low in the initial wake of a major disaster, with the infrastructure shambles most of the relief efforts focused on helping survivors. There are probably thousands of missing persons, but it's too soon and resources are too scant for their status to be verified.

That's exactly what happened with Maria in PR.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Charles posted:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/hurricane-dorian-bahamas-abaco-island-destruction

Fox News, I know, but the correspondent is a good one and on the ground on Abaco, it's pretty terrible :(

Jesus Christ

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

blight rhino posted:

lol. yeah. It rained a bit. And it was kinda windy.

Mom text: "You okay? Storm wise?"
rhino: "Yeah it rained a bit."
mom: "When is it supposed to hit?"
rhino: "It .. did? it was kind of windy"

Glad to hear for goon's 3-day old babby will be okay.

As recently as today, people are still asking me via email at work if we're doing ok here in Puerto rico. The storm passed us by last Wednesday. Didn't even rain.

I think it's a combination of vague associations with Hurricane Maria and a very shaky knowledge of Caribbean geography.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Hurricane Jerry was fixin to hit us in PR, but it appears to be taking a boring and life-saving turn northwards

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

papersack posted:

Hurricane Jerry. Weak rear end name.

I know. extremely nonthreatening

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

zedprime posted:

If you pick the right geologic features, simply putting it into the aquifer is doing 90% of the treating. Physical filtration does most of what you need and you can get a lot of that from porous rock and/or aggregate strata. So all that remains after pumping it out is something like an activated charcoal filter and a microorganism treatment.

Not sure how prevalent its become but some of the water jurisdictions in California were treating sewer water to be near as drinkable as you can get, but its otherwise discouraged to circulate that straight back into the drinking water loop. So they would pump it into a a low residence time aquifer and pump out "fresh water" out the other end and really the aquifer did the last bit of polishing needed to turn the poop water fully clean and the drinking treatment was easier than dealing with dregs of the Colorado the farmers leave the cities.

Thank you for making me aware that I have zero knowledge of how water is cleaned or manages to come out of the faucet in my house

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

fins posted:

Tropical Storm a coming... 100 miles east of me

Where you at? Tropical storm Karen just suddenly appeared in the Caribbean and is set to hit us in Puerto Rico on Tuesday.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA5_fOC_bx4

Still on track for Puerto Rico tomorrow morning. My rum supplies are fair to moderate, both añejo and white, so we should be ok.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Sjs00 posted:

Godspeed drunk goon and stay lit

Thank you. It's been downgraded to a tropical depression, so my day drinking will be pathetic rather than heroic.

otoh I think Imelda was just a depression when it hosed up Texas with floods last week, so who knows??

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I've also made the #1 mistake of hurricane preparedness, which is opening up my rum cache while the storm is still 12 hours away

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

Just heard PR had a 6.0 earthquake wtf man

Yeah lmao. It was way scarier than the storm for me because I've never experienced an earthquake before. My whole condo building was shaking pretty good, but no damage that I know of. The whole island felt it.

Karen just got us in San Juan. Big time rain at the moment. Otherwise just blasting the AC while the electricity holds out

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Karen veered off slightly at the last minute from PR, just like Dorian. The island is still getting heavy rains and flash floods, but I'm sitting pretty and havent lost power :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I really don't want this to come off as me being a dick about it, but I am really glad that I left the island for mainland years ago.

It breaks my heart to see all that tiny island has had to endure; it is my childhood home after all. But my anxiety would not be able to handle all of these close calls half as well as you appear to be taking it.

I don't blame you. I'm not from here so this is my first hurricane season.

I may act like a cool drunken goon online, bit it's actually pretty stressful to be under constant threat of ultra storms, in addition to the regular hosed up infrastructure. More stressful given that I have a young child in school here. I understand why a lot of puertoricans just said NOPE! and took off after Maria wrecked the place.