Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
more embarassing:
This poll is closed.
matrix ripoffs 28 37.33%
pulp fiction ripoffs 47 62.67%
Total: 75 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
wheres the fuckin goku option OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Journey to the West ripoffs are the freaking WORST!

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

sweet thursday posted:

Forrest Gump wasn't retarded

Edit: however if you think movie adaptations of Elmore Leonard stories are Pulp Fiction ripoffs, then you are retarded

Oh watch the movie again, I think you'll find Forrest Gump quite retarded

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Rain Man was retarded before Forrest Gump too.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Mooey Cow posted:

From what I gather "gun-fu" was invented by the director and his friend when they were literally teens and thought it would be cool as heck.

A similar story is behind the 1998 hit movie BASEketball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8O5E5IgsHc

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Schweinhund posted:

17-copycat-films-spawned-from-quentin-tarantinos-pulp-fiction

The reason people can't post examples is because these movies are all forgettable. But they'd play on cable all the time.

Imagine being so stupid you put Elmore Leonard adaptations in this list lmao

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Smythe posted:

Quentin Terantino invented gangsters, violence, and dialogue

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

Worst Pulp Fiction rip off? Gotta be Jackie Brown

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I only just recently played Final Fantasy 9 for the first time, and it was pretty timeless enough that I constantly forgot it came out in like 2000.

Until one of the ending cinematics when all of a sudden the lead character did a bullet time camera swivel thing lol

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Private Cumshoe posted:

Oh man Boondock Saints, even as a teenager I thought that movie was so cringey, especially the ending

:synpa:

But anyway this movie is what wins it for the Pulp Fiction rip offs being the worst.

I have never hated a movie more in my life I think, and I saw it when I was 18.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i didnt realize people hated boondock saints so much lol

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Schweinhund posted:

Godfather ripoffs are also terrible. "Woah, the fat italian guy with a funny nickname just got violently murdered out of nowhere with a household object!" This includes Martin Scorsese movies. Especially Boardwalk Empire. Also The Sopranos. It's all garbage.

This is gonna blow your mind, but the real mob is actually full of fat Italian guys with weird nicknames killing each-other. Like I'm not even joking. Portly middle aged dudes with stupid nicknames is common as gently caress. Also them getting killed.
So like, Coppola didn't invent that.

Big Beef City posted:

Ey I'm playin an ethnic stereotype ova here c'mon

You dudes should visit Jersey or Staten or someplace like those if you think the Goodfellas or Sopranos casts seem like cartoon characters lol.

Grape fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 29, 2019

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

I keep imagining these guys are trying slap each other with fish. It's all those flapping sounds.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

One of the real major mafia bosses of the five families pretended to be a helpless mental patient, making himself look disheveled and wandering around the city aimlessly with minders, all just to make people think he was harmless and not actually in control. And he did this for years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Gigante
Gonna tell me Goodfellas is unbelievable? Pshhh.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Grape posted:

This is gonna blow your mind, but the real mob is actually full of fat Italian guys with weird nicknames killing each-other. Like I'm not even joking. Portly middle aged dudes with stupid nicknames is common as gently caress. Also them getting killed.
So like, Coppola didn't invent that.

Lunch ladies are also fat but we don't need 100 different movies about them with the same elements in every movie.

And they're always the protagonists in these movies. Imagine if people over and over kept making movies where the Nazis were the protagonists. But relatable nazis. After all they're just family men with ordinary problems like you and me. And they have a strict honor code! It's fetishizing the mob.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the "fetishising the mob" guy has logged on

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i'd watch a movie about violent guido lunch ladies

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Schweinhund posted:

Lunch ladies are also fat but we don't need 100 different movies about them with the same elements in every movie.

And they're always the protagonists in these movies. Imagine if people over and over kept making movies where the Nazis were the protagonists. But relatable nazis. After all they're just family men with ordinary problems like you and me. And they have a strict honor code! It's fetishizing the mob.

Godfather maybe. To an extent. With Vito in both 1 and 2.

But Goodfellas makes them look like horrible psychos who end up killing or trying to kill each-other and who end up hosed one way or another. And who also don't actually follow all that much of any kind of code when it gets inconvenient.
And the Sopranos (which I don't even like tbh) is about a bunch of miserable miserable people.

Henry and Michael are extremely awful family men also.
And lol at comparing mobsters to nazis. Come on dude.

EDIT: Also people make lots of movies about stuff like cowboys, space aliens, crooks, specific ethnic crooks, and cops and stuff because these are interesting topics. Unlike lunch ladies. :shrug:

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

That one chubby dude can kick pretty high, though. Impressive.

I'd like to see any of them in a real fight

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

blight rhino posted:

That one chubby dude can kick pretty high, though. Impressive.

I'd like to see any of them in a real fight

by the time you see them, its too late.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Smythe posted:

by the time you see them, its too late.

yeah. True. The whole slapping themselves in the chest with their flailing arms can be really distracting.

And that backwards-sidekick with their calves. I'm just going to run through their... ruins? or whatever they got going on.

The best part is at like :13, where they're ... uhm.. using their own technique on each other.

.. And the one old guy that just legit tries to teach his students by slapping and throwing them around.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Just because you can't see them it doesn't mean they can't see you.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

big nipples big life posted:

Just because you can't see them it doesn't mean they can't see you.

oh, poo poo.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

"do you hear something?"
"yea, it sounds like a flock of pigeons trapped in a garbage b--"

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Grape posted:

One of the real major mafia bosses of the five families pretended to be a helpless mental patient, making himself look disheveled and wandering around the city aimlessly with minders, all just to make people think he was harmless and not actually in control. And he did this for years.

an FBI bug captured a conversation in which Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno and capo Matthew "Matty the Horse" Ianniello were reviewing a list of prospective candidates to be made in another family. Frustrated that the nicknames of the wannabes hadn't been included, Salerno shrugged and said, "I'll leave this up to the boss."

Loll

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Kazak posted:

"do you hear something?"
"yea, it sounds like a flock of pigeons trapped in a garbage b--"
wait, i suck.

JUST RUN, BRO, RUN

im old rick bitch
Oct 19, 2004

How does it feel?

Grape posted:

the oddfather is actually a super sick username mods tia

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

Grape posted:

I like reading about monarchs traveling incognito, like here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_of_Charles_II I think it would have been tougher for old school royalty to do it because how the hell would they know how to fit in with peasants; they'd been raised in a palace. I like to think that there's some universal "fitting in" thing that anybody can access, whether they're royalty or a peasant. "keep your nose down, mind your own business", or something like that.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I still don't get how any of those examples could be considered pulp fiction rip offs. When I hear that I assume the movies copied the main story beats and so on, but apparently if you have a gun or a pop culture reference you've now ripped off pulp fiction?

people are calling boondock saints a pulp fiction rip off. HOW? what did it "rip off" from pulp fiction? and lock stock, what elements of that story were ripped off from pulp fiction?

I'm not saying anything about whether they're good or bad, but I just don't see how they're so similar to pulp fiction that they are actual rip offs

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 30, 2019

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I've not seen Boondock Saints in forever, but I remember thinking to myself at the time that if they dropped the whole "touched by God" thing it would be a better film. Two bumbling wannabe assassins accidentally doing brilliant hits and baffling the cops and the mob.

But instead there's a really weird bit where they're baptised by a leaky toilet and God possess them?

And in the sequel they're hobos eating dinner in Ireland when a ghost comes in and tells them there's more killing to do in America so they go back and do more killing and, as mentioned above, spend half an hour moaning about millennials.

edit: Thinking back I forgot Boondocks Saints 1 also has Willen Defoe in drag seducing dudes with his goblin face. lol

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 30, 2019

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

why on Earth did Dafoe agree to be in that turd lol

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

So basically if there are two dudes with guns in a movie working together THAT is a pulp fiction rip off?
Maybe I just haven't seen boondock saints in like .... Christ I can't even remember.
I'm also surprised it's so deeply hated here.
I don't remember much but don't recall recoiling in disgust while watching it.
(That second one sounds like something pretty impressive though)

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
the dudes also have to act like they're the smarted dudes in the world whilst sounding like complete wankers. (because the dialogue was written by a wanker)

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Truck Stop Stall posted:

I like reading about monarchs traveling incognito, like here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_of_Charles_II I think it would have been tougher for old school royalty to do it because how the hell would they know how to fit in with peasants; they'd been raised in a palace. I like to think that there's some universal "fitting in" thing that anybody can access, whether they're royalty or a peasant. "keep your nose down, mind your own business", or something like that.

The smallpox scarring and deformities would have let them fit in perfectly

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

hawowanlawow posted:

why on Earth did Dafoe agree to be in that turd lol

Willem Dafoe, star of Aquaman

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yea I forget that terrible comic book poo poo pulls big stars

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

You’re right, how could anyone possibly see any similarities between these two movies other than the fact that guns are present, it’s like night and day!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

There's also the scene where someone shoots a cat by accident, compared to the scene in Pulp Fiction where someone shoots a human by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

I still don't get how any of those examples could be considered pulp fiction rip offs. When I hear that I assume the movies copied the main story beats and so on, but apparently if you have a gun or a pop culture reference you've now ripped off pulp fiction?

people are calling boondock saints a pulp fiction rip off. HOW? what did it "rip off" from pulp fiction? and lock stock, what elements of that story were ripped off from pulp fiction?

I'm not saying anything about whether they're good or bad, but I just don't see how they're so similar to pulp fiction that they are actual rip offs

boondock saints definitely ripped off many elements of pulp fiction, even if it's not "a" ripoff